A year in Aus

Lavers

So it was a year today when we took a leap of faith and landed on Aussie soil for the 1st time. Me, my wife and 2 girls (10 & 4) at the time, no jobs, no house and didn't know anyone.

We landed in Melbourne to do our 2 week quarantine in the hope that the borders would open to SA, but unfortunately covid kicked off big time in Melbourne and we had to do another 2 weeks when we arrived in SA. Atleast this 2 weeks was in our airbnb so we had to clean and cook which made time go a little faster.

Upon leaving quarantine I managed to find a job in the 1st couple of days (which I'm still in) we also got the 1st rental we went for 👍.

So far life has been good in Aus, my daughters love it here and there is so much to do and see, the winter has probably dragged on more than I like, but still only like a UK autumn.

My wife has a casual job which goes well with school drop off and pick up, and she has a place at uni to do her degree in nursing which she was going to start next year until we found out that we are expecting an Aussie baby. Bit of a surprise but whats one more going to matter haha.

We bought a piece of land last week and are hoping to start building on it next year which will be amazing. We are getting opportunities here which we could only dream of in the UK.

So for all those ready to start there new lives good luck to you all and I hope that everything runs smoothly for you like it has with us 👍

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Congratulations 6

24 minutes ago, Lavers said:

So it was a year today when we took a leap of faith and landed on Aussie soil for the 1st time. Me, my wife and 2 girls (10 & 4) at the time, no jobs, no house and didn't know anyone.

We landed in Melbourne to do our 2 week quarantine in the hope that the borders would open to SA, but unfortunately covid kicked off big time in Melbourne and we had to do another 2 weeks when we arrived in SA. Atleast this 2 weeks was in our airbnb so we had to clean and cook which made time go a little faster.

Upon leaving quarantine I managed to find a job in the 1st couple of days (which I'm still in) we also got the 1st rental we went for 👍.

So far life has been good in Aus, my daughters love it here and there is so much to do and see, the winter has probably dragged on more than I like, but still only like a UK autumn.

My wife has a casual job which goes well with school drop off and pick up, and she has a place at uni to do her degree in nursing which she was going to start next year until we found out that we are expecting an Aussie baby. Bit of a surprise but whats one more going to matter haha.

We bought a piece of land last week and are hoping to start building on it next year which will be amazing. We are getting opportunities here which we could only dream of in the UK.

So for all those ready to start there new lives good luck to you all and I hope that everything runs smoothly for you like it has with us 👍

Wow it's been a year already!  

I enjoyed reading about your year's experience in Adelaide.  You and your family seem to be forging ahead.  👍

Congratulations on your Aussie baby pregnancy.  😃

• Like 3

Love these posts from people to give a clue how things are going. Always knew you would do well and make a go of it, you were always positive and I think fairly laid back and take things as they come.

Great you found a job so quickly, I was out of work for 5 months when we came in 92. Lots of people out of work then though so never got too down about it. My wifes a nurse too so it took her about a week to find a job and keep us going. We were a bit like you, gave jobs up to come, never been before, told not to come to Perth by agencies, didn't know anyone here, families all still in the UK.

We are positive, adaptable people too though so love the place. Been everything we dreamed it might be.

Good luck with your house building, big step. Have you had the chance to see much more of Aus yet? I guess not with covid hanging round, not safe to go anywhere interstate. Our son is in lockdown in his apartment for 14 days as he went to Darwin to catch up with a friend at the weekend.

When things do open up there are some fabulous places to go without leaving the country. I've been lucky enough to travel a lot with my job. Loved Sydney but work were paying for all the bills and we were staying in Potts Point. The opera house is as spectacular as you think  and is right next to the botanic gardens. Walk round there you wouldn't know you were near a City.

Me and the wife love Queensland, we've been to the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Port Douglas, Cairns. Visited the great barrier reef when we were in Port Douglas, brilliant. So much to see and do in just about every place I've been.

Me and the wife had a couple of trips to Bali too. The hotels we stayed in were fantastic, people nice. Don't know if we will feel safe doing that for a long time yet but would love to go again. Great value from Perth.

All the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lavers said:

Relateable story. Congrats on the new bub and your amazing new opportunities! Roll on Spring! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lavers said:

53 years and counting here.  Looks like you’re off to a good start..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lavers said:

Great post and congratulations!

