What are the main reasons you moved back?

jen85

Hi I know Ive not lived in Perth so I cant relate honestly to your views, however I have to agree with others...England is not in a great place unemployment is at 8.5 percent and many many graduates leave university with degrees and are unable to get employment, often then on benefits such as job seekers allowance. Which at least meant they don't have to pay back their huge student loans immeditely! The health service is creaking under the strain as is the socal security departments.

Many schools are becoming academys up and down the counrty with a change in educational focus and some say leaning towards children that are academic....what about the majority of kids with other great potential in say sports etc..

Worst of all is the huge rise in crime and drinking cultures, with round the clock alcohol licensing and massive increases in alcohol related violence I would do pretty much anything to avoid my children being raised in this current culture.

Worst of all it still rains a lot!! We come from a seaside town and i get on the beach once a year if I'm lucky...

Research the realities of the areas your going back too, (easier if you have family I suppose) and Best of Luck in your hunt for happyness....after all thats what we are all searching for eh!:jiggy:

Crime is going down hugely in the UK as it is s in most countries.....honestly do you crime and anti social behaviour will be any better in Perth because it ain't just as much crime and crap in oz statistics have shown.....same **** different country.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are going to take them to one which is the same if not worse.....it beggars belief

Another one in for a big, big shock!!!!!!

He needs to live here, before he makes comments like that really, and see the alcohol and drug problems .You just cant research the drug and alcohol levels , as its so often brushed under the carpet and gets convieniently forgotton in so many of the released stats.

You have to live here and see it first hand

I am in Western Australia Mandurah and I really want to go home. There are many reasons. That feeling of home I miss, my whole family since we have been here including myself have been bullied in the workforce/college and felt very unwelcome in most places. Silly things like having no local shops, not much to do here. Obviously social life is 0 and not much for the children. The biggest thing at the moment is how my child has been treated at school for being English and the same with my young sister who is very depressed because of this. I think we have had a real rough ride here and the freely racism comments are exhausting. :-(

Don't agree, don't think it's as bad here as the UK, not in Perth anyway. Maybe we've been lucky with our kids but I have a 23 year old and an 18 year old. The eldest went through the usual drinking a lot when he got to 18, I was surprised he didn't start a bit earlier tbh but most of his mates seemed to wait until they were 18 to start. I think it has a lot to do with the area we live, who his mates are, what he got involved in as a youngster. He was always into sport, swimming and surf club mainly and the whole drugs and even smoking scene is really frowned on amongst that crowd. He also played aussie rules and the guys that he was playing that with started drinking a lot earlier. Seems to go along with the culture of the sport.

Luckily most of his friends are still from surf club, swimming and school and I don't know any of them that even smoke. They come round our place quite a bit for pre drinks and they are a decent bunch. I'm not trying to be defensive or paint a better picture than it is. My son tells me that drugs are around and available if you are that way inclined, but they were when I was growing up too. You can only try and educate your kids and hope they don't want to get into the drug scene I guess.

It must be awful if they do.

Coming from Blackpool though I would imagine that you would think it heaps better here.

Two of our friends who emigrated at the same time as us in '99 have sons who have completely left the rails in Perth. They moved at age 4 and 5, so I don't think UK 'youth culture' can be blamed. I don't want to go into the problems they've had - it feels like a betrayal to put it on a public forum, but they've been to hell and back with their sons.

My oh is a psychiatrist whose specialty is youth mental health and the problems he has to deal with are the same in the UK as Australia. He covers some of the most deprived areas of the NE at the moment. He's worked in Perth, Sydney, Melbourne as well as doing fifo to some rural and remote communities. The drug scene is very similar everywhere, except the drug of choice in the UK seems to be dope, in Australia he saw a lot more ice induced problems. The level of anger was much higher there too, for some reason he can't quite work out.

My children have obviously spent time in both countries growing up and they're still in touch with friends everywhere. There are no more of them smoking, taking drugs, having underage sex in the UK than Australia and no fewer of them involved in sport, volunteering, work or community things. They all have similar ambitions for their futures too. I don't believe that we have reduced our daughters' chances in life, or exposed them to mortal danger by bringing them back to the UK. They seem quite happy, balanced and successful, so far!

