What are the main reasons you moved back?

jen85

Hi Sapphire

No I haven't bunt my bridges so to speak, as I feel sure I could come back and get a job etc....we are hoping to sell our house as we don't have much equity and to be honest the worries of managing a property here...even with an agent would get on our nerves. Plus we were wanting to move any way regardless of our plans to come to OZ...when did you leave UK, where did you live?

My sisters cousins (on the other side) live in Tassie and are moving back over to QLD early next year. Their reasons were around not much for them or their teenage kids to do...your thoughts??

I realise there are lots of views on here and I'm pretty thick skinned. I enjoy the banter and hearing everybody's views it all makes for a richer view of the world:)

We are from the South of England.We know Blackpool really well, we have a lot of friends in and around the area.

Tassie is very quiet,too quiet for us, we have visited other states though and would not move to them, due to the expense and the fact we dont want to stay in Aus.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When you are on holiday, everyone seems lovely and it always seems the perfect place to live

It does, however I've been all over the world (very fortunately) and wouldn't want to live in any of the other county's I've been too...I adore Greece but crumbs look at the terrible times they are having1

as I said I'm moving to a great family network with older teenage children who can show my kids the way to begin with and also a huge support network of family and friends. Plus and perhaps equally as annoyingly I love my job ...nursing is the same the world over I still get that great feeling inside when I've helped somebody get comfy in bed or eased there pain. I know its one of the most mentally and physically challenging jobs but I'm sure patients in Oz will be similar to patients in the UK... and before any body says "there are no jobs" I'm happy to work anywhere and do a junior registered nurse post for a while until I can find other opportunities...

It does, however I've been all over the world (very fortunately) and wouldn't want to live in any of the other county's I've been too...I adore Greece but crumbs look at the terrible times they are having1

as I said I'm moving to a great family network with older teenage children who can show my kids the way to begin with and also a huge support network of family and friends. Plus and perhaps equally as annoyingly I love my job ...nursing is the same the world over I still get that great feeling inside when I've helped somebody get comfy in bed or eased there pain. I know its one of the most mentally and physically challenging jobs but I'm sure patients in Oz will be similar to patients in the UK... and before any body says "there are no jobs" I'm happy to work anywhere and do a junior registered nurse post for a while until I can find other opportunities...

It sounds as though you know why you're going, you've thought it through and I'm sure you'll be fine.

I think the reason people have cautioned you a little is because in your original post on this thread you listed all the reasons to leave the UK and it came across that you believed that those problems don't exist in Australia. In that first post there wasn't a positive reason to go, except that the sun shines more, only negatives for the UK. I think people just wanted to make you aware that there are the same problems there.

However, you seem to be going for other reasons, family being a big one, and to experience something new, not just to escape. I hope you have a fantastic time and settle well. Australia is a lovely country (I'm sure we'll be back in a few years!) and can offer a great life.

Good luck!

ok ok...its hell and I don't know why I'm bothering :laugh: (Joke obviously!!)

BTW are you on your way back to living in the UK?

no one has said it is hell.

...and where have I said I am returning to the UK?.....one day I probably will but no plans at the moment

We are simply trying to point out that you will not escape perceived problems in the UK by moving to a country which has identical issues

no one has said it is hell.

...and where have I said I am returning to the UK?.....one day I probably will but no plans at the moment

We are simply trying to point out that you will not escape perceived problems in the UK by moving to a country which has identical issues

I think she realises this.

And what do you think we are dealing with on an everyday basis here?

Our MH units are full of youngsters with drug problems as are ED departments.....it is a major problem and in my experience worse than the UK.

I work In a number of Hospitals and it is the same all over

I don't think it matters what country you are in they ALL have problems but certain areas are obviously worse than others, it sounds like the north of england is pretty bad from what everyone has said, might explain why the majority of my suburb is full of people from Manchester. Thoughts from people in other areas of England?

There's always jobs for a qualified nurse with the right attitude samdom1.

All this debating over whats better, it must depend on where you live, some people on here have sold up with a high aussie dollar and a high property price and been able to buy themselves something in UK beyond the wildest dreams of many normal UK folk. All I know is where I lived and worked, Birmingham and Wolverhampton, every single day I would see dodgy people , drunks, druggies, homeless people, illegal immigrant albanians making sexual remarks to my girlfriend etc . In the month now I have been back in Melbourne I have honestly not seen a single such person, but maybe its because my parents live in a nice suburb I dont know, and in other areas there are such people.

