What are main reasons for returning to uk?

Mazza227

I can't imagine ever being able to persuade my partner return to the UK. I guess she might if the wheels came off for us financially here in Melbourne and the UK felt like a better option, but I can't imagine her being too enthusiastic about it. As an Australian, I think she probably feels that she's done her dash as far as the UK goes. For me, it may well end up being a case of going home to retire. I'm 46 now, so it could well end up meaning that I'm here for another 20 years.

With a 'mixed marriage' like ours it's very difficult to strike an agreement that works for all parties. Wherever you live, one isn't going to like it, so it comes down to being pragmatic. At the present time my partner and our daughter are happy here and we're earning reasonable salaries, so it makes sense to stay put. I no longer hate the place like I once did, I'm just kind of used to it now really, and with regular trips back home I just about manage to keep my head above the waves. :smile:[/quote

Sorry to hear that, but to cheer you on, coming back has been much harder than i imagined, the weather has been a nightmare and the short winter days are hideous .

Also if it helps the political scene is almost as bad as oz, the only saving grace is they are held to account more and sexism and racism is seen as unacceptable, but the economy is in tatters with neo liberal thinking just seen as the only way forward and amoral behaviour in the finance world seemingly accepted purely because its the only bit of the economy that's working "so don't rock the boat or we'll go and do our dirty work somewhere else" seems to have frightened the politicians into quiet acquiescence of their barrowboy behaviours.

As I've said elsewhere tho i feel that if it feels that what you have in oz is better than what you would have in the uk then the other irritants can be kept at bay and for us working in the public sector the money was not enough to offset the naked self interest of people whose job it should have been to provide a service acting like a pack of hyena's, here people are no more capable and the organisations are just as dysfunctional but people do at least understand that they are supposed to be trying to make it work for the wider community.

Enough tho, i hope you are happy with life and it continues to be good for you.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine ever being able to persuade my partner return to the UK. I guess she might if the wheels came off for us financially here in Melbourne and the UK felt like a better option, but I can't imagine her being too enthusiastic about it. As an Australian, I think she probably feels that she's done her dash as far as the UK goes. For me, it may well end up being a case of going home to retire. I'm 46 now, so it could well end up meaning that I'm here for another 20 years.

With a 'mixed marriage' like ours it's very difficult to strike an agreement that works for all parties. Wherever you live, one isn't going to like it, so it comes down to being pragmatic. At the present time my partner and our daughter are happy here and we're earning reasonable salaries, so it makes sense to stay put. I no longer hate the place like I once did, I'm just kind of used to it now really, and with regular trips back home I just about manage to keep my head above the waves. :smile:[/quote

Sorry to hear that, but to cheer you on, coming back has been much harder than i imagined, the weather has been a nightmare and the short winter days are hideous .

Also if it helps the political scene is almost as bad as oz, the only saving grace is they are held to account more and sexism and racism is seen as unacceptable, but the economy is in tatters with neo liberal thinking just seen as the only way forward and amoral behaviour in the finance world seemingly accepted purely because its the only bit of the economy that's working "so don't rock the boat or we'll go and do our dirty work somewhere else" seems to have frightened the politicians into quiet acquiescence of their barrowboy behaviours.

As I've said elsewhere tho i feel that if it feels that what you have in oz is better than what you would have in the uk then the other irritants can be kept at bay and for us working in the public sector the money was not enough to offset the naked self interest of people whose job it should have been to provide a service acting like a pack of hyena's, here people are no more capable and the organisations are just as dysfunctional but people do at least understand that they are supposed to be trying to make it work for the wider community.

Enough tho, i hope you are happy with life and it continues to be good for you.

Thanks mate. Great post. I'm in the public sector myself - social housing - and the landscape in Victoria is getting tougher every year. It feels like we're dying a death of a thousand cuts under the current Federal Govt, but then Labor weren't much more generous when they were in power. I keep hoping that a new Labour Govt in the UK will herald some kind of move away from the prevailing ideology of permanent austerity but I can't see it really. Govts in both countries seem obsessed with placating the big beasts in the financial sector.

Thanks mate. Great post. I'm in the public sector myself - social housing - and the landscape in Victoria is getting tougher every year. It feels like we're dying a death of a thousand cuts under the current Federal Govt, but then Labor weren't much more generous when they were in power. I keep hoping that a new Labour Govt in the UK will herald some kind of move away from the prevailing ideology of permanent austerity but I can't see it really. Govts in both countries seem obsessed with placating the big beasts in the financial sector.

