What are the main reasons you moved back?

jen85

I think it gets more difficult the longer people stay overseas from their family. Complications like children who are born in Aus and are Aus and want to be, they build their childhood friendships as they should and depending on what they are like they want to stay where they are and be happy. My two have never shown any interest in going to live in the UK despite them having many cousins over there. Then again my sister in law who migrated to NZ yonks ago has two children in NZ and one who lives in UK. Split families are the norm now and we just have to make the most of it. One we were moving a long way if we moved from say Newcastle to London but now we move countries. I can only see more of it in the future and once the older mummy generation dies off a new way of life will occur.

Mummy generation is the generation after the boomers who protected, coddled and now insists that their children live round the corner and they are invited to every social occasion their children may have.

I do not agree with that scenario at all.

For instance my friend said to her daughter that should her oh pass away then she wanted to live near me, why because we are the same age, we have been friends more like sisters for a long long time and we go out and about together. If she moved to be near her daughter, her daughter goes to work and she has her own life.

Sometimes we need to think outside the square of family and what is important to us and often its that close friend or two or three. They are more like family and we have shared history.

Lots to think about before we pop our clogs and as that can happen at any time, unexpectedly, then we need to do what we want basically.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be interesting to know just how many of those who aren't happy in Australia were they the ones who wanted to go in the first place, the ones who drove the move forward. Or are they the ones who just went along with their partners, because they either thought they would try it, or didn't want to standing the way of their partners dream. I can imagine a high percentage of those who aren't as keen on Oz didn't fully want to go in the first place.

I haven't returned the. UK...yet...but ever since I was 6 and many hols etc later I decided I wanted to live in oz. after going to uni to do social work which I knew would get me into oz, 20 plus years later my partner and I moved. We met and our first convo was we both were intending to move to oz. well 19 months after living in Sydney, it's beautiful etc but not what I dreamed of. It's changed over my 20 plus years of visiting, prices have dramatically increased, not so much work/ life balance, my career prospects in oz are shocking to nil, ( for me personally) and missing familiarity, friends but mainly family. The positives just don't outweigh the negatives...crap wages...crap lifestyle...it's lovely when you have money and time to do nice things but if you don't its not so great! Had a convo with my aunty who arrived 40 plus years ago, saying quess where I thought of moving to next........yep..UK!

Interesting question you've posed there Jim. My Australian missus always had her heart set on going home after a six year spell in the UK. I was never interested in the place tbh, unlike how so many Brits so obviously are. Even now after nearly five years here I meet people through my daughter's school who are incredibly excited just to be here and it really brings it home to me how I'm a fish out of water here. I tip my hat to people who make the sacrifice long term to live in a country they don't like - Oz or UK - for the sake of family.

I think personally when you get to the point in your life where the family connection becomes the most important thing you dont even consider or worry about where you are, you just live.

Tell her im missing her funny posts! I only just realised the other day that harpo's not been around, its definitely been quiet

I reckon he'll be back Stacey. Maybe he's on holiday somewhere with no internet access. He'll be having withdrawal symptoms.

I only arrived in February on a PR visa but don't see myself staying longer than a year. I'm not especially homesick and am happy to wait until march-April time to make the decision. It's only fair to give Australia a proper chance and maybe after the summer, the ashes, Aussie open, and the sun I won't want to contemplate leaving.

But I'm 31 now and should probably think about settling down at some point...I was never keen to buy a house back home because I knew I wanted to move to Australia at some point. When I go back I'll have that all out of my system and will be happy to put some roots down back in London.

In a nutshell the main factors for me going back will be friends, family, and career.

Where do you begin?

Inflated prices for everything

Even living in Sydney a feeling of isolation

Huge price for internal flights

Dog walking pretty much prohibitive in large open spaces in Sydney and boy is there a lot of space - over protection of National Parks

Crap sausages

Crap shopping

Childish politics

Exorbitant price for internet

No free wifi in public areas or motels etc - only at airport to my knowledge

No central heating - it does get cold here. Coldest two winters of my life spent in Sydney - archaic!!

Where do you begin?

Dog walking pretty much prohibitive in large open spaces in Sydney and boy is there a lot of space - over protection of National Parks

Crap sausages

Crap shopping

Childish politics

No central heating - it does get cold here. Coldest two winters of my life spent in Sydney - archaic!!

Alot of cafes in Sydney have free wifi but you do have to search them out agree with your other points except the sausages I always thought the english ones were too watery and fatty but maybe that was just the supermarket ones.

Where do you begin?

Crap sausages

Crap shopping

Childish politics

Yeah but apart from that

To be fair Paul, and to give a bit of balance, 'kids ' can do it from the Uk too. My daughter has just finished her A levels and is touring Europe right now. She and her friends have been to Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Krakow, are now in Budapest and heading to Vienna today, then to Munich, Paris, Florence and Rome before coming home at the end of July. She's home for 5 days before going to Norway and Sweden for three weeks with her boyfriend. Then she's home for 6hours before we go to Spain for a family holiday. She and her friends have paid for their trips themselves.

Yes, be careful where you move to (either way), but not everyone here is destitute, just as not everyone in Aus is wealthy.

paul .....where is this perception that everyone in the u.k is skint ? ....mate my daughter is 14 and in a few weeks we go on the last big trip ....berlin ....budapest .....prague .....vienna ....krakow ....warsaw .

she was born in the u.k and has seen more of the world , than she ever would have done from oz ....both my daughters have a great kife ....we have just had a meal in the " orange tree" warwickshire ....reportedly near to daniel craigs new house .....

