What are the main reasons you moved back?

jen85

Spent a lot of time in Plymouth on work trips. Loved it, considered moving there but we got our visas instead.

We lived there for many years when hubbie was in the RN. Lovely place, great location, close to Dartmoor. If we had not come here, we would have stayed there, or in one of the surrounding villages. The only problem with it is that the jobs situation is very poor unless you are public sector or in the RN.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We lived there for many years when hubbie was in the RN. Lovely place, great location, close to Dartmoor. If we had not come here, we would have stayed there, or in one of the surrounding villages. The only problem with it is that the jobs situation is very poor unless you are public sector or in the RN.

Yep, I was down there working on Sonar on the ships. When we started thinking about a job and moving there it was pretty obvious we wouldn't have been able to afford to do it. The wages weren't really a lot more than Manchester but the houses were about double for the same sort.

Yep, I was down there working on Sonar on the ships. When we started thinking about a job and moving there it was pretty obvious we wouldn't have been able to afford to do it. The wages weren't really a lot more than Manchester but the houses were about double for the same sort.

That's because all the sailors were buying up the houses and then selling them on at huge profits, or renting them out while living on board and then making a killing when the market rose.

It certainly does all and there is no difference in either country, people are happy or miserable in equal numbers in oz r the UK...if you are a happy person anyway the country dies not make a difference..I understand you are trying to find every positive thing about oz as it s a big move...good luck with the move...oz is like marmite.

Thanks Perth bum....I love England and really dont like marmite lol. I'll definitely have a ball trying it out though :jiggy:

Thanks Perth bum....I love England and really dont like marmite lol. I'll definitely have a ball trying it out though :jiggy:

With a young family Perth will suit you, and if you want to meet people quickly get involved in sports teams.

Why do people who aren't from the North think that the north is just Manchester. I am from the North and it's nothing like Manchester where I am from. I know a couple from Plymouth who say the anti social behaviour in parts of Plymouth is horrific so the same problems happen elsewhere in the country too.

Im well aware that there is more to the north than just manchester, just wanted other peoples thoughts on different areas.

Im well aware that there is more to the north than just manchester, just wanted other peoples thoughts on different areas.

I'm from Chesterfield and my wife is from Manchester, we met on holiday in Bournemouth. When she came over to Chesterfield the first time we went out on Friday night into town. It's a small place compared to Manchester and because I played soccer, had lived there all my life I would know maybe 20 people in every pub. It was totally foreign to her and she asked if I knew everyone in Chesterfield.

I told her to be careful on the bus on the way home as about every 3rd week it would just end up driving straight to the police station because of the trouble. I don't think she believed me but it was one of those weeks where you just knew it was going to be a by trip by the people waiting at the bus stand. The driver had a steel cage around him back then. It was the days when you paid the driver in cash and got a ticket. Driver on the 11:30 bus out of town was usually a big burly guy.

Sure enough their was a mass brawl upstairs and the driver just drove to the police station a couple of streets away, cops came on, arrested a few and the rest of us got kicked off and had a 4 mile walk home. She said it was like stepping back in time as we still has mods, rockers skinheads and teddy boys.

She thought Manchester was rough until she had a few nights out in Chesterfield. Never a dull moment though, kept you on your toes.

1. Bul**hit Australia needs skilled labour

2. Not recognising overseas work experience - "your overseas experience is just overseas experience"

3. Hick towns

4. Overpriced and overrated country

5. 20 years behind Europe ( I mean technology)

6. Interstate rivalry ( Adelaide is 0.5 h and 10 years behind Melbourne, Perth is 2 h and 20 years behind Melbourne)

7. Houses and flats, years behind Europe, single glazed windows, cold flats in Australian winter

8. Brainwashed people, "Australia is the best, UK is a **** hole", ....sorry.... I didn't come from drug ridden place in the UK, I had much better opportunities in the UK than in Australia...career, money

Main reason I moved back to the UK was lack of work, and all bull*hit about Australian skills shortage, licence trap, local experience and references only,

Sorry, but there is nowhere more full of their own self importance as Oz. Even worse than the USA and that says something! You only have to be around for Australia day to see that. The funny thing is, that while the US has some justifacation for it being the world super power. Most people barely register Australia. Maybe thats why - they know that to the rest of the world there just some parochial rock down under and so they over compensate. Bit like a kid that gets ignored and starts jumping up and down for attention.
Australia was good enough to pay you the big wages you want, you didnt complain about that, not too many jobs for geologists in UK is there!