As a comprehensive report by the 2004 Victorian Drugs and Crime Prevention Committee Inquiry into amphetamine and party drug use in Victoria reported, both ecstasy use and amphetamine use is most prevalent in Australia compared to Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States.

The Committee went on to quote the United Nations Office of Drug Control:

“…the Amphetamine Type Stimulant phenomenon in Australia is serious and growing. Australia has the highest levels of ecstasy abuse worldwide.”

http://theconversation.com/australias-love-affair-with-drugs-6311

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Britain now official drugs capital of Europe as more youngsters use cocaine, ecstasy and amphetamines

Drug abuse in Britain is worse than anywhere else in Europe, a devastating analysis showed yesterday.

Young people in the UK are more likely to take cocaine, Ecstasy and amphetamine than those in any other country on the Continent, it said.

They are using cocaine in quantities and with a frequency unmatched anywhere else in the world apart from the U.S., the report found.

Drug abuse in Britain is worse than anywhere else in Europe, a study has found

One in 20 schoolchildren of 15 and 16 - around 200,000 teenagers - have used the drug, it said.

The analysis, by the European Union's drug agency, also pointed to levels of deaths from drugs that are higher here than in any other major nation in the EU.

Deaths linked to drug abuse in Britain are, the figures suggest, running at double the rate of those in Germany and four times those in France.

Drugs are everywhere, it's a fact of life.

I am in Western Australia Mandurah and I really want to go home. There are many reasons. That feeling of home I miss, my whole family since we have been here including myself have been bullied in the workforce/college and felt very unwelcome in most places. Silly things like having no local shops, not much to do here. Obviously social life is 0 and not much for the children. The biggest thing at the moment is how my child has been treated at school for being English and the same with my young sister who is very depressed because of this. I think we have had a real rough ride here and the freely racism comments are exhausting. :-(

Unfortunately a very common story.

I feel for you, I really do.

I can understand your thoughts. Let me just give this word of caution. Everyone assumes that they will have a outdoors lifestyle here. But, from my experience, if your outdoors in the UK then yes, but if your not already outdoors people, you wont be here. This one has been debated on here for ever and a day. I would say i am less outdoors here than i ever was - heat in summer is too extreme and winter is pretty extreme - have a look at the news for the last couple of days to see what i mean.

As for Uni. I am a grad recruiter for the industry i work in. I have also put several grads through post grad courses as part of their development. From my experience, the post grad courses asnd research undertaken at Oz uni's is very high indeed. But, for undergrad, shocking. I find the new grads are at a level that if they were completing first year in the UK, they would be having a chat with the head of dept to see if this was really the best course for them.

All the issues that you see first hand now are absaloutly no different here. One or two are slightly better, one or two slightly worse. For example, i saw you were thinking of Ipswich QLD.

http://www.qt.com.au/news/ipswich-crime-rises-5/1595981/

That is before the QLD state government did a slash and burn recently of public jobs which included nurses and police.

It really is no different.

Thank you for the info and I have read the article re increased crime rates in Ipswich too. I appreciate your words of caution, and am certain my son (who is a very outdoors child here, which he adores...will continue to flourish with the outdoors opportunities in oz)

I'm not sure if either yourself or flathead have been to Blackpool recently or surrounding local areas, but the levels of open drinking culture in 13 - 14 year olds is insane...yep 13 - 14 year old!! We have the highest numbers of domestic violence and teenage pregnancy outside London! However, again please don't misunderstand me this is not a big escape I actually love this town and have many many fond memories here, however both my hubby and I believe that we all will have a great big adventure! As I've said I understand that Perth seems to have more negative press on here, however we are aiming for the East coast...with family and a huge support network.

