Guest guest36187

12 hours ago, jkm10 said:

Hi, my parents are thinking about applying for the aged parent visa subclass 804. We’ve done a lot of research and know if they came out on a tourist visa and applied then a bridging visa would be granted. 

Since this visa has long waits of up to 30 years, we want to know if it’s possible for my parents to travel abroad for a holiday while they’re on the bridging visa? 

Also, are they allowed to buy/rent property whilst on a bridging visa?

thank you and happy new year 🙂 

Hi jkm10, and a Happy NY!

I'd try not to be too public about an expressed intention to head to Australia to apply for an onshore permanent residency visa - visitor visas should be used for the purpose of a holiday, visiting friends/family, etc.

That said, the Bridging Visa that is granted when you lodge an onshore visa is a BVA.   BVAs don't have a travel facility attaching - so if the holder of a BV that is "in effect" wants to travel s/he must obtain a BVB.

A BV comes into effect the day after the period of stay permitted by the last substantive visa used to enter Australia has expired - the permitted period of stay is usually 3 months with most visitor visa holders (subclass 651) who are ex-UK.

Property in Australia can be acquired as the holder of a BV, but watch for the FIRB clearance/fee, and a higher level of Stamp Duty.

http://firb.gov.au/resources/guidance/gn02/

Feel able to send a Private Message to me if you'd also like to have a freebie chat about strategy and process on the phone.

Best regards.

14 hours ago, jkm10 said:

Hi, my parents are thinking about applying for the aged parent visa subclass 804. We’ve done a lot of research and know if they came out on a tourist visa and applied then a bridging visa would be granted. 

Since this visa has long waits of up to 30 years, we want to know if it’s possible for my parents to travel abroad for a holiday while they’re on the bridging visa? 

Also, are they allowed to buy/rent property whilst on a bridging visa?

Once upon a time, you'd have been told to not even consider this approach because there are so many downsides to life on a bridging visa in Australia. However, I'm seeing even reputable agents recommending it now, since it's so difficult for parents to get in otherwise. You just need to know the pitfalls and a good agent should go over them thoroughly.  It's not a cheap option. Here are some of the facts that I'm aware of, there may be others:

On a bridging visa, your parents will be classed as "non-residents' - even if they buy a residence! As such, they are not entitled to any of the benefits accorded to residents of Australia.

Luckily, assuming your parents are coming straight from the UK, they'll be covered for most medical treatment by Medicare, under the reciprocal agreement.  However if they want private insurance (to beat the waiting lists etc), then they'll need to buy "overseas visitor" insurance which is very expensive.  Also, they won't be eligible for any government support - which you may think, on the surface, they won't need, but what about when they get old?  Home help,, aged care?  

The problem is that if they do find they can't survive without support in old age, they can't go back to the UK either, because they'll have lost their residency status in the UK too. Being citizens and having lived there all their life is irrelevant - they'll have to re-establish residency before they can access the NHS or any other support services. 

Finally, their British pension will be frozen at the rate it is when they leave the UK and they'll never get any increases (except briefly if they go on holiday to the UK).  And they won't be eligible for any pension from Australia to make up for it. 

Edited by Marisawright

19 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Hi jkm10, and a Happy NY!

I'd try not to be too public about an expressed intention to head to Australia to apply for an onshore permanent residency visa - visitor visas should be used for the purpose of a holiday, visiting friends/family, etc.

That said, the Bridging Visa that is granted when you lodge an onshore visa is a BVA.   BVAs don't have a travel facility attaching - so if the holder of a BV that is "in effect" wants to travel s/he must obtain a BVB.

A BV comes into effect the day after the period of stay permitted by the last substantive visa used to enter Australia has expired - the permitted period of stay is usually 3 months with most visitor visa holders (subclass 651) who are ex-UK.

Property in Australia can be acquired as the holder of a BV, but watch for the FIRB clearance/fee, and a higher level of Stamp Duty.

http://firb.gov.au/resources/guidance/gn02/

Feel able to send a Private Message to me if you'd also like to have a freebie chat about strategy and process on the phone.

Best regards.

Thanks for the advice Alan! 

17 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Once upon a time, you'd have been told to not even consider this approach because there are so many downsides to life on a bridging visa in Australia. However, I'm seeing even reputable agents recommending it now, since it's so difficult for parents to get in otherwise. You just need to know the pitfalls and a good agent should go over them thoroughly.  It's not a cheap option. Here are some of the facts that I'm aware of, there may be others:

On a bridging visa, your parents will be classed as "non-residents' - even if they buy a residence! As such, they are not entitled to any of the benefits accorded to residents of Australia.

Luckily, assuming your parents are coming straight from the UK, they'll be covered for most medical treatment by Medicare, under the reciprocal agreement.  However if they want private insurance (to beat the waiting lists etc), then they'll need to buy "overseas visitor" insurance which is very expensive.  Also, they won't be eligible for any government support - which you may think, on the surface, they won't need, but what about when they get old?  Home help,, aged care?  

The problem is that if they do find they can't survive without support in old age, they can't go back to the UK either, because they'll have lost their residency status in the UK too. Being citizens and having lived there all their life is irrelevant - they'll have to re-establish residency before they can access the NHS or any other support services. 