I think your find VS moved for his wife ..
And are you his spokesperson? It has been everyones choice to move to Australia so if all people can do is moan would it not be better they moved elsewhere.

Now we now where the term 'winging poms' came from!

Did any of the moaners actually visit Oz before they decided to come and live here?

My wife and I have been here for 18 months and love it. Yes, we did check the place out before hand.

Let me see now, the positives of living here over UK.

Space. (loads of it)

Roads (just being able to drive to most places without the horrendous traffic)

Weather (probably the best reason for leaving that overcrowded little island)

Salaries (my wife earns approx. 2.5 times more than she did in UK)

People (easy to make freinds and most people friendly and polite - they also have a dislike of scroungers and so called asylum seekers)

Food (far superior to UK, especially meat)

Places to go (I cannot understand why so many poms think that there is nothing to do, and the fact that wherever you go you can always find parking and it's usually free)

I could go on and on, however, as you can probably imagine - I love Oz.

Did any of the moaners actually visit Oz before they decided to come and live here?

My wife and I have been here for 18 months and love it. Yes, we did check the place out before hand.

Space. (loads of it)

People (easy to make freinds and most people friendly and polite - they also have a dislike of scroungers and so called asylum seekers)

Places to go (I cannot understand why so many poms think that there is nothing to do, and the fact that wherever you go you can always find parking and it's usually free)

Hi and welcome to PIO. It’s great that you have settled so well, and found the sort of life and lifestyle that suits you. PIO is a great forum, one that provides support and encouragement for people looking to move to Aus, already living there, or thinking of returning to the UK. The section of the forum you have chosen to make your first post in is ‘Moving Back to the UK’, and people return for all sorts of reasons. Not surprising I guess, as we are all different.

I’m sure people moving out to Aus will appreciate your thoughts and views on what the country has to offer. But Moving Back to the UK is more geared to providing support for those folk that have decided, for whatever reason, that Aus is not where they want or need to be right now. Not criticising as such Slynx, just hopefully clarifying as things can get a bit heated in MBTTUK, and sometimes the needs of the original poster can get lost in the Aus versus UK arguments. Tx

Space. (loads of it)

You are posting in "Moving Back To UK" thread. The original poster asked "what are the main reasons you moved back", not "why do you love it here". I think you're missing the point of this thread.

Bugger...it must have been the wrong Perth I went to then....where is this other Perth? Sounds lovely.

Hi Perthbum, As frustrating as you can be at times with your Perth bashing...you do keep this forum on it's toes. It is all about perception. I get that you hated Perth...but then I'm 50... somewhat older than you... with a husband & 2 kids aged 9 & 13. We love it. Your perception is that it was rubbish. That is absolutely fine. Too us it is lovely. I'm only sorry you couldn't see it throughour eyes. But then, your circumstances were different.

Give the new poster a break maybe? We dont all look at the forum the thread is in before replying and the number of 'off topic' posts on the thread is high without getting knickers in a knot about a newbie! Welcome slynx

Sorry you if you read my post that way HappyHeart - it was a genuine welcome, and there was no hidden agenda in what I wrote. Still, there’s a lesson there for me that every post has the potential to create difference, irrespective of the motives of the poster :rolleyes: Tx

Sorry you if you read my post that way HappyHeart - it was a genuine welcome, and there was no hidden agenda in what I wrote. Still, there’s a lesson there for me that every post has the potential to create difference, irrespective of the motives of the poster :rolleyes: Tx

Not yours so much more the one after yours...yours was very balanced I thought!

Agreed HappyHeart. I didn't think they were offensive, just vocal. Having been a member on here for years (more reading than posting) I've seen how a thread can deteriorate badly and no newbie wants to get caught up in that. I'm genuinely pleased for them that they are loving where they live, that's what we all ultimately want.

Archived