You might find after a few very hot summers that you discover a new appreciation for the “long” winters and start to even enjoy them. Coming from Scotland I never thought I’d feel that way, but I love winter in Perth now, as a short respite/change is scene from the beautiful hot weather the rest of the year. 

Good luck on your second year!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

You might find after a few very hot summers that you discover a new appreciation for the “long” winters and start to even enjoy them. Coming from Scotland I never thought I’d feel that way, but I love winter in Perth now, as a short respite/change is scene from the beautiful hot weather the rest of the year. 

I always looked forward to winter in Perth. I love the melancholy autumn.

I've only looked forward to winter once in the UK, and that was last year.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Love these posts from people to give a clue how things are going. Always knew you would do well and make a go of it, you were always positive and I think fairly laid back and take things as they come.

Great you found a job so quickly, I was out of work for 5 months when we came in 92. Lots of people out of work then though so never got too down about it. My wifes a nurse too so it took her about a week to find a job and keep us going. We were a bit like you, gave jobs up to come, never been before, told not to come to Perth by agencies, didn't know anyone here, families all still in the UK.

We are positive, adaptable people too though so love the place. Been everything we dreamed it might be.

Good luck with your house building, big step. Have you had the chance to see much more of Aus yet? I guess not with covid hanging round, not safe to go anywhere interstate. Our son is in lockdown in his apartment for 14 days as he went to Darwin to catch up with a friend at the weekend.

When things do open up there are some fabulous places to go without leaving the country. I've been lucky enough to travel a lot with my job. Loved Sydney but work were paying for all the bills and we were staying in Potts Point. The opera house is as spectacular as you think  and is right next to the botanic gardens. Walk round there you wouldn't know you were near a City.

Me and the wife love Queensland, we've been to the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Port Douglas, Cairns. Visited the great barrier reef when we were in Port Douglas, brilliant. So much to see and do in just about every place I've been.

Me and the wife had a couple of trips to Bali too. The hotels we stayed in were fantastic, people nice. Don't know if we will feel safe doing that for a long time yet but would love to go again. Great value from Perth.

All the best.

Not had chance to visit anywhere else in Aus yet, just wanted to sort a mortgage out etc before spending more money.

Will probably just do a few nights break away in SA 1st, wouldn't mind seeing the flinders and coober pedy.

Loads of places on our checklist in each state, so probably a good few years until we think of leaving the country for a holiday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lavers said:

Not had chance to visit anywhere else in Aus yet, just wanted to sort a mortgage out etc before spending more money.

Will probably just do a few nights break away in SA 1st, wouldn't mind seeing the flinders and coober pedy.

Loads of places on our checklist in each state, so probably a good few years until we think of leaving the country for a holiday.

If you’re going to Coober Pedy make sure you include Woomera.  The newly refurbished rocket park is definitely worth seeing. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I'm over it already, roll on spring.😆

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

I'm over it already, roll on spring.😆

It seems like spring here today.  Lovely day and the daffodils are starting to emerge.  July is our coldest month though so expecting a lot of very cold weather, wind and rain.  Brrr.

• 6 months later...
On 30/06/2021 at 13:46, Lavers said:

So it was a year today when we took a leap of faith and landed on Aussie soil for the 1st time. Me, my wife and 2 girls (10 & 4) at the time, no jobs, no house and didn't know anyone.👍

🙂

What an adventurous spirit you had 

Always helpful when venturing into the unknown 

You seem to have embraced the situation and thrived 

Some of the posts I am reading on this forum, are starting to depress me. So extremely negative, whingy, doom and gloom (unfortunately after spending a couple of hours reading some past posts,  very easy to see where the expression Whinging Pom comes from)

But your great positive attitude shines through

How refreshing to read

Best of luck for your future endeavours in building on your land.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BeachBabe2022 said:

Some of the posts I am reading on this forum, are starting to depress me. So extremely negative, whingy, doom and gloom

I agree there are a few really negative posters here (Blue Flu, I'm looking at you :)), but on the whole, I make a distinction between "negative" and "honest". 

When someone posts here, asking about bringing their family to Australia, I could easily answer by telling them it's all wonderful, but it wouldn't be responsible.  People come here to find out the facts, not to find cheerleaders.  I love my life in Australia but everyone is different, and it doesn't suit everyone.  

