Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest guest36187

The Brand New PIO Parents Visa thread

Recommended Posts

Thanks for this link Linda 17th december means probably too that flights will be few  and far between for Christmas with the family, and any there are will be horrendously expensive no doubt.  I have resigned myself to the fact it may be next xmas bedore we can see the family again.


Visa 143 lodged 30 June 2017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Newlife said:

Thanks for this link Linda 17th december means probably too that flights will be few  and far between for Christmas with the family, and any there are will be horrendously expensive no doubt.  I have resigned myself to the fact it may be next xmas bedore we can see the family again.

Exactly my thought too !!  Very sad news. 

  • Sad 1

143 lodged 21 June 2017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fee We feel the same!  We went out to Adelaide for Christmas 2016 but now this will be our fourth Christmas in a row without seeing any of our family!  
Originally we thought we would definitely have our 143 visa by last Christmas (3 years+ of waiting) and by the time it became obvious that was not going to happen we thought it would probably have been granted by this Christmas, then Covid struck and here we are, stuck in an even more hopeless limbo! (4years of waiting!)  We can only hope that by Christmas 2021, after over 5 years of waiting, things will have changed!  It seems crazy now that when we first enquired about applying, in early 2015, an agent told us the 143’s were taking 12 to 18 months and looking at our personal timescale, it was too early to apply, so we put it all off until autumn 2016 as we had property & a business to sell etc!!  How wrong we were!!!!

  • Sad 3

Application 31st October 2016. First VAC confirmed Nov 2nd 2016. Parents Contributory visa 143

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Juniper said:

Fee We feel the same!  We went out to Adelaide for Christmas 2016 but now this will be our fourth Christmas in a row without seeing any of our family!  
Originally we thought we would definitely have our 143 visa by last Christmas (3 years+ of waiting) and by the time it became obvious that was not going to happen we thought it would probably have been granted by this Christmas, then Covid struck and here we are, stuck in an even more hopeless limbo! (4years of waiting!)  We can only hope that by Christmas 2021, after over 5 years of waiting, things will have changed!  It seems crazy now that when we first enquired about applying, in early 2015, an agent told us the 143’s were taking 12 to 18 months and looking at our personal timescale, it was too early to apply, so we put it all off until autumn 2016 as we had property & a business to sell etc!!  How wrong we were!!!!

Can totally relate to this. My daughter was expecting  her first child in October 2015 and I went over for a few months to be there and help out. During that time we thought of putting in for 143. However we were told that as she would be going on maternity leave for 12 months and therefore reduced money we should wait till she was back at work and more as you had to show 2 years worth of accounts for AOS  (I think ) And as the  wait time was 18-24 months  we were advised that it was too early to put the application in !! Consequently  it was June 2017 before we applied - so now I’ve been waiting  over 3 years and as the queue  ballooned out In May/June 2016 and again in May/June 2017 I think I’m looking at nearly another 3.5 - 4 years!! 

  • Sad 2

143 lodged 21 June 2017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

Can totally relate to this. My daughter was expecting  her first child in October 2015 and I went over for a few months to be there and help out. During that time we thought of putting in for 143. However we were told that as she would be going on maternity leave for 12 months and therefore reduced money we should wait till she was back at work and more as you had to show 2 years worth of accounts for AOS  (I think ) And as the  wait time was 18-24 months  we were advised that it was too early to put the application in !! Consequently  it was June 2017 before we applied - so now I’ve been waiting  over 3 years and as the queue  ballooned out In May/June 2016 and again in May/June 2017 I think I’m looking at nearly another 3.5 - 4 years!! 

How do you know 3.5 to 4 years?! I applied for my parent in November 2016.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because in the queue calculator which has  been unavailable since June, I put my lodgement date in and it said there were 22900 people in front of me! At only 6000 granted per year its simple maths to work out. 
 

May/June 2016 showed a huge jump in the queue,   the same happened in May/June 2017 - in those two months In 2017  alone 9000 people applied   It’s going to take at least 18 -24 months just to deal with that 9000 as they only grant 6000 per year. Same with the jump the year before. 

They are only just grantIng the visa to applicants in Jan/Feb 2016 so you still have a way to wait. I’ve also been told of a December 2015 applicant who has only just had his 143 granted. 


