What are the main reasons you moved back?

jen85

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh I stopped converting about 4 years ago Jim. That way lies madness!. As a public sector worker my wages go less than they did in London. Luckily, the missus works for herself now and and so overall we're better off. When she worked in the public sector too we really struggled and we were counting the days down to each payday. Not everyone's on big money in Australia.

In fact most are not. Money goes further here if don't pay rent or mortgage for the simply reason there is far less to spend money on. Unless a shopaholic there is not in most cases the incentive to spend money the same way.

You can.....but not necessary to do so. Also compared to life in Europe stay in a lot more in the evenings as well.

Cant comment on phones as never had one in the UK - wouldnt have one here either if it wasnt for work. But, while fuel is cheaper per litre, i find i spend about the same because i have to drive more. Its not like the UK where there are a million corner shops. Even if i want a newspaper or a loaf of bread i have to jump in the car.

Why would you choose to live where it requires a drive everywhere though? I can walk to several coffee shops, convenience store and the pub all within 5 minutes. I wouldn't ever live where I had to drive? Just like I wouldn't live in a village in UK without a shop and pub

But its not ale mate.Iam an ale drinker..Aussie beer is not ale..I hate the stuff..Its so bad Im drinking cask wine which I hate aswell..God its bad here

I feel your pain. Australians like lagers, Australian lagers that is, with the emphasis on coldness and fizz. Some brewers like James Squires do try and balance this, but even with them, their lagers are better than their ales. There are some good Australian lagers - Boags for one - but for me, nothing replaces a nice pint of Timothy Taylor's or Pedigree, or Hobgoblin.

Just some advice, choose very care fully the area to where you come back to, we are wanting to move because of the lack of opportunities for our kids when they leave education. Over the last couple of years there's been a massive shift away from there being good well paid jobs, with good terms and conditions and decent pensions in the package, not many jobs haven't been effected and there's been a massive reduction in overall wages up and down the country. Over 8 million people work less than 30 hours per week, most jobs advertised are low paid and part time as well. If you have an idea what your child wants to do, then research what potential jobs there are in the area your thinking about going to. Best of luck.

Hi I know Ive not lived in Perth so I cant relate honestly to your views, however I have to agree with others...England is not in a great place unemployment is at 8.5 percent and many many graduates leave university with degrees and are unable to get employment, often then on benefits such as job seekers allowance. Which at least meant they don't have to pay back their huge student loans immeditely! The health service is creaking under the strain as is the socal security departments.

Many schools are becoming academys up and down the counrty with a change in educational focus and some say leaning towards children that are academic....what about the majority of kids with other great potential in say sports etc..

Worst of all is the huge rise in crime and drinking cultures, with round the clock alcohol licensing and massive increases in alcohol related violence I would do pretty much anything to avoid my children being raised in this current culture.

Worst of all it still rains a lot!! We come from a seaside town and i get on the beach once a year if I'm lucky...

Research the realities of the areas your going back too, (easier if you have family I suppose) and Best of Luck in your hunt for happyness....after all thats what we are all searching for eh!:jiggy:

$4 a coffee makes it similar to UK Price but with much higher wages, Therefore much cheaper. Beer more expensive, but then Fuel way cheaper. Swings and roundabouts

when people say, the wages are better I don't reAlly get it...I'm on much less in oz...all depends on the job. And I pay much much more for rent, so definitely not better off.

Hi I know Ive not lived in Perth so I cant relate honestly to your views, however I have to agree with others...England is not in a great place unemployment is at 8.5 percent and many many graduates leave university with degrees and are unable to get employment, often then on benefits such as job seekers allowance. Which at least meant they don't have to pay back their huge student loans immeditely! The health service is creaking under the strain as is the socal security departments.

Many schools are becoming academys up and down the counrty with a change in educational focus and some say leaning towards children that are academic....what about the majority of kids with other great potential in say sports etc..

Worst of all is the huge rise in crime and drinking cultures, with round the clock alcohol licensing and massive increases in alcohol related violence I would do pretty much anything to avoid my children being raised in this current culture.

Worst of all it still rains a lot!! We come from a seaside town and i get on the beach once a year if I'm lucky...

