Better life for children???

dangiles

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For us neither is better or worse. Our kids have had two periods living in Australia, one as small children and one as teenagers. There really is very little difference, except that we had a pool in Australia which we don't have here.

They've had opportunities to do lots of different sports and activities, had a fantastic education (bar their awful school in Sydney) and have friends all over the world.

They haven't learned to surf which they probably would have done if we'd stayed in Australia, and we can't spend weekend at the beach or by the pool here, but they've had different opportunities. Ive lost count of the number of European exchange trips they've been on and the fact that their studies are usually enhanced by an affordable visit to what they're studying - my younger two went to Greece when they were doing classical civilisation and the youngest is off to Berlin in October as part of her history A level. These things may not be important to you, but are obviously easier from the UK.

I found parenting small children easier in Australia because of the weather - I hated having to bundle three little ones up in coats and wellies for months at a time - it took so long to do! Slapping sunscreen on is a lot less effort!

I look at what my daughters' friends in Australia are doing now and it's very similar to what they and their friends are doing in the UK. They're at uni, doing the same courses, all having fun and have grown into lovely, confident, articulate young adults.

In the end it's up to you. If you want to go and experience living somewhere else, then go, but don't necessarily buy into the fact that it'll be better for your son. It may be, it may not be, but children tend to be happy as long as their parents are happy.

but I'd disagree about Gordon Brown he wasn't responsible for the GFC

Of course he wasn't...but he was responsible for encouraging a consumer driven credit boom that left the country in a sorry state and struggling when the GFC did hit home. At least his colleagues had the decency to leave a note to the incoming government the effect of 'sorry old chap, there's no money left'

My OH actually works on Gorgon now contracted until December but he could be called back by his firm and sent elsewhere at anytime.

Hope it goes well for both of you...and the other 5000 or so who will be looking for jobs when Gorgon is finished...there are no new projects being started, so where do you think 'elsewhere at anytime' might be?

Our eldest was 2 when we came. We lived close by to my wifes parents so he saw them a lot but once we were here I can't remember him ever saying he missed them or anything. Obviously we didn't have the help of any relations or friends when we came so I think it made the bond between my wife and I and our son stronger. We were the ones taking him to daycare, picking him up, doing everything with him. Before I got a job (I was out of work for 5 months when we came) I used to get the bike with the child seat on the back and go exploring for miles every day. Just take a few sandwiches and drinks, go round the river or one of the other bike paths, find a park to have a picnic in. I look back really fondly on those times spent with my son and he remembers being on the bike seat sightseeing.

I don't believe they've missed out on anything, they're certainly a lot fitter, do more sport, cycling, swimming, than any of their cousins that are in the UK. Both me and the wife are sporty though so that might have something to do with it. We have always loved the beach, live very close to a beautiful one and the kids have been used to being down there. Our eldest saw the surf club and the "nippers" running around Sunday mornings and wanted to join as soon as he could. He joined at 7, loved it, was always a good swimmer and competitor. His best friend is from the surf club and he still sees kids around that he knows from his surf club days. I ended up coaching him at the surf club and AFL until he was about 15. Great fun, for him and me. I would recommend getting involved with whatever your kids do as much as possible.

The youngest one has autism but still wanted to join the surf club and play footy. He was never the best at concentrating though and the poor kid who was marking him at footy needed knew eardrums at the end of a game as all he did was chat.

He's never been a great competitor as he really has no concept of racing or going as hard as you can. He helps out managing an age group now so is still involved at 19. People from the club have been great with him and it's like a second home.

They both have jobs, Eldest is an apprentice trained sparkie, working FIFO, on good money (more than I earn for working half a year). The youngest works in a local coffee shop, where they know about his autism and treat him well.

It's worked well for us and I see what opportunities their cousins have had in the UK. It was either going to Uni or try and get a job. There were no apprenticeships. It might have changed as I've heard the UK is picking up a bit. Their cousins are from Manchester, two boys there, really struggled one is 25, never worked in a proper job and is doing an acting course in London at the moment. Youngest one is same age as my youngest and had to go back to college to see if he can get a few more qualifications. Has a part time job in toys are us though.

