Guest guest36187

17 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

Congrats!  Don’t think I’ve ever seen so many grants these last two weeks. On other sites also! 👍😁

Thank you , it was a very pleasant surprise and thank you for all advice and guidance I have read on this forum.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

Reply from pvc team states that I have to leave to activate my visa in the next 3 months and before my police and medicals exp early Feb.

Really hope the NZ travel bubble opens up soon then! 

Wow! A bit more worrying for you to do before then.  Fingers crossed that you can make a safe trip somewhere soon!  We got our visa today - massive relief and excitement!!

• Thanks 1
  • Congratulations 3

Hi all. Heading to WA later this month now that we’ve been granted our 143. I wonder if anyone who has made the move can advise what we might need to re taxation. We will still have a rental property in the UK. I believe I have to complete paperwork to avoid double taxation but I think I read something about having to have UK property valued for the purposes of Australian tax? If anyone has experience of this and can advise...great. If not I’ll see tax advisor when we get to Australia. Just wondered if anyone knows if there is anything I should do before we leave.

21 minutes ago, MajHam said:

Hi all. Heading to WA later this month now that we’ve been granted our 143. I wonder if anyone who has made the move can advise what we might need to re taxation. We will still have a rental property in the UK. I believe I have to complete paperwork to avoid double taxation but I think I read something about having to have UK property valued for the purposes of Australian tax? If anyone has experience of this and can advise...great. If not I’ll see tax advisor when we get to Australia. Just wondered if anyone knows if there is anything I should do before we leave.

@Alan Collett should  be able to help you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi all. I paid my 2nd VAC in August but because I’m onshore my 143 can’t be granted until I am out of the country. How many others are in the same position? My case officer contacted me yesterday to ask about my travel plans,I replied I’m waiting for the New Zealand bubble( hopefully). Not heard back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bigtrev said:

Hi all. I paid my 2nd VAC in August but because I’m onshore my 143 can’t be granted until I am out of the country. How many others are in the same position? My case officer contacted me yesterday to ask about my travel plans,I replied I’m waiting for the New Zealand bubble( hopefully). Not heard back.

For a visa to be granted, do you have to physically enter (immigration clearance) another country or just need to fly to somewhere outside Australia and fly back?   No idea what onshore and offshore in immigration context mean.

14 hours ago, MajHam said:

You don't have to get the property valued but it may be a good idea to do so in case of later CGT issues.  It's nothing to do with double taxation, though.  

In Australia, if you own a rental property, you can claim depreciation on the fabric of the building and the interior fixtures.  Depending on the age of the property, it can save you a bundle in tax.   You need a valuer to draw up a depreciation schedule before you go.  Australian valuers know how to do it, most British ones would have no idea (because it's not done in the UK). However, I believe Alan Collett has a contact in the UK who knows the ropes.

You dont need to do anything in advance about double taxation.  Basically, you'll have to complete a UK tax return, where you declare any income that's paid in the UK (but not any of your Australian income).   Then you'll have to declare ALL your income, both from the UK and from Australia, on your Aussie tax return, plus you'll declare any British tax paid on the UK income. The taxman will sort it out from there.

I have to give another vote to Alan.  I've never used his services, but I've found that most Australian tax agents don't have a clue how to handle UK income, and we've even had one member end up with a big fine because their tax agent gave them bad advice.  So either go with Alan or find another company that can demonstrate experience across both countries. 

Some people do handle it themselves but it does become a minefield, and doubly so if you own a rental property.  I'm so glad I used a tax agent all the time I owned a rental property - because when you sell it, you have to go back through every single year you've owned it and calculate depreciation and expenses etc all over again so they can calculate the CGT, and I wouldn't have stood a chance if the tax agent hadn't had all the records at his fingertips.

Edited by Marisawright

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

You don't have to get the property valued but it may be a good idea to do so in case of later CGT issues.  It's nothing to do with double taxation, though.  

In Australia, if you own a rental property, you can claim depreciation on the fabric of the building and the interior fixtures.  Depending on the age of the property, it can save you a bundle in tax.   You need a valuer to draw up a depreciation schedule before you go.  Australian valuers know how to do it, most British ones would have no idea (because it's not done in the UK). However, I believe Alan Collett has a contact in the UK who knows the ropes.

You dont need to do anything in advance about double taxation.  Basically, you'll have to complete a UK tax return, where you declare any income that's paid in the UK (but not any of your Australian income).   Then you'll have to declare ALL your income, both from the UK and from Australia, on your Aussie tax return, plus you'll declare any British tax paid on the UK income. The taxman will sort it out from there.

I have to give another vote to Alan.  I've never used his services, but I've found that most Australian tax agents don't have a clue how to handle UK income, and we've even had one member end up with a big fine because their tax agent gave them bad advice.  So either go with Alan or find another company that can demonstrate experience across both countries. 