Research the realities of the areas your going back too, (easier if you have family I suppose) and Best of Luck in your hunt for happyness....after all thats what we are all searching for eh!:jiggy:

The difference in unemployment between Oz and the UK is only 2%. Unemployment in the UK is falling, in Oz it is rising. Particularly in full time work.

The grad issue here is no better - actually worse. The measurement is slighty different as in the UK it is based on 6 months after graduation. Here it is 4 months. But in Oz, the figure is down to 76.6% and falling sharply. However, this will probably show a marked fall as two of the proffessions geology and mine engineering which were 100% will be lucky if they get 10% this year. Every one of the major mining companies has closed their grad programs until further notice as all are laying off experienced staff.

http://career-advice.careerone.com.au/job-hunting-strategy/employment-news/employment-pay-rates-for-graduates/article.aspx

There is no shortage of problems with drink and violence here - have a look at the thread running about nurses being attacked. In Perth on a weekend it is no different to any other city in the UK - plenty of stories of people being attacked. Drugs is actually worse than the UK - there are hundreds of drug labs discovered in Perth alone every year.

Similar issues with education - there have been reports this year that half of Oz kids leave school with no qualifacations and nearly half iliterate. One of Perths top private schools has been in the news this week for erecting a massive fence. Partly to stop problems with gangs

Healthcare here has its own significant issues. Reports last week that there are a lot of older people dying needlessly because there too frightened to call an ambulance - it can cost of $700 for an ambulance in WA

Do not come to Oz to think you are escaping the ills of the UK - you will find them all here waiting for you

So you are going to take them to one which is the same if not worse.....it beggars belief

Guest The Ropey HOFF
when people say, the wages are better I don't reAlly get it...I'm on much less in oz...all depends on the job. And I pay much much more for rent, so definitely not better off.

The average wage in the UK is about £26,000 the average wage in Australia is about $69,000. Those that try to make out that it's a lot dearer in Australia, nearly always use the exchange rate, when itemising things in Australia, then using the exchange rate, it makes it look like it is a lot dearer there, but using the same exchange rate, which was as low as $1.45 to £1 just recently, the Australian average wage roughly = £48,000 which the likes of nurses, police, prison officers, Tradies, etc etc earn.

I have to say that in metro Perth social issues are much the same as back in the UK. Disrespectful youth, alcohol and drugs, anti social behaviour, alcohol fuelled issues, I do think it is on a lesser scale than where I came from and some different aspects but the problems are still here nontheless.

Many make the mistake of moving 'for the kids future' with the benefit of hindsight Im not entirely convinced that the issues I hoped to shield mine from are not evident in Perth.

I have to say that in metro Perth social issues are much the same as back in the UK. Disrespectful youth, alcohol and drugs, anti social behaviour, alcohol fuelled issues, I do think it is on a lesser scale than where I came from and some different aspects but the problems are still here nontheless.

Many make the mistake of moving 'for the kids future' with the benefit of hindsight Im not entirely convinced that the issues I hoped to shield mine from are not evident in Perth.

Amen to that. In comparison to where I came from the kids are kids longer but when they get to the teenage years the same problems as here too.

We have a lot of debates on here about the pros and cons of Oz. This really is not me slagging off Oz. The two countries are actually both good. Both have something to offer for different people - my wife is more Oz than most Ozzies. She can sing the national anthem and even speak a bit of the local aboriginal language. But, like pretty much all developed countries, both have social issues and there pretty similar. I suspect there was a time when the world was less connected that Oz was very different and didnt have all of the problems that everywhere now has. But, the world has changed.

We are now all conected. We do travel a lot and when we visit a place, not only do we experience a bit of its culture. We also leave a cultural imprint there. Wether that is a negative cultural exchange or a positive - heck i even saw gangs of kids hanging around in hoodies and chav gear on a housing estate in a remote part of china.

A new designer drug comes out in one country and ten minutes later someone in a dozen countries has pulled the receipe of the net and started putting it together in their kitchen and flogging it in the night club that night.

A area has deprivation, high unemployment and social issues and guess what, it has high crime, kids getting into trouble, teens girls getting pregnant and all the rest. It doesnt matter if its the UK, Oz or anywhere else. And yes, there are areas of deprivation / pockets of high unemployment in Oz. Even in the middle of the boom there were parts of Perth with 10% unemployed.

