What are the main reasons you moved back?

jen85

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I'm a Pom with family in Perth that I visit every winter for as long as I can...so I'm practically emigrated! I'm working on an oral history project with a UK uni and WA partners which aims to sound-record 'whole family' stories - how emigration to Oz (and WA in particular) affects families on both sides of the great divide. And one dimension we'd like to have is the pull to go back home, for whatever reason. Can anyone help? You're assured the most sensitive and confidential approach.

I would start your own thread

Guest Guest 47403
I don't think you understand how it works.

Neither do I.

As usual...

You've all got something in common being failed migrants, so your bound to try and defend the NHS as this world leading establishment providing free care anyone that needs it I honestly think it is you three that don't quite grasp how the system works I don't know you circumstances perhaps you are on benefits so don't pay tax....not to bothered about it tbh.

But if you work and pay NI your paying for the NHS yes it's transparent to you but you are paying :rolleyes:

Australia seems to have a decent system to I can't recall reading any stories of children whose parents claim benefits dying because they couldn't have life saving operations.

You've all got something in common being failed migrants, so your bound to try and defend the NHS as this world leading establishment providing free care anyone that needs it I honestly think it is you three that don't quite grasp how the system works I don't know you circumstances perhaps you are on benefits so don't pay tax....not to bothered about it tbh.

But if you work and pay NI your paying for the NHS yes it's transparent to you but you are paying :rolleyes:

Australia seems to have a decent system to I can't recall reading any stories of children whose parents claim benefits dying because they couldn't have life saving operations.

Failed...? At least they've been..!

Again with the F-word Baz?. You're holding a serious hostage to fortune there if it doesn't work out for you and your family. For someone who's not too bothered about the views of returnees you do seem to keep their company on the MBTTUK forum quite a lot. Need teaching a lesson about the error of their ways do they?

Guest Guest 47403
Again with the F-word Baz?. You're holding a serious hostage to fortune there if it doesn't work out for you and your family. For someone who's not too bothered about the views of returnees you do seem to keep their company on the MBTTUK forum quite a lot. Need teaching a lesson about the error of their ways do they?

Keep there company quite a lot? Think not very rarely post in this section only bother if something catches my eye tbh.....check my post history if it really bothers you :rolleyes:

If it doesn't work I will freely admit failure, I won't try and pass the blame elsewhere :cool:

Its not failure though Baz is it, we don't live in a one size fits all world and numerous variables affect the way a move pans out...I think it's all a learning curve and an experience. You wouldn't class a job you hated as a fail if you decided to get out after a few months , you'd put it down to experience and move on...leaps into the unknown can go either way, thats why it's always a worry to me when prospective migrants talk about it being make or break or it 'having to work' You just have no way of really telling till you do it so its no 'fail' if you decide it's not for you is it?

I definitely dont think its failure either, they gave it a shot and i take my hat off to anybody who gives it a shot (thats my new fave saying!". Although i do think maybe some people are more likely to not manage it, like if they get homesick easily (like me) or if they think its going to be britain in the sun but still doesnt make them a failure

Keep there company quite a lot? Think not very rarely post in this section only bother if something catches my eye tbh.....check my post history if it really bothers you :rolleyes:

If it doesn't work I will freely admit failure, I won't try and pass the blame elsewhere :cool:

From the casual observer's perspective you do appear to pop up on this particular forum quite a lot, but be that as it may, it's the constant references to returnees as 'failures' which stand out in your posts. Why is it a failure if an individual or a family decide Australia isn't for them, surely that's a case of preference isn't it?. Some people prefer the UK or another country over Australia. That someone chose not to make it their home forever after does not diminish Australia in any way does it, nor does it diminish the returnee?. To my mind it certainly doesn't diminish the decision of someone to live in Australia, or want to live in Australia, if a minority decide that it isn't for them. I think that regarding it as some kind of mission where you either 'succeed' or 'fail' loads the dice hugely if you're attaching it to your own emigration experience and it's very unfair when you attach it to someone else's.

I agree with that point about loading the dice, if you go into it with the must succeed head on then youre asking for trouble but then you ought to have a bit of drive behind you too and be prepared to try hard to 'make it work' because it certainly doesnt just fall into your lap. You have to be extremely single minded and persistant. I look back now and can't believe that my hubby took on a junk mail round after months of job knock backs, he needed to do it for his own state of mind and the $80 a week bought a few luxuries!! You have to work so hard to re establish yourself and if youre not prepared to..well you shouldn't come.

