Guest guest36187

8 hours ago, Rosiejaq said:

I was just going to ask about bank accounts...and wondered what recommendations and experience people have of the Australian banking system.  We’re wondering about ING or Commonwealth Bank?  Any tips?  TIA

We opened a Commonwealth Bank account a few years ago when we were across on one of our holidays.  We gave them our UK address at that time.  We opened a savings account and a smart access account.  The smart access account fee is $4 per month, but if you pay a minimum $2000 per month into the account this fee is waived.  The smart access account doesn't pay any interest (no surprise there) and there is a small amount of interest paid in the savings account.  We have not incurred any fees for transferring money into the smart access account from the UK - we initially used UK Forex and now use Transferwise for money exchange and transfers. Whilst we were living in the UK we were taxed as non-residents.  I think the tax rate is 10%.  Once we migrated here and gave the bank our Australian address the tax on our interest became nil.  At the same time as giving the bank our Australian address we gave them our Tax File Number (TFN) so this may have contributed towards the tax being nil.  We are happy with the Commonwealth Bank and have no plans to change banks in the near future.

I hope this helps.

David

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, David Leask said:

We opened a Commonwealth Bank account a few years ago when we were across on one of our holidays.  We gave them our UK address at that time.  We opened a savings account and a smart access account.  The smart access account fee is $4 per month, but if you pay a minimum $2000 per month into the account this fee is waived.  The smart access account doesn't pay any interest (no surprise there) and there is a small amount of interest paid in the savings account.  We have not incurred any fees for transferring money into the smart access account from the UK - we initially used UK Forex and now use Transferwise for money exchange and transfers. Whilst we were living in the UK we were taxed as non-residents.  I think the tax rate is 10%.  Once we migrated here and gave the bank our Australian address the tax on our interest became nil.  At the same time as giving the bank our Australian address we gave them our Tax File Number (TFN) so this may have contributed towards the tax being nil.  We are happy with the Commonwealth Bank and have no plans to change banks in the near future.

I hope this helps.

David

Thanks David that’s really helpful..we have used the Commonwealth bank while on holiday and find them very good so might decide on them as we can pop in and talk rather than online, which sometimes you need!  😎😎

6 minutes ago, Rosiejaq said:

Thanks David that’s really helpful..we have used the Commonwealth bank while on holiday and find them very good so might decide on them as we can pop in and talk rather than online, which sometimes you need!  😎😎

I think Commbank has a monthly fee, but can be waived with monthly deposit. If that's a concern, you can use NAB instead.

Regarding saving account interest rate, UBank USaver + Ultra is the best at the moment - 2.41% with minimum $200 monthly deposit from external bank (UBank is owned by NAB, online only).

Regardless of who you bank with, you can use any ATM from the big 4 without any fee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Peter2 said:

I think Commbank has a monthly fee, but can be waived with monthly deposit. If that's a concern, you can use NAB instead.

Regarding saving account interest rate, UBank USaver + Ultra is the best at the moment - 2.41% with minimum $200 monthly deposit from external bank (UBank is owned by NAB, online only).

Regardless of who you bank with, you can use any ATM from the big 4 without any fee.

Thanks  Peter2. There’s a lot to consider especially as my uk bank account I opened when I was 18....quite a few decades ago now 😎

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rosiejaq said:

If you're retired, then ask the Commonwealth Bank about a Pensioner Security Account which has no fees.  Even if you aren't retired, it's worth challenging them about fees and you may find they'll waive them.  It makes no sense at all to pay a monthly fee to hold a bank account when there are so many options to get one for free!    The "big four" banks get away with charging fees because so many Australians grew up with them and can't be bothered changing banks.  

I recommend ING.  My husband banks with them and has found them great. You can use their debit card at any ATM for no fee.  If you don't like the idea of a bank that's fully online, then wait until you arrive in Australia and see what's available in your state.  There are several smaller banks and credit unions across Australia which have real branches as well as good online services AND no fees.   

Obviously you'll keep your UK bank account open and use your UK cards for the first few weeks till you get settled.  If you have savings to transfer, then you can open an account with Moneycorp and transfer them into that account, then the money will sit there safely until you can give them an Australian bank account number to transfer it to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi I note that now I need to send papers for identity within 70 days for the 143 visa I need a HAP ID and a Health Examination Letter,  does anyone know how I get these? Neither were provided with the email as far as I can see, perhaps I'm being a bit dense. Also where and how do you enquire about such things officially?  I'm finding the process a bit opaque.Thank you.

