SUMMARY: Spouse Visa Processing times OFFSHORE-UK. Please add your Stats.

Guest sr1992

Guest charleysmum74
Just thought i would update my situation. Been in Australia for nearly 3 weeks now and settling in nicely. The weather over here has been amazing and today was 28 degrees. Jet lag took its time to get over and have now got into the routine. Love the lakes and the trips down to the beach, it is truly stunning here and now getting used to the new sounds from the birds. I and also getting to understand the differences in language and also what shops are best for what products. I have now got a car (which is harder than it seems as so ridiculously expensive) so am more mobile and starting to drive round looking for suitable places to buy (currently living with OH's parents).

Have got an aussie mobile on Optus and for $30 a month include 250 free minutes to any phone anywhere and yes that includes a uk mobile, the package also includes unlimited texts and 500 mb of data. All i did was transfer the sim over on my iphone and ready to go. Which is amazing as still keep in touch with family and friends when out and about.

Still waiting on my visa and constantly looking for flights to NZ and the varying costs. Been looking at jobs but not applied for any yet as it is against the rules of the tourist visa to be actively seeking employment and to be honest dont want to have any black marks against my name (You never know if there are any jobsworths about).

Its been amazing spending time with my OH after being away from each other for 4 months and have spent a lot of time together. She is back at work and am now getting slightly restless and just want the visa to be granted so i can start applying for jobs myself

As for the one way ticket, it is no problem at all, just walked up to immigration and they asked the purpose of my stay and said visiting my fiance and waiting for my spouse visa to be granted. They said fine and walked through. No other questions raised. Even got a sticker straight through customs and didnt get x-rayed there either. Took about 20 mins from landing to the arrivals lounge.

To those waiting or wondering if the process is worth it I can honestly say at the moment it feels the best decision i have made.

Good luck to all and fingers crossed my visa will be granted soon.

I'm here on a tourist visa and it hasn't been a problem at all that I secured a job before my PR is granted. My employer understands and wants me to start as soon as my PR is granted, which will be weeke after next. So don't let being on a tourist visa hold you back if you see a job you would like to go for. It's much easier to interview when you are here, and be honest with your future employer. Only two more weeks of being a 'lady of leisure' for me!

Good luck!!

Guest charleysmum74
Frankly I think it's just to make life that little bit difficult for Offshore applicants and discourage you from applying and then heading straight to Oz on a Tourist Visa. If you need to leave anyway you are that little bit more likely to remain offshore while it is processed.

In no way whatsoever was I discouraged from entering on a tourist visa while my subclass 100 was granted, I was told that many people waiting for visa decisions do the same. Don't let the 'having to be offshore while your visa is granted' hold you back. It's only a 3 day trip over to NZ which has cost me in total about $500 including flights and accom. Being here on a tourist visa has worked out really well for us. My husband had to start work straight away, so in 4 weeks, I have managed to complete all the 'other tasks' such as finding a house, job, childcare etc.

Good luck!x

Guest charleysmum74
Regarding return tickets - I dont see the problem coming in on a one way ticket.. except I would have a ticket ONWARDS to somewhere like Bali/NZ. Usually when you go through immigration at airports (for non-visa related travel) their main concern is an onward ticket, not a return ticket. They want you out of the country when your tourist visa is up...I'm pretty sure they dont care what country you leave to, as long as you leave.

Not sure if that would be the cheaper option, but it saves worrying about being rejected if you only have your ticket into australia...

In my experience, don't bother with the expense of a return or an onward ticket. As long as you can explain your situation if you have to you will have no problem. I printed all my correspondence off expecting an interrogation (which my CO said I WOULD NOT GET! BUT I DIDN'T BELIEVE HER!) I should have trusted her as I had no problems whatsoever. Everything is on their system. Don't worry as there isn't anything to worry about if you're all above board and not a boat person!

Good luck, just do it the best way for your circumstances x

Guest charleysmum74
Well my CO confirmed receipt of the passport copy. He still says hes not in a position to issue me a visa.

I am starting to get a bit frustrated by it all. The worst thing is its a product entirely of my own creation.

What's the bother Dave S?? Surely you should have your visa by now??????????!

Hello new applicants and those of us enduring "the wait". I havent been on in a while - so big congrats to everyone who had their visa's granted since I was last about!

By the spreadsheet gu-estimate my visa should be granted next week eeps!!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aopvk3Y5mD7HdGp5V2hESFluN3V0QWNBTDg2TWJoLVE#gid=0

DaveS :) Chill out man :) I can't remember do you have flights booked?

In no way whatsoever was I discouraged from entering on a tourist visa while my subclass 100 was granted, I was told that many people waiting for visa decisions do the same. Don't let the 'having to be offshore while your visa is granted' hold you back. It's only a 3 day trip over to NZ which has cost me in total about $500 including flights and accom. Being here on a tourist visa has worked out really well for us. My husband had to start work straight away, so in 4 weeks, I have managed to complete all the 'other tasks' such as finding a house, job, childcare etc.

