Guest guest36187

On 23/03/2018 at 21:09, HarrisL16 said:

So pleased had email from DIBP requesting 2nd vac payment? 2 days ago 21/3. As we are onshore we had to show plans to leave the country so have booked a trip to Bali on the 13/4 for a week, sent flight details to DIBP today . So not long now. ?

Good luck to everyone else in the waiting room ? Lorraine

@HarrisL16 ~ congratz!!!! You are the luckiest one even their processing date was only 20th April and your lodgement date was 28th April 2015 but you already got the request for 2nd VAC. I don't really know what to expect from the DIBP now. It's obviously not in chronological order. 

Edited by TinaH
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, TinaH said:

@HarrisL16 ~ congratz!!!! You are the luckiest one even their processing date was only 20th April and your lodgement date was 28th April 2015 but you already got the request for 2nd VAC. I don't really know what to expect from the DIBP now. It's obviously not in chronological order. 

Congrats on the progress! Please let me know how when visa issued as Elnak said 5 days for him ! hope that's the going rate. Good luck with everything

• Like 2

On 23/03/2018 at 14:44, LindaH27 said:

This isn’t really a new idea. Boris Johnson mooted it a few years ago as believe it or not Australians were having problems getting UK visas!! Both governments were in favour but at the time we were deeply entrenched in EU which did not permit  further free movement. 

It’s entirely feasible that rapid UK/Australia visas could go ahead.  Australia currently does offer preferential visas -   Chinese can get a 600 subclass frequent traveller visa. It’s only valid for 3 months visit  at a time BUT the visa itself  is valid for 10 years at a cost of $1050. 

Peter Dutton  is currently talking about fast tracking of visas on humanitarian grounds for South African farmers too. 

I suppose UK is one of the founders of “modern “ Australia - obviously a long long time after the First People - so hopefully the cementing of further links will happen. 

Given that although we will be able to make new deals, we can’t start them till after the transitional  period ending December 2020, so I expect many of us here will have already got their visas by then. 

I for one will however be slightly peeved after paying all that money if it ends up bring cheaper and easier to get to Oz in the future !!

On another topic I wonder sometimes if visa granting sometimes seems out of sync because although lodged within the same period some visas take a lot longer to process especially if the application is from a country which Australia deems  “high risk”? This could hold things up for others in the queue if they are  all supposed to be processed at the same time? I still think DIBP waits till 36 months before granting most cases so far!!

Australia is actually very aware of the problems with the visa delays. It’s also losing money not getting the visa charges !! This is why they are going to subcontract out most of the processing to private contractors and are presently awaiting bids. Peter Dutton says he currently doesn’t have the staff now and won’t  have the staff in future !

just my tuppence worth! ?

You make good points and well worth tuppence.

I feel this is something we personally need to keep an eye on, given we are on a 173 visa. Should a UK/AUS positive trade deal come into affect in Jan 2021, we may still be in the CPV process. Saving the cost of our second VAC would be a real bonus.

I know how important it is to treat all applicants equally, regardless of nationality. But it can feel a little unfair when the gov.au report says each parent visa will cost the Aussie taxpayer over $300k, when this is probably not the case.

It make sense to have reciprocal visa arrangements when two countries have almost identical cultural values, social welfare systems, standards of living, individual freedoms and human rights (ok maybe slightly differing values when it comes to cricket).

UK citizens will always have an option to return to the UK and freely receive money, somewhere to live and medical treatment. So perhaps by default we already meet all the requirements of the AOS and should never become a burden to Australia.

I guess you would see citizens moving in both directions, so it should all work out with nil net cost to each country.  A win win situation and a great opportunity to live and work in each other’s country, long or sort term.

No reason to cancel the CPV application yet, but who knows what may happen in the future and it would be nice to see something positive come from Brexit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

You make good points and well worth tuppence.

I feel this is something we personally need to keep an eye on, given we are on a 173 visa. Should a UK/AUS positive trade deal come into affect in Jan 2021, we may still be in the CPV process. Saving the cost of our second VAC would be a real bonus.