People winge/grumble and complain all across the world and we can all highlight the really negative pockets occurring where we live...but my family and I really want to experience another great country! Even with its many similarities, politics and issues...we think its worth a try! Plus the hundreds and hundreds of nurses and doctors leaving Uk every month can 't all be blinded by positivity??

As I mentioned I am neither naïve or bonkers, and after loving it here all my life lets love it somewhere else for a bit!

Sunshine and smiling people!.... bring it on!!

Britain now official drugs capital of Europe as more youngsters use cocaine, ecstasy and amphetamines

Drug abuse in Britain is worse than anywhere else in Europe, a devastating analysis showed yesterday.

Young people in the UK are more likely to take cocaine, Ecstasy and amphetamine than those in any other country on the Continent, it said.

They are using cocaine in quantities and with a frequency unmatched anywhere else in the world apart from the U.S., the report found.

Drug abuse in Britain is worse than anywhere else in Europe, a study has found

One in 20 schoolchildren of 15 and 16 - around 200,000 teenagers - have used the drug, it said.

The analysis, by the European Union's drug agency, also pointed to levels of deaths from drugs that are higher here than in any other major nation in the EU.

Deaths linked to drug abuse in Britain are, the figures suggest, running at double the rate of those in Germany and four times those in France.

Drugs are everywhere, it's a fact of life.

I'm afraid your absolutely right Hoff. On one of our clinical areas we often have young people 20 - 30 admitted after taking cocaine and causing STROKE! The core ingredients are incredibly cheap to cut the drug now and add huge Quantity to it...of late very pure (as if!) cocaine is being given as 18th birthday gifts locally! It out of control and there is no pub or club in this area that does not have frequent cocaine abuse occurring on its premises...its tragic and I worry to where it will end!

Reasons to not rush back to Uk. Perhaps?

Thank you for the info and I have read the article re increased crime rates in Ipswich too. I appreciate your words of caution, and am certain my son (who is a very outdoors child here, which he adores...will continue to flourish with the outdoors opportunities in oz)

I'm not sure if either yourself or flathead have been to Blackpool recently or surrounding local areas, but the levels of open drinking culture in 13 - 14 year olds is insane...yep 13 - 14 year old!! We have the highest numbers of domestic violence and teenage pregnancy outside London! However, again please don't misunderstand me this is not a big escape I actually love this town and have many many fond memories here, however both my hubby and I believe that we all will have a great big adventure! As I've said I understand that Perth seems to have more negative press on here, however we are aiming for the East coast...with family and a huge support network.

People winge/grumble and complain all across the world and we can all highlight the really negative pockets occurring where we live...but my family and I really want to experience another great country! Even with its many similarities, politics and issues...we think its worth a try! Plus the hundreds and hundreds of nurses and doctors leaving Uk every month can 't all be blinded by positivity??

As I mentioned I am neither naïve or bonkers, and after loving it here all my life lets love it somewhere else for a bit!

Honestly do not be under any illusion that teenage preganancy, teenage drinking, drugs , gambling, crime is any less here,,,,it all happens in Aus.

Whether its more, less or the same as the UK,,,its still a flipping big problem in Aus.

Honestly, do not think the sun shining will make a huge difference to your life,,,,it can be a complete pain, when its stinking hot and you find yourself very limited to the outdoor life, as its just too unbearable outside.We find we do far less outdoor things now, as the heat can be awful.

As for smiling people,,,,,,,,,,well,,,,,,,,again,,,a very big shock instore for you there.

Have you ever been to Aus ?

I'm afraid your absolutely right Hoff. On one of our clinical areas we often have young people 20 - 30 admitted after taking cocaine and causing STROKE! The core ingredients are incredibly cheap to cut the drug now and add huge Quantity to it...of late very pure (as if!) cocaine is being given as 18th birthday gifts locally! It out of control and there is no pub or club in this area that does not have frequent cocaine abuse occurring on its premises...its tragic and I worry to where it will end!

Reasons to not rush back to Uk. Perhaps?

And what do you think we are dealing with on an everyday basis here?

Our MH units are full of youngsters with drug problems as are ED departments.....it is a major problem and in my experience worse than the UK.