Samdom1. I think you have a very unrealistic thought of what Oz is. A lot of people move here and really fall in love with the place. But, i dont think any of them had the expectations you have and i worry that you are setting yourself up to fail as no country is going to live up to what you want. All things things that you want to leave are going to be in any developed country. In fact most undeveloped as well (I work in east Africa and read the Tanzanian news and it could easily read the West Australian or the Leicester Mercury by just changing the place names)

It may seem that way, but graduate recruitment is actually increasing slightly and is at its highest level since 2008. And unemployment levels in most areas are quite a bit lower than 8.5% according to the BBC’s economy tracker.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/10604117

www.guardian.co.uk/education/2013/jul/01/graduate-recruitment-survey

I guess we are bombarded from all aspects of the media with doom and gloom messages in the UK, and it can be quite difficult to know what is real and what is not. A recent commission found that most if us are way out when it comes to estimating the number of teenage pregnancies, whether crime is increasing or falling, how many people vote in a general election, and the amount spent on unemployment benefit compared to spent on state pensions.

www.rssenews.org.uk/2013/07/rss-commission-new-research-into-public-perceptions-of-statistics

If you are thinking of returning to the UK research and planning is probably just as important as it was when you moved the other way, as no one would deny that things are economically tough here, but perceptions are not always borne out by the facts. Tx

We have a lot of debates on here about the pros and cons of Oz. This really is not me slagging off Oz. The two countries are actually both good. Both have something to offer for different people - my wife is more Oz than most Ozzies. She can sing the national anthem and even speak a bit of the local aboriginal language. But, like pretty much all developed countries, both have social issues and there pretty similar. I suspect there was a time when the world was less connected that Oz was very different and didnt have all of the problems that everywhere now has. But, the world has changed.

We are now all conected. We do travel a lot and when we visit a place, not only do we experience a bit of its culture. We also leave a cultural imprint there. Wether that is a negative cultural exchange or a positive - heck i even saw gangs of kids hanging around in hoodies and chav gear on a housing estate in a remote part of china.

A new designer drug comes out in one country and ten minutes later someone in a dozen countries has pulled the receipe of the net and started putting it together in their kitchen and flogging it in the night club that night.

A area has deprivation, high unemployment and social issues and guess what, it has high crime, kids getting into trouble, teens girls getting pregnant and all the rest. It doesnt matter if its the UK, Oz or anywhere else. And yes, there are areas of deprivation / pockets of high unemployment in Oz. Even in the middle of the boom there were parts of Perth with 10% unemployed.

Samdom1. I think you have a very unrealistic thought of what Oz is. A lot of people move here and really fall in love with the place. But, i dont think any of them had the expectations you have and i worry that you are setting yourself up to fail as no country is going to live up to what you want. All things things that you want to leave are going to be in any developed country. In fact most undeveloped as well (I work in east Africa and read the Tanzanian news and it could easily read the West Australian or the Leicester Mercury by just changing the place names)

Hi verystormy, perhaps I wasnt very clear but my only real expectation of oz if different opportunitites in a sunny climate with my family...(most in heaven from the UK) but have a great sister and extended family in OZ.

Also I work at the sharper end of life in my home town and unfortuntely am aware of the increasing problems first hand. I agree that most of these issues are replicating world wide, however I have researched the area we are moving to well and simply want to give my teen age children a bit of a better chance, the outdoor life style my son adores doesnt exist in my area of the uk cos it really does rain a lot, and the university's my daughter is hoping to attend is reportedly one of the best in the southern hemisphere...so we'll give it all a chance.

Im neither nieve or bonkers (although some might disagree to the bonkers bit lol) and we will never know if we dont try and have an adventure in oz eh! If we dont like it we can all come back!

Thanks Sam

Hi verystormy, perhaps I wasnt very clear but my only real expectation of oz if different opportunitites in a sunny climate with my family...(most in heaven from the UK) but have a great sister and extended family in OZ.