Finally, their British pension will be frozen at the rate it is when they leave the UK and they'll never get any increases (except briefly if they go on holiday to the UK).  And they won't be eligible for any pension from Australia to make up for it. 

Thanks for the advice!

27 minutes ago, Thongoc said:

Hi,

I'm currently applying for my parents and younger brother 22years old to come here under visa 143. Is there anyone know roughly how much income requirement need to be proofed  by assurer? Thank you

http://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/9/4/3/30

See this web page.

Check also the requirements for dependent children.

Best regards.

5 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

http://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/9/4/3/30

See this web page.

Check also the requirements for dependent children.

Best regards.

Thanks for the advice

It doesn't say clearly how much per person though. It seem like minimum income is $40000 but I sponsor 3 adults so would I need $120000?? Sorry I'm confused... 

Just now, Thongoc said:

Thanks for the advice

It doesn't say clearly how much per person though. It seem like minimum income is $40000 but I sponsor 3 adults so would I need $120000?? Sorry I'm confused... 

I will allow others to comment.

If you need formal assistance - ie are happy to pay a fee - please feel able to contact me directly.

Best regards.

50 minutes ago, Thongoc said:

Thanks for the advice

There is a formula on this page

https://cruxmigration.com.au/2018/04/23/how-to-calculate-the-new-income-requirement-for-the-assurers/

However, I'm wondering how you are going to get your 22 year old sibling included in the application, because I can't see how your younger brother will still be dependent when the visa comes through.

Edited by Marisawright

14 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

https://cruxmigration.com.au/2018/04/23/how-to-calculate-the-new-income-requirement-for-the-assurers/

However, I'm wondering how you are going to get your 22 year old sibling included in the application, because I can't see how your younger brother will still be dependent when the visa comes through.

I think that formula may reference the increased AoS income requirement that was thrown out in the Senate during May 2018.

Best regards.

36 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Hi, thanks for the info. I will work it out.

I already applied for my parents and my brother 3 years ago. I hope they count from the day I apply which is my brother is just 18 years old. Am I too optimistic?! 

10 hours ago, Thongoc said:

I already applied for my parents and my brother 3 years ago. I hope they count from the day I apply which is my brother is just 18 years old. Am I too optimistic?! 

I would have thought they take it from when they start processing the AoS , but not sure 

12 hours ago, Thongoc said:

You are being very optimistic. What is your brother currently doing in life? They don’t count from date of application. When you are allocated a case officer they will request evidence of dependency then 

Edited by Tulip1

9 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

You are being very optimistic. What is your brother currently doing in life? They don’t count from date of application. When you are allocated a case officer they will request evidence of dependency then 

My brother finished his course a year ago. He currently just stay home help out here and there don't really do much still rely on my parents everything. Not sure what evidence of dependency immi need but I guess I have to what and see.

3 hours ago, Thongoc said:

My brother finished his course a year ago. He currently just stay home help out here and there don't really do much still rely on my parents everything. Not sure what evidence of dependency immi need but I guess I have to what and see.

Wish I'd had the option of doing sod all at the age of 22. How do kids get away with it these days?

• Like 1

Not all of them do ! In UK they are either working, on benefits or studying on student loan all of which  count as income and therefore are classed as non dependants. There have been a few older posts on here where older “children” in Uk have not been accepted s dependants. I guess it’s a strategy to get adult children into Australia? Just a shame it means the loss of a parent place as it is taken from 143 “ceiling” places  available. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Sadge said:

That's the UK - not sure Australia is quite so open-handed either with visa places or benefits.

That's the UK - not sure Australia is quite so open-handed either with visa places or benefits.

SADGE took 54 months in total, thats a long time we are on 42 months 

On 22/12/2018 at 15:08, Karen j said:

Amsaini, your sponsor has to apply for the assurance of support with proof of earnings for the last two years and ongoing income ie payslips.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sadge said:

I'm not sure IMMI will count "just stay home help out here and there" as being a genuine dependent!  Surely, to be a dependent at that age means they have some disability that means they cannot support themselves?

On 12/12/2018 at 12:08, Bev50Bradley said:

Nothing yet! 😥

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on this forum, but I am expecting to become a regular member here, exchanging information and complaining about the slow process, now that I have posted the 143 application last month.

I have noted some have received their acknowledgement letter within 2 days (e.g. Bev50Bradley), while others have had to wait 7 to 8 months to receive the acknowledgement letter (e.g. Sadge).

Can I ask how long is it taking these days for the acknowledgement to come through? What should be the expectation?

Thank you.

8 minutes ago, apparition said:

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on this forum, but I am expecting to become a regular member here, exchanging information and complaining about the slow process, now that I have posted the 143 application last month.

I have noted some have received their acknowledgement letter within 2 days (e.g. Bev50Bradley), while others have had to wait 7 to 8 months to receive the acknowledgement letter (e.g. Sadge).

Can I ask how long is it taking these days for the acknowledgement to come through? What should be the expectation?

Thank you.

We lodged our onshore 143 application  late November 2018 and had it acknowledged 2 weeks later. Hope that helps.