Guest guest36187

We heard from our agent last night to submit Police check, medicals, form 80 and AoS!  It was stressed to us that we do not as yet have a case officer but to get the ball rolling, especially the AoS........ We queried whether we needed the Australian Police check, as we hadn’t fulfilled previous 12 months in 10 years prior to lodgement, but was advised it’s a bit of a grey area, and as we are now in Oz on 600 Visa, it would be advisable to get one.

Geoff & Gill

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

@Trudyandandrew I would be in the same boat really re housing. If I bought it would have to be so far away from my daughter to be affordable and I wouldn’t see her and grandchild often enough and would probably be lonely!

So, we have decided to go down the big house/granny annexe option! 

Us too Kath, 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

@Trudyandandrew I would be in the same boat really re housing. If I bought it would have to be so far away from my daughter to be affordable and I wouldn’t see her and grandchild often enough and would probably be lonely!

So, we have decided to go down the big house/granny annexe option! 

I decided on this option too.  It makes sense on so many levels, and building work starts 5th March. 

• Like 3

Me too! In fact my daughter and family have already started looking for a bigger house with enough garden space for a granny flat and hopefully one day a pool! I can help them out with the grandkids etc and they can keep an eye on me and we will both have our own space. Couldn't do it otherwise. It will be a couple of years at least  before I even  get my visa hopefully but in the meantime the flat could be used for long stays  and even if other family want to visit. Perhaps this could be an option for you Trudy and Andrew?

• Like 6

Just now, LindaH27 said:

Me too! In fact my daughter and family have already started looking for a bigger house with enough garden space for a granny flat and hopefully one day a pool! I can help them out with the grandkids etc and they can keep an eye on me and we will both have our own space. Couldn't do it otherwise. It will be a couple of years at least  before I even  get my visa hopefully but in the meantime the flat could be used for long stays  and even if other family want to visit. Perhaps this could be an option for you Trudy and Andrew?

Although I’ve started calling mine the Au Pair wing!!!  haha 

• Like 6

My mum who is still waiting built her granny flat in our garden and is delighted with it. She's on hand for the kids but got her own space & she went for a high spec on appliances/fitting etc but has now got minimal running costs and a pool view! To have her own space while shes waiting is making a big difference ?

• Like 4

15 hours ago, glenffidich said:

Hi there we have had to make the decision due to my bad health and agree its getting very expensive over there, that's why they get such high wages, anyway back to your problem our agent was very ill so could not do it so we had to do it via the attached link. Good luck with every thing and wish you well. regards Joy & Ian Ramsgate Kent UK.

https://www.border.gov.au/Forms/Documents/1446.pdf

Best of luck to you both.

• Like 1

Trudy and Andrew, so sorry you feel you have to pull out of your application, as others have said there are cheaper areas away from cities, but if you feel you can’t do that I hope you get out for lots of lovely holidays with your family.

To all with the granny flats good luck it seems a good solution especially if you are on your own you have security and privacy when you want it and fun with family too. We are still hoping to buy our own place just waiting for the visa.......

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Geoffandgill said:

We heard from our agent last night to submit Police check, medicals, form 80 and AoS!  It was stressed to us that we do not as yet have a case officer but to get the ball rolling, especially the AoS........ We queried whether we needed the Australian Police check, as we hadn’t fulfilled previous 12 months in 10 years prior to lodgement, but was advised it’s a bit of a grey area, and as we are now in Oz on 600 Visa, it would be advisable to get one.

Geoff & Gill

Good news we also heard from the parent visa centre yesterday asking us to submit Police checks, medicals, form 80 and AOS. 

• Like 9

Hi All,

Our saga is ongoing !! :rolleyes:  after having a test  to check for TB and waiting 8 weeks for the results, the Lab it seems got dates mixed up and we now have to do another one :mad: and wait another 8 weeks :arghh:      .

But I suppose its not that much more after the 3 year wait, worse could have happened .

Meanwhile, our daughter had her centrelink sponsor interview about 10 weeks ago and has heard nothing since?. Any idea what the current wait is, or should be ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

8 hours ago, gafuk said:

Hi All,

Our saga is ongoing !! :rolleyes:  after having a test  to check for TB and waiting 8 weeks for the results, the Lab it seems got dates mixed up and we now have to do another one :mad: and wait another 8 weeks :arghh:      .

But I suppose its not that much more after the 3 year wait, worse could have happened .

Meanwhile, our daughter had her centrelink sponsor interview about 10 weeks ago and has heard nothing since?. Any idea what the current wait is, or should be ?

You're having a bit of a nightmare with all this, and I do feel for you both.  I hope the second test goes off without a hitch this time.  I think your daughter should chase Centrelink because they have been known by other forum members to make real mistakes; their helpfulness/efficiency seems to depend a lot on who you deal with in the various offices.  If she can manage to visit the office, that would be better than trying to phone.  Also, if she can get there first thing in the morning to be first in the queue.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, gafuk said:

Hi All,

Would you believe it,  they rang this afternoon. !! ( don’t think they read these posts do you ? ) , (paranoid)

All coming together hopefully . ❤️ Centrelink ❤️

• Like 7

So, just an update ? After 15 weeks waiting on the phone call from Centrelink, they called me on Saturday morning the 27th at 08.30!! I missed the call, and the lady left a message saying that she would send me a letter. Low and behold, received the letter on Thursday. It's the letter with the bank guarantee request! So I've skipped the interview apparently ?

Made my appt with Commonwealth for this coming Wednesday. Getting closer now ?

