SUMMARY: Spouse Visa Processing times OFFSHORE-UK. Please add your Stats.

Guest sr1992

Wow! We are similar!

You wouldn't think it would have to take so long when we have kids and all we really want to do is "go home". We don't own a house here so basically once it is granted my partner needs to give 1 months notice at work, we sell everything we own and get on a plane! We do have the luxury of going straight to my parents place in Coffs Harbour where we will have free accommodation and child care until we get back on our feet.

I didn't feel homesick that much living here before I had the kids but now I feel so isolated and am finding it hard without any of my family around, especially my mum :(

It makes a big difference to have a place to live with family when you get back. We're going to stay with Mum while we find jobs and a permanent rental, though sadly the area where she lives is not somewhere we'll find work.

Like you, I've never been homesick but having made the decision I just want to get on with it now. It is frustrating that it should take so long for straightforward cases like ours.

Guest charleysmum74
Just wondering - how can you be so sure when the visa will be granted (i.e so sure as to book os flights to newzealand)?

I spoke to my CO as it is nigh on 5 months since I applied. I explained that I have a job etc and she told me to go ahead and book flights (it wasn't going to happen until mid Oct as her processing times have increased due to her absence). I think this was only the case as I had previously been assured that my visa would be granted early Sept and I came out on a tourist visa etc etc....

Guest charleysmum74
How does it work when your visa gets granted? Do they email you to say its about to happen and you jump on a plane to nz, tell your co that you are now overseas , then they grant it? Not sure how it all works!

I got all confused about this, which I why I phoned my CO. What happened in my case is that I told her that I had a job to start and the date my e visitor expires and she compassionately told me to book flights and she will grant my visa while I'm out of Aus.

When I spoke to Sydney immgration office they told me that by rights your CO should give you 28 days notice if you are onshore so that you can leave. I can't see this happening in anyone's wildest dreams by the London lot!!

Guest charleysmum74
DaveS and I are still both waiting for THAT email!!!

I've been told that if I don't have it by the 24/09 then to "remind" my co...but we fly on the 27/09!!! That will be far too late to organise a tourist visa if I need one...grrr why not just grant it already!

why not get a tourist visa just in case???

How does it work when your visa gets granted? Do they email you to say its about to happen and you jump on a plane to nz, tell your co that you are now overseas , then they grant it? Not sure how it all works!

Basically i received an email stating that my visa is ready to be issued and that i have to leave the country within 28 days to validate my 309. I have to stay out of Aus for at least three working days and email my CO who will then issue my visa. Then jump back on the plane and enter australia on my 309.

booked my tickets to NZ on Tuesday returning thursday for $450 and will stay in a hostel to keep costs down.

I was wondering what stage you were at too Ihigman- are your nerves not shot yet?

Lol getting there! I'm trying to stay cool about it all, I mean we're going to be going either way, if I have to go offshore then so be it, I'm not going to be working anyway, I'm a stay at home Mum so it's no big deal, it would just be really nice to not have to think about it!

Haven't heard from DaveS lately but I'm pretty sure if he had his by now then he'd be letting me know that the drinks were on him!

I may just apply for a tourist visa just to cover all bases.

Hi everyone, just found this thread and thought I'd say hi! We applied for my OH's spouse visa (including our 8 month old son) on July 9th - am gutted to realise that we missed a shorter processing time by just a matter of days if we'd got it in before 1st July!!:-( Serves us right for taking our time I suppose!

Anyway, here's hoping it takes the lower end of the 7-9 month estimate!!

Good luck to you all playing the waiting game :-)

Hi all just an update, case officer said April/May grant which will be 8/9 months from application date which is now the norm, so I'm just waiting now. Partner coming over for three months in october then i will go to Australia for three months on an ETA and then that will bring us to April/May when I will pop over to Bali when it's time for grant of visa. I'm just happy that I my application is all done! Just got to play the waiting game now....

CO told me it was ok to book flights so i've done it! Flying out to Oz on 12th November. She said my visa will be granted by then. I hope so, 5 months would be end of October :S Good luck to all those who are due now, fingers crossed lots are granted this week!!!

So just got the dreaded email. PMV lodgement date 4 Sept, indeed we have been told 8-9 months. Just a query... The letter says provide medical and character checks by 49 days. However, they have also advised we hold off on medical checks as they link in with your initial entry date. As my fiancé has no solid ties in England, and can give a few days notice at his job and would immediately come to Aus. They said only don't do it soon as after the 8-9 months you may need to sell your house etc. before your entry date and to factor in that time. My fiancé plans to enter about a week after we receive the visa.... What do u guys think? I feel no need to wait as why not get the medical done ASAP, if at the most his medical will be 9 months old on his initial entry date..... thoughts???