Some people do handle it themselves but it does become a minefield, and doubly so if you own a rental property.  I'm so glad I used a tax agent all the time I owned a rental property - because when you sell it, you have to go back through every single year you've owned it and calculate depreciation and expenses etc all over again so they can calculate the CGT, and I wouldn't have stood a chance if the tax agent hadn't had all the records at his fingertips.

Thanks for this. You have been very helpful. I think you are right that when we get to Australia we should use a company familiar with taxation both countries so @Alan Collett I may well be in touch! 

• Like 1

On 13/11/2020 at 21:55, MajHam said:

Loads of info on the UK gov site:https://www.gov.uk/tax-right-retire-abroad-return-to-uk 

and https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad would be good place to start. You basically fill a form to tell them you're leaving, then complete a UK and AU tax return each year. You might actually be a bit better off as you can't claim much as UK landlord anymore but can claim it here. As is always the case with tax, good record keeping will help. 

Just FYI if you decide to sell a UK investment property down the line: 

I purchased an apartment around 8 years ago and sold it last year for exactly the same amount. There were costs involved in buying and selling so technically I made a loss, thus no capital gains tax, or so I thought. When my accountant did the AU return, he calculated the exchange rate when I purchased the property (even though that was purchased with pounds that had never been anywhere near Australia) and then again when I sold it. In short, I had an additional $3.5k to pay for capital gain. Invisible money that I never saw. Great for the ATO. Not so great for everyone else! 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ollie1234 said:

Loads of info on the UK gov site:https://www.gov.uk/tax-right-retire-abroad-return-to-uk 

and https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad would be good place to start. You basically fill a form to tell them you're leaving, then complete a UK and AU tax return each year. You might actually be a bit better off as you can't claim much as UK landlord anymore but can claim it here. As is always the case with tax, good record keeping will help. 

Just FYI if you decide to sell a UK investment property down the line: 

I purchased an apartment around 8 years ago and sold it last year for exactly the same amount. There were costs involved in buying and selling so technically I made a loss, thus no capital gains tax, or so I thought. When my accountant did the AU return, he calculated the exchange rate when I purchased the property (even though that was purchased with pounds that had never been anywhere near Australia) and then again when I sold it. In short, I had an additional $3.5k to pay for capital gain. Invisible money that I never saw. Great for the ATO. Not so great for everyone else! 

Hi Ollie.

The cost base for Aus CGT purposes if you own a property when moving to Australia is the value of the property in GBP terms upon arrival in Australia and becoming a tax resident (assuming you're not eligible for the temporary tax resident exemptions), translated into AUDs using the exchange rate at the same date.

It's not computed with reference to the original cost of the property and the exchange rate when you bought it.

Best regards.

4 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/contributory-parent-visa-application-numbers/

Details now received ....

Hopefully of interest to some who are still waiting for CPV visas.

Best regards.

Thanks Alan, somewhat painful!  However best to know and accept the wait times as best we can. 

0n another matter your earlier blog on queue dates (25/10/20) confused me slightly when you referred to 804 and 864 with dates prior to June 2018 being requested for medicals and police clearances soon but not off shore. Given that those clearances and medicals only last for 12 months wouldn't  they be out of date  at eventual processing - given that it's going to take a long time to even start processing applications lodged in mid 2016 onwards? 

4 hours ago, Flangela100 said:

Hi I received my straight 143 today, lodged April 2016, phew!

Can anyone recommend a shipment company to send my small amount of belongings from the UK?

Cheers

Angela

Congrats. I used Anglo Pacific. Go on their website. Choose box sizes and they will give you a quote. I had 8 book and 2 tea chests think it was about £400 2yrs later I still haven’t opened 4 of them lol 

4 hours ago, Flangela100 said:

Hi I received my straight 143 today, lodged April 2016, phew!

Can anyone recommend a shipment company to send my small amount of belongings from the UK?

Cheers

Angela

Have a look at SevenSeas using their MoveCube.  Absolutely satisfied from start to finish.  

Hi All, 

I just wanted to ask about the assurance of support approval letter. Once we get an approval for assurance of support- do we have to send the approval letter to the immigration department or Centrelink will send it to the immigration department automatically. 

Thanks all in advance.

Edited by gagan1991

37 minutes ago, gagan1991 said:

Hi All, 

I just wanted to ask about the assurance of support approval letter. Once we get an approval for assurance of support- do we have to send the approval letter to the immigration department or Centrelink will send it to the immigration department automatically. 

Thanks all in advance.

Send a copy yourself. Don’t wait for Centrelink 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gagan1991 said:

Hi All, 

Thanks all in advance.

I agree definitely send one yourself 

centelink do it but most of us have sent a copy to pvc team 

• Like 1