I have never seen this side of Australia that so many of you claim to exist, just like those who live in a nice country village in the UK have not seen my inner city West Midlands world

I don't think it matters what country you are in they ALL have problems but certain areas are obviously worse than others, it sounds like the north of england is pretty bad from what everyone has said, might explain why the majority of my suburb is full of people from Manchester. Thoughts from people in other areas of England?

We moved from Gee Cross, near Stockport but the weather was the main reason we moved. Plus we had always loved when we were on holiday in Spain, Portugal, Greece and wanted to live near the coast. Didn't really think whether the drug/alcohol problem would come into it. We aren't that nieve to think it's not a global problem and our youngster was only 2 when we came.

All you can do as a parent is try and give advice and point them in the right direction, whatever country you're in.

All this debating over whats better, it must depend on where you live, some people on here have sold up with a high aussie dollar and a high property price and been able to buy themselves something in UK beyond the wildest dreams of many normal UK folk. All I know is where I lived and worked, Birmingham and Wolverhampton, every single day I would see dodgy people , drunks, druggies, homeless people, illegal immigrant albanians making sexual remarks to my girlfriend etc . In the month now I have been back in Melbourne I have honestly not seen a single such person, but maybe its because my parents live in a nice suburb I dont know, and in other areas there are such people.

I have never seen this side of Australia that so many of you claim to exist, just like those who live in a nice country village in the UK have not seen my inner city West Midlands world

I think your find it has a lot to do with population, Birmingham has a population of around 8 million, if Melbournes population went to 8 million I think your find the same problems on the same scale.

I think your find it has a lot to do with population, Birmingham has a population of around 8 million, if Melbournes population went to 8 million I think your find the same problems on the same scale.

I don't know that you would. It's more down to the mix than the numbers.

Why do people who aren't from the North think that the north is just Manchester. I am from the North and it's nothing like Manchester where I am from. I know a couple from Plymouth who say the anti social behaviour in parts of Plymouth is horrific so the same problems happen elsewhere in the country too.

Why do people who aren't from the North think that the north is just Manchester. I am from the North and it's nothing like Manchester where I am from. I know a couple from Plymouth who say the anti social behaviour in parts of Plymouth is horrific so the same problems happen elsewhere in the country too.

Same reason everyone thinks only London exists in the south, ignorance!

Eh?? 8 million.. Where did you pull that number from?? Birmingham has a population of just over 1 million but you are right, the other 7 million is probably made up of illegal immigants!

The full of the West Midlands region only has a population of around 5 million.

Same reason everyone thinks only London exists in the south, ignorance!

I'm Scottish so I have never really paid much attention to the North / South rivalry but the ignorance and snobbery that goes on on this forum by some people from the South of England constantly putting down the North and making out the South to be almost utopic with a micro climate of it's own and no rough council estates etc is unbelievable.. And yet they criticise people for thinking Australia is a utopia!!

I'm Scottish so I have never really paid much attention to the North / South rivalry but the ignorance and snobbery that goes on on this forum by some people from the South of England constantly putting down the North and making out the South to be almost utopic with a micro climate of it's own and no rough council estates etc is unbelievable.. And yet they criticise people for thinking Australia is a utopia!!

I couldn't agree with you more, not just on this forum either!

Plymouth is full of Matlows. That explains a lot.

Eh?? 8 million.. Where did you pull that number from?? Birmingham has a population of just over 1 million but you are right, the other 7 million is probably made up of illegal immigants!

The full of the West Midlands region only has a population of around 5 million.

The 1 million are just the ones they can keep a track of and admit to being there. It's not counting all the people in the back rooms and cellars.:wink:

Thank you Paul, I think we are on the same page...cheerfulness does make the difference in all aspects of life.

It certainly does all and there is no difference in either country, people are happy or miserable in equal numbers in oz r the UK...if you are a happy person anyway the country dies not make a difference..I understand you are trying to find every positive thing about oz as it s a big move...good luck with the move...oz is like marmite.

West Midlands has fantastic areas as I live on the fringes...20 mins and you are in the Cotswolds......just as many shitte areas in oz as the West Midlands, maybe you agent lived in them but you know they exist.

Archived