Where wouldn't you consider living in Australia?

starlight7

Not to turn it into a 'worst towns in Australia' thing but where wouldn't you like to live- and why?

I don't think I would want to live in an Ouback town because of the heat, flies and distance from anywhere, especially the coast- so I would rule out Alice.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not to turn it into a 'worst towns in Australia' thing but where wouldn't you like to live- and why?

I don't think I would want to live in an Ouback town because of the heat, flies and distance from anywhere, especially the coast- so I would rule out Alice.

Snap! I think anywhere too far north would worry me although I would'nt rule it out without a visit. Not sure I could cope with the cold now either.

OH originally got offered a job in Canberra, but I made him turn it down.

Im sure its as lovely place in its own right, but we wanted a all round destination. Weather and beaches were top of of our list.

Thankfully the company came back with a "ok so where do you want to go" We choose Perth, 2 years in, have no regrets, its an amazing place.

looking forward to visiting Sydney and Melbourne...but know I couldn't do big city living again.

on paper cairns and the Sunshine Coast look my kind of place and the good thing is, once we visit these places if we want to move OH can put in a transfer request.

for now though and maybe forever Perth has totally captured my heart.....this place for me, has it all....love it xx

You don't know what you're missing (at least for a short period of time)

I would never consider Perth. I also don't fancy any of the regional towns, the ones that are not outback (I quite like the idea of that for a little while anyway) but say four hours from a state capital, visited a few and they don't appeal.

Most places, really!

I'm a big city girl, I like lots of variety in life. I've tried living in the country - lovely for a visit but not for day-to-day existence, especially in Australia where everything is so far away.

I don't cope well with humidity - even Sydney's summer tests me - so nowhere humid, which knocks out most of Queensland and NT.

Looking at the big cities, the tyranny of distance is a factor again. Perth, Adelaide and Hobart may be nice cities, but once you've seen all the sights in a weekend's driving distance and want to see something new, it's expensive to get to the next-nearest places.

I would never consider Perth. I also don't fancy any of the regional towns, the ones that are not outback (I quite like the idea of that for a little while anyway) but say four hours from a state capital, visited a few and they don't appeal.

I'm curious as to why you would never consider Perth - Is it the isolation?

I'm curious as to why you would never consider Perth - Is it the isolation?

There are some beautiful areas in Western Australia - Margaret River, Monkey Mia, the beaches in general, the wildflowers in spring - but for me, yes the isolation is a factor. An awful lot depends on your expectations in life. I look at those TV shows where someone buys a villa in Tuscany or a cottage on a Greek island and think, I wish I could be like that - I'd be bored in five minutes. Perth is not as extreme as a village in Murcia, but I feel I would run out of different things to do fairly quickly - and it's very expensive to travel anywhere else in Oz.

There are some beautiful areas in Western Australia - Margaret River, Monkey Mia, the beaches in general, the wildflowers in spring - but for me, yes the isolation is a factor. An awful lot depends on your expectations in life. I look at those TV shows where someone buys a villa in Tuscany or a cottage on a Greek island and think, I wish I could be like that - I'd be bored in five minutes. Perth is not as extreme as a village in Murcia, but I feel I would run out of different things to do fairly quickly - and it's very expensive to travel anywhere else in Oz.

A Grecian cottage I'd probably be ok with -- there is so much archeology and history in Greece I'd find something to do. Though, as we're all agreeing here, it depends very much on location and accessibility (probably cash, too :smile:)

I'm thinking my love of city life in Glasgow will make for a familiar crossover into Perth. With so much more outdoor potential thanks to the climate, I'm expecting I'll enjoy it more on those occasions where I want to trek out to quieter spots.

I'm thinking my love of city life in Glasgow will make for a familiar crossover into Perth. With so much more outdoor potential thanks to the climate, I'm expecting I'll enjoy it more on those occasions where I want to trek out to quieter spots.

Hard to say without knowing what you like about Glasgow. It's a long time since I've spent any serious time there! However my gut reaction was that Glasgow is a vibrant city. I don't get the same vibe from Perth at all, the atmosphere feels more self-consciously refined, like Edinburgh. However it doesn't have a fraction of the cultural or artistic activities of Edinburgh (or Glasgow for that matter).

Hard to say without knowing what you like about Glasgow. It's a long time since I've spent any serious time there! However my gut reaction was that Glasgow is a vibrant city. I don't get the same vibe from Perth at all, the atmosphere feels more self-consciously refined, like Edinburgh. However it doesn't have a fraction of the cultural or artistic activities of Edinburgh (or Glasgow for that matter).

Yes my mother recently visited my sis (who lives in Perth) earlier this year and she commented on her perceived lack of culture. I'm ok with that, though. I understand it's a migrant country and I'm not expecting a warm version of Glasgow or Edin.

It'll be interesting :)

Archived