Also I work at the sharper end of life in my home town and unfortuntely am aware of the increasing problems first hand. I agree that most of these issues are replicating world wide, however I have researched the area we are moving to well and simply want to give my teen age children a bit of a better chance, the outdoor life style my son adores doesnt exist in my area of the uk cos it really does rain a lot, and the university's my daughter is hoping to attend is reportedly one of the best in the southern hemisphere...so we'll give it all a chance.

Im neither nieve or bonkers (although some might disagree to the bonkers bit lol) and we will never know if we dont try and have an adventure in oz eh! If we dont like it we can all come back!

Thanks Sam

I can understand your thoughts. Let me just give this word of caution. Everyone assumes that they will have a outdoors lifestyle here. But, from my experience, if your outdoors in the UK then yes, but if your not already outdoors people, you wont be here. This one has been debated on here for ever and a day. I would say i am less outdoors here than i ever was - heat in summer is too extreme and winter is pretty extreme - have a look at the news for the last couple of days to see what i mean.

As for Uni. I am a grad recruiter for the industry i work in. I have also put several grads through post grad courses as part of their development. From my experience, the post grad courses asnd research undertaken at Oz uni's is very high indeed. But, for undergrad, shocking. I find the new grads are at a level that if they were completing first year in the UK, they would be having a chat with the head of dept to see if this was really the best course for them.

All the issues that you see first hand now are absaloutly no different here. One or two are slightly better, one or two slightly worse. For example, i saw you were thinking of Ipswich QLD.

http://www.qt.com.au/news/ipswich-crime-rises-5/1595981/

That is before the QLD state government did a slash and burn recently of public jobs which included nurses and police.

It really is no different.

So you are going to take them to one which is the same if not worse.....it beggars belief

Don't agree, don't think it's as bad here as the UK, not in Perth anyway. Maybe we've been lucky with our kids but I have a 23 year old and an 18 year old. The eldest went through the usual drinking a lot when he got to 18, I was surprised he didn't start a bit earlier tbh but most of his mates seemed to wait until they were 18 to start. I think it has a lot to do with the area we live, who his mates are, what he got involved in as a youngster. He was always into sport, swimming and surf club mainly and the whole drugs and even smoking scene is really frowned on amongst that crowd. He also played aussie rules and the guys that he was playing that with started drinking a lot earlier. Seems to go along with the culture of the sport.

Luckily most of his friends are still from surf club, swimming and school and I don't know any of them that even smoke. They come round our place quite a bit for pre drinks and they are a decent bunch. I'm not trying to be defensive or paint a better picture than it is. My son tells me that drugs are around and available if you are that way inclined, but they were when I was growing up too. You can only try and educate your kids and hope they don't want to get into the drug scene I guess.

It must be awful if they do.

Coming from Blackpool though I would imagine that you would think it heaps better here.

Don't agree, don't think it's as bad here as the UK, not in Perth anyway. Maybe we've been lucky with our kids but I have a 23 year old and an 18 year old. The eldest went through the usual drinking a lot when he got to 18, I was surprised he didn't start a bit earlier tbh but most of his mates seemed to wait until they were 18 to start. I think it has a lot to do with the area we live, who his mates are, what he got involved in as a youngster. He was always into sport, swimming and surf club mainly and the whole drugs and even smoking scene is really frowned on amongst that crowd. He also played aussie rules and the guys that he was playing that with started drinking a lot earlier. Seems to go along with the culture of the sport.

Luckily most of his friends are still from surf club, swimming and school and I don't know any of them that even smoke. They come round our place quite a bit for pre drinks and they are a decent bunch. I'm not trying to be defensive or paint a better picture than it is. My son tells me that drugs are around and available if you are that way inclined, but they were when I was growing up too. You can only try and educate your kids and hope they don't want to get into the drug scene I guess.

It must be awful if they do.

Coming from Blackpool though I would imagine that you would think it heaps better here.

Most kids Paul are good kids and turn out well in either country. The proportion of the ones that dont is probably about the same.

I saw kids drinking in the park in the UK and here i often see them on the beach where we live - Dawesville drinking. Though the little gits often spoil the beach by leaving broken bottles around.

I have a niece and nephew who are both similar ages to yours. Both at Uni, though one doing a gap year working for a charity in south america. Never seen either of them drunk would put money neither has even smoked weed. There not angels or wonder kids. Just average everyday kids, like most are everywhere.

Archived