Has everyone had their passport expired and renewed while waiting for 143? Which options will be better? Renew and update before visa granted or wait until visa granted and then update. My parent's passport will not expire until Oct 2019 and I applied 143 on April 2016. We are hoping that we can get visa before April but nothing is certain at the moment and looks like the wait time will be longer. 

Has everyone had their passport expired and renewed while waiting for 143? Which options will be better? Renew and update before visa granted or wait until visa granted and then update. My parent's passport will not expire until Oct 2019 and I applied 143 on April 2016. We are hoping that we can get visa before April but nothing is certain at the moment and looks like the wait time will be longer. 

I did this last year, your new passport details are easily updated using form 929. All the info is on there.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Catherine4444 said:

Hi I note that now I need to send papers for identity within 70 days for the 143 visa I need a HAP ID and a Health Examination Letter,  does anyone know how I get these? Neither were provided with the email as far as I can see, perhaps I'm being a bit dense. Also where and how do you enquire about such things officially?  I'm finding the process a bit opaque.Thank you.

Hi Catherine you should of got 2 emails one was for the AOS and the other one contains pdf attachments at the very bottom of the email for you to download... these are where you will find all the info you need. Did the emails go directly to your son or to you? Good luck. Shelagh

• Like 1

Woo hoo, I’ve also just been contacted to submit the other info.  At long last!! 70 days to submit, though assurer only has 28 days so I’ve forwarded that straight to my son so he can get on with it.  

Signature amended accordingly so everyone can see my time line. 

• Like 3
  • Congratulations 6

4 minutes ago, AMP said:

Woo hoo, I’ve also just been contacted to submit the other info.  At long last!! 70 days to submit, though assurer only has 28 days so I’ve forwarded that straight to my son so he can get on with it.  

Wow-  congratulations - I’m so pleased for you. 🍾

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AMP said:

Now the fun starts, unless you were one of the sensible ones that completed their form 80 while waiting. So pleased for you.🍾

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AMP said:

Woohoo indeed Angela. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly for you x

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hannah P said:

You have to have 6months left on passport so I would renew it now. Only takes a couple of weeks you can do online quickly 

• Like 1

On 27/05/2019 at 09:46, Mani Baxi said:

we have received the AOS and was recently asked to send through marriage certificate for my parents which we had send last week, just waiting  on the letter to pay 2nd VAC now. 

Hi,just wondering how you long it takes you to receive the AoS?thanks

Hi Everyone, Can anyone please tell us how to make AOS application?  Is there any form to fill up? where to send AOS application (mail Id)? 

Also, I had done medical check in April 2019 for SC 600 visa. Is this Medical test valid for One year till April 2020 for CPV 143 Medical Check ?  or we need to go for CPV 143 Medical Check again even within a year?

10 minutes ago, Greece said:

Hi Everyone, Can anyone please tell us how to make AOS application?  Is there any form to fill up? where to send AOS application (mail Id)? 

Also, I had done medical check in April 2019 for SC 600 visa. Is this Medical test valid for One year till April 2020 for CPV 143 Medical Check ?  or we need to go for CPV 143 Medical Check again even within a year?

i did Aos through mygov-centrelink online,and my parents medical check for 600 is able to be reuse for the 143 

12 minutes ago, ielectric said:

i did Aos through mygov-centrelink online,and my parents medical check for 600 is able to be reuse for the 143 

Thank you @ ielectric, One more Q. Can we apply for AOS in advance of CO email to submit docs? Also, SC 600 medical is valid for One year ?

Police clearance certificate questions: 

Is this required for the last 5 or 10 years?

If my parents have been in and out of Australia over the last 3 years on a visitors visa (subclass 600), do they need Australian PCC?  Or would they only need Aus PCC if they were here for 12 consecutive months in any 1 visit?  

1 hour ago, Greece said:

Hi,

I'm going to do AoS and found these websites useful. I wish I had read earlier to save time.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/assurance-support

http://bigdream.com.au/en/aos/article/how-to-complete-an-aos

• Like 2