Guest guest36187

1 minute ago, R. Scratcher said:

If the law allows somebody who has entered Australia on a visitor visa to submit an onshore application for  PR visa how can it be not "doing the right thing"?

It is legal but it is also morally questionable, because when you get a visitor visa you make a statement that you have no intention of staying permanently.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ramot said:

My reply might have been slightly confusing, sorry. 

We had lived in Australia since 2003 on the old 410 retirement visa, which closed to new applicants in 2005. Later 2 of our children moved to Australia so we applied for the 864 visa in 2017, and would still be in the queue, had the government not introduced a special pathway for anyone on either the 410 or 405 retirement visas to apply for PR, which we did in November 2018, at the same cost as the parent visa. but with different conditions, you didn’t have to have any children here or need a sponsor, so we were very lucky to have this opportunity. PR granted May 2019, and now waiting for our citizenship ceremony.

Ah makes sense now -  a bit different pathway then. Great to see it worked out well for you and your partner.

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It is legal but it is also morally questionable, because when you get a visitor visa you make a statement that you have no intention of staying permanently.

It's not always morally questionable.  For example, you could've arrived in Australia back in February with no intention of staying permanently and then became stuck here due to the COVID-19 crisis, making an onshore permanent visa application only because you can't return to the country of origin.

29 minutes ago, rtritudr said:

It's not always morally questionable.  For example, you could've arrived in Australia back in February with no intention of staying permanently and then became stuck here due to the COVID-19 crisis, making an onshore permanent visa application only because you can't return to the country of origin.

True but there are increasingly large numbers of people doing it deliberately 

45 minutes ago, rtritudr said:

There are temporary visa exemptions available that apply in cases like this. Eg you could apply for another temporary visa !  Immi look quite favourably on people wishing  to extend because they are stuck in country as they want to keep people lawful 

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 1

Hi everyone, I think I may have posted this question in the wrong thread (timeline thread) by accident but I am a newbie poster hoping for some advice with regard to CPV 143, which we applied for in April 2016.  We have completed all of our paperwork, health checks etc and are now waiting in limbo for 2nd Vac request like many others. Sadly though during this pandemic, our small business has been decimated, and we have had to rely on our savings, as we were not eligible for government support or furlough, which means we no longer have the full funds available to make payment when requested and will have to rely on the sale of our house.  Would anyone know whether you can request an extension of time to pay for the 2nd Vac when it is eventually requested or must payment be made within 28 days of the request? 

3 minutes ago, GranMartha said:

Hi everyone, I think I may have posted this question in the wrong thread (timeline thread) by accident but I am a newbie poster hoping for some advice with regard to CPV 143, which we applied for in April 2016.  We have completed all of our paperwork, health checks etc and are now waiting in limbo for 2nd Vac request like many others. Sadly though during this pandemic, our small business has been decimated, and we have had to rely on our savings, as we were not eligible for government support or furlough, which means we no longer have the full funds available to make payment when requested and will have to rely on the sale of our house.  Would anyone know whether you can request an extension of time to pay for the 2nd Vac when it is eventually requested or must payment be made within 28 days of the request? 

This pandemic has a lot to answer for! I’m so sorry to hear you’re in this position. I know the rules say you should ensure you have the payment available ready for when you are asked for it and it’s then payable in 28 days. 

I think your best bet would be to consult an agent if you have one or try for a free consultation if you haven’t. or perhaps email your case officer - again if you have one  - or just maybe there are some agents who frequent this forum who may feel able to give you a definitive answer - or just say yes or no!! 

I doubt many of us here would know as none of us are experts - we just try to help as and when we can and give support. 

I really hope you can find a way round this - to have come so far and then hit this - something none of us would have predicted and it seems we are now sailing in uncharted waters!! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

This pandemic has a lot to answer for! I’m so sorry to hear you’re in this position. I know the rules say you should ensure you have the payment available ready for when you are asked for it and it’s then payable in 28 days. 

Many thanks for your speedy response LindaH27. We are considering withdrawing our application at this point but we have waited so long we just want to find out what are options are and who knows we may sell our house before we receive the 2nd Vac Request.

1 hour ago, GranMartha said:

Many thanks for your speedy response LindaH27. We are considering withdrawing our application at this point but we have waited so long we just want to find out what are options are and who knows we may sell our house before we receive the 2nd Vac Request.

I wouldn’t rush into withdrawing your application just now. We are in the same position waiting for the second VAC request, but we are not expecting to hear anything in the next 12 to 18 months. You may have more time than you think and your circumstances could change. Good luck and try to stay positive.   

1 hour ago, GranMartha said:

I second what Linda says.  Don't withdraw your application yet, as it may be some time before they request the 2nd vac.  

Could your children assist with the payment?

20 hours ago, GranMartha said:

You get 28 days to pay but you can request to extend for another 28 days. Beyond this I’m unsure   Good luck 

Edited by Kathss56

2 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

You get 28 days to pay but you can request to extend for another 28 days. Beyond this I’m unsure   Good luck 

Many thanks Kathss56, I do feel somewhat relieved by your response, as we all know it has been such a long wait and yet the closer we get to the final stage the further away it all seems.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GranMartha said:

I wouldn't withdraw your application at this stage.  I don't know if you have any grandchildren but if you haven't now and they come along in the future you'll regret it forever if you can't be with them.  Also, I don't know where you are but in the UK houses are selling really quickly just at the moment so you may well sell in plenty of time to make the payment.  At least give yourselves every chance to see what happens.  I totally understand what you are saying - this last stage of waiting is pure torture!  Fingers crossed..... 

What has the budget statement done to parent visas queues? I can’t find any hard facts for parent visa caps, but it’s not looking good.

They are increasing the family stream planning level to 77,300 places, including 72,300 within the Partner category. And then it would appear of the 5,000 remaining places, 4,000 are allocated to children. So only 1,000 places for parents…??? this can’t be right?

Edited by SusieRoo

Hi, 

I hope everyone is doing good and staying healthy. I've been stalking this forum for a while(very helpful and informative). And this article shows some highlights from today's presented 2020 budget and shows increase number of family visas upto 77k and as i recon it was around 44k last year.

Can someone confirm this info?

I'll appreciate your comments. Thank you.

Opera Snapshot_2020-10-06_162924_theconversation.com.png

32 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

What has the budget statement done to parent visas queues? I can’t find any hard facts for parent visa caps, but it’s not looking good.

They are increasing the family stream planning level to 77,300 places, including 72,300 within the Partner category. And then it would appear of the 5,000 remaining places, 4,000 are allocated to children. So only 1,000 places for parents…??? this can’t be right?

AND they’re prioritising onshore applicants !!

36 minutes ago, Arti said:

It just keeps getting worse 😥

It’s a teeny bit better than 2019-20 - look how many contributory and  non contributory were granted ! But  I do think it’s very wrong to go back to prioritising onshore applications when they’re already with their families over there, whereas people paying the same amount to get 143 have to wait offshore 

You never know,  there may be a debate in Parliament once  MPs constituents all write in complaining about their parents having to wait much longer ! 

B54DFA33-79DB-4DFC-84FF-89478A12AEDF.jpeg

12 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

I don't think so children visa numbers will become part of the family stream visas. Please see below screenshot of last year planning level (2019-20)in which they have only partner, parents and other family under family stream visas. 

image.thumb.png.aa7096e66213d35e76fe4ceac0c53092.png