When I see a young single person, or a young couple with no kids, then I'm encouraging.  It's not going to cost them much to make the move, and they can easily pack their bags and go home again if it's not their cup of tea.  Nothing to lose, go for it. 

It's different for a family. Moving a family to Australia is a huge decision, unless you're wealthy.  By the time you've paid for the visa, sold your house, shipped your belongings, got settled and found jobs, most families are out of pocket by about £30,000.  That may be a big chunk of their life savings, so they want to know if they're making the right choice, and I would be doing them a disservice if I wasn't honest. 

For instance,  if I see someone posting that they're bringing their wife and four kids to Melbourne and looking forward to living in a nice house by the beach, it would be irresponsible if I didn't point out that a nice house by the beach will cost about $3 million.  And of course, the beaches in Melbourne are not like the ones they see in Home and Away, (nor is the weather!). 

90% of the people who come to these forums, asking about migration, have a starry-eyed vision of what Australia will be like.  You don't (or shouldn't) move your whole famliy halfway around the world on a pipe dream. Sad though it is, once you have a family, you need to stick to reality.  IMO, you need to know the downsides as well as the upsides.  If the downsides put you off, Australia was never the right choice in the first place.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BeachBabe2022 said:

🙂

Some of the posts I am reading on this forum, are starting to depress me. So extremely negative, whingy, doom and gloom (unfortunately after spending a couple of hours reading some past posts,  very easy to see where the expression Whinging Pom comes from)

There is a few isn't there (beauty of an open forum).  For me it's stating that this your opinion based on your experience and not to make assumptions about the person asking the question.  I wouldn't comment on living in Brisbane for example because i've only visited family there .    Don't be disheartened by the negative posts (hopefully they're countered by some positive ones). 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

90% of the people who come to these forums, asking about migration, have a starry-eyed vision of what Australia will be like. 

🙂

I blame excessive watching of Neighbours or Home & Away

I remember an old work colleague from the UK, being shocked to find out that it was cold in winter.

They were a massive fan of Neighbours, and assumed the sun shone every day.

13 minutes ago, BeachBabe2022 said:

🙂

I blame excessive watching of Neighbours or Home & Away

I remember an old work colleague from the UK, being shocked to find out that it was cold in winter.

They were a massive fan of Neighbours, and assumed the sun shone every day.

Exactly.  And we all have that in mind when we're answering questions. 

I had some funny reactions whenever I went back to Aberdeen for a holiday. For instance, I went to have my legs waxed and the beautician flatly refused to believe I lived in Australia, because I didn't have an allover tan...

Edited by Marisawright

39 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I agree there are a few really negative posters here (Blue Flu, I'm looking at you :)), but on the whole, I make a distinction between "negative" and "honest". 

🙂 

It is pretty easy to tell the difference between someone being negative and someone being honest 

Honest posts are helpful.......negative posts are boring, irritating and just drag you down. 

I have seen people asking for genuine help, then the post is locked because others are bickering or bashing, and way off subject. Must be a thankless task being a moderator on here

Think I need a mental health check after spending an hour on here!!

I am stuck at home nursing a hangover, and have spent a good hour reading some past posts. Gosh some of them are very depressing to read. So much complaining. Given this is a forum for migrating to Australia, I have been shocked at some of the negative Aussie bashing. Very bizarre, given the intention of this forum. 

So such an inspiring thrill to read such positively from the Lavers

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BeachBabe2022 said:

I won't be hopefully any longer, as I have just discovered you have a Block option 🙂 I already have one whinger on my list to add. 

Just to add another positive post from a poster who is a glass 1/2 full person.

We had been expats in Brunei for 10 years, and when my husband retired we decided to come to Australia for a bit more adventure as we weren’t ready for the roses round the door cottage life back in England. Our grown up children were all in UK, but it was our time to do what we wanted to do.

We are still here 19 years later, and not leaving. Of course there have been a few ups and downs, but that’s life anywhere. 2 of our children joined us here, and I have reconnected with the Africa side of my family who have all moved here. However my oldest son and only grandchildren are in UK, so like many my family is split.

We thoroughly enjoy our life here, made great friends, travelled lots around Australia, and anyone who says Australia is all the same everywhere has ventured very far.

Ignore some posters, honestly it’s like Groundhog Day reading some posters posts, there’s nothing wrong with giving  advice, as no one place suits everyone, but balance is needed.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 2