Its not failure though Baz is it, we don't live in a one size fits all world and numerous variables affect the way a move pans out...I think it's all a learning curve and an experience. You wouldn't class a job you hated as a fail if you decided to get out after a few months , you'd put it down to experience and move on...leaps into the unknown can go either way, thats why it's always a worry to me when prospective migrants talk about it being make or break or it 'having to work' You just have no way of really telling till you do it so its no 'fail' if you decide it's not for you is it?

I quite like the job analogy. Most employees would like a good life / work balance, with enough income and career prospects to provide a decent life. Looking for another job would not be seen as a failure and in some cases it would take a degree of courage to do. All of that could be applied to the country you choose to live in.

Re- evaluating what you want, need, or what matters to you is never really a failure imo. If that were the case, then surely wanting to emigrate in the first place suggests a failure to make a go of things in the home country.......as opposed to having the courage to look some where else for what you want, need and value in life? Tx

I do like free things, you're right paul. Funny though you are usually the one moaning about the price of a pint and it being too expensive to go to places. I just get on with it, if I want to go to the Breakwater at Hillary's and have a few pints of $10 Guiness I do. I don't sit there complaining that it would only be costing me 3 and threepence in England. It just works ot a lot of the things I like to do are indeed free, a novel concept to a lot of people.

I love ur posts mate, perth is quality and we love it here !! the breakwater in hillarys is awesome to. i dont get why people feel the need to slag perth of ! fair enough it wasnt for some people , just jog on and get on with ur lives.if everybody in life liked and done the same things the world would be a boring place eh?? lifes to short !! just accept everyones different peeps!! Benny out x

Plus I will get a state pension to top up my company pension because I have paid my NI and tax for 35 years. By the way, I'm not a failed migrant, just someone who emigrated and then realised where I really wanted to be. You should try it.

I wouldn't think it would.

I didn't realise migration was some sort of exam you had to pass or fail. Who's winning?

From you location Baz I assume you are still unhappy in England. I suggest you migrate to Oz before you get too far up on your high horse. After you're tried it, you will be in a better position to criticise those who have had the courage to try.

For what it's worth, it does annoy me when people assume that the NHS is free. When I see a crap GP, I get the old excuse, 'at least it's free, and you don't have to pay for it'. This just seems to breed contempt. It's not free. It is a good service, (I use it more than most), but it's not bloody free.

I didn't realise migration was some sort of exam you had to pass or fail. Who's winning?

If those that don't enjoy Australia are free to post sweeping generalisations about being ripped off, no culture, too hot, no sense of humour, medicare, food and so on... It seems reasonable that those who don't understand why people go back can make the sweeping observation that they have failed to migrate? Just saying..... :wacko:

If those that don't enjoy Australia are free to post sweeping generalisations about being ripped off, no culture, too hot, no sense of humour, medicare, food and so on... It seems reasonable that those who don't understand why people go back can make the sweeping observation that they have failed to migrate? Just saying..... :wacko:
no failure in deciding a country is not for you...how the hell can that be failure?

I think there's a big difference between a returnee or a prospective returnee articulating the aspects of Australia they don't like and another poster labelling them 'failures.' I get it that the criticisms that some returnees make of Australia seem to rile those who love it here, but I don't understand why. From your posts Peach I see that you're really happy here, and is that happiness in any way threatened by the fact that a minority of posters don't like the place?

How can Australian prices be considered a rip-off, when they're not? All I'm saying..

I bet nobody thought Australia was a rip off in the days of $3 to a pound. The people who find Australia really expensive are the ones either spending pounds or still converting to pounds

I think there's a big difference between a returnee or a prospective returnee articulating the aspects of Australia they don't like and another poster labelling them 'failures.' I get it that the criticisms that some returnees make of Australia seem to rile those who love it here, but I don't understand why. From your posts Peach I see that you're really happy here, and is that happiness in any way threatened by the fact that a minority of posters don't like the place?

I'm just being devil's advocate. I'm not labeling anyone, anything. My point is that the same people who rampantly criticise Australia jump on high horses whenever the 'F' word gets mentioned. Peace and love to all I say...

I bet nobody thought Australia was a rip off in the days of $3 to a pound. The people who find Australia really expensive are the ones either spending pounds or still converting to pounds

Nope even Aussies think this place is expensive and it has been for a long time, just accept it and move on everyone.