Good luck!x

hi Charleysmum, as i think i mentioned before your posts are encouraging me to go slightly earlier than i thought i would, with my partner at the end of October, as he is scheduled to start work in mid November & my perm residency visa is due for grant mid Nov -mid Dec, going on the timescale LG has given me.

Good to hear the "NZ-run" need not be too expensive.

i think having 2-6 weeks before my visa is granted will be very useful "set-up" time for household etc stuff.

I know that we are not supposed to be "actively seeking work" whilst on a tourist visa but i would still want to be applying for jobs and being available for interview , given how far down the road things are in the process. i would hope that, as you say, if one is upfront and honest with employers, this would not be seen as an issue.

J

Edited by jimmyay1

I have received TWO lovely emails. One yesterday and one today from my CO.

Yesterday was to tell me we will be granted our visas, approximtely 6 months from application lodgement and today was to say we will be granted permanent residency :jiggy: So happy right now :)

Hi, I have been reading all these posts with knots in my stomach!

I am the Aussie and have lived in the UK for 8 years and my OH, Jess is the Pom, we have been together 5 years and have two children 2yrs & 8 months old both whom are Australian Citizens by Descent and have Australian Passports. The Application was received & acknowledged by his Case Officer (AB) on 02.08.12 in London and the police check, medical & further evidence (utility bills etc.) was requested. It was also advised in this letter that the visa being processed would be Sublass 100. The Police Check & further evidence was sent on 06.08.12 & Jess went for his medical at the Spire Hospital, Manchester on 07.08.12.

Before finding this forum I was under the impression that our particular circumstances would be cause for a quick processing time & was thinking we could be there for Christmas! I must be dreaming!

I have been on Maternity Leave since November 2011 and am unable to return to work now as we simply cannot afford the cost of childcare for 2 children Full-Time so things are getting pretty tough financially on only one income!

I am starting to think that maybe I may have to fly out with the children and start work whilst may partner stays here and waits for the Visa to be granted - there is no way we can afford to all live in the UK for another 7 months!

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Yes, I am. We werent told which subclass but the medical was requested (as was the police check but it has already been applied for). The letter says 6-8 (or was it 9?) months.

We really need to go home so my son (also an aussie citizen) can start school in January. I suppose we should have applied earlier, so ultimately its our fault and we shouldnt whinge, but i had no idea it would be that long. We werent intending to travel separately, mostly for my 8 year old's benefit.

As far as finances go, yes but no...I work freelance and can pick up work here and there but given I am going home soon, am not pushing and marketing myself, so its a bit awkward.

Wow, I had to check I wasn't about to answer my own post.

We are in almost exactly the same situation except we've been together 6 years and our kids are 2.5 and 10mo.

We're not as organised as you and I'm still doing the kids Australian Citizenship by descent. As soon as possible we will get DH's Visa application in but can't see it being before November.

I am due to go back to work in December but, like you, the cost of childcare makes this pointless (and I'm on a good wage).

On the other hand, we can't afford to live on one wage and are eating into savings every month we are here so the only option is to get out of here as fast as we can.

I've considered the possibility of going to Oz on my own to start working and DH to follow when his Visa is through and house is sold. My situation is probably a little different in that most of the jobs that come up for me are in expensive areas of Sydney. This makes it uncertain whether it is economically worthwhile because I'd have to pay long day care for two children under three, plus rent accommodation on my own for the three of us. At this stage we are going to just live on savings for up to a year. There's also a lot of organising as far as shipping, selling house, applying for citizenships, passports etc for myself and kids so I'm planning to take charge of all this while DH is working.

Current processing time on the London Consulate website is 8-9mo for partner visas, which is why we're allowing a year. I also wish I'd got off my b*m and applied sooner as I was remembering that last time I looked it was showing 5mo processing time.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Guest jubjub87
In my experience, don't bother with the expense of a return or an onward ticket. As long as you can explain your situation if you have to you will have no problem. I printed all my correspondence off expecting an interrogation (which my CO said I WOULD NOT GET! BUT I DIDN'T BELIEVE HER!) I should have trusted her as I had no problems whatsoever. Everything is on their system. Don't worry as there isn't anything to worry about if you're all above board and not a boat person!

Good luck, just do it the best way for your circumstances x

Thats it then...im just going to book a one way, then book a flight to nz at a later stage! Ill print off my correspondence and all of that and hopefully it will be fine! So anyway i was wondering...when we pass through and they scan our passport...can they see that we have a spouse visa pending?

Edited by jubjub87

DaveS and I are still both waiting for THAT email!!!

I've been told that if I don't have it by the 24/09 then to "remind" my co...but we fly on the 27/09!!! That will be far too late to organise a tourist visa if I need one...grrr why not just grant it already!

DaveS and I are still both waiting for THAT email!!!

I've been told that if I don't have it by the 24/09 then to "remind" my co...but we fly on the 27/09!!! That will be far too late to organise a tourist visa if I need one...grrr why not just grant it already!

I was wondering what stage you were at too Ihigman- are your nerves not shot yet?