143 lodged 21 June 2017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Juniper said:

Fee We feel the same!  We went out to Adelaide for Christmas 2016 but now this will be our fourth Christmas in a row without seeing any of our family!  
Originally we thought we would definitely have our 143 visa by last Christmas (3 years+ of waiting) and by the time it became obvious that was not going to happen we thought it would probably have been granted by this Christmas, then Covid struck and here we are, stuck in an even more hopeless limbo! (4years of waiting!)  We can only hope that by Christmas 2021, after over 5 years of waiting, things will have changed!  It seems crazy now that when we first enquired about applying, in early 2015, an agent told us the 143’s were taking 12 to 18 months and looking at our personal timescale, it was too early to apply, so we put it all off until autumn 2016 as we had property & a business to sell etc!!  How wrong we were!!!!

We also made our initial enquiry in early 2015 but delayed our application till May 2016 on the understanding the process would take around 2 years.  I have been kicking myself on a daily basis ever since!  I think we probably all have that kind of helpless feeling just now - it's the not knowing when the crisis will end and when we will be able to see our families again that is so difficult.  It's brilliant to have WhatsApp video calls but the conversation you can have on the phone with a 2 year old is quite limited.  Just longing for a cuddle!

  • Sad 1

143 Lodged 9.5.16 and acknowledged 11.5.16, Further docs (not Form 80) requested 9.3.20, Medicals done 18.3.20, AFP checks, UK police checks, passports sent 25.3.20, AOS acceptance sent 7.5.20, Form 80 requested 20.5.20 and returned 28.5.20.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are the same ... we delayed applying as we didn’t want the hassle of trying to get police clearance certificates from the couple of years we lived in China.  If only we had known what we know now!

  • Sad 1

CPV 143 lodgement date 15/11/17

acknowledged & 1st VAC receipt  20/11/17

Heading for Tassie hopefully!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter received the AOS approval letter today .....so close to getting my visa🥳

  • Like 3
  • Congratulations 1

30th Oct 2015 173 lodged (off shore) ;   02nd Nov 2015 - Acknowledged;  6th Feb 2019 - Request for additional documents ; 2nd Mar 2019 Submitted to PVC Team 1; 24th July - Request to pay 2nd VAC ; 25th July 2019 - Visa granted - 12th Sept 2019 entered Australia

29th June 2020 143 lodged (on shore);   02nd July 2020 - Acknowledged ;  03rd August - Request for AOS and AFP clearance Certificate ;  10th August- AOS approval letter received

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Because in the queue calculator which has  been unavailable since June, I put my lodgement date in and it said there were 22900 people in front of me! At only 6000 granted per year its simple maths to work out. 
 

May/June 2016 showed a huge jump in the queue,   the same happened in May/June 2017 - in those two months In 2017  alone 9000 people applied   It’s going to take at least 18 -24 months just to deal with that 9000 as they only grant 6000 per year. Same with the jump the year before. 

They are only just grantIng the visa to applicants in Jan/Feb 2016 so you still have a way to wait. I’ve also been told of a December 2015 applicant who has only just had his 143 granted. 

I also looked at the calculator at the end of May this year and for us it said 10,450 Applications were in front of us, so that is at least the end of 2021 never mind the Covid complication!  I do so wish they would restore the Calculator, at least we would know (more or less!)  where we are!  We applied 31st October 2016


Application 31st October 2016. First VAC confirmed Nov 2nd 2016. Parents Contributory visa 143

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Marilyn said:

My daughter received the AOS approval letter today .....so close to getting my visa🥳

would you get your visa before your 173 two years ends?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Kalil said:
1 hour ago, Marilyn said:

My daughter received the AOS approval letter today .....so close to getting my visa🥳

would you get your visa before your 173 two years ends?

People have details underneath their post so as to keep people informed. If you look you will see that Marilyn got her 173 granted July 2019 so only a year ago 

  • Thanks 1

143 lodged 21 June 2017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I celebrate 1 amazing year in Australia, my new home. I arrived during the drought with heavy water restrictions, then we had the horrendous bush fires, then we had torrential rains and then Covid-19. Waiting 4 years and a lot of $$$$$ going through all that has been so worth it. I am so grateful to have been given this opportunity to get this visa which is not available for many others so all I can say is be a little bit more patient I promise you it will be so worth it. 

Edited by Marilyn
  • Like 9
  • Congratulations 2

30th Oct 2015 173 lodged (off shore) ;   02nd Nov 2015 - Acknowledged;  6th Feb 2019 - Request for additional documents ; 2nd Mar 2019 Submitted to PVC Team 1; 24th July - Request to pay 2nd VAC ; 25th July 2019 - Visa granted - 12th Sept 2019 entered Australia

29th June 2020 143 lodged (on shore);   02nd July 2020 - Acknowledged ;  03rd August - Request for AOS and AFP clearance Certificate ;  10th August- AOS approval letter received

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never contribute to this page but after reading Marilyn's message I just have to.  I've been living here in Australia for four years now and hated the whole visa process but having got through it, made the dreadful move, jumped all the hurdles and finally settled I wouldn't change a thing.