2 girls and a boy cousins in Melton Mowbray. Girls went to Uni, ones a maths teacher and the other an architect with her own business. Boy is in the army.

2 more girls from Tolpuddle. Parents are both teachers so they were always going to be teachers. Both went to uni in Manchester (where there parents are from) and are both qualified to do teacher training but have taken a year out. One in China, one in France. They will have to get a job this year though and start paying some of their debts off.

I'm sure kids can make a success of it in either country but if they like sport and an outdoor lifestyle then I think here is better.

but I'd disagree about Gordon Brown he wasn't responsible for the GFC

Of course he wasn't...but he was responsible for encouraging a consumer driven credit boom that left the country in a sorry state and struggling when the GFC did hit home. At least his colleagues had the decency to leave a note to the incoming government the effect of 'sorry old chap, there's no money left'

My OH actually works on Gorgon now contracted until December but he could be called back by his firm and sent elsewhere at anytime.

Hope it goes well for both of you...and the other 5000 or so who will be looking for jobs when Gorgon is finished...there are no new projects being started, so where do you think 'elsewhere at anytime' might be?

He isn't employed there, merely seconded, his trade isn't reliant on mining or oil & gas so he can go back to the workshop, or he could be sent offshore . The project was only ever supposed to last a finite time so it is no surprise to anyone. Or he may be asked to stay on for the maintenance contract.

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

He isn't employed there, merely seconded, his trade isn't reliant on mining or oil & gas so he can go back to the workshop, or he could be sent offshore . The project was only ever supposed to last a finite time so it is no surprise to anyone. Or he may be asked to stay on for the maintenance contract.

The Oil, gas and mining industries are still going to be massive employers for a long time yet. Everyone sees the bad news and the layoffs but have a look on-line about how many resource projects there are in WA and then consider the working population.

http://www.businessmapsaustralia.com.au/products/wa-major-resource-projects

You have to hover your mouse over the map for an enlargement.

A lot of the layoffs have been interstate people and others on 457 visas. My son changed jobs about 2 months ago, he's a sparkie so they are still in demand, as are most trades people. Might be a bit different if you are middle management, on a good salary and get laid off, granted.

The Oil, gas and mining industries are still going to be massive employers for a long time yet. Everyone sees the bad news and the layoffs but have a look on-line about how many resource projects there are in WA and then consider the working population.

http://www.businessmapsaustralia.com.au/products/wa-major-resource-projects

You have to hover your mouse over the map for an enlargement.

A lot of the layoffs have been interstate people and others on 457 visas. My son changed jobs about 2 months ago, he's a sparkie so they are still in demand, as are most trades people. Might be a bit different if you are middle management, on a good salary and get laid off, granted.

I thought Wheatstone was ramping up, yet twice on here now someone has said its coming to an end. Confused.com!

PIP: You have to hover your mouse over the map for an enlargement.

That maps uses data that is over two years old...since then, oil price has dropped by about 50%, placing the economic viablity of any energy related project in doubt. And that's anywhere in the world..not just Oz.

Between now and 2018, all big Oz based energy (mostly LNG) projects will be onstream and the need for construction based activities will be hugely reduced. The thousands of construction workers who have made big bucks during the build phase, will be looking for jobs, but there will be no projects for them to go to - some might get taken on for maintenance, but what about the thousands that won't? For the forseeable future, there will be oil, gas and mining related jobs in Oz, just significantly fewer of them and with an oversupply of skill, market forces will take over and salaries will drop.

Good luck to you, QSS and your families - but the topic for this thread is Better life for children???. I am genuinely really pleased that the timings of your moves to Oz has worked out well for you...but in the current economic climate, do you really think that anyone should be moving to Oz without a guaranteed job without giving it a long hard think? Not much fun for kids if their parents are have either money problems and are continually worried about not having a job.

Edited by TerryDXB

I'm working on barrow Island and can confirm layoffs during this year, wheatstone is a little bit behind barrow but once their finished then that is it.. Construction is done.. Thousands will be searching work with nothing in the pipeline for oil and gas and mining .. Boom is over

Back to the original question -

In lots of ways yes. We have a big yard that they can play in all year around. They enjoy doing outdoor sports all year (part of that is me as I hate the cold and wouldn't have traipsed around football grounds all winter). So because of the climate they are probably fitter and healthier in that respect.

