Guest guest36187

On 6 December 2017 at 11:30, LindaH27 said:

Catlady Please could you pm me the company name too? I’ve just transferred some  via my bank and got a really shoddy deal ?

Don't use banks, they give rotten exchange rates and charge transfer fees.  Your own links that you posted were pretty good.  I've found that the dealers give far better rates, but you need to be sure they are regulated/authorised so that your money is kept separate from theirs.  There is one on pomsinoz that I regularly use but I also use another who is not on here.  I'll pm you with my advice for what it's worth, but you need to research the best deals because everybody's situation is different.  What works nicely for me may not be so good for you, and vice versa.  

• Haha 1

I just did a comparison of Moneycorp versus Transferwise, using a figure of £20,000. Moneycorp came out a few dollars ahead, so there's not much in it really, but on larger amounts the difference would widen.  I've found very little difference generally between the dealers I've used and therefore I tend to just go with the one I have most confidence in. 

1 hour ago, Catlady2014 said:

I just did a comparison of Moneycorp versus Transferwise, using a figure of £20,000. Moneycorp came out a few dollars ahead, so there's not much in it really, but on larger amounts the difference would widen.  I've found very little difference generally between the dealers I've used and therefore I tend to just go with the one I have most confidence in. 

That's interesting Catlady, I was under the impression that Moneycorp was slightly less favorable when compared to Currencyfair and Transferwise. Do you have a breakdown rates and costs for your comparison? As you say there is probably little difference between each of them, but it would be good to know which gives the best deal.

We have just been sending the money over for our 2nd Vac payments, but there will come a time when we need to move the proceeds from our house sale. Then I suppose those little differences will all add up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SusieRoo said:

That's interesting Catlady, I was under the impression that Moneycorp was slightly less favorable when compared to Currencyfair and Transferwise. Do you have a breakdown rates and costs for your comparison? As you say there is probably little difference between each of them, but it would be good to know which gives the best deal.

We have just been sending the money over for our 2nd Vac payments, but there will come a time when we need to move the proceeds from our house sale. Then I suppose those little differences will all add up.

No charges with Moneycorp though.  As I've said before, you need to strike up a good relationship with your currency dealers and then get the very best rate you can from them.  

49 minutes ago, Catlady2014 said:

No charges with Moneycorp though.  As I've said before, you need to strike up a good relationship with your currency dealers and then get the very best rate you can from them.  

But what exchange rates did you get from the comparison today? Having no fees is great if you don't loose out on the rate. It would be really good to know how your comparison of £20k looks when it turns into Au$ or just the exchange rate you were offered from both companies.

14 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

I'm no expert, but I think you can open a free 'Borderless Account' with Transferwise and hold money in UK Pounds or AU$ (or other currency). You can then exchange money whenever you wish and you can also make electronic transfers in and out of these borderless accounts in the UK or Australia, just like any normal bank account.

You do get 24h to make payment after you have setup a transfer (with the rate fixed) but if you repeatedly don't make the payment you loose this option.

I think it's always best to try a few small payments to see how everything works in the first instance.

For anyone without an Australian bank account, we opened one with Westpac by just walking into their branch/office in London. It was all very easy and we now get 3.5% interest on savings.

Thanks SusieRoo, I will give this a go.

2 hours ago, suelear said:

GOOD NEWS::::::::::::::

DIBP correlate the processing date

PROCESSING CONTRIBUTORY PARENT VISAS

In the 2017-18 Migration Programme year, 7175 Contributory Parent visa places are available for applicants applying from in and outside Australia.  Due to high numbers of Contributory Parent visa applications lodged in May and June 2014, processing time for these is expected to exceed 30 months.

·         OFFSHORE APPLICANTS (subclass 143/173)

When your application is allocated to an assessing officer, you or your authorised contact may be asked to provide more documents, including but not limited to, Assurance of Support (subclass 143 only), police certificates and health clearances to finalise your application. 

We are currently assessing applications lodged up to and including 11 March 2015.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DALJEET said:

GOOD NEWS::::::::::::::

DIBP correlate the processing date

PROCESSING CONTRIBUTORY PARENT VISAS

In the 2017-18 Migration Programme year, 7175 Contributory Parent visa places are available for applicants applying from in and outside Australia.  Due to high numbers of Contributory Parent visa applications lodged in May and June 2014, processing time for these is expected to exceed 30 months.