For all of you going through the process just stay focused because when you finally get your visa approved it really is worth all the misery and waiting, even when you have to help with the bloody 'home schooling' thing - thank you Covid-19!

Just hang in there everyone!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Congratulations 1

CPV143 lodged 27 August 2013 and acknowledged 27 November 2013

1st VAC paid 22 October 2013

Police checks 16 July 2014. Medical 29 August 2014. AOS 22 December 2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Marilyn said:

Today I celebrate 1 amazing year in Australia, my new home. I arrived during the drought with heavy water restrictions, then we had the horrendous bush fires, then we had torrential rains and then Covid-19. Waiting 4 years and a lot of $$$$$ going through all that has been so worth it. I am so grateful to have been given this opportunity to get this visa which is not available for many others so all I can say is be a little bit more patient I promise you it will be so worth it. 

I totally agree with @Marilyn and @Di dee  It is a very painful, at times soul destroying process. Ours lasted a long long time due to problems with Aos, but now we’re here it’s brilliant and we really don’t want to live anywhere else.  COVID has restricted us at the mo but we hope to gradually explore Australia for its natural beauty, history and people.  Looking forward to the day we become Australian!

  • Like 7

04.08.2015 143 lodged/06.08.2015 1st payment /12.02.2019 : request for docs, AoS and meds/07.03.2019 : meds done/15.03.2019 : apply police checks/ 18.03.2019 : AoS submitted (paper @ PM Centrelink )/19.03.2019 med queries- further tests  required/13.06.2019 : letter to panel doctors confirming no med probs exist /11.04.2019 : Form 80 & police checks submitted by agent/28.05.2019 : Aos rejected, reassessed & rejected again!/09.07.2019 : request for more info re form 80/Aos reassess/6.8.19:Swap out 1 person from Aos and sub new/9.10.19 Aos bond request/21.10.19 bond paid& Aos accepted/9.12.19 2nd VAC request/12.10.19 2nd VAC paid/ 13.12.2019 Visa granted

bound for mid north coast NSW !  😎 Sunnies now needed....& probably a mask (for bushfire smoke🥺)

flights booked for 31 December 2019....New Year in the air! 🎉🎉😎😎😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.105aa0b35c753d28d69501ef04ef3add.png

Hi all

No doubt, we all feel so frustrated with the slow pace in the processing for this visa. 

I saw the migration program outcome report available on DoHA website.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/research-and-stats/files/report-migration-program-2019-20.pdf

They only processed 4,400 places which were  60%  against 19/20 planning level of 7,371. If we blame COVID19, then  we can compare with Partner visa grants around 93.3% of  planning levels. Obviously, that means to me no commitment from the Department to clearing the massive  accumulated backlog which is now more than 100,000 applicants. Sadly,  parents are not considered as immediate family members in their eyes, so no priority !

No doubt they will use COVID19 & border restrictions as excuses to drag their feet again this new FY. as we can see no email response regarding whereabouts the  processing time is up to.

And also, the refusal rate has  tripled the figure of the previous two years. Not sure why they rejected so many this year, it could largely be based on medical grounds and AOS rejection as the  sponsor as not financially able to support their parents ???   I do feel really sorry for family waiting for 4+ years when still healthy and see their application refused as the processing time extends and then extends  . Based on the number of grants, we can then work out that they probably have processed 5,417 applicants in total, then granted 4,399 visas and rejected 1,018. Oh dear, that is a large number  of people, I am not trying to be a doomsayer as anyone all hopes they have a chance  to reunite with their  family but it is terribly hard to believe & accept. Not to mention  non-refundable millions visa fees. 

Not sure whether this has been posted here before, but  I saw this petition online. if anyone is interested, please sign it.

https://www.change.org/p/permanent-parent-visa-policies-in-australia-aren-t-fair

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Vincentphan said:

image.png.105aa0b35c753d28d69501ef04ef3add.png

Hi all

No doubt, we all feel so frustrated with the slow pace in the processing for this visa. 

I saw the migration program outcome report available on DoHA website.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/research-and-stats/files/report-migration-program-2019-20.pdf

They only processed 4,400 places which were  60%  against 19/20 planning level of 7,371. If we blame COVID19, then  we can compare with Partner visa grants around 93.3% of  planning levels. Obviously, that means to me no commitment from the Department to clearing the massive  accumulated backlog which is now more than 100,000 applicants. Sadly,  parents are not considered as immediate family members in their eyes, so no priority !

