What are the main reasons you moved back?

jen85

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Nope even Aussies think this place is expensive and it has been for a long time, just accept it and move on everyone.

Is Perth really THAT expensive? Because I don't think Brisbane is expensive.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
still not sure about that. at my job interview here in melbourne I said when talking about salary I didnt know how much I needed to earn due to high cost of living. "Its not as bad as the uk" was the answer

Completely unrelated comment. But Lions v Roo's was a great game at the weekend! Particulalry as a Brisbane fan

still not sure about that. at my job interview here in melbourne I said when talking about salary I didnt know how much I needed to earn due to high cost of living. "Its not as bad as the uk" was the answer

With respect, they would say that wouldn't they?!. They want you to come and work for them. They're not likely to say "Expensive?, well you can expect to pay $4.00 for a coffee and $10.00 for a pint" are they?!

With respect, they would say that wouldn't they?!. They want you to come and work for them. They're not likely to say "Expensive?, well you can expect to pay $4.00 for a coffee and $10.00 for a pint" are they?!

$4 a coffee makes it similar to UK Price but with much higher wages, Therefore much cheaper. Beer more expensive, but then Fuel way cheaper. Swings and roundabouts

They do seem to have more disposable income (if you get paid lots, or are careful with money) - we have managed to save a lot. In Melbourne, living frugally but in a CBD apartment - we can survive on a 50k salary. So the second salary can be saved. But I have also met lots of people on the same struggling? No idea what they are doing, or what else they are paying for. Our bills in a 1 bed apartment are really cheap. Others in larger suburban houses are a lot more for bills. Cars seem really expensive (as is parking and fines), public transport seems really good value! - food is very mixed: a meal can be $4-$400 - so careful with that We use lots of the Groupon vouchers - $40 for a meal and a bottle of wine for two - great! ;) Wine is cheaper but I'd say beer is more ($12 a pint on the river!) - In Melbourne by the way ;)

Is Perth really THAT expensive? Because I don't think Brisbane is expensive.

Brisbane isn't compared to Perth, Perth is the most expensive city in the whole country according to a cost of living poll last week. Its just the things that you know are expensive just for the sake of it or "cause they can" that is what annoys people. For me, only recently has it seemed to be worse than ever but I don't plan on staying so not fussed in the short term.

FYI, QLD as a state provides the most subsidies to people, just what I have heard through the grapevine.

Brisbane isn't compared to Perth, Perth is the most expensive city in the whole country according to a cost of living poll last week. Its just the things that you know are expensive just for the sake of it or "cause they can" that is what annoys people. For me, only recently has it seemed to be worse than ever but I don't plan on staying so not fussed in the short term.

FYI, QLD as a state provides the most subsidies to people, just what I have heard through the grapevine.

Live in Perth but have visited Brisbane a lot on work trips. Don't think there is much difference tbh. Same sort of prices to eat and drink out, might be the cost of rentals and housing that pushes Perth up.

$4 a coffee makes it similar to UK Price but with much higher wages, Therefore much cheaper. Beer more expensive, but then Fuel way cheaper. Swings and roundabouts

Not for all of us!. I earn a good bit less than I did in London and I reckon $10 for a pint is a bit eye-watering. That's about £7.00 in old money isn't it?!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Not for all of us!. I earn a good bit less than I did in London and I reckon $10 for a pint is a bit eye-watering. That's about £7.00 in old money isn't it?!

It is if you are using the current exchange rate, but average skilled wages in Australia are paid at about $2.5 to £1 so that makes it £4 which isn't that bad.

I make the same regardless of if i am in Oz or UK. Well, i would probably make a bit more as a shorter flight might encourage me to fly cattle class and we get $2k bonus for doing so. Net income would be significantly high in the UK as would be regarded as non resident for tax, so automatic 40% extra pay

I'm just being devil's advocate. I'm not labeling anyone, anything. My point is that the same people who rampantly criticise Australia jump on high horses whenever the 'F' word gets mentioned. Peace and love to all I say...

Wouldn't you take umbrage though if you were labelled a failure?. That's personalising things in my book. Very different to someone venting about aspects of life in Australia.

It is if you are using the current exchange rate, but average skilled wages in Australia are paid at about $2.5 to £1 so that makes it £4 which isn't that bad.

Fuel is significantly cheaper too no matter the exchange rate!

Taking the family to the cinema is way cheaper too. Public transport is cheaper. My phone/tablet were cheaper here.

Oh I stopped converting about 4 years ago Jim. That way lies madness!. As a public sector worker my wages go less than they did in London. Luckily, the missus works for herself now and and so overall we're better off. When she worked in the public sector too we really struggled and we were counting the days down to each payday. Not everyone's on big money in Australia.

Wouldn't you take umbrage though if you were labelled a failure?. That's personalising things in my book. Very different to someone venting about aspects of life in Australia.

I take umbrage everytime someone makes an unsubstantiated sweeping statement... Most of the time I just bite my tongue. If people are free to make me bite my tongue, then surely the same right to offend is mine as well?

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Oh I stopped converting about 4 years ago Jim. That way lies madness!. As a public sector worker my wages go less than they did in London. Luckily, the missus works for herself now and and so overall we're better off. When she worked in the public sector too we really struggled and we were counting the days down to each payday. Not everyone's on big money in Australia.

You say that and I'm not having a dig, but you did use the current exchange rate to cost the price of beer and then showed how much it would cost in pounds, but it's not like that is it? Your right not everyone is on big money in Australia, it's the same in the UK, but people emigrating, look into these threads and it's easy for them to be frightened off by a un intended mis-calculation.

Fuel is significantly cheaper too no matter the exchange rate!

Taking the family to the cinema is way cheaper too. Public transport is cheaper. My phone/tablet were cheaper here.

Cant comment on phones as never had one in the UK - wouldnt have one here either if it wasnt for work. But, while fuel is cheaper per litre, i find i spend about the same because i have to drive more. Its not like the UK where there are a million corner shops. Even if i want a newspaper or a loaf of bread i have to jump in the car.

I take umbrage everytime someone makes an unsubstantiated sweeping statement... Most of the time I just bite my tongue. If people are free to make me bite my tongue, then surely the same right to offend is mine as well?

Wow!. Ok :smile:

You say that and I'm not having a dig, but you did use the current exchange rate to cost the price of beer and then showed how much it would cost in pounds, but it's not like that is it? Your right not everyone is on big money in Australia, it's the same in the UK, but people emigrating, look into these threads and it's easy for them to be frightened off by a un intended mis-calculation.

Sorry Jim, force of habit. Was just stood at the bar the other night waiting for Harpo and when the barman charged me $22.20 for two pints of James Squires I did think "how much?!!"

For those of you reading this in the UK please don't be put off by me thinking "b*gger me, that's about £15 for a couple of pints!"

There you go, sorted. :smile:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
$ 10 a pint for one of the worst pints of Crap you will ever taste..Carlton draught melbourne airport..It even had a washing up liquid taste to it..

You must have got a bad pint, you should have complained about it, nearly every drink I had was great, the Twoogheys platinum was as good as it gets.

Archived