I know how important it is to treat all applicants equally, regardless of nationality. But it can feel a little unfair when the gov.au report says each parent visa will cost the Aussie taxpayer over $300k, when this is probably not the case.

It make sense to have reciprocal visa arrangements when two countries have almost identical cultural values, social welfare systems, standards of living, individual freedoms and human rights (ok maybe slightly differing values when it comes to cricket).

UK citizens will always have an option to return to the UK and freely receive money, somewhere to live and medical treatment. So perhaps by default we already meet all the requirements of the AOS and should never become a burden to Australia.

I guess you would see citizens moving in both directions, so it should all work out with nil net cost to each country.  A win win situation and a great opportunity to live and work in each other’s country, long or sort term.

No reason to cancel the CPV application yet, but who knows what may happen in the future and it would be nice to see something positive come from Brexit.

I admire your optimism, but with the very real prospect of a more protectionist ALP Government in the next 18 months I would not be holding out too much hope for meaningful concessions in the visa area - and particularly not parent visas.

Best regards.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

UK citizens will always have an option to return to the UK and freely receive money, somewhere to live and medical treatment.

I think that's a big assumption.  For instance, it was recently announced that UK citizens living in Europe won't be able to hop back to the UK to receive medical treatment, as they do now. 

If a UK citizen has been living abroad and is no longer resident in the UK, they already have to serve a waiting period to establish residency, before they can receive benefits in the UK.  It's not clear whether they'll have to establish residency to get medical care under this new rule - I'm assuming not, but that might be the next step.

Besides, that's not the point.  The Australian government can't insist that a UK citizen goes back to the UK if they start to need  high-cost medical treatment or other support, can they?   

An older person moving to Australia can't possibly contribute enough in tax to make up for the likely costs of medical treatment and aged care in their old age. If there were equal numbers of older people flowing in both directions,  governments would probably say, fair's fair - but the flow is generally out of the UK into Australia, so the Australian taxpayer is picking up the tab.  That's why parent visas are so expensive, to recoup that cost.  

Edited by Marisawright

32 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I think that's a big assumption.  For instance, it was recently announced that UK citizens living in Europe won't be able to hop back to the UK to receive medical treatment, as they do now. 

If a UK citizen has been living abroad and is no longer resident in the UK, they already have to serve a waiting period to establish residency, before they can receive benefits in the UK.  It's not clear whether they'll have to establish residency to get medical care under this new rule - I'm assuming not, but that might be the next step.

Besides, that's not the point.  The Australian government can't insist that a UK citizen goes back to the UK if they start to need government assistance or high-cost medical treatment, can they?   

An older person moving to Australia can't possibly contribute enough in tax to make up for the likely costs of medical treatment and aged care in their old age. If there were equal numbers of older people flowing in both directions,  governments would probably say, fair's fair - but the flow is generally out of the UK into Australia, so the Australian taxpayer is picking up the tab.  That's why parent visas are so expensive, to recoup that cost.  

I might be wrong but I'm not sure you are entitled to much more than Medicare for the first 10 years in Australia on a parent visa? I'm sure some one will know, but that is why another $14,000 has to be deposited with centre link to in case of claims?

Obviously using Medicare by older people can end probably end up costing the country but a lot of us will have private health cover and pay a fair amount of tax. I have no problem with the amount our visa will cost, as I think it's only fair.

Also point out that many parents come from other countries not just the UK.

24 minutes ago, ramot said:

I might be wrong but I'm not sure you are entitled to much more than Medicare for the first 10 years in Australia on a parent visa? I'm sure some one will know, but that is why another $14,000 has to be deposited with centre link to in case of claims?

Obviously using Medicare by older people can end probably end up costing the country but a lot of us will have private health cover and pay a fair amount of tax. I have no problem with the amount our visa will cost, as I think it's only fair.

Also point out that many parents come from other countries not just the UK.

I don't think I suggested parents were entitled to benefits immediately.  

I was replying to someone who was saying that the cost of the visa was unfair.  They were also suggesting that Australia might address that unfairness and make it easier for UK parents to move to Australia, given the close relationship between the two countries.  

