What are main reasons for returning to uk?

Mazza227

In the UK it is illegal to let a dog off lead in a public place. So it is actually illegal to do so.......I asked a ranger here once while I was walking a huge GSD through a park in Waikiki why he was turning a blind eye to a woman walking a a little lap dog through the park unleashed and he said unless there is a sign on the park saying dogs on leash only, then there was nothing he could do. Still a bit confused to be honest. Any dogs I walk are always on the lead due to our duty of care and I only let mine off on the dog beach, but he's a moron and would run off to play with any dog regardless if they bit him or not. So still not sure what the ridiculous dog laws are?

I get you lovely....just sick n tired of the FB posts in my area about dogs off leash. Not everbody has a car to go to the beach.

i walk my dogs with the local walking group, 7ks at least four nights a week on leash, but it doesn't cut it with them, they want to run and play ball. That's what does it for them. Coming from the UK and used to miles off unleashed walks through fields and trees its hard on them.

i personally find it v restricting here for dogs

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get you lovely....just sick n tired of the FB posts in my area about dogs off leash. Not everbody has a car to go to the beach.

i walk my dogs with the local walking group, 7ks at least four nights a week on leash, but it doesn't cut it with them, they want to run and play ball. That's what does it for them. Coming from the UK and used to miles off unleashed walks through fields and trees its hard on them.

i personally find it v restricting here for dogs

If you trust your dogs Id just do it. Never seen anyone told off unless they are viscous . My dog would run over and try and play with a salivating devil dog! So I can't do it but I know a lady local to your area who has a fabulously trained Collie who never has it on leash. She's a dog trainer. Naughty lady :wink:

I'm pretty much stuck in Australia until my 8 year old daughter turns 18 and I feel that she's an adult and can make her own decisions as to where she wants to live -probably Queensland!. So going home will be very bitter sweet for me, but it's my home, it's where my old bones belong. I have no connection with Australia, and no matter how long I live here I'll always be an outsider looking in.

I yearn to belong, and that can only mean the UK for me.

* Upbringing - I want my kids to have the upbringing I had - I had an awesome childhood! What seemed like endless summers playing with my cousins in the garden, walks with the family and dog in the New Forest, grandma knitting me jumpers and having to wear them when she visited, digging veggies in the garden with dad - the list is endless!

This is a very, very big reason for going back. It's not something that occurs to people when they emigrate as a single or childless couple - but browse these forums a bit, and you'll see far too many women whose feelings changed dramatically once they had a baby. They develop a desperate longing to give their child the same upbringing they had, and it even breaks up marriages.

This is a very, very big reason for going back. It's not something that occurs to people when they emigrate as a single or childless couple - but browse these forums a bit, and you'll see far too many women whose feelings changed dramatically once they had a baby. They develop a desperate longing to give their child the same upbringing they had, and it even breaks up marriages.

It's funny, but we have felt that here in Aus, our children have had a taste of the childhood that we experienced/remember from the UK .. Which really only goes to show that all our experiences are so very personal. To the OP, I think it's great to consider the things that might make you want to return, but its difficult to anticipate how things will make you feel until you're living it. Sometimes things can feel 'wrong' almost from the begining, whilst at others they come from left field, alternatively you could could love it. For us personally, if we hadn't liked Perth our plan was not to return to the UK, but to try a different state

Edited by ali

It's funny, but we have felt that here in As, our children have had a taste of the childhood that we experienced/remember from the UK ..

Indeed. Our children have much more of the childhood that we had in the UK here in Melbourne. It still amazes me that at 8 years old they started walking to school by themselves.

BB

Oh dear I see I have offended people with my dog rules comment, I apologise, but these are my personal views and as others have also mentioned having come from the UK and been able to walk dogs through fields, woods, country parks and into pubs, to me people seem more dog friendly in UK in MY experiences. I have a golden retriever who is the friendliest dog there is, where we live there is only one small area we can let him off lead and even then people tell us to put him on a lead even though he is just minding his own business... quite often I get informed he is not allowed off lead in this place even though he is and one person started throwing stones at thim because he happened to walk past minding his own business. I have never experienced anything like this in England and it is just my personal thoughts that I can't wait to take him for lovely wooded walks and let him run free and let his senses go mad and afterwards have the opportunity to finish up in a pub on a summers day for a drink after.

Oh dear I see I have offended people with my dog rules comment, I apologise, but these are my personal views and as others have also mentioned having come from the UK and been able to walk dogs through fields, woods, country parks and into pubs, to me people seem more dog friendly in UK in MY experiences. I have a golden retriever who is the friendliest dog there is, where we live there is only one small area we can let him off lead and even then people tell us to put him on a lead even though he is just minding his own business... quite often I get informed he is not allowed off lead in this place even though he is and one person started throwing stones at thim because he happened to walk past minding his own business. I have never experienced anything like this in England and it is just my personal thoughts that I can't wait to take him for lovely wooded walks and let him run free and let his senses go mad and afterwards have the opportunity to finish up in a pub on a summers day for a drink after.

