Better life for children???

dangiles

Just told my hubbie he said I called him a fat bastard no gay or faggot come into it ...so made up ! And he called me a bitch first ...I will get off the site now people have been jealous that's the problem my hubbies just said I need to realise that . So I will give you what ya all wAnt ....and no my friends carnt be replaced ! The perth mafia strikes again ! Clicky as hell most of ya only want on here who ya want on !

You got that wrong chook. Most folks on here are OK...........just as you..........You're OK..............just a bit "full on" for most folks, but I don't reckon that lack of "visble acceptance" means rejection. You hang about chook...........you're a breath of fresh air ...........that doesn't mean any lack of response to your posts is rejection of you as a person, but more about how they must try to accept (you)............as in another thread, your O level literary skills (or iphone) is a stumbling block but I'm persevering :-) You also need to realise that "shooting from the hip" may be genuine and honest, but it isn't what most folks are used to, so you need to tolerate/accept them as much as you expect (or hope for) them to tolerate/accept you

Edited by Johndoe

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you every one for your opinions, be it positive or negative about migrating to Australia. I think we probably are a little crazy for wanting to. We both have good jobs, a lovely house (with a mortgage we can afford), nice car, holidays, etc, etc. lots of family and friends around us. But there is still the feeling we would be happier in Australia. We will never know unless we try.

My wife works for a company that has an office in Melbourne, there may be an opportunity for a transfer next year as they will be launching a project that she heads up in the UK. It would give us a lot more security, not to mention the possible relocation package.

You are not crazy! You do get some subjective opinions about life in Australia, from people who love it, and people who hate it. But remember, that it is a fact that people who migrate to Australia and are happy are in the majority and have always been in the majority.

Another thing I've noticed, again subjectively, is that once you have planted the 'seed' in your mind about going to Australia, you have changed your mindset, in a way that makes you different from people who have never considered coming here. It's not a matter of being 'better or worse', 'good or bad' or whatever.

The worst possible argument I've heard on the subject of coming to Australia is the one that goes 'why do it? Why uproot yourself? You've got a good life in GB. It won't be any better in Australia, and it could be worse.' Perhaps it is all true, but don't change your mind because someone else who hated life in Australia tells you to do it. Come and see for yourself!

No doubt you worked your magic on him Quoll and wore him down eventually.

Nope, nothing to do with me - barely saw him for the first 8 years he was here and we're not an "in your pockets" type family. We only came for his wedding (and stayed!) so I guess his wife had more influence than me! He couldn't wait to leave Aus after his last holiday in 2010 though, maybe the then fiancée might have had more to do with it. He genuinely has better opportunities in UK and is enjoying them to the full.

Although I understand posters going on about missing extended family left behind, other families who move here, make it home and their families increase, so they end up with extended family here.

my family is an example of this.

We retired here with all 3 of ours in UK.

My cousin, her brother and parents moved here separately ok from Africa.

fast forward to today:

2 of ours have moved here and have partners here.

my cousin now has 4 grandchildren here, plus they have plenty of cousins.

On Easter Sunday there will be 16 here for the day, grandparents, parents+ children, we will have an Easter egg hunt, eat and drink and just all enjoy being together.

Miss our son who has stayed in UK, but we visit him and grandchildren every year for usually 2 months, so in reality spend a good amount of time with them.

just wanted to put a positive post on, that it isn't always all lonely for families here, especially when your children grow up and start their own families here.

What made you move to Australia @ramot ? leaving all your children behind.

We had lived in Brunei for almost 10 years, our children were adults, and we weren't ready to move back to UK, and the 410 retirement visa made it very easy then. We just wanted a bit more adventure, enjoy the experience of another country while we were young enough, and do what we wanted to do.

12 years later so happy here, but if we weren't we would up sticks and go somewhere else, possibly UK, who knows, have moved all my life, so no real ties to anywhere, have had to make a home in several different countries, and found it easy to settle here (so far!!!)

Have to be honest, do prefer a warm climate, and the 2 who have followed us spent a lot of time in Brunei, and also prefer the life style here rather than UK.

Although I understand posters going on about missing extended family left behind, other families who move here, make it home and their families increase, so they end up with extended family here.

my family is an example of this.

We retired here with all 3 of ours in UK.

My cousin, her brother and parents moved here separately ok from Africa.

fast forward to today:

2 of ours have moved here and have partners here.

my cousin now has 4 grandchildren here, plus they have plenty of cousins.

On Easter Sunday there will be 16 here for the day, grandparents, parents+ children, we will have an Easter egg hunt, eat and drink and just all enjoy being together.

Miss our son who has stayed in UK, but we visit him and grandchildren every year for usually 2 months, so in reality spend a good amount of time with them.

just wanted to put a positive post on, that it isn't always all lonely for families here, especially when your children grow up and start their own families here.

Your experience mirrors that of most people who migrate here, whether in a family or single. I don't know if it matters whether you are migrating with a family or single? (I must do some research on that topic.)