We have deffered our medical requests. We have asked for a long lead in time as we are in no rush to move. Howeve she said thatt it's not normal but would be willing to do it if we stick within their good practice guidelines. i.e they want to stick to processing times so we can't delay that. Therefore she has agreed to request after 3 months, and then we have 49 days to complete meaning we have in reality up to 4 1/2 months into the process to get them the medicals and pcs and they can still grant within the 5-6 month timeframe. We did this in our initial letter so whether they would do this now they have requested them I am unsure. It will make no difference to your grant date, so if you feel there may be an issue that may delay you then hold off a bit longer. If not then just get them out of the way

Edited by k8bug79

CO told me it was ok to book flights so i've done it! Flying out to Oz on 12th November. She said my visa will be granted by then. I hope so, 5 months would be end of October :S Good luck to all those who are due now, fingers crossed lots are granted this week!!!

My CO is still giving nothing away so I really don't know what to do, I need some advice. You're not the only person who lodged 2 weeks before me who has already been given a date but I'm still being quoted 5-6 months and they're not in a position to tell me when it will be granted apart from that it will likely be 'nearer' to 6 than 5 months. I've told them that I'm considering flying over on a tourist visa a month before my due date but that would just be a guess, I'm thinking perhaps he just said nearer to 6 to be on the safe side in which case if I fly out a month before the 6 month mark I may need to head to NZ to be offshore not soon afterwards.... making it not worth it. It's going to cost us a lot for the NZ holiday to fly from Adelaide then accommodation but I think it's do-able. Just not sure whether it's worth it just to see each other a month sooner (can only afford a month of not working) as it would mean extra costs (flight,accommodation,tourist visa, leaving my job earlier and not being able to work in Aus immediately.) But on the other hand, it's been 6 months apart so far, every day is a struggle without him and I absolutely hate my temp job and living situation over here.

It seems to be a catch 22, any recommendations to sway me one way or the other? It's all up to me really. What I say to him goes, hehe.

My CO is still giving nothing away so I really don't know what to do, I need some advice. You're not the only person who lodged 2 weeks before me who has already been given a date but I'm still being quoted 5-6 months and they're not in a position to tell me when it will be granted apart from that it will likely be 'nearer' to 6 than 5 months. I've told them that I'm considering flying over on a tourist visa a month before my due date but that would just be a guess, I'm thinking perhaps he just said nearer to 6 to be on the safe side in which case if I fly out a month before the 6 month mark I may need to head to NZ to be offshore not soon afterwards.... making it not worth it. It's going to cost us a lot for the NZ holiday to fly from Adelaide then accommodation but I think it's do-able. Just not sure whether it's worth it just to see each other a month sooner (can only afford a month of not working) as it would mean extra costs (flight,accommodation,tourist visa, leaving my job earlier and not being able to work in Aus immediately.) But on the other hand, it's been 6 months apart so far, every day is a struggle without him and I absolutely hate my temp job and living situation over here.

It seems to be a catch 22, any recommendations to sway me one way or the other? It's all up to me really. What I say to him goes, hehe.[/QUO

Yeah we thought about doing all that with a tourist visa, but decided it really wasn't worth the costs especially when we have a baby to think about and I wouldn't want to leave him even for a few days to have my visa granted in NZ, and the hassel of taking him with me? No Thanks!! From a mind over matter point of view i'd say wait til its granted and then go, although you don't like your job here, it's money which will help you have a bit of time off when you get over there. And yes it's been a long time apart and that sucks but i'm sure skype makes the distance easier. My partner and I were apart for 6 months last year which was horrible as I was pregnant and he missed out on all the scans etc (luckily he got here 2 weeks before the birth) but 'Absence is to love as wind is to fire.....it extinguishes the small but kindles the great' . Be strong!! And in a few weeks time hassel that CO. GOOD LUCK!!!

This is the Great Dane checking in :tongue:

Currently been in the UK on and off for the past decade or so and the Mrs is keen to make the move back to her native Sydney.

I sent in my 309/100 form on 31/8, cash taken 3/9 and CO contacted me 4/9 (SV).

I believe our case is a straightforward one, been living together in sin, common law marriage, whichever you prefer, for the past few years :wink:

Plenty of evidence, shared bills, shared everything really, witnesses and so forth so I'm hoping for a quick turnaround but have also been quoted 8-9 months.

Question regarding Health and Character Requirements:

"As a result of the current processing times for Partner visa applications at this post we ask that you refrain from obtaining the following health and character checks for three (3) months from the date of this letter."

Before I make any assumptions/race off and get my health check done, should I sit tight and wait until SV shoots me a note telling me to get my health check done? From previous posts I can see applicants doing their health checks a few weeks after the initial contact from the CO.

Thanks guys.

Had an update from CO yesterday, he said our application is perfect but even though we have a very straightforward case we can expect to wait the entire 8 months of the 6-8month estimate as they can only process so many applications per month & we are a looong way down the queue! This will bring us to April 2013!

We have decided that I will be flying out with the kids in November & my partner will follow in February on a Tourist Visa as the CO advised that he would be in touch 1 week before the visa is granted so he can go offshore.

Not the ideal situation and certainly not what we had planned but it is our only sensible option at the moment.