No doubt they will use COVID19 & border restrictions as excuses to drag their feet again this new FY. as we can see no email response regarding whereabouts the  processing time is up to.

And also, the refusal rate has  tripled the figure of the previous two years. Not sure why they rejected so many this year, it could largely be based on medical grounds and AOS rejection as the  sponsor as not financially able to support their parents ???   I do feel really sorry for family waiting for 4+ years when still healthy and see their application refused as the processing time extends and then extends  . Based on the number of grants, we can then work out that they probably have processed 5,417 applicants in total, then granted 4,399 visas and rejected 1,018. Oh dear, that is a large number  of people, I am not trying to be a doomsayer as anyone all hopes they have a chance  to reunite with their  family but it is terribly hard to believe & accept. Not to mention  non-refundable millions visa fees. 

Not sure whether this has been posted here before, but  I saw this petition online. if anyone is interested, please sign it.

https://www.change.org/p/permanent-parent-visa-policies-in-australia-aren-t-fair

 

I’m not sure why you say there’s no response regarding the processing time because I’ve just had a reply! Says it was updated 11 September 20 and currently processing May 2016. May and June 2016 saw a huge jump in applications so it’s likely to be stuck on May for quite some time!!  
 

 Its not all covid related - If you read the report fully it says people were refused because of problems with Character , health, and English Language according to the report.  
 

They are busy finalising  onshore applications for various visas to keep them lawful, reuniting partners and young children and exemptions for those Australians needing to leave the country due to deaths etc in the home countries. 

Australia would not take account of a petition I don’t think. To be honest they would prefer young working people who will support the economy and pay taxes,  not old people who have never paid into their economy and will cost a lot as they age further with various health problems  A lot of countries don’t have a parent visa either.  
 

Im grateful to have the chance even thought my wait time is a lot longer than i first expected  

 

2807B98D-4541-4B4D-8BDA-A752D5DA2784.png

  • Like 3

143 lodged 21 June 2017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Vincentphan said:

Obviously, that means to me no commitment from the Department to clearing the massive  accumulated backlog which is now more than 100,000 applicants. Sadly,  parents are not considered as immediate family members in their eyes, so no priority !

It is not a backlog.  It is just a queue.  Governments want skilled workers, they do not want anyone else - especially people over 50.   Statistics show that older people cost the taxpayer far more in medical care and aged care than they contribute in taxes. That is why the fees are so high, to partially compensate for those costs - but it falls far short.  That's why they restrict the numbers every year, and that is never going to change. I think it's more likely they will close the visa altogether (as some other countries have done) than make it more generous.  The only thing that stops them doing that is the negative publicity they'd get.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

It is not a backlog.  It is just a queue.  Governments want skilled workers, they do not want anyone else - especially people over 50.   Statistics show that older people cost the taxpayer far more in medical care and aged care than they contribute in taxes. That is why the fees are so high, to partially compensate for those costs - but it falls far short.  That's why they restrict the numbers every year, and that is never going to change. I think it's more likely they will close the visa altogether (as some other countries have done) than make it more generous.  The only thing that stops them doing that is the negative publicity they'd get.

I suspect it’s more likely to close the non contributory 804 as that doesn’t ask for the large second Vac and also costs the government money because 804 applicants can live onshore and some receive free reciprocal medical care for health problems which will get worse as they get older. It does surprise me that people who are prepared to pay a much  larger amount have to wait offshore whereas 804 applicants aged 66 or over can enter on a visitor visa then get a bridging visa for 30 years before getting the 804 visa. I suspect many will die before they get it granted but at least they are waiting onshore with their families! . Even Contributory  864 applicants get to stay waiting onshore!!  I really think Australia will be looking at this at some point as free reciprocal health care for older people must be costing the govt thousands and thousands and it seems unfair to make one set of parents wait offshore. 
 

I also suspect that rather than stopping the 143 they would greatly increase the. amount needed to pay for the visa  and if they made it retrospective the queue would lessen overnight I think ! 

  • Like 3

143 lodged 21 June 2017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

I suspect it’s more likely to close the non contributory 804 as that doesn’t ask for the large second Vac and also costs the government money because 804 applicants can live onshore and some receive free reciprocal medical care for health problems which will get worse as they get older.

They have tried to abolish the 804 once, but couldn't get it through parliament.  