Australia's migrant population come from all over the world, and they all face the same problems, and they all mostly come through them. I've talked to a few people from other parts of Europe, who came here with the intention of retiring 'home', but if they do that, they will rarely see their children and grandchildren. My sister-in-law's parents are the same, with no desire to go to Italy now.

I felt - still feel - guilty about breaking my family up when I came to OZ, I left, then my two brothers followed, one by one, leaving our parents behind. But why just look at the negative aspects? My parents would never have seen Australia, or New Zealand where we have relatives, and they made contact with them for the first time since WW2.

You are right about 'putting a positive post' on too. Looking at all the new adventures and experiences you are going to have for instance. Funny, but there was an article in the Daily Tele yesterday advising parents how to deal with their teenage daughters' anguish about that guy leaving 1D. The writer was telling their parents to treat it as a 'real' feeling, but to encourage them to think about the positive benefits that might come out of his leaving - possibility of a solo career (like Robbie Williams?) 1D carrying on successfully, and in the meantime, sit down and watch their fave 1D videos with them. (I've got the 1D movie to watch too, but no kids to watch it with. I guess I can just watch it and compare it with 'A Hard Day's Night?)

When you are a full time bludger, long weekends lose their significance, although since I started my OU course, I've had to knuckle down and do some 'real' work.

Curse those workers filling up the local bars and cafes.

Looks like terrible weather for the weekend here, so not that exciting for me either!

We had lived in Brunei for almost 10 years, our children were adults, and we weren't ready to move back to UK, and the 410 retirement visa made it very easy then. We just wanted a bit more adventure, enjoy the experience of another country while we were young enough, and do what we wanted to do.

12 years later so happy here, but if we weren't we would up sticks and go somewhere else, possibly UK, who knows, have moved all my life, so no real ties to anywhere, have had to make a home in several different countries, and found it easy to settle here (so far!!!)

Have to be honest, do prefer a warm climate, and the 2 who have followed us spent a lot of time in Brunei, and also prefer the life style here rather than UK.

One of my brothers is staying with me for a couple of weeks, having spent five months in China, and before that constant flying around the world. He does not seem to need a permanent base. He'll go to the US soon for a month's work, which will pay for a year in Malaysia. But I like to have a more permanent group of friends around me and a more stable lifestyle.

I've 'emigrated' three times now, firstly from UK to OZ in 1978, then OZ to the UK in 1996, and thirdly (lastly?) from UK to OZ in 2008. I've not been back to the UK since I arrived in Sydney at Xmas, 2008. I was thinking just the other day what it would be like to go back to England again, no parents and a 'home from home' any more of course, so finding a B & B, then a flat/house, seeing if I could make a new social network. I guess if I moved back to the last village I lived in, there would still be some people who remember me at the pub, but in the village where I was brought up, I'd be an 'alien!'

It can be just as hard moving back 'home', you know! Not for everyone, of course, but some find that after spending their time in OZ, thinking how much they loathe it, and dreaming of 'kissing the sacred turf' as soon as they land back in the UK, it is not the same. People change, move on. You do, they do. It's why half of those who go back to the UK permanently, change their minds!

What is Brunei like? I used to think about flying with RBA(?) to the UK, but never did. I don't think it matters which airline you go with? The quickest, most direct route if you are going 'coach' (as my brother says) and business class if you can afford it on any airline?

Curse those workers filling up the local bars and cafes.

Looks like terrible weather for the weekend here, so not that exciting for me either!

I do want to work, and I have a contract with the ATO, which has given me about six months part time work a year from 2012 to 2014, but nothing yet this year. Nothing since November, 2014, in fact. Just transferred another 2,100 GBP from my UK account today - rent and Royal Mail pension, $4,097 - if only that rate will stay the same, or better! The OU degree fills my time, can even call myself a 'student' rather than a 'bludger' (tho' some people think they are one and the same! They should try studying for a degree!)

Water is still warm in Sydney, and the weather too, so I'll get to the beach, catch up with my other brother and his wife. Last time the brother staying with me was here he stayed with the other brother out in the 'burbs. Totally different lifestyle, staying in every night, home cooked meals, watching entire series of The Walking Dead. With me, it's cafe and pub every day. He's in cafe now so I must go and join him.

Guest Guest66881
Paul 1977 I wish I knew what your problem was....

you have a v well paid job, you live somewhere with great weather 9 months of the year.

yet all you do is complain!!

i mean really, you could go back to blighty if it suited, nobody would mind:cool:

ffs...you wake up, you've got your health, your family, a job.

Think about it, how many people would like to be in your shoes......

have you ever had a loved one die far too young, without getting the chance to enjoy life???

and here you are moaning!!

Really, have a look at the good things you have

But does he, is this the real crux of the matter?

Wholeheartedly agree with this. Seeing your partner for 12 weeks a year, is not an option I'd put myself or my children through. I'd rather live in a tent.

