Better life for children???

dangiles

Mining and oil and gas single handedly made WA the most expensive place to live from the cheapest.. With it all finishing it will have a massive knock on effect in the next 12/24 months , and if the mining wasn't what made it the most expensive place to live what was it..?

That and the greed that accompanied it. Prior to the boom, Perth was a really fair priced place to live. Mid naughties things began to get out of whack.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cut backs are only needed if the governments based their future spend on predicted income from the boom time continuing (which they probably and stupidly did). The economy was rolling along as always before the boom, no reason as to why it should now. Then throw a few good extras in once they have the money in their pockets from any future boom time.

Things were a little slow late 90's and early 00's. GST introduced and First Home Buyers payment kicked in in order to stimulate housing.

If the price of oil, gas and iron ore goes up though, the way they make more profit is to start up more oil wells, start exploration again, open pits that have been put on the back burner, start projects that have been shelved for now. If this happens there will be a massive push for well qualified and trained personnel again.

Got to admire your optimism P1P, but....those activities you mentioned, even if they happen, aren't really going to create too many new jobs, and certainly not on the scale of those produced by the huge LNG construction projects. There will be no massive push for well qualified and trained personnel..what has happened in WA/Perth over the last 5 years is a 'once in a lifetime' event - if you 'rode it' and did well out of it, then congratulations to you. In recent times, and with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, 5-6 years ago was the perfect time to move to Oz from the UK - lots of job opportunities both directly related to mineral resources and indirectly (as government coffers fill with additional taxes and duties). reasonable house prices (although already on the 'up' at that time).

There won't be any new large LNG construction projects any time soon, because the local market is saturated and has all the LNG plants that Oz needs.

Exploration doesn't create many jobs. All the big offshore gas fields have just about been discovered - there are probably smaller ones waiting to be found, but the economics of their recovery aren't sound, and even if a large field is discovered, chances are it will be fed into an existing LNG plant.

There will be small (compared to LNG construction anyway) projects...capacity upgrades, rehabilitation and suchlike, but these will be relatively short-term, requiring no more than a couple of hundred workers at most to see them through.

The really good times have been and are on their way out...not to say things will be dire, but they certainly will be different, especially if you are a new or pending arrival basing your expectations on what happened between 2 and 6 years back.

Edited by TerryDXB

That and the greed that accompanied it. Prior to the boom, Perth was a really fair priced place to live. Mid naughties things began to get out of whack.

What do you mean by greed :) I know what greed is obviously but what do you me by the greed that accompanied it ...in my terms what I understand plz lol no big words I mean I'll Afto google them else lol. Do you mean wages ?

Edited by Shellybingobingo

Mining and oil and gas single handedly made WA the most expensive place to live from the cheapest.. With it all finishing it will have a massive knock on effect in the next 12/24 months , and if the mining wasn't what made it the most expensive place to live what was it..?

It's never been the most expensive place to live. That was just a fallacy put about by the press. We've not been close to Sydney and Melbourne with house prices for equivalent places and this year their property markets have been going gangbusters for some reason. They don't even have a mining boom to back it up and have more unemployment than here.

One of the driving factors is the auction market I think. Over here I've noticed a few more auctions than there were 6 months ago. Hope it doesn't take off.

If the price of oil, gas and iron ore goes up though, the way they make more profit is to start up more oil wells, start exploration again, open pits that have been put on the back burner, start projects that have been shelved for now. If this happens there will be a massive push for well qualified and trained personnel again.

Got to admire your optimism P1P, but....those activities you mentioned, even if they happen, aren't really going to create too many new jobs, and certainly not on the scale of those produced by the huge LNG construction projects. There will be no massive push for well qualified and trained personnel..what has happened in WA/Perth over the last 5 years is a 'once in a lifetime' event - if you 'rode it' and did well out of it, then congratulations to you. In recent times, and with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, 5-6 years ago was the perfect time to move to Oz from the UK - lots of job opportunities both directly related to mineral resources and indirectly (as government coffers fill with additional taxes and duties). reasonable house prices (although already on the 'up' at that time).

There won't be any new large LNG construction projects any time soon, because the local market is saturated and has all the LNG plants that Oz needs.

Exploration doesn't create many jobs. All the big offshore gas fields have just about been discovered - there are probably smaller ones waiting to be found, but the economics of their recovery aren't sound, and even if a large field is discovered, chances are it will be fed into an existing LNG plant.

There will be small (compared to LNG construction anyway) projects...capacity upgrades, rehabilitation and suchlike, but these will be relatively short-term, requiring no more than a couple of hundred workers at most to see them through.