We do a lot more walking and exploring than we did in the UK. I think a part of that is that you take your own backyard for granted so don't make the most of it. When you move somewhere new, you realise all the places you can go.

Of course the flip side is taking them away from family. We didn't have any family local to us, so the every day contact wasn't an issue. However still the monthly contact with grandparents and extended family instead of the once or twice a year (albeit for much longer periods) that we have now

UGL have the maintenance

Back to the original question -

In lots of ways yes. We have a big yard that they can play in all year around. They enjoy doing outdoor sports all year (part of that is me as I hate the cold and wouldn't have traipsed around football grounds all winter). So because of the climate they are probably fitter and healthier in that respect.

We do a lot more walking and exploring than we did in the UK. I think a part of that is that you take your own backyard for granted so don't make the most of it. When you move somewhere new, you realise all the places you can go.

Of course the flip side is taking them away from family. We didn't have any family local to us, so the every day contact wasn't an issue. However still the monthly contact with grandparents and extended family instead of the once or twice a year (albeit for much longer periods) that we have now

I'm guessing you don't have a new built house, no garden at all

I think many people wrestle with this idea (most people have had this thought at one time or another as they decide to relocate over to Australia).

There is no answer though. It really depends. Everyone is different, and even if you settle on an idea at one time, for example: It will all be better for family life in Australia, by the time you go you will have changed your mind back-and-forth many times and felt confused or possibly anxious! (I know I have...).

It's a big, big thing, and it could be brilliant. Or it might not be so good, or very hard work, and you might think it's been a big mistake... How can you really know? Asking questions on here can give you an amount of insight, but you only get snippets of people's experiences and background. And if you really want to know more about others experiences, you need to spend all your 'spare' time on PIO, which isn't really living a life at all (IMHO).

There is only one way to find out, as there is only one you!

Edited by Captain Roberto
clarity

I think many people wrestle with this idea (most people have had this thought at one time or another as they decide to relocate over to Australia).

There is no answer though.

...and I don't think it matters. You can't tell what the future will bring, so how can you know whether it will be better for your kids or not? If you're coming to Australia it should be for YOU, not for some distant and unpredicatble future for your kids.

I'm one of the world's natural worriers (sorry!) - which logically makes little sense. But I just am, and most of my family are too. It's a real waste of time and energy, but I do it all the same! So I can worry about all this stuff a lot. But it's pretty pointless really. For anything you can do something about, do something - for other things you can't do anything about, don't worry about it.

So, if you decide to come to Australia, do the best with all the things you can do something about. and the rest, there's no point stressing. This is what I try to tell myself. So in reference to the OP and the subject of this thread, do what you can. and try not to worry about the stuff that's almost impossible to control. That's the best you can do, and that's good enough.

??

I will start by saying we do not have children. But, in some ways that makes me a bit more objective.

From, my experience, i do not see kids being more outdoors than in the UK or even here in the arctic. In fact, in my suburb, we rarely see any of the kids playing outside except for a couple of hours on the beach on a saturday morning.

At the same time, we have nieces and nephews in the UK who we are very close to. They are out all the time doing things like football, netball, camping and off to the park to have fun.

Here, in northern Sweden, i actually see more kids out playing than i do in Oz. There is a ski centre in the middle of the town and it is busy most nights. Teens are out a lot on the snow mobiles and snow boards. About the only thing not used at the moment are the children's swings and things as they are buried in snow.

As for when they grow up? Who knows. At the moment, Oz has just as serious an issue with young people being unemployed as the UK. Both have issues with drugs and gangs and crime.

I myself, had a great upbringing in the UK - to say i was out doors a lot would be an understatement. I was never in! Camping all the school holidays with friends - summer and easter. Christmas, down the woods sleding in the snow. During school terms, out just having fun playing things like spotlight.

When you board the plane to Oz, you dont get covered in some sort of magic dust that means your life is now so much better. It is just different.