We're in a similar situation financially, family make up etc. We could have submitted our application in February really, we had all the evidence then, we just dragged our feet getting things copied, etc, and now we just have to deal with that and wait our turn. I want to be in Australia in January so our eldest can start school. She's the right age to start prep in Victoria but will have had over a year of schooling here so I've negotiated her a Grade 1 place and we'll see how she copes with that, but I don't want her to start late in the year on top of that.

It does make me cross when people keep getting told there's a quota and they can only allow a certain number in a year, etc, as spouse visas are not allowed to be capped and I don't understand why they have to wait so long once everything has been filed and approved.

So did you have a return ticket happyviolet? I have only been out of the country for the last 5 months after spending 2 years there on a working holiday so it might raise some eyebrows thats why i thought a return ticket would look better. Some people have said to book a return and some people have said that it will be fine not to! so still not sure where im at!

I did have a return (promised my parents we'd be in UK this Xmas!) but I don't think the guy at immigration would have been able to tell, and he didn't ask! I'm just back from a week in new Zealand and had exactly the same experience coming through immigration on my return to Aus - barely looked at my passport or landing card, and no questions!

I emaile dmy case officer to day abpout the time frames. A perect job has come up in my ideal company and typica;;y I don't think they'll wiat for visa grant. I wante dto give realistic time frames so I askedgiven all the talk about extensions. This is what she said.

(case officer is jc)

For applications lodged in the previous financial year such as yours, we are trying our best to stick to the 5 to 6 month processing time originally quoted and for your planning this is currently looking closer to 6 months than 5. I believe the rumour you may be referring to is the increase in processing times but that is only affecting those who are lodging their applications now in this current financial year where applications are taking 8 to 9 months due to planning levels.

Realistically as you lodged at the end of June, you are looking at a decision time of the end of December unless there are any dramatic changes to our processing times.

I am trying to find out what that means for us as that will mean Boxing day grant date which obviously is not going to happen. But this may be useful to others.

:jiggy:WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!! Visa has been granted!!!! Woke up this morning and just checked my emails and there it was!!!

Now to book flights to NZ.

Its finally happened!! after all this waiting i can finally start my life properly over here!!

Good luck all

:biggrin:

Right guys, I'm pretty sure today is the day that my fiance is sending our PMV application in England. I can almost officially say I am in the waiting/processing period with all the other forum peeps!... ball should be rolling next week hopefully! So glad to be getting rid of that damn application and it actually feels good to be 'waiting'. I know I wont say that down the track but I am heading over to visit the fiance in November to break up the waiting period, so I have that to look forward to and all my girlfriends are helping me with wedding stuff to keep my mind off things!

I'll be sure to let you know when I get the first correspondence from the old Aus House ;);)

Now I shall go call the fiance and wake him up and tell him to get that thing in the post!!!!!!!!

Wow, I had to check I wasn't about to answer my own post.

We are in almost exactly the same situation except we've been together 6 years and our kids are 2.5 and 10mo.

We're not as organised as you and I'm still doing the kids Australian Citizenship by descent. As soon as possible we will get DH's Visa application in but can't see it being before November.

I am due to go back to work in December but, like you, the cost of childcare makes this pointless (and I'm on a good wage).

On the other hand, we can't afford to live on one wage and are eating into savings every month we are here so the only option is to get out of here as fast as we can.

I've considered the possibility of going to Oz on my own to start working and DH to follow when his Visa is through and house is sold. My situation is probably a little different in that most of the jobs that come up for me are in expensive areas of Sydney. This makes it uncertain whether it is economically worthwhile because I'd have to pay long day care for two children under three, plus rent accommodation on my own for the three of us. At this stage we are going to just live on savings for up to a year. There's also a lot of organising as far as shipping, selling house, applying for citizenships, passports etc for myself and kids so I'm planning to take charge of all this while DH is working.

Current processing time on the London Consulate website is 8-9mo for partner visas, which is why we're allowing a year. I also wish I'd got off my b*m and applied sooner as I was remembering that last time I looked it was showing 5mo processing time.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Wow! We are similar!

You wouldn't think it would have to take so long when we have kids and all we really want to do is "go home". We don't own a house here so basically once it is granted my partner needs to give 1 months notice at work, we sell everything we own and get on a plane! We do have the luxury of going straight to my parents place in Coffs Harbour where we will have free accommodation and child care until we get back on our feet.

I didn't feel homesick that much living here before I had the kids but now I feel so isolated and am finding it hard without any of my family around, especially my mum :(

We're in a similar situation financially, family make up etc. We could have submitted our application in February really, we had all the evidence then, we just dragged our feet getting things copied, etc, and now we just have to deal with that and wait our turn. I want to be in Australia in January so our eldest can start school. She's the right age to start prep in Victoria but will have had over a year of schooling here so I've negotiated her a Grade 1 place and we'll see how she copes with that, but I don't want her to start late in the year on top of that.

It does make me cross when people keep getting told there's a quota and they can only allow a certain number in a year, etc, as spouse visas are not allowed to be capped and I don't understand why they have to wait so long once everything has been filed and approved.

Same here, could have probably got the application in at least before July 1 if I had realised that the processing times would be changing and they were "capping" the number of applications. Looks like we are all in for a nice long wait ...