What are the main reasons you moved back?

jen85

My wife's family are pensioners. They live in the UK. They holiday every year in a 5* villa in Cyprus. Every other year, they also take a long haul such as china, south America, Canada. There not rich. A holiday to Cyprus in a 5* villa is a LOT less than a holiday from Perth to Sydney.

They visit places like jersey on a daft weekend for a couple of nights. Costs next to nothing. They also do days out to other cities on a whim. How many cities can you do on a whim from Perth for a day? Well, I suppose you can go to freo and again, and again and......

If we go back we will probably live south / south west. Can jump on the eurostar for under $50 return. Have lunch in Paris, do a gallery, a walk around, puck up some nice bits for dinner, be home in time to cook them. From Perth?

Not sure when this thread became a thread about pensioners? But as one of them perhaps I should join in. What's your definition of a pensioner? Is that some one who only has a state pension in UK, or is it every one who has worked and is now also on a work related pension because some of us aren't on the bread line. We like quite a few, ok actually lots, have actually a comfortable income in our old age, with very low overheads, but we have worked hard for it. I can't speak about the Australian system as it doesn't apply to us. We go to UK every year for about 3 months, we often take a side trip to Europe while there. We travel extensively in Australia, Sometimes on the cheap, my husband went to the British Lions matches and we had 5 days in Sydney to watch the match and took advantage of cheap jetstar flights and a cheap offer from Meriton apts. won't bore you with what else we have done, but have been to China recently.

Australian retired friends seem to be jetting off to Europe or Canada all the time, so my point is you don't necessarily have to be rich to enjoy retirement or live in UK , just prudent with your finances and enjoy skiing.

ps I'm not bringing Perth into this just commenting about the fun you can have when retired, irrespective of where you live.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are actually part of my point. It had been Posted that as a UK pensioner, you are faced with a trip to Blackpool. Not so. Many are enjoying there retirement - as I hope to.

There will be an issue in both countries soon regarding state pensions - I suspect in Oz first as the government will have due cause to say, every one has a super fund, so there is no need to make provision from the state. But either way it will be a major impact with increasing costs of looking after an aging populous.

Not sure when this thread became a thread about pensioners? But as one of them perhaps I should join in. What's your definition of a pensioner? Is that some one who only has a state pension in UK, or is it every one who has worked and is now also on a work related pension because some of us aren't on the bread line. We like quite a few, ok actually lots, have actually a comfortable income in our old age, with very low overheads, but we have worked hard for it. I can't speak about the Australian system as it doesn't apply to us. We go to UK every year for about 3 months, we often take a side trip to Europe while there. We travel extensively in Australia, Sometimes on the cheap, my husband went to the British Lions matches and we had 5 days in Sydney to watch the match and took advantage of cheap jetstar flights and a cheap offer from Meriton apts. won't bore you with what else we have done, but have been to China recently.

Australian retired friends seem to be jetting off to Europe or Canada all the time, so my point is you don't necessarily have to be rich to enjoy retirement or live in UK , just prudent with your finances and enjoy skiing.

ps I'm not bringing Perth into this just commenting about the fun you can have when retired, irrespective of where you live.

Well we were very happy living and working in Randwick, Sydney for the last 13 years. Made plenty of friends and felt very established. However we moved back to the UK to be able to give our aging Mothers some more of our time and frankly are loving it. The move was an upheaval but we are now relocated in North London (near Ally Pally) and so far it's been fantastic. Just waiting for a spot to come up at the local school and we're set.

So, we're missing:

If you're into craft then you're in the right place for the Ally Pally Craft Show at the end of October - quite gobsmacking really compared with Aus craft shows although the Randwick one isnt bad I suppose.

I concur - missing Australian politics is a damn good miss IMHO!

My wife's family are pensioners. They live in the UK. They holiday every year in a 5* villa in Cyprus. Every other year, they also take a long haul such as china, south America, Canada. There not rich. A holiday to Cyprus in a 5* villa is a LOT less than a holiday from Perth to Sydney.

They visit places like jersey on a daft weekend for a couple of nights. Costs next to nothing. They also do days out to other cities on a whim. How many cities can you do on a whim from Perth for a day? Well, I suppose you can go to freo and again, and again and......

If we go back we will probably live south / south west. Can jump on the eurostar for under $50 return. Have lunch in Paris, do a gallery, a walk around, puck up some nice bits for dinner, be home in time to cook them. From Perth?

There's the rub. I don't feel the need to be jumping on a eurostar to Paris or jetting off at the weekend somewhere, no matter how cheap and cheerful it is. I already live in a better place than any of them and everything I need is on the doorstep. If I had liked nipping off to Europe or over to France, lived somewhere it was accessible and had been able to afford it, i wouldn't be living over here moaning about it all the time.

There's the rub. I don't feel the need to be jumping on a eurostar to Paris or jetting off at the weekend somewhere, no matter how cheap and cheerful it is. I already live in a better place than any of them and everything I need is on the doorstep. If I had liked nipping off to Europe or over to France, lived somewhere it was accessible and had been able to afford it, i wouldn't be living over here moaning about it all the time.

I don't think VS was talking about you.:dull:

In your opinion Paul, and there’s nothing wrong with that. But for me, Perth is not the best place to live and everything I need would not be on my doorstep. I’m not knocking the place, as I have great holidays there and have met enough expats to know that a lot of people love the life it provides. But I have a good life in the UK, live in a beautiful part of the country and trips away are not an escape but an added bonus. I live here through choice, and maybe I’m lucky in that we didn’t need to move abroad to find a lifestyle that suits us, On the other hand some might view that as unlucky, as it didn’t provide any real motivation for serious adventure or real risk taking. And that’s my point really, it’s all personal, and one size doesn’t fit all. Tx

• 2 weeks later...

But you live in Perth......how the hell can that be better than Europe :eek:.:biglaugh:.....Perth even you have to say is boring after a while as you ave seen everything and done everything there s to do after 6 months, if you like doing the same things week after week like Groundhog Day it will suit you but if you love experiencing new things and meeting new people it does not compare Paul and in your true heart you know it....don't you..:rolleyes:

What they should do is move Australia somewhere between America and the UK- then we'd have the lot.

Very true. The isolation is the only annoyance as would love a European break on my doorstep.

However all the other positives outweigh this I think.

Most people I think go home because they can't live away from family/Can't get a decent job/Haven't made friends. Sometimes they blame Australia for this but I bet one of these 3 is a bigger reason which no country can offer on a plate

• 2 weeks later...
Very true. The isolation is the only annoyance as would love a European break on my doorstep.

However all the other positives outweigh this I think.

Most people I think go home because they can't live away from family/Can't get a decent job/Haven't made friends. Sometimes they blame Australia for this but I bet one of these 3 is a bigger reason which no country can offer on a plate

Isolation is a huge part, once you've 'done' Australia that's it. So I've done Fiji, Bali and Hamilton Island just to break up the monotony, but I could never tire of Europe.

I too live on the Goldcoast and as beautiful as it is I still can't call it home. I now have 6 grandchildren and not watching them grow up has been too much for me to bear. I miss my daughter's company and my son's sarcastic sense of humour, Christmas mornings, crisp days and autumn days and the goodbyes have got worse for us all has time has gone on, throw into the mix that I am now a 3 year survivor of breast cancer I have decided to return home. I wish you the greatest of luck.