A number of posts have mentioned houses being bigger. But, a lot of the posters have been in Oz a long time. The average tradie moving from one average salary to another average salary in Oz, is going to find, in most cities, they simply can not afford one of them big houses - a tradie earning the mid $60k simply cant afford a $500k+ mortgage, let alone a $1m mortgage that a nice house with a decent garden and not a million miles from the city requires.

There are lots of reasons for wanting to move to Oz, or many other countries. But, a better life for children simply is not one of them

So, if you decide to come to Australia, do the best with all the things you can do something about. and the rest, there's no point stressing. This is what I try to tell myself. So in reference to the OP and the subject of this thread, do what you can. and try not to worry about the stuff that's almost impossible to control. That's the best you can do, and that's good enough.



But surely, if you haven't decided yet, you owe it to yourself to think about the good AND the bad? And you also owe it to your family to make sure you're moving for the right reasons?

I came to Australia at a time when the UK was in a dreadful state, and Australia was booming, so the advantages of moving were obvious. When I see Brits wanting to move to Australia now, I'm not so clear what the motivation is - because these days one country offers no real advantage over the other, they're just different. You may have your head screwed on, but I worry when I see other would-be migrants talking about "living the dream" - life in Australia is not a dream, it's pretty much the same as life anywhere!

So I make no apology for pointing out the downsides of migrating, particularly as I know half of it will be ignored - people never want their bubble burst. Recently I read a post where a woman said they'd come to Australia on a recce, and met with someone who warned them about a few negatives to look out for. They brushed her concerns off, but now they're living in Australia they see that she was spot-on! I had a very similar experience myself.

I wouldn't discourage any singles or childless couples to just go for it - if you're fancy free, it's a great adventure. I came out as part of a couple. We didn't have many belongings so it didn't cost much, and because we had no kids we didn't mind roughing it at first and living in a tiny flat until we'd got on our feet. But I do think people with families need to think carefully about why they're doing it, whether it's worth the cost etc.

Reforming alcoholics talk about "doing a geographic". I'm not talking about you - I don't know enough about you to make a judgment - but I'm sure I've seen a few people on these forums who are "doing a geographic" when they move to Oz - and of course, it doesn't solve anything.

https://walterjacobsonmd.com/positive-psychology-personal-development-self-help-happiness-success/

Edited by Marisawright

There is no answer though. It really depends. Everyone is different, and even if you settle on an idea at one time, for example: It will all be better for family life in Australia, by the time you go you will have changed your mind back-and-forth many times and felt confused or possibly anxious! (I know I have...).

It's a big, big thing, and it could be brilliant. Or it might not be so good, or very hard work, and you might think it's been a big mistake... How can you really know? Asking questions on here can give you an amount of insight, but you only get snippets of people's experiences and background. And if you really want to know more about others experiences, you need to spend all your 'spare' time on PIO, which isn't really living a life at all (IMHO).

There is only one way to find out, as there is only one you!

I spend my spare time on sites and reading stuff ...and you are correct of course ya not living the life doing that ...that has just answered the op really why do people spend so much time on sites . I have a excuse I'm on my Billy ATM haha :) people are entitled to a opinion the way it's been for the ...they don't deserve be cast off in the negativity bin . My mate is having a reall hard time in perth ATM like u wouldn't believe ...inskype her and phone her and keep her going , she's ready off back ...but it's not so simple for her so she's not being negative ..I cannot believe how harsh people here have been if they see negativity ...what if it was them ...still be looking on the bright side or worried sick how ya going make ya mortgage payment like my mate ! It's a sad state of affairs to come half way across the otherside of world to end up in that situation it's a real shame not negativity :) and that comes with having no work ....it doesn't matter how low interest rates go if u got no job u cannot afford it and it's a shame :)

Edited by Shellybingobingo

I don't think its negativity, I think it's people being honest.

There is no right and wrong, and people's personal experiences shouldn't be judged.

Do I think my kids have a better life here? No. Not at all.

If we were to be in the UK now, and considering a move here, I really would think twice.

This negativity is ruining this Site. Such a shame.

Always space for happy on these forums,...... and sad, angry, frustrated, excited, nervous, bewildered and lost. We've got it all here!