There is some serious wealth in the area .....a bit out of my league .......but thats where my daughter booked

for your information , not all of us live like you did in stockport ........get over this idea we are all struggling .....

so much to see and do here ....life is full

i know on a daily basis whats going on in w,a .....again i dont want a swap ......your cousins may be broke ....some people are doing very well .......

by the makes aand models of cars on the car park tonight .... very well indeed

paul .....where is this perception that everyone in the u.k is skint ? ....mate my daughter is 14 and in a few weeks we go on the last big trip ....berlin ....budapest .....prague .....vienna ....krakow ....warsaw .

she was born in the u.k and has seen more of the world , than she ever would have done from oz ....both my daughters have a great kife ....we have just had a meal in the " orange tree" warwickshire ....reportedly near to daniel craigs new house .....

There is some serious wealth in the area .....a bit out of my league .......but thats where my daughter booked

for your information , not all of us live like you did in stockport ........get over this idea we are all struggling .....

i know on a daily basis whats going on in w,a .....again i dont want a swap ......your cousins may be broke ....some people are doing very well .......

\

Who's paying though bunbury? You or your daughter.

Looks like all the people on here are young, i can tell you from a pensioners point of view, if you don't like it now you will definitely not like it when you are old. I know some pensioners have it tough in the UK but most of my friends over there are able to do far more i do, always going on holiday or trips out. Hope you all have a good pension fund because you will need it.

I was the one who wanted to come here so i have myself to blame,we could really never afford to go back to live as the dollar was so low but i always wanted to. Too late now.

Looks like all the people on here are young, i can tell you from a pensioners point of view, if you don't like it now you will definitely not like it when you are old. I know some pensioners have it tough in the UK but most of my friends over there are able to do far more i do, always going on holiday or trips out. Hope you all have a good pension fund because you will need it.

I was the one who wanted to come here so i have myself to blame,we could really never afford to go back to live as the dollar was so low but i always wanted to. Too late now.

Completely agree with you. Been here 25yrs, and have decided (as hard a decision as it was) to return back for good to Scotland in March 2014 (I will be 60 later that year). My mum is 80, doesn't have a driving licence, but that doesn't stops her, she is never home, public transport is sooooo much better, you don't need a car to get around. If I don't have my car for a day here, it takes me a 200mtr walk, 2 buses and another 100mtr walk and half an hour just to go 5 Kim's. That's fine whilst I'm young and reasonably fit.

What I also find fascinating is that leaving Australia before pension age means I get nothing when I reach that age even after contributing 25yrs full time employment and paying taxes. To gt an Australian pension I need to be resident here for 2 yrs prior to claiming. Whereas if I remain here, I can still apply, and get, my Uk pension paid to me in Oz. Probably a good reason why UK is broke, but still feels unfair somehow.

Agree. My Mum goes to Jersey every August for 2 weeks and 1 week to Blackppol on the pensioners bus...all at 80 yrs old. She is never home, goes to theatre every coupla months. My brothers and their families holiday abroad no less than every 2 yrs. I could go on and list my who,e extended family, but the bottom line is, they have had ordinary working class lives and live a comfortable life. They do watch the pennies, but they don't live week to week. I don't consider I have it any better here.....what I pay for air con they pay for heating LOL

It's never too late (or so I tell myself!). At 64 I am finding UK far more to my taste than Aus has been for the last 20 years. Sometimes your circumstances change and you find yourself with more freedom to do what you really want to do with your life - for me, the move back has been nothing short of miraculous even though our motive for moving here (which the DH agreed to) was caring for my 89 year old parents (where is the hair tearing icon when you need him?). Talk about a new lease of life, there is so much to do. Hopefully you will find a loophole through which you can move if you want to!

Agree. My Mum goes to Jersey every August for 2 weeks and 1 week to Blackppol on the pensioners bus...all at 80 yrs old. She is never home, goes to theatre every coupla months. My brothers and their families holiday abroad no less than every 2 yrs. I could go on and list my who,e extended family, but the bottom line is, they have had ordinary working class lives and live a comfortable life. They do watch the pennies, but they don't live week to week. I don't consider I have it any better here.....what I pay for air con they pay for heating LOL

Blimey 2 weeks in Jersey and a week in Blackpool. Why would you be interested in doing that? You already live in a better place than either of those and you don't have to go on a trip.

We used to holiday abroad every year up till we got married. Had to to get our fix of sunshine. Then we couldn't afford it the first year we were married so decided we would move to somewhere we wouldn't be hankering for a holiday.

Blimey 2 weeks in Jersey and a week in Blackpool. Why would you be interested in doing that? You already live in a better place than either of those and you don't have to go on a trip.

We used to holiday abroad every year up till we got married. Had to to get our fix of sunshine. Then we couldn't afford it the first year we were married so decided we would move to somewhere we wouldn't be hankering for a holiday.

Paul....not everyone is interested in Beaches and sunshine........why is that always your criteria?

Paul....not everyone is interested in Beaches and sunshine........why is that always your criteria?

I guess because the lady in question mentioned Jersey and Blackpool, both seaside destinations I would think. Anyway it's nothing to do with beaches and sunshine, Sydney would be nicer whether you went to the beach or not.

Archived