Better life for children???

dangiles

I'm Listening to next door neighbours kids having an Easter Egg hunt, I'm wondering where the heck the years have gone. Wherever you live if you still have little ones enjoy them.

Looking foreward to Sunday with 4 little ones here, but the hunt might have to be inside if the forecast is right.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better life for children???

I don’t think so tbh. I can’t see how my child would be happier, busier, or a more rounded person as a consequence of a move to Aus. She has a different lifestyle to her Aussie cousins but different doesn’t always mean better or worse. They are just happy kids, they have all done well at school, are busy with all sorts of things and are growing into decent well adjusted adults. Kids get on with life and don’t worry about the weather, the traffic, how long it takes to get to the beach/ europe/ find a parking space……..adults worry about the minutiae but kids, if they have the basic stuff, just enjoy being kids where ever they live ime. Tx

I think bringing up little uns here must be great....it's got it everything you need and want as a parent.

plenty of sunny days, lots to do for free. I mean kids love a beach, plus all the events that the city puts on.

who needs a TV to entertain the kids:wink:

but....I do too think I was lucky, having kids that were brought up in Europe, not so much the UK, but even then, they were exposed to a nitty gritty that maybe WA brought up kids don't experience.

personally I say its not all about a school education, but an education on life.if I had my time again with my kids, I would have done a lot more travelling with them, but I got sucked into the, education is everything movement, don't move them cis it will cos lots of damage....meh.

I believe now that a well travelled, exposed to lots of different situations is just as good a way to educate a child, along with formal learning.

Havent had the talk with my daughters yet but, although as a family I think Aus will now be our homeland for a lot of decades, I hope any future grandchildren get to enjoy what my daughters have, ie partying in Ibiza, skiing in Slovakia, cruises to Sweden, expat life in Spain, holidays in Greece etc.

i think we are dam lucky that we have those choices.

My son had 3 months off a couple of years ago. Some of the FIFO companies are really understanding. He'd only been with them a few months and when he mentioned it to me I said good luck with that and advised him if it meant losing the job over a long holiday, not to go for so long. He ran it by them and they just said he would have to take unpaid leave for a lot of it but they would "work round it", as they put it. I was surprised to say the least. He had a 3 week boat trip round the Greek Islands to start with, then another boat trip off Dubrovnik, had a couple of weeks in Ibiza, went to Belgium for tomorrowland then the states. LA for another music concert and then Las Vegas. He met a Canadian girl on the trip so decided to shoot off and see her, then the two of them went to New York for a few days.:cool:

He ran out of money a bit early and rang work to see if he could go back in a week early. No problem they said.

He's been to tomorrowland the last 3 years, nipped over to see a DJ he liked in Sydney one weekend, been back to the states a couple of times, it's a different lifestyle allright.

My main worry being here in the u.k,was how are my girls going to afford a property.....but it appears this is now an issue in oz

When I lived there in the 90s ,very young couples,could put in a big 5 years and pay their mortgage off...is this still the case ?

Depends what you earn bunbury. My son could do it and I know a couple of his mates working FIFO have houses, rented a room out and nearly paid off the mortgage at 25. In decent suburbs too. We are trying to talk our eldest into maybe getting a house and renting a room out. He could, easily but he's been too interested in travel and having a good time for the last few years.

I think parents always worry and wonder how their kids will make a go of it but they (and we) usually do somehow. I'm sure my parents used to worry about me. I could have bought a house cash when I was working shift work for the NCB, when I was about 25. The guys I worked with used to advise me to get one. My reply was along the lines of what do I want a house for? I was more interested in beer, going out and having a good time and holidays. Bit like my son now I think about it.

Went to Uni at 30, blew all the saving I had, had to start on a graduate training scheme when I was 33, got married a couple of years later and worried about buying a house for 22,000 pounds. Emigrated a few years later, blew the savings again and we started again. Somehow we get there in the end.

Is it sustainable? Wouldn't governments love to know.:yes: Seems every country has massive debts that they just keep passing on to the next government. One day it's going to come home to roost and there will be a huge correction I think. Our kids will get through it. Our grandparents and parents got through wars, depressions, booms, busts and I'm sure you've seen a few yourself. Life goes on mate.:cool:

Just give it twelve month and there will only be 20 houses over 400k .... :)

What do you reckon is going to happen to the Sydney and Melbourne markets then Shelley? They've not had a mining boom to drive the prices and they are heaps more than Perth for equivalent housing.