·         OFFSHORE APPLICANTS (subclass 143/173)

When your application is allocated to an assessing officer, you or your authorised contact may be asked to provide more documents, including but not limited to, Assurance of Support (subclass 143 only), police certificates and health clearances to finalise your application. 

We are currently assessing applications lodged up to and including 11 March 2015.

That's better.  Just 1 day before us.  Maybe will hear something before Christmas!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Zaki said:

Hello everyone, 

I got docs request few hours back mah agent told me that case officer will be allocated and finalise your cpv in Early June 18 

Cpv lodgement date - 4th may 2015 

Great news to receive your request, but early June 18 seems like a long time until moving forward with a case officer. I guess this is immi's new way of working.

12 hours ago, Zaki said:

Hello everyone, 

I got docs request few hours back mah agent told me that case officer will be allocated and finalise your cpv in Early June 18 

Cpv lodgement date - 4th may 2015 

So pleased for you, but I do so wish we could hear something.  Hopefully not long now.

• Like 4

Great news to receive your request, but early June 18 seems like a long time until moving forward with a case officer. I guess this is immi's new way of working.

SURELY THEY MUST BE ADDING 9-12 WEEKS FOR CENTRELINKS... THAT EXTRA TIME IS MAKING THE PROCESS EVEN LONGER....ANYWAYS.. GOOD LUCK..

On 12/11/2017 at 11:30, Pertenhall said:

That's better.  Just 1 day before us.  Maybe will hear something before Christmas!

On 11 December 2017 at 13:07, suelear said:

Has anyone else had a problem setting up a new payee on their UK bank account? My UK bank has my Oz phone number but when I tried to set up a new (transferwise) payee the phone call to verify it didn't come through. I then spent half an hour on the phone last night trying to sort it out - with no luck ... soon frustrated. I tried to pay with my debit card but that wouldn't go through either!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

Has anyone else had a problem setting up a new payee on their UK bank account? My UK bank has my Oz phone number but when I tried to set up a new (transferwise) payee the phone call to verify it didn't come through. I then spent half an hour on the phone last night trying to sort it out - with no luck ... soon frustrated. I tried to pay with my debit card but that wouldn't go through either!

I

I haven't encountered any problems so far.What a pain for you.

I had something similar when my bank blocked access to my account for 72 hours because they saw my transfer attempt as "suspicious" activity - no phone call to me, nothing, just a complete block on my account - despite having my Aus phone number and being aware that I was here, and it wasn't even a new payee, just a transfer.  After numerous phone calls from me to them and going through dozens of security hoops, they finally unblocked it.  I found out later that their only attempt to verify the activity consisted of a letter sent to my UK address!  I don't know how anyone can prevent something like this happening to them, because I took all the proper precautions before leaving the UK, and I'm sure you would have done so too, Fisher1.

Edited by Catlady2014
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

Which bank is it?  I use RBS and they have a card reader that issues a code that you have to use with your debit or credit card to set up new payees.   My Aus bank sends codes via SMS to my  mobile. You shoukd be able to register for on line banking then set up your security system but if it requires a physical device you will have to wait for them to post it. You can forget about overseas phone calls ain't  gonna happen.

Hi guys, 

New to this forum but hoping to ask some information for my parents-in-law CPV.

My partner and I lodged CPV143 for them back in July 2015, father-in-law as main applicant and mother-in-law as secondary applicant.

Good news are the progress of CPV visa progress is getting closer to them. Unfornately my father-in-law is recently diagnosed with terminal illness that unlikely he will progress with the CPV visa after 2.5-year of waiting.

I just want to ask if anyone else has experience of withdrawing the main applicant from the CPV and making the secondary applicant to be the "new" main applicant. 

I have called the immigration hotline that it should not be an issue as long as we fill a form to withdraw "main applicant only" from the CPV, the remaining applicant will be processed normally. 

However, just want to ask if any other ppl have similar expertise of this. Any information would be appreciated.

Regards,

Kam