I work In a number of Hospitals and it is the same all over

Another one in for a big, big shock!!!!!!

He needs to live here, before he makes comments like that really, and see the alcohol and drug problems .You just cant research the drug and alcohol levels , as its so often brushed under the carpet and gets convieniently forgotton in so many of the released stats.

You have to live here and see it first hand

Hi Sapphire

Can I ask which area of Australia you live in?

Its so vast I'm hoping to understand as much of each states issues as poss...I only think its polite to learn about a country as much as poss before I live in it

Thanks

Honestly do not be under any illusion that teenage preganancy, teenage drinking, drugs , gambling, crime is any less here,,,,it all happens in Aus.

Whether its more, less or the same as the UK,,,its still a flipping big problem in Aus.

Honestly, do not think the sun shining will make a huge difference to your life,,,,it can be a complete pain, when its stinking hot and you find yourself very limited to the outdoor life, as its just too unbearable outside.We find we do far less outdoor things now, as the heat can be awful.

As for smiling people,,,,,,,,,,well,,,,,,,,again,,,a very big shock instore for you there.

Have you ever been to Aus ?

Yes I have several trips and also at different times....as I've mentioned I'm neither naïve or bonkers?

Annoyingly cheerful and positive perhaps...like many ozzies I've had the pleasure of meeting and living with?!

I've made friends chatting to ladies in the supermarkets, and shopping mall and even in a queue waiting for coffee... all while staying in Ipswich.

I'm the same whether I'm in UK or Oz...as I said annoyingly cheerful!

Do you not know any smiling people???

Hi Sapphire

Can I ask which area of Australia you live in?

Its so vast I'm hoping to understand as much of each states issues as poss...I only think its polite to learn about a country as much as poss before I live in it

Thanks

Hi

We are in Tassie.Probably one of the quieter states, but nether the less, for a small island, theres plenty of problems here.

There is a lot to learn, and you will only find out what its like by being in Aus, for a length of time

You will get an array of opinions on here,and only you can deceide whether to take notice or not

Personally I wish we had stayed in the UK, we had a great life, but thought Aus would be even better

We totaly dismissed the negatives and really thought the negatives were just "sour grapes".In hindsight we should of taken notice and realised that it really is same s..t, different country.

Some come and love it and others loathe it.

If you can come out and give it a go, without burning your bridges back home and giving up everything in the UK, that is what I would advise.

If it works out great,,,,,,,,but if its not what you thought, you havent given up everything back home.

And what do you think we are dealing with on an everyday basis here?

Our MH units are full of youngsters with drug problems as are ED departments.....it is a major problem and in my experience worse than the UK.

I work In a number of Hospitals and it is the same all over

Ok I concede...your local experience is greater therefore you must have amore balanced view.

Perhaps my experience will be invaluable in dealing with theses similar issues...same the world over :)

You can be as cheerful as you like but that will still not affect the social problems here. ....and before you go taking 'Hoff's 'advice' just remember he has never lived here either

Hi

We are in Tassie.Probably one of the quieter states, but nether the less, for a small island, theres plenty of problems here.

There is a lot to learn, and you will only find out what its like by being in Aus, for a length of time

You will get an array of opinions on here,and only you can deceide whether to take notice or not

Personally I wish we had stayed in the UK, we had a great life, but thought Aus would be even better

We totaly dismissed the negatives and really thought the negatives were just "sour grapes".In hindsight we should of taken notice and realised that it really is same s..t, different country.

Some come and love it and others loathe it.

If you can come out and give it a go, without burning your bridges back home and giving up everything in the UK, that is what I would advise.

If it works out great,,,,,,,,but if its not what you thought, you havent given up everything back home.

Hi Sapphire

No I haven't bunt my bridges so to speak, as I feel sure I could come back and get a job etc....we are hoping to sell our house as we don't have much equity and to be honest the worries of managing a property here...even with an agent would get on our nerves. Plus we were wanting to move any way regardless of our plans to come to OZ...when did you leave UK, where did you live?