Edited by Marisawright

On 3/23/2018 at 21:09, HarrisL16 said:

So pleased had email from DIBP requesting 2nd vac payment? 2 days ago 21/3. As we are onshore we had to show plans to leave the country so have booked a trip to Bali on the 13/4 for a week, sent flight details to DIBP today . So not long now. ?

Good luck to everyone else in the waiting room ? Lorraine

@HarrisL16 ~ when you sent AOS approval to DIBP on 6/3/18, which email address that you used? Have you got any acknowledgement from them after you sent? 

On 24/03/2018 at 04:43, MikenC said:

The frustrating thing about all this is they don’t give a phone number to call them back so he has to wait again for a call. 

I read on here a while back that they didn’t bother ringing again they just sent acceptance letter through! Tell him to keep checking  immi acct/emails etc. 

Edited by Kathss56
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

I read on here a while back that they didn’t bother ringing again they just sent acceptance letter through! Tell him to keep checking  immi acct/emails etc. 

I’ve got AOS acceptance letter in MyGov account after the phone interview and bond payment. Centerlink didnt post it out. So please make sure you ask your son to check his MyGov account regularly. 

Edited by TinaH

46 minutes ago, TinaH said:

I’ve got AOS acceptance letter in MyGov account after the phone interview and bond payment. Centerlink didnt post it out. So please make sure you ask your son to check his MyGov account regularly. 

@TinaH for you it’s just matter of a week I am damn sure I cross your signature before 36 months u will be granted Permanent residency. ?. I don’t know what’s wrong with my AoS. @MikenC applied  AoS after me but Here No Ring No Call No show ?

• Haha 1

On 3/23/2018 at 21:47, MikenC said:

I just had a frustrating call from my son,assurer, he missed the call from Centrelink today. So we're still waiting I'm afraid

@MikenC I also missed the call from Centrelink. They didn't actually call me back at all, they just sent out an acceptance letter!! Fingers crossed it's the same for you.

• Like 2

On 24 March 2018 at 17:25, TinaH said:

Hi everyone,

I just want to ask when you submitted extra docs such as Police Cert, Form 80 and AOS acceptance letter to DIBP, did you receive any confirmation your documents were received? 

How do we know if immi actually received them?

Thank you.

Hi Tina yes we received an email from the pvc team , good luck and hope you hear soon 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nicole Eire said:

@MikenC I also missed the call from Centrelink. They didn't actually call me back at all, they just sent out an acceptance letter!! Fingers crossed it's the same for you.

Thanks for that comment. As yet there's nothing in his mygov account, He has given me access to it and be both check it daily.

so still waiting ?

12 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Besides, that's not the point.  The Australian government can't insist that a UK citizen goes back to the UK if they start to need  high-cost medical treatment or other support, can they?   

Yes you are right, there will probably be a lot more people moving down-under than coming the other way. 

I don't wish to be a burden on the Australian taxpayer so don't mind paying the contribution for our visas. I would just be a little upset if we found out the following week that a new UK/AUS trade deal included free movement of people.

I also don't like the way an "older" persons value is just measured in $ and seen only as a drain on resources. Maybe better to shoot everyone over 65 and save even more cash.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Zaki said:

@TinaH for you it’s just matter of a week I am damn sure I cross your signature before 36 months u will be granted Permanent residency. ?. I don’t know what’s wrong with my AoS. @MikenC applied  AoS after me but Here No Ring No Call No show ?

@Zaki ~ lolz the visa is for my parents not me. What make you so sure that I’ll be contacted in a week time? If it is as what you said, I assume I couldn’t sleep for a week becoz of happiness. 

You can see there are a lot of people lodged in March submitted all requested docs and now they are still waiting for their turn to be assessed. So it’s very hard to predict when your turn will be.

Now all we can do is sitting still and enjoy the ride. We all know that we’ll reach the destination, it’s just a matter of time - 1 year, 2 years, 3 years or even 4 years.

This weekend is Easter holiday then daylight saving. We all can have a break and not thinking about visa for these 4 days. Phew!!! 

