What are the main reasons you moved back?

jen85

Looks like all the people on here are young, i can tell you from a pensioners point of view, if you don't like it now you will definitely not like it when you are old. I know some pensioners have it tough in the UK but most of my friends over there are able to do far more i do, always going on holiday or trips out. Hope you all have a good pension fund because you will need it.

I was the one who wanted to come here so i have myself to blame,we could really never afford to go back to live as the dollar was so low but i always wanted to. Too late now.

I think sadly I am one of the more senior members as I am rapidly approaching yet another decade, having retired to Oz 10 years ago.

Like so many other stages of your life, no one place suits all, be it UK or Oz. lots of our friends are in UK and enjoy their retirement as much as we do. If you are happy in Oz great, if you are happy in UK great, but Happiness is personal.

The main problem to enjoying retirement can sometimes be financial or poor health, but depending on where you live as long as you are healthy you should be able to find things that don't cost too much. Life isn't a dress rehearsal, so it's important to get the most out of it, whatever age you are.

i'm sorry you are so unhappy.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Blimey 2 weeks in Jersey and a week in Blackpool. Why would you be interested in doing that? You already live in a better place than either of those and you don't have to go on a trip.

We used to holiday abroad every year up till we got married. Had to to get our fix of sunshine. Then we couldn't afford it the first year we were married so decided we would move to somewhere we wouldn't be hankering for a holiday.

Think you missed the point....I said my 80 yr old mother goes, I never mentioned myself going there. I was responding to a comment relating to people in UK not being so poor as was being made out. the point is my Mum can afford to do all these things on a pension. The fact is you don't know my circumstances so don't tell me I'm living in a better place.....and for the record, I wouldn't be seen dead in Blackpool.

I guess because the lady in question mentioned Jersey and Blackpool, both seaside destinations I would think. Anyway it's nothing to do with beaches and sunshine, Sydney would be nicer whether you went to the beach or not.

Have you ever been to Jersey? Not the the answer matters, but in my opinion, Sydney is over rated, too expensive, a shitter to commute around, the people are up themselves? I never did like the beach, or the beach goer type. Given the choice, I prefer Melbourne. So why would I think Sydmey is nicer....it's a matter of opinion

Blimey 2 weeks in Jersey and a week in Blackpool. Why would you be interested in doing that? You already live in a better place than either of those and you don't have to go on a trip.

We used to holiday abroad every year up till we got married. Had to to get our fix of sunshine. Then we couldn't afford it the first year we were married so decided we would move to somewhere we wouldn't be hankering for a holiday.

ha ha ha ,,,,is that what ive got to look forward to ?....no summer palace in vienna .....no watching the eiffel tower burst into light from the trocadero ......no gondola rides in venice ......no afternoon drinks in nice ,,,,,,,,this is bad , i better keep working

I think sadly I am one of the more senior members as I am rapidly approaching yet another decade, having retired to Oz 10 years ago.

Like so many other stages of your life, no one place suits all, be it UK or Oz. lots of our friends are in UK and enjoy their retirement as much as we do. If you are happy in Oz great, if you are happy in UK great, but Happiness is personal.

The main problem to enjoying retirement can sometimes be financial or poor health, but depending on where you live as long as you are healthy you should be able to find things that don't cost too much. Life isn't a dress rehearsal, so it's important to get the most out of it, whatever age you are.

i'm sorry you are so unhappy.

well said , enjoy yourself....youve earned it

paul , i appreciate and repect your love of the perth lifestyle ,i could do with a bit today , i have been in stoke ...IN THE RAIN , but please dont get so defensive ......each to their own

Not gone yet but hopefully maybe next year moving back.

Reasons-

-Friends and family- irreplaceable and miss them.

-Working hours are much longer here (Aus) with less holiday entitlement

-Feel like we have to start career from scratch here, foreign work experience & qualifications are not always well regarded

-Cost of living was easier for us to manage back in UK

-Miss the long, light evenings back home, gets dark way too quick here, in bed for 8pm most nights!

-I love to surf, managed to surf way more frequently back home due to less working hours, longer daylight hours, and more holiday entitlement (and I live right by the beach here in Aus too!).

-We had a large country house with land v. close to the beach at home, can't afford that here.

-Suburbia everywhere here, even by the beach.

-Astranomical daycare costs for our children, would be in school at home.

-Heaps of reasons, don't get me wrong I love it here too, but feeling the pull at the moment, who knows!

Not gone yet but hopefully maybe next year moving back.

Reasons-

-Friends and family- irreplaceable and miss them.

-Working hours are much longer here (Aus) with less holiday entitlement

-Feel like we have to start career from scratch here, foreign work experience & qualifications are not always well regarded

-Cost of living was easier for us to manage back in UK

-Miss the long, light evenings back home, gets dark way too quick here, in bed for 8pm most nights!

-I love to surf, managed to surf way more frequently back home due to less working hours, longer daylight hours, and more holiday entitlement (and I live right by the beach here in Aus too!).

-We had a large country house with land v. close to the beach at home, can't afford that here.

-Suburbia everywhere here, even by the beach.

-Astranomical daycare costs for our children, would be in school at home.

-Heaps of reasons, don't get me wrong I love it here too, but feeling the pull at the moment, who knows!

So true, people go to bed a lot earlier here than back home.

I love Blackpool. I love watching all the p*ssed up scousers fall over after 10 pints of swill at 1 pound a pint haha

Lots of retirement posts here. I think the UK would pip the post in that stage of my life, your not just living for the weekend then get let down by weather if you want to do something, you would get so many more nice days to do things. Perth would then be more of a pain for the weather as it rains a lot in winter and is then too hot in summer.