The really good times have been and are on their way out...not to say things will be dire, but they certainly will be different, especially if you are a new or pending arrival basing your expectations on what happened between 2 and 6 years back.

Our LNG is mostly for export. At prices a lot less than we pay for it.:mad:

My boys have said the same - the one who came to UK "on holiday" said at the time that there was no way he would raise a family in UK because he appreciated his Aus childhood. Fast forward 12 years and he can't even be bothered to go back to Aus for holidays, he has a son who has, as he sees it, more opportunities as a child than he had. He sees that his wife had a happy and enriched upbringing in UK and that it's what he does as a parent that makes for a happy little lad not the country. I daresay that if he hadn't come "for a holiday" he would have been quite content swimming in the little Aussie pond but having experienced London and so many more places on holiday and for work he says he has no interest in ever returning to Aus.

I think most of us have had childhoods that we think were great and what we aspire to for our kids and really that's all down to the parents not the place.

For sure, my daughter has the benefit of having lived most of her life in the UK and travelled to Europe and the US before we migrated, at this moment in time, she can't contemplate returning to the UK for a visit - that might change who knows, but when and if that time comes, I hope to emulate my dad who supported us all the way.

Thank you every one for your opinions, be it positive or negative about migrating to Australia. I think we probably are a little crazy for wanting to. We both have good jobs, a lovely house (with a mortgage we can afford), nice car, holidays, etc, etc. lots of family and friends around us. But there is still the feeling we would be happier in Australia. We will never know unless we try.

My wife works for a company that has an office in Melbourne, there may be an opportunity for a transfer next year as they will be launching a project that she heads up in the UK. It would give us a lot more security, not to mention the possible relocation package.

Thank you every one for your opinions, be it positive or negative about migrating to Australia. I think we probably are a little crazy for wanting to. We both have good jobs, a lovely house (with a mortgage we can afford), nice car, holidays, etc, etc. lots of family and friends around us. But there is still the feeling we would be happier in Australia. We will never know unless we try.

My wife works for a company that has an office in Melbourne, there may be an opportunity for a transfer next year as they will be launching a project that she heads up in the UK. It would give us a lot more security, not to mention the possible relocation package.

Just how much more you expecting then..? But of sun on your back..?'

It's never been the most expensive place to live. That was just a fallacy put about by the press. We've not been close to Sydney and Melbourne with house prices for equivalent places and this year their property markets have been going gangbusters for some reason. They don't even have a mining boom to back it up and have more unemployment than here.

One of the driving factors is the auction market I think. Over here I've noticed a few more auctions than there were 6 months ago. Hope it doesn't take off.

House prices your right, melbourne and sydney are more expensive but everything else perth is the most expensive in Australia

One can't talk and the other wants to move to England , kids don't understand.. They fit in anywhere and are not materialistic like adults as proved in this thread

Who's materialistic, you? How long have you been here and why? I seem to remember you saying you are here for the money then asap you'll bugger off as soon as you can?

Who's materialistic, you? How long have you been here and why? I seem to remember you saying you are here for the money then asap you'll bugger off as soon as you can?

Adults are materialistic not children.. Adults belive that a big house, a beach and a park will be a better life .. I grew up in a flat in north london, have fond memories of the bus and tube.. How big was my bedroom ...? **** knows

Adults are materialistic not children.. Adults belive that a big house, a beach and a park will be a better life .. I grew up in a flat in north london, have fond memories of the bus and tube.. How big was my bedroom ...? **** knows

See your assumptions are so wrong. Living the life we are here with the income we have coming in, we could have a 1.5 million dollar property, but no we didn't want that and didn't want to take that risk. We built on just about one of the cheapest suburbs on one of the cheapest blocks because we are not materialistic and because we want our children to have us around and if OH loses his job we could afford the mortgage on the cheapest of wages. Even so on a material level we are streets ahead to what we would have been financially in the UK.

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

I think as you get older you are much less materialistic- to the extent many of us start 'offloading' as we realise that we can't take any of it with us, basically. Personally I have never been that materialistic- prefer the love of my family any time and all I need is enough to eat, somewhere to live and good health. It is shallow to think of things more than people, doesn't get you anywhere at all!

Don't get it in the area of Scotland I came from. I would happily have brought up my kids in Galloway.

You didn't get it near me niether ok ...you will get riff raff you will get that anywhere you live ...I felt safe in my own town ...not saying I don't feel safe here but I certainly wouldn't walk to the garage on my own at night ....I would back home though . And I also think some of the crimes I hear ,here are more vicious than uk . I know uk isn't a bed of roses crime wise but here certainly isn't niether :)