That's strange, I was in social housing in the uk organising repairs and renovations after a tortuous route via building and a social sciences degree and in Queensland doing some of the same and my oh running a medical charity, housing as social provision is almost gone now here from what i can see, the big cities will soon cease to function due to lack of a labour force.

The belief in social provision is disappearing everywhere the neo liberal ideologues hold sway,or as in the case of oz the purely criminally greedy and knuckle draggers take over, or maybe they are all just one and the same.

That's strange, I was in social housing in the uk organising repairs and renovations after a tortuous route via building and a social sciences degree and in Queensland doing some of the same and my oh running a medical charity, housing as social provision is almost gone now here from what i can see, the big cities will soon cease to function due to lack of a labour force.

The belief in social provision is disappearing everywhere the neo liberal ideologues hold sway,or as in the case of oz the purely criminally greedy and knuckle draggers take over, or maybe they are all just one and the same.

But on the whole was it a good move for them ?

Hard to say, my youngest missed six months of year 10, which has made life tough for here. We are fortunate to live in the catchment of an excellent school, so the education she receives free of charge is far superior to that which we were paying a lot of money for in WA. Seeing family again and having them on hand is good, but they are both struggling with morale now, we were in OZ 6 years and they had both become more Aussie than we all had realised and have struggled a bit to fit back in. We have also suffered a significant drop in standard of living here, which nobody is enjoying. I think if they could get on a plane back to OZ tomorrow they would.

i missed my family & didnt feel at home in oz. it wasnt long before i realised moving back was a mistake though. sometimes you have to go back to realise what you are giving up in oz. that was true for me anyway.

Did you move back to Australia? We have just come back to UK after having a year in australia and I'm already wondering why we didn't stay :-(. Feeling torn

Thanks for your replies. I guess until we do it we won't know how it will affect us as a family. Obviously we think we will have a better life with outdoor lives, sports for kids etc. I know I will miss my family, how much I don't know until it happens. But I know if we don't give it a go, we will regret it in a few years as have been talking about it for do many years and now finally have the courage to say let's go for it!:wink:

Thanks for your replies. I guess until we do it we won't know how it will affect us as a family. Obviously we think we will have a better life with outdoor lives, sports for kids etc. I know I will miss my family, how much I don't know until it happens. But I know if we don't give it a go, we will regret it in a few years as have been talking about it for do many years and now finally have the courage to say let's go for it!:wink:

Well, you could test yourself. Tell your family you're doing a test run - don't see them for a month and see how you feel.

Edited by Marisawright

Well, you could test yourself. Tell your family you're doing a test run - don't see them for a month and see how you feel.

I don't see them more than that anyway as live 100 miles away from my parents and sister. So that's not a problem for up to a couple of months. I've introduced them to Skype too so they get to see my children too, not the same I know but the kids talk on there where as they dont like to speak on the phone! Lol

Obviously we think we will have a better life with outdoor lives, sports for kids etc.

You will have a different life. It may not be better. It may be worse! Do bear in mind that in many parts of Australia people have less of an outdoor life as it is too hot to be outside much of the time.

I don't see them more than that anyway as live 100 miles away from my parents and sister. So that's not a problem for up to a couple of months.

Try for a couple of years. You certainly are very unlikely to be seeing them more than this.

But I know if we don't give it a go, we will regret it in a few years as have been talking about it for do many years and now finally have the courage to say let's go for it!:wink:

Yep. I say go for it. Because the "what if" could be worse than giving it a go and it not working out. But choose your area of Australia carefully. The number one thing that is important is income. Without this, it doesn't matter how blue the sky is or how warm the sea is, you won't be able to live in that place.

BB

You will have a different life. It may not be better. It may be worse! Do bear in mind that in many parts of Australia people have less of an outdoor life as it is too hot to be outside much of the time.

Yep. I say go for it. Because the "what if" could be worse than giving it a go and it not working out. But choose your area of Australia carefully. The number one thing that is important is income. Without this, it doesn't matter how blue the sky is or how warm the sea is, you won't be able to live in that place.

BB

Good advice. One of my main drivers in wanting to move back to SE UK from Brisbane is to spend more time outdoors. You can never really appreciate how much the humid climate restricts you until you're stuck indoors day in day out watching Foxtel or browsing the Internet. Ozzies escape by spending a lot of time in shopping malls, but not my scene. I am desperate to go on a long hike without having to drive 100 km or so south to a more benign climate.