Not offended at all and I get where you are coming from but technically you are breaking the law allowing your dog to run free through the woods and fields in the UK, although we all did it of course. The point I'm making is the rules are no different here , although here you could do the exact same thing ie ignore the law. However I get that you wouldn't want to allow your dogs to run through bush here as too many snakes :laugh:

In the UK it is illegal to let a dog off lead in a public place. So it is actually illegal to do so.......I asked a ranger here once while I was walking a huge GSD through a park in Waikiki why he was turning a blind eye to a woman walking a a little lap dog through the park unleashed and he said unless there is a sign on the park saying dogs on leash only, then there was nothing he could do. Still a bit confused to be honest. Any dogs I walk are always on the lead due to our duty of care and I only let mine off on the dog beach, but he's a moron and would run off to play with any dog regardless if they bit him or not. So still not sure what the ridiculous dog laws are?

Hi there, I didn't say they were 'ridiculous' dog laws I understand the need to contain dogs. I was just using a relaxed form of conversation in my post about my own personal opinion and said 'crazy strict' as in very strict to what I have been used to growing up with dogs all my life in England. For me, the only place in our area I can let my dog off a lead is the odd park which is mainly grass and quite a sterile place for a dog, I would love to be able to take him for walks freely in a more natural environment like the woods and forests that I have done in the past living near the New Forest, hence this was my point about things I was looking forward to on my return home. For me it gets a bit boring walking around the same park all the time as that is my only option to let him have a bit of a run everyday, its no life for a dog to be on a lead all the time.

Ha ha yes you are quite right Que Sera, I am do get very worried about the snakes, my dog is so dopey he would just play with it until it bit him. He has come out of a bush before with an angry blue tongue hissing in his mouth, being a retriever the lizard wasn't harmed at all, but our dog was very proudly bringing it to me to show me what he' got and I ran a mile :laugh:

One thing I find about Australia is that if you did happen to be doing something like letting your dog run without a lead, ridiculous or not, someone would be very quick to point out that it is against the rules and do their bit for law enforcement.

In the UK they are more likely to mind their own business with trivial matters like this.

I just thought of a quick example!

I was at Uluru, and was having lunch near the shopping centre there. Anyway, we bought our food and were sitting on some tables eating it when some guy, just another Aussie, had a go at us for sitting on tables that were reserved for some aboriginal presentation or something like that, and he then pointed to a sign. I apologised and was getting up to move, but checked the sign, and confirmed that it was only reserved between certain hours of the day. I double checked my watch to make sure that it wasn't reserved at that particular time. Anyway, I couldn't give 2 hoots if someone sat on this reserved table, but you will always find someone in Australia who will, and in this case, an unreserved table! Just try putting you kid into a shopping trolley or riding a bike without a helmet and see how long you last before someone says something. Actually to be fair, the Americans are also quite vocal when it comes to giving public advice on how to raise children.

On the dog issue, we live next to a lake with a path all round it, signs in several places that dogs should be on a lead.

I'm sorry but it makes me mad that irresponsible dog owners some with up to 3 dogs let them run wild round the lake, shitting everywhere and too lazy to carry a poo bag with them.

I don't actually want dog after dog running up to me, and neither do parents of small children, so I am one of those people who has made a comment to the dog owners.

We have ducks on the lake which again loose dogs think are fair game.

I know I'm sounding grumpy, but when you see it day after day, it does make you very annoyed, obviously there are also responsible dog owners who walk their dogs, but some days it's more like the dog owners think it's a dog park than an area for to be enjoyed by everyone.

^^^^^ Round the river foreshore near us it's a $100 fine if you're caught with your dog off the lead. There are also plastic bag dispensers if you need to pick up your dog's poop and plenty of bins for disposal of said poop. Dog owners with a bit of common sense should know not to let their dog run up to children or even grown-ups. Not every person is a dog lover.

On the dog issue, we live next to a lake with a path all round it, signs in several places that dogs should be on a lead.

I'm sorry but it makes me mad that irresponsible dog owners some with up to 3 dogs let them run wild round the lake, shitting everywhere and too lazy to carry a poo bag with them.

I don't actually want dog after dog running up to me, and neither do parents of small children, so I am one of those people who has made a comment to the dog owners.

We have ducks on the lake which again loose dogs think are fair game.

I know I'm sounding grumpy, but when you see it day after day, it does make you very annoyed, obviously there are also responsible dog owners who walk their dogs, but some days it's more like the dog owners think it's a dog park than an area for to be enjoyed by everyone.

Should have mentioned that there is a dog bag dispenser by the lake and a bin, which probably adds to my annoyance.