1 minute ago, TinaH said:

@Zaki ~ lolz the visa is for my parents not me. What make you so sure that I’ll be contacted in a week time? If it is as what you said, I assume I couldn’t sleep for a week becoz of happiness. 

You can see there are a lot of people lodged in March submitted all requested docs and now they are still waiting for their turn to be assessed. So it’s very hard to predict when your turn will be.

Now all we can do is sitting still and enjoy the ride. We all know that we’ll reach the destination, it’s just a matter of time - 1 year, 2 years, 3 years or even 4 years.

This weekend is Easter holiday then daylight saving. We all can have a break and not thinking about visa for these 4 days. Phew!!! 

Miracles happen everyday ?. There are ppl who are not in the assesing queue got 2nd VAC Request. So Have faith 

DIBP is unpredictable. Auto generated requests have stopped notifying ppl. Before end of this migration year they would sink in mid '15 applications I guess ?

9 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

I also don't like the way an "older" persons value is just measured in $ and seen only as a drain on resources. Maybe better to shoot everyone over 65 and save even more cash.

Well, that would include me, too!   I don't see why anyone should get offended about something that's a straight statement of fact.  We work all our lives and pay taxes to support the welfare system, then when we get old, we draw out of that system - because we've earned the right to do so.   That's how it works in both Australia and the UK.

That's fine when you're staying in the same system throughout, because that's how it's supposed to work.  What we're talking about here is when you leave the system, and move to someone else's system which you've never contributed to. 

Like you say, that's why you have to pay the contribution. And that's why I was saying, I can't imagine the Australian government reducing it.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

I was once told  (rightly  or wrongly) that the 143 visa charges were worked out as being comparable to what someone would pay over a 40 year working life towards Medicare But perhaps I was given the wrong information?

Apparently Australian  taxpayers pay 2% of their income towards Medicare. The average salary in 2016-2017 was $80000 so they paid $1600 annually towards Medicare. Over 40 years working that's  $64000 but  it won't be that much as obviously average salaries were much lower in earlier years. An accountant could probably give a definitive answer here! Given that the final cost of a 143 visa is about $48000 plus many people also give their sponsors $10000 for the AOS  making a total of $58000 surely then contributory parent visa applicants will have paid almost the same towards our future care ? 

There will also be other immigrants other than on parent visas who haven't paid in much towards Medicare. Maybe they came on a working visa but didn't complete 40 years, maybe they were married to Australian citizens and were stay at home mums, there will be people who for whatever reason don't/can't work, there are people on low incomes who pay a reduced rate of Medicare, there will be parents who come over on the cheaper 103  visa but they will all expect future funding. Also too even in retirement if you have enough income you will pay Australian tax and the Medicare levy as well. Given that some parents have to pay so much for the visa but will perhaps live with their children, many will have funds  from the sale of their UK homes to pay for private health care as many Australians already do as Medicare doesn't fund the whole of any bill  and by helping out with child care they free the parents to go back to work and so indirectly contribute somewhat to the economy. This has been acknowledged by the government when they tried to introduce the 5 and 10 year visas - which haven't yet been authorised. 

Some people will need more spending on them than others, there are so many variables but I don't think anyone will have paid enough to fully cover any long term care they may need unless they had fantastic salaries.  

This is a world wide problem - funding for old age  as people are living longer. There now seems to be a real possibility that in UK there will be a specific tax to go towards NHS funding.

Whilst fully understanding and respecting that people have differing views on things the important thing on this forum is that we all offer help and support to each  other. I for one have learnt so much and found answers to questions I didn't even know I had!  The wait seems endless sometimes but each success cheers us on! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Yes you are right, there will probably be a lot more people moving down-under than coming the other way. 

I don't wish to be a burden on the Australian taxpayer so don't mind paying the contribution for our visas. I would just be a little upset if we found out the following week that a new UK/AUS trade deal included free movement of people.

"I would just be a little upset if we found out the following week that a new UK/AUS trade deal included free movement of people."  -> personally I don't think this is going to happen, so don't be upset. Even if it will happen, those applicants need to wait at least 3 years or so. The sooner the parents can get visa the better. No complains for us. 

• Like 1