My OH actually spends more time at home than he ever did back in the UK even doing Fifo. 9 straight days at home with no interruptions every month, not many have that even in a "normal" job. And, it's only for a short period of time and will set him up nicely for a very early retirement if he chooses it. So as I said horses for courses but certainly no complaints from me.

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

My OH actually spends more time at home than he ever did back in the UK even doing Fifo. 9 straight days at home with no interruptions every month, not many have that even in a "normal" job. And, it's only for a short period of time and will set him up nicely for a very early retirement if he chooses it. So as I said horses for courses but certainly no complaints from me.

Does your other half not travl back on the 9th day like we do...?

Thank you every one for your opinions, be it positive or negative about migrating to Australia. I think we probably are a little crazy for wanting to. We both have good jobs, a lovely house (with a mortgage we can afford), nice car, holidays, etc, etc. lots of family and friends around us. But there is still the feeling we would be happier in Australia. We will never know unless we try.

I think you need to ask yourself what that feeling is based on? Have you spent much time in Australia in the past? Are you sure you really like Australia for itself, or are you just at that stage in your life when you look around and think "is that all there is?" What are you unhappy about now, that being in Australia will fix?

If you can get a transfer with expenses paid etc, then by all means go for it and treat it as an adventure, not necessarily a forever move. I'd encourage any young singles or couples to give it a go. However once you're a family it all gets much more expensive and complex - so if you'll have to pay your own way, I think you need to ask yourself whether a vague idea of "being happier" is really worth the upheaval and the cost (which could easily top $50,000 by the time you're settled and set up again).

Edited by Marisawright

You are not crazy! You do get some subjective opinions about life in Australia, from people who love it, and people who hate it. But remember, that it is a fact that people who migrate to Australia and are happy are in the majority and have always been in the majority.

Another thing I've noticed, again subjectively, is that once you have planted the 'seed' in your mind about going to Australia, you have changed your mindset, in a way that makes you different from people who have never considered coming here. It's not a matter of being 'better or worse', 'good or bad' or whatever.

The worst possible argument I've heard on the subject of coming to Australia is the one that goes 'why do it? Why uproot yourself? You've got a good life in GB. It won't be any better in Australia, and it could be worse.' Perhaps it is all true, but don't change your mind because someone else who hated life in Australia tells you to do it. Come and see for yourself!

It's been while since I crossed paths with someone that hated Australia. No doubt there are around but not overly obvious. At the same time it is difficult to say how many really love it and how many are indifferent but the cost and effort to get here ensures they make the best of it.

Of course in recent years the insane earnings of some tradies can easily colour perceptions. Most I have crossed paths with find prices very high and work very hard in order to establish themselves.

It depends on age and family commitments as to the point in uprooting oneself. Certain areas of endeavour are far more likely to prosper than others. Come and see it for yourself by all means, but at the same time don't be overly swayed by those that arrived in gentler times. Life is far from a beach.

I think you need to ask yourself what that feeling is based on? Have you spent much time in Australia in the past? Are you sure you really like Australia for itself, or are you just at that stage in your life when you look around and think "is that all there is?" What are you unhappy about now, that being in Australia will fix?

If you can get a transfer with expenses paid etc, then by all means go for it and treat it as an adventure, not necessarily a forever move. I'd encourage any young singles or couples to give it a go. However once you're a family it all gets much more expensive and complex - so if you'll have to pay your own way, I think you need to ask yourself whether a vague idea of "being happier" is really worth the upheaval and the cost (which could easily top $50,000 by the time you're settled and set up again).

Could say the same for those moving back :wink:

Our kids have it better here.

Three or four reasons:

Outdoors. We didnt have a back yard in Yorkshire and wouldnt have had much of one anyway going to a 3 bed semi. Our 1/5 acre block has a bunch of space for the kids to play in.

Holidays are all over the place but every summer, spring and autumn we go north towards a beach or waterpark/pool. Winter is more inland/national park visits. (Swan Hill tomorrow). Kids could never have done the amount of outdoor splashing and swimming we have done here.

The beach is fifteen minutes away from home and ten minutes from my work. Many a work day finishes with us meeting at the beach for a half hour swim before going home for dinner. In summer weather, at least one visit per week.

Cousins are only over here for us, but we only see them four or five times per year anyway. No cousins in the uk, just two grandparents and an uncle. The other uncle is in Iraq or Syria, i think (aide worker for save the children).

Funny, but being an Australian who brought his kids up in the UK I had to comment on this.

1. Didn't have a backyard in Perth, but have a lovely one in the UK, backing onto a stream, with walking trails that lead into the woods and up to the downs. We are fifteen minutes from the beach, and I can see the sea from my office, and often go for a walk along the beach on my lunch break.

2. Holidays are all over the UK and Europe. Didn't tend to go anywhere in Perth as it was so far away and so expensive (cheaper for now I know)

3. But my kids miss their family. They have an uncle and a grandma here, but when people from Australia Visit, they really light up. You can't sunstitute family.