I do think it's high time they plugged the loophole that allows people to arrive in Australia on a visitor visa and then stay on a bridging visa for years and years, while people who "do the right thing" and apply from overseas are stuck.  

  • Like 3

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

It is not a backlog.  It is just a queue.  Governments want skilled workers, they do not want anyone else - especially people over 50.   Statistics show that older people cost the taxpayer far more in medical care and aged care than they contribute in taxes. That is why the fees are so high, to partially compensate for those costs - but it falls far short.  That's why they restrict the numbers every year, and that is never going to change. I think it's more likely they will close the visa altogether (as some other countries have done) than make it more generous.  The only thing that stops them doing that is the negative publicity they'd get.

And I'm not even sure Australian wants the generality of skilled workers at the moment ...

The rules of the game are changing because of COVID.

Best regards.

 

  • Like 2

Managing Director, Go Matilda Visas - www.gomatilda.com

Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534; Registered Tax Agent (Australia)

Chartered Accountant (UK, and Australia)

T - 023 81 66 11 55 (UK) or 03 9935 2929 (Australia)

E - alan.collett@gomatilda.com and acollett@bdhtax.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a treasure trove this thread is for all things Parent Visas - thanks to all the contributors.

I have a quick question. When someone applies for 864 (contributory aged parent) visa onshore and they're on a Bridging Visa A, are they asked to get preliminary PCC and Health checks done when they get a queue date in a year or two? I know with 804 visa, they're generally asked to get these done in 12-24 months from the date of application. Wondering if the same thing applies to 864 or they are only asked close to grant of visa, which could be 5-6 years away?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andy_ said:

What a treasure trove this thread is for all things Parent Visas - thanks to all the contributors.

I have a quick question. When someone applies for 864 (contributory aged parent) visa onshore and they're on a Bridging Visa A, are they asked to get preliminary PCC and Health checks done when they get a queue date in a year or two? I know with 804 visa, they're generally asked to get these done in 12-24 months from the date of application. Wondering if the same thing applies to 864 or they are only asked close to grant of visa, which could be 5-6 years away?

Thanks.

In our case we applied for the 864 visa in March 2017, apart from paying the initial cost of the application nothing further was required then. Sorry don’t know if this has changed.

Some time later we were in the position of being able to change to the 864 pathway from the retirement visa, and had to get police checks and have a health check when requested and received our request for the 2nd instalment shortly after both were clear. PR granted as soon as the money cleared, I think only hours later.

I can never understand posters complaining about onshore visas, if the visas eg 864/804 exist then why shouldn’t people take advantage of it. Don’t blame them, blame the immigration system, it’s up to the government to change it.

Just to make you feel better? we like some others weren’t entitled to Medicare or anything else while we were waiting for the 864  visa.to be granted.

Edited by ramot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ramot said:

In our case we applied for the 864 visa in March 2017, apart from paying the initial cost of the application nothing further was required then. Sorry don’t know if this has changed.

Some time later we were in the position of being able to change to the 864 pathway from the retirement visa, and had to get police checks and have a health check when requested and received our request for the 2nd instalment shortly after both were clear. PR granted as soon as the money cleared, I think only hours later.

I can never understand posters complaining about onshore visas, if the visas eg 864/804 exist then why shouldn’t people take advantage of it. Don’t blame them, blame the immigration system, it’s up to the government to change it.

Just to make you feel better? we like some others weren’t entitled to Medicare or anything else while we were waiting for the 864  visa.to be granted.

Thanks for that @ramot. Looks like back in 2017 the queue for 864 wasn't particularly long so it al happened really quickly for you. I understand the waiting period now is about 4 years but most likely will be blowing out significantly by the time today's applicants are processed. Would love to hear from someone has seen a more recent case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Andy_ said:

Thanks for that @ramot. Looks like back in 2017 the queue for 864 wasn't particularly long so it al happened really quickly for you. I understand the waiting period now is about 4 years but most likely will be blowing out significantly by the time today's applicants are processed. Would love to hear from someone has seen a more recent case.

My reply might have been slightly confusing, sorry. 

We had lived in Australia since 2003 on the old 410 retirement visa, which closed to new applicants in 2005. Later 2 of our children moved to Australia so we applied for the 864 visa in 2017, and would still be in the queue, had the government not introduced a special pathway for anyone on either the 410 or 405 retirement visas to apply for PR, which we did in November 2018, at the same cost as the parent visa. but with different conditions, you didn’t have to have any children here or need a sponsor, so we were very lucky to have this opportunity. PR granted May 2019, and now waiting for our citizenship ceremony.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×