But if you work (pre retirement) your guarenteed good weather on weekends in summer which enables you to do more outside, even if its too hot

Think you missed the point....I said my 80 yr old mother goes, I never mentioned myself going there. I was responding to a comment relating to people in UK not being so poor as was being made out. the point is my Mum can afford to do all these things on a pension. The fact is you don't know my circumstances so don't tell me I'm living in a better place.....and for the record, I wouldn't be seen dead in Blackpool.

I really do hope your mother can go to Blackpool and Jersey at least a couple of times a year on her pension, would be a real shame if she couldn't. I hardly think that proves one way or the other whether she's poor or not, she might love Blackpool. Still don't think it's as nice as Sydney.

Most of them get up a lot earlier too, to enjoy the early morning sunshine.

That's so true. Couldn't believe the tradies working on my house turned up at 7am! I'm used to 9am at the earliest

Totally agree, my step father is in the construction industry in Brisbane and is up most days at 4.30am, rarely later than 5am. Therefore he rarely stays up past 9pm. I find it odd, especially considering on english tv, prime time seems to be 9-midnight.

I love Blackpool. I love watching all the p*ssed up scousers fall over after 10 pints of swill at 1 pound a pint haha

Lots of retirement posts here. I think the UK would pip the post in that stage of my life, your not just living for the weekend then get let down by weather if you want to do something, you would get so many more nice days to do things. Perth would then be more of a pain for the weather as it rains a lot in winter and is then too hot in summer.

But if you work (pre retirement) your guarenteed good weather on weekends in summer which enables you to do more outside, even if its too hot

Rains alot in Perth?! How long have you been here..it doesn't rain that often at all our winter temps here rarely get below 15 in the day!

It has been raining quite a bit the last few months, it actually rains more here than in the UK I think. It just buckets down a meter then dries off an hour later which I do prefer to drizzle for 2 weeks.

so we are now comparing Blackpool to Sydney ha ha Sydney does have a sort of pleasure beach doesn't it!

I used to LOVE Blackpool, still has a place in my heart, spent so many summer days there, they need to clean it up and get rid of the chav/hen do factor. The pleasure beach rocks...Oh the memories....:))

Blackpool was the long weekend of choice for me and my ex and our group of friends (pre babies), in the mid70's to early 80's luved everything about it, always something to do, rain, hail or shine.....got told by a promenade 'gypsy' that I had itchy feet and would travel (boy was she right) LOL. But sadly, I visited Blackpool in 2003 and it had changed for the worse, or have I changed? my mum and her cronies enjoy it tho.

I really do hope your mother can go to Blackpool and Jersey at least a couple of times a year on her pension, would be a real shame if she couldn't. I hardly think that proves one way or the other whether she's poor or not, she might love Blackpool. Still don't think it's as nice as Sydney.

Sheesh you just don't get it hey...... People whine they can't afford a holiday ANYWHERE. FFS I'm hardly comparing the 3 locations, since I've been in all 3, I think that qualifies me to judge and there is no comparison. Personally I don't like Sydney, but if we all like the same places...need I spell out the problems that would create? My mum is taking 2 holidays a year, so life in Scotland ain't that bad if she can do that, the locations were NOT the point I was making. And I disagree I think it DOES say that if she can do it on a pension, then anyone who wants to go on holiday (wherever that might be) can achieve it.

Well we were very happy living and working in Randwick, Sydney for the last 13 years. Made plenty of friends and felt very established. However we moved back to the UK to be able to give our aging Mothers some more of our time and frankly are loving it. The move was an upheaval but we are now relocated in North London (near Ally Pally) and so far it's been fantastic. Just waiting for a spot to come up at the local school and we're set.

So, we're missing:

oops, bloody computers, that submitted a bit soon,

anyway we're missing:

Beaches, obviously but we didn't live at the beach all the time anyway. Friends, that's the main thing.

Q and A

but we have gained:

Older friends;

The excitement of living somewhere new;

The proximity of worthwhile places to visit for a weekend or less.

Viewing the old country with new eyes, it really isn't that bad you know.

The weather has even been great the last few weeks!

The sense that a public secondary school isn't a second class (or worse) option.

Not missing at all:

Bloody Australian Politics, what a bunch of twonks

The kind of whinging that it takes an Australian to do properly.

So far, so great.

Russell

Well we were very happy living and working in Randwick, Sydney for the last 13 years. Made plenty of friends and felt very established. However we moved back to the UK to be able to give our aging Mothers some more of our time and frankly are loving it. The move was an upheaval but we are now relocated in North London (near Ally Pally) and so far it's been fantastic. Just waiting for a spot to come up at the local school and we're set.

So, we're missing:

When I was back at Christmas I went to the ally pally to watch the darts. Great night in the best city in the world. Great view from the top of the hill but didn't like the long walk up there..!

My wife's family are pensioners. They live in the UK. They holiday every year in a 5* villa in Cyprus. Every other year, they also take a long haul such as china, south America, Canada. There not rich. A holiday to Cyprus in a 5* villa is a LOT less than a holiday from Perth to Sydney.

They visit places like jersey on a daft weekend for a couple of nights. Costs next to nothing. They also do days out to other cities on a whim. How many cities can you do on a whim from Perth for a day? Well, I suppose you can go to freo and again, and again and......

If we go back we will probably live south / south west. Can jump on the eurostar for under $50 return. Have lunch in Paris, do a gallery, a walk around, puck up some nice bits for dinner, be home in time to cook them. From Perth?

Archived