Our reason is: Better jobs, better career prospects and so much more to do! The other week our little 3-year old even pleaded "No more beach mama" so I am confident with our decision. Although it's worth pointing out that we're only moving to the UK to recharge our batteries and then we're off on a 2 year adventure in Japan.

I'm pretty much stuck in Australia until my 8 year old daughter turns 18 and I feel that she's an adult and can make her own decisions as to where she wants to live -probably Queensland!. So going home will be very bitter sweet for me, but it's my home, it's where my old bones belong. I have no connection with Australia, and no matter how long I live here I'll always be an outsider looking in.

I yearn to belong, and that can only mean the UK for me.

Are you being too sacrificial, 10 years is along time and closes down options for you to return, like jobs, pensions, friendships, children are very adaptable and if she has citizenship she can return and make her life back in oz and she will be the right age to make the transition , whereas age is definitely not in your favor.

on a practical note if you are going back are you paying NI in the UK for your OAPension, I have gone back and the pension is a nice little plus on top of the beer and the pubs and the people.

Not offended at all and I get where you are coming from but technically you are breaking the law allowing your dog to run free through the woods and fields in the UK, although we all did it of course. The point I'm making is the rules are no different here , although here you could do the exact same thing ie ignore the law. However I get that you wouldn't want to allow your dogs to run through bush here as too many snakes :laugh:

I think it is only in areas covered by Public Space Protection Orders that you need to keep a dog on a lead in the UK. So if the woodland, fields or open space doesn’t display a notice telling people to keep their dog on a lead, it isn’t against the law to let your put run free. Having said that though, all owners still have to ensure their dog is not ‘out of control in a public place’ to stay the right side of the law. Tx

www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/public-spaces-protection-orders

I think it is only in areas covered by Public Space Protection Orders that you need to keep a dog on a lead in the UK. So if the woodland, fields or open space doesn’t display a notice telling people to keep their dog on a lead, it isn’t against the law to let your put run free. Having said that though, all owners still have to ensure their dog is not ‘out of control in a public place’ to stay the right side of the law. Tx

www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/public-spaces-protection-orders

What is this thing with dogs, the controls are there because of irresponsible people who have uncontrollable dogs and have no regard for other people.

Mostly family. I thought it would get easier. It got harder after about 5/6 years. Also a huge sense of not belonging, a lack or 'connection' or roots with Australia. All things I would have sneered at a few years ago but things I feel are a real void in my life right now.

Are you being too sacrificial, 10 years is along time and closes down options for you to return, like jobs, pensions, friendships, children are very adaptable and if she has citizenship she can return and make her life back in oz and she will be the right age to make the transition , whereas age is definitely not in your favor.

on a practical note if you are going back are you paying NI in the UK for your OAPension, I have gone back and the pension is a nice little plus on top of the beer and the pubs and the people.

I can't imagine ever being able to persuade my partner return to the UK. I guess she might if the wheels came off for us financially here in Melbourne and the UK felt like a better option, but I can't imagine her being too enthusiastic about it. As an Australian, I think she probably feels that she's done her dash as far as the UK goes. For me, it may well end up being a case of going home to retire. I'm 46 now, so it could well end up meaning that I'm here for another 20 years.

With a 'mixed marriage' like ours it's very difficult to strike an agreement that works for all parties. Wherever you live, one isn't going to like it, so it comes down to being pragmatic. At the present time my partner and our daughter are happy here and we're earning reasonable salaries, so it makes sense to stay put. I no longer hate the place like I once did, I'm just kind of used to it now really, and with regular trips back home I just about manage to keep my head above the waves. :smile:

I can't imagine ever being able to persuade my partner return to the UK. I guess she might if the wheels came off for us financially here in Melbourne and the UK felt like a better option, but I can't imagine her being too enthusiastic about it. As an Australian, I think she probably feels that she's done her dash as far as the UK goes. For me, it may well end up being a case of going home to retire. I'm 46 now, so it could well end up meaning that I'm here for another 20 years.

With a 'mixed marriage' like ours it's very difficult to strike an agreement that works for all parties. Wherever you live, one isn't going to like it, so it comes down to being pragmatic. At the present time my partner and our daughter are happy here and we're earning reasonable salaries, so it makes sense to stay put. I no longer hate the place like I once did, I'm just kind of used to it now really, and with regular trips back home I just about manage to keep my head above the waves. :smile:

I'm part of a "mixed" marriage as well and I don't think it's fair to say wherever you live one isn't going to like it. It would be fair to say that wherever you live one is going to be the other side of the world from their family and there will always be a compromise involved.

OP I'm happy here in Australia at the moment and can't see us moving back any time soon. If and when we do though it will be because it just feels like the right time to do so.

If that's in your mind, then make sure you're paying your NI contributions. If you leave Australia before you reach pension age, you won't be able to claim the Australian government pension at all, and if you haven't paid enough NI contributions you won't get the full UK one either.