Its funny because when we go up to Queensland we always notice how much people are outdoors exercising, swimming, and walking around- more than down here. Most people down here do their 30 mins walk per day and that is more or less it as far as I can see. On the other hand, gyms, linedancing, fitness classes are packed to doors- indoors!

Its funny because when we go up to Queensland we always notice how much people are outdoors exercising, swimming, and walking around

What time of year do you normally go to QLD? In my experience in QLD summer everyone has done their exercise and is back indoors by about 6.30am!

BB

Did you move back to Australia? We have just come back to UK after having a year in australia and I'm already wondering why we didn't stay :-(. Feeling torn

i realised almost straight away going back to the uk was a big mistake & started saving to move back to oz. i am back in oz now & very happy. could you come back? its a massive pain spending money going backwards & forwards but its better than being stuck in the uk wishing you was in oz.

I d say with John Fraser as the head of treasury, firmly stuck in Reaganonmics mould of cutting back the social area until the pips pop, expect little to change.

What time of year do you normally go to QLD? In my experience in QLD summer everyone has done their exercise and is back indoors by about 6.30am!

BB

So true! to be fair the temperature is very pleasant before 6:30 am but it's definitely a place for early risers. Complaints about the 5:45 am gym sessions in my gym saw the sessions shifted back to start at 5:30 am. I am a morning person, but that's going a little too far without a siesta!!

So true! to be fair the temperature is very pleasant before 6:30 am but it's definitely a place for early risers. Complaints about the 5:45 am gym sessions in my gym saw the sessions shifted back to start at 5:30 am. I am a morning person, but that's going a little too far without a siesta!!

Yes, this is one reason why I'm not really cut out for the Australian climate. I have tried becoming an early riser but if I do it, I resent it, so it doesn't work for me. By being a night owl I miss out on the best of the day temperature-wise, because although it cools down in the evening it doesn't always cool down that much.

Well I am definitely not a morning person, and an older poster, but each to their own, as there aren't many days that I can't walk about 4.30 pm to be honest, and I used to play tennis in Borneo late afternoons, and that really is hot and humid all year round, but you adjust to where you live.

When the temperature is at it's hottest and most humid, which on the Sunshine Coast certainly isn't for anything like a solid 3 months of summer by the way, then yes not many go out in the mid day sun, and you pace yourself, but for a majority of the year the weather is perfect to be outside.

I totally agree that loads of people exercise very early, before work, but Queenslanders appear to go to bed early to compensate, it's just a different way of life, not right or wrong. I laugh when our house seems to be the only one with lights on at 10pm!!!

for the few hot weeks of summer in UK, everyone seems to be outside, stripped off (almost in the parks) sunbathing, even in the hottest time of the day, and plenty go walking in the cooler Lighter evenings as opposed to the cooler lighter mornings here. It can feel pretty hot and humid there to me, but then it's a novelty there, and as I did years ago they go for the burn, lots of red faces etc around, people are probably more sun aware here, and not so desperate for sunshine.

Ps: live in QLD on the Sunshine Coast

Edited by ramot

Apart from the height of summer (where it is best to go earlier/later) you can exercise any time here.

The humidity/heat is totally overrated compared to the reality of it living here (particularly after you acclimatise). Bit of envy from our less fortunate (in terms of weather) southern friends I think :wink:

My boys are almost 15 and 17 this year! So would leave it until both boys have finished school. I have no idea about college can they go there when they are 18 as thats what my eldest would be if we moved? Just worry I would ruin their lives moving back when they are older!

I always laugh when I see people on here saying they can't go outside during the day in summer. I suppose they can stay inside if they want to but PIO is the only place I ever see (hear) this lol

Exactly. Brisbane even holds a tennis comp week before the Aussie open. Playing Tennis in January in the day??? They must be crazy because on PIO I'm told you can't even leave the house at that time. Someone should have warned Federer that it wasn't the done thing and he was likely to die.

What time of year do you normally go to QLD? In my experience in QLD summer everyone has done their exercise and is back indoors by about 6.30

BB

I walk every day 11 to 12.30 all seasons and I see plenty of people exercising on Sandgate Prom.............sometimes you have to side step 'em to dodge the joggers and cyclists. It really makes me laugh the way they say it's too hot to be outside in summer. It may be for them but I wonder how this country ever got it's houses built and other business done if I was to believe what they say.................It's Brizzy not Coober Pedy