My sisters cousins (on the other side) live in Tassie and are moving back over to QLD early next year. Their reasons were around not much for them or their teenage kids to do...your thoughts??

I realise there are lots of views on here and I'm pretty thick skinned. I enjoy the banter and hearing everybody's views it all makes for a richer view of the world:)

You can be as cheerful as you like but that will still not affect the social problems here. ....and before you go taking 'Hoff's 'advice' just remember he has never lived here either

Ok I concede...your local experience is greater therefore you must have amore balanced view.

Perhaps my experience will be invaluable in dealing with theses similar issues...same the world over :)

Hoff may not have lived in Oz but I would suggest by living in UK his views are justified on here?

Hoff may not have lived in Oz but I would suggest by living in UK his views are justified on here?

And most of us have lived in both countries so we have seen both sides of the coin.

Hi Sapphire

No I haven't bunt my bridges so to speak, as I feel sure I could come back and get a job etc....we are hoping to sell our house as we don't have much equity and to be honest the worries of managing a property here...even with an agent would get on our nerves. Plus we were wanting to move any way regardless of our plans to come to OZ...when did you leave UK, where did you live?

My sisters cousins (on the other side) live in Tassie and are moving back over to QLD early next year. Their reasons were around not much for them or their teenage kids to do...your thoughts??

I realise there are lots of views on here and I'm pretty thick skinned. I enjoy the banter and hearing everybody's views it all makes for a richer view of the world:)

I've lived here 21 years mate and I fully understand your reasons for coming, they are a lot like the reasons we had when we came. We had an idea of what it would be like and we weren't too far off the mark. We love it.

I think you are right when you say about happy smiling people, the good weather seems to make people happier and more content. Maybe it's just that we are happy and hang around with a happy bunch of people, certainly a lot less moaning than we used to experience in the UK.

Good luck.

I've lived here 21 years mate and I fully understand your reasons for coming, they are a lot like the reasons we had when we came. We had an idea of what it would be like and we weren't too far off the mark. We love it.

I think you are right when you say about happy smiling people, the good weather seems to make people happier and more content. Maybe it's just that we are happy and hang around with a happy bunch of people, certainly a lot less moaning than we used to experience in the UK.

Good luck.

Thank you Paul, I think we are on the same page...cheerfulness does make the difference in all aspects of life.

And most of us have lived in both countries so we have seen both sides of the coin.

ok ok...its hell and I don't know why I'm bothering :laugh: (Joke obviously!!)

BTW are you on your way back to living in the UK?

It reads to me like you've got your eyes open Samdom. Yes we do have significant problems with youth alcohol use and drug-taking in Australia, just as the UK does. I think wherever you live it's almost impossible to put a fence around our children and keep those things out of their lives. As they get older I think our influence as parents diminishes, and their peer group's influence grows. I think that all any of us can do is be aware of the risks and try and be on the look out for the danger signs. I'm not a poster who thinks very highly of Australia, and I've certainly never subscribed to the view that it's automatically better for children here. It can be, but like with so many things in life it depends as much upon luck as judgement. Hope the move works the way you want it to. :smile:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I don't really offer advice on living there, however I have a lot of relatives and friends who live there and most of them love it In Australia. I have a great life in the UK, I feel sorry for people who aren't happy, either in the UK, or Australia, but most people who emigrate say their lives have been enhanced, especially for there kids. It's not like this for everyone, for some it isnt where they want to live and there's plenty in the UK who ave a good life as well, they are two great countries, it's finding which is best for each and everyone of us, just because someone's own personal experience is negative, doesn't mean it will be the same for a lot of others.

Yes I have several trips and also at different times....as I've mentioned I'm neither naïve or bonkers?

Annoyingly cheerful and positive perhaps...like many ozzies I've had the pleasure of meeting and living with?!

I've made friends chatting to ladies in the supermarkets, and shopping mall and even in a queue waiting for coffee... all while staying in Ipswich.

When you are on holiday, everyone seems lovely and it always seems the perfect place to live

Archived