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Nicole Eire said:

So, just an update ? After 15 weeks waiting on the phone call from Centrelink, they called me on Saturday morning the 27th at 08.30!! I missed the call, and the lady left a message saying that she would send me a letter. Low and behold, received the letter on Thursday. It's the letter with the bank guarantee request! So I've skipped the interview apparently ?

Made my appt with Commonwealth for this coming Wednesday. Getting closer now ?

It is so nice to hear that some people are making progress.  We seem to have had quite a period where no-one has had any good news.  Things are moving on - hurrah! :D

• Like 4

5 hours ago, pmindia said:

In the case of the 173 visa, once a case officer is assigned how long would it be before the visa is issued? What does the timeline typically looks like?

With the 173 visa we don't need to do all the AOS stuff, so you would hope this reduces the timeline by a good few weeks. Also immi’s ‘Global Visa Processing Times’ are showing 1 to 2 months less time for 173 visas.

Most contributors on this thread are on 143 visas and you can see from many of the previous posts, there are significant delays and frustration with Centrelink and the AOS part of the process. (Sadly we still have to go though this at a later stage)

It’s very difficult to tell how immi really works, particularly now they’re contacting applicants, ‘pre’ case officer. Historically you would plan on about three months from case officer to second-vac payment request.  But if we also get a pre case officer call, then assuming everything is in order, we could see our processing time reduced significantly.

If everything checks out and your application is accepted, you have 28 days to make the payment. Visa grant is just few days after immi receives their cheque.

Where are you up to yourself, and when did you apply?

On 01/02/2018 at 22:34, David Leask said:

Ditto for us. We couldn’t contemplate buying in Sydney and renting would rob us of our money too quickly. It’s the big house/granny flat option for us too.

That’s the option I have gone for and I have to say, touch wood, that it’s working out very well.  By going in with my daughter and son in law to buy a bigger property thereby giving space for a granny flat, it meant that it was financially advantageous for both parties, plus it meant that there was enough money left to have a swimming pool.??‍♀️.  I’m on hand to help with child minding etc but we all have our own separate living space so function totally independently of each other.  It’s very reassuring to be so close to family and means I am certainly not lonely as I am able to see quite a lot of them.   

My own financial share of the property is clearly identified via a “bare trust” which was very easily  set up through a solicitor.  If I had been buying on my own then my capital would have been readily swallowed up, but this way I have actually ended up with capital release.

• Like 5

On 1 February 2018 at 19:30, Trudyandandrew said:

Hi our dream is over ,we have just returned from 3 months in Melbourne and cannot believe how expensive everything is and we realised we cannot afford to buy or rent . We have had request for 2nd vac ,how do we inform we have changed our mind thank you ,this has been an extremely difficult decision to make.

I don't know the answer to that one, although I imagine it would be enough to send them a letter.

I am just writing to say how very sorry I feel for you having to make such an unwelcome decision. We have been shocked to the core at the price of houses in Sydney and. Have found a solution for ourselves by moving two hours down the coast. Housing is still expensive but affordable - just.

No use me asking if there is any way you can find a small town writhing traveling distance of. Melbourne because I'm sure you have looked at all the angles ...  I hope you manage to settle back into a routine in the UK. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AMP said:

That’s the option I have gone for and I have to say, touch wood, that it’s working out very well.  By going in with my daughter and son in law to buy a bigger property thereby giving space for a granny flat, it meant that it was financially advantageous for both parties, plus it meant that there was enough money left to have a swimming pool.??‍♀️.  I’m on hand to help with child minding etc but we all have our own separate living space so function totally independently of each other.  It’s very reassuring to be so close to family and means I am certainly not lonely as I am able to see quite a lot of them.   

My own financial share of the property is clearly identified via a “bare trust” which was very easily  set up through a solicitor.  If I had been buying on my own then my capital would have been readily swallowed up, but this way I have actually ended up with capital release.

That’s exactly what we are doing Angela. As we all agree it would best all round as I will be childminding 3 days a week. Then I can “have a nice life” with my leftover lump sum as my daughter said ??

• Like 4

On 01/02/2018 at 08:30, Trudyandandrew said:

Hi our dream is over ,we have just returned from 3 months in Melbourne and cannot believe how expensive everything is and we realised we cannot afford to buy or rent . We have had request for 2nd vac ,how do we inform we have changed our mind thank you ,this has been an extremely difficult decision to make.

I could have written that myself. We have also just returned from a 3 month visit to Melbourne and found basically that property was beyond reach. In the end we had to decide that exchanging a comfortable 3 bedroom house in England for a one bedroom flat/unit in Melbourne was just not worth it.....the bond contribution has also obviously increased drastically over the three years since application.

So with about a month to go before action would begin we have reluctantly decided to withdraw. We will have to make do with the annual visit for as long as we can put up with the flight!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Calmac said:

I could have written that myself. We have also just returned from a 3 month visit to Melbourne and found basically that property was beyond reach. In the end we had to decide that exchanging a comfortable 3 bedroom house in England for a one bedroom flat/unit in Melbourne was just not worth it.....the bond contribution has also obviously increased drastically over the three years since application.

So with about a month to go before action would begin we have reluctantly decided to withdraw. We will have to make do with the annual visit for as long as we can put up with the flight!

Sad for you. How rotten to get this far and be defeated by the ludicrous property prices. Long may you be able to stand the flights... At least your UK pension won't be frozen!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Calmac said:

Sincere heartfelt best wishes to you, so sorry to hear your news. Luckily for us, in Perth, there has been a property price recession or we would be the same!

• Like 3