Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

  • Announcements

    • Cerberus1

      Christmas Theme   13/12/17

      A quick reminder that a festive forum theme is available for use. To select the theme, click the 'Theme' drop down box at the bottom of any of the forum pages, then select 'White Christmas'.


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Eera last won the day on August 4 2012

Eera had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

155 Excellent

About Eera

  • Rank
    PIO Chatter Box
  1. Maybe, but they asked to remove a carpet less than two years old and to paint a neutral home with red feature walls. I could have refused but I figured I'd let them make it more homely. And from experience I can tell you that renters are put off by bright colours so it's a condition that they restore the place to the same colour scheme when they move out (they've been there for four years now and have just renewed for another year. Obviously they don't feel *that* hard done by).
  2. I've allowed my tenants to replace carpet with wood veneer before, but they paid for it as there was nothing wrong with the carpet. Same with paint; I'm happy for my tenants to decorate as they see fit, as long as it's done to a high standard and they pay for it (and if it's a bright colour, they return the place to neutral at the end of the tenancy). If it really bothers you, approach the landlord, pay for it and be prepared to pay to return the place to as it was at the time you rented. Queensland has legislation that rentals must be fitted with an RCD, but as far as I'm aware NSW doesn't have anything mandating this.
  3. Car Vs Van

    A mate of mine used to run a youth hostel in Central Queensland; he picked up a few decent cars for next to nothing from backpackers who had bought them to travel in and were looking to offload them before flying home; he got a Pajero fourby with a boot full of camping gear for $3500 one time. If you're in a YHA you may have some luck that way.
  4. Shipping Bikes

    I brought my mountain bike over with virtually no prep; gave it a scrub down including the types, picked the obvious bits of grass out of the grease in the SPDs and that was pretty much it. They had a look at it but it got in fine.
  5. Termites

    Bear in mind too that often insurers don't cover the cost of termite damage; if you (for instance) lost your roof in a storm and the assessor picks up evidence of termites they may not pay out. When we sold my grandparent's house after they died as a part of the sale contract we had to replace the termite-affected timbers. You are in a position of negotiation but it depends on how receptive the vendors are.
  6. Does anybody ever....

    I'm the other way around: totally unaffected apart from when one little thing reminds me of the South Downs. I don't tend to miss friends - pragmatic enough to realise they've moved on just as I have - it's the actual area for some reason.
  7. Does anybody ever....

    Little things trigger me off; watching River Cottage is one of them, and when Portillo was on a train through the area I grew up I burst into tears at the dinner table. Not so much that I'd contemplate returning, more nostalgia for the areas where I lived when I had no worries in the world.
  8. Childcare costs

    As a rough guide, I paid $85 per day for long day care (commercial nursery), and currently $7.50 an hour for family day care. I'm not eligible for child care benefit as it's means tested, but I get 50% child care rebate up to $7500 per year per child, then I pay full fee (tends to kick in about mid-May and last until the end of financial year)and you have to meet certain requirements for either work hours or study. There's some changes going to be put in place with the rebate within the next couple of years. After school care is $25 for a three hour session including pick-up from school, the scheme I will be going to is also eligible for CCB/CCR, but some aren't. The amount you will end up paying is largely dependent on the pressure in your area. I know someone in Sydney who pays nearly $150 per day!
  9. When I worked in International Students in an academic registry we had a big fat book published by the British Council which converted every qualification from every other country into the equivalent UK qualification. They'd have the same sort of thing in Australia so don't worry too much; the university will have done it a million times before.
  10. Any suggestions as to how to send rolex watches?

    Yep. Rolex has made all sorts of styles including ticking hands, and even battery models. I have one that dates from the early 80s which has some of the features that you're told to look for as fakes: rolled steel in the wrist band and a small cyclops window are the two most notable. It's just how they made them 30 years ago and has been assessed as genuine by a dealer as I had my doubts. But anyway, to get back to the question by the OP. If you were to get it sent by post, you'd have to prove that it was owned by you and not just bought recently as Customs would hold on to it until you payed the assessed GST. I'd just wear it.
  11. Engineers Australia

    It's only us in Queensland who have to go through the rort that is RPEQ, and then it's if you are providing engineering advice; technically you need it, however, if you have someone in your company who can sign off as RPEQ if requested then you can get away without it. Chartership is a different matter - CPEng may be requested but it's normally phrased as "eligible for, or working towards" and possessing it on application is normally only a condition of employment in senior positions. RPEQ is granted by the Board of Professional Engineers in Queensland, not Engineers Australia - EA assess whether you meet the criteria for RPEQ in certain engineering professions, but not all (for example, AusIMM decides it for mining geotechnics, there are few other assessing bodies). It's a horribly confusing system that is not implemented in most of the states. If you are eligible for chartership you should not have any problems. There was talk a couple of years ago about implementing a similar system in other states; you'd get an RPEV in Victoria, for example. I don't know whether that eventuated.
  12. Any suggestions as to how to send rolex watches?

    Why not just wear them and have them as named items on insurance? My everyday watch is an Omega Speedmaster which goes with me whenever I travel; never been a hassle at all.
  13. Would you cancel?

    No. Pyongyang knows full well that it only takes one strike by the US and the whole country is effectively obliterated. We are going to Japan in the new year, of all the things that concern me it rates well below getting boarding for the cat.
  14. How did you decide on area?

    Went where I was offered a job, simple as that. Ended up in regional Queensland which in hindsight I should have looked in the first place (hate cities). Been here 13 years, married a bloke who also escaped the city and two kids later...
  15. Child care in Sydney and Surrounds

    I'll answer based on the advice of my best friend who has her own family daycare business. You may find criteria are different in various locations and schemes, as previously advised, check out what any particular scheme says as they are the ones to give you the best advice. 1)The formal qualifications you need largely depend on the scheme; mine expect their carer to be working towards Cert 3 in child care, though they don't need it to start. They require regular first aid certification with anaphylaxis response. Plus blue card 2)One carer is allowed 4 kids who are not of school age, and an additional three who attend school as after-hours and holiday care. Note any child of your own counts as one of these spot up to the age of 13. Also note that any child that comes into the house such as school friend counts towards these numbers and if you have a spot inspection and they find more children than you are authorised to have there, they will come down on you. 3) Many landlords will not allow childcare to be set up in their homes; my insurance specifically forbids it. Plus, you're in a flat. Not the ideal situation to have up to 7 kids stomping around. Your home needs a safety check and you basically have to pretty much do risk assessments for everything in it. 4) You can set that yourself. Price I pay is $7.50 per hour, per child. CCR / CCB subsidises that, and there's normally a family levy which the scheme takes. Cost depends on how much stuff you want to buy. 5) Get quotes. It will vary from area to area. 6) Yes. 7) Much as people think, it is not easy money. Certainly the scheme mine are in, the carers are expected on a daily basis to have targets for the children (sharing, imagination, etc) and the write a report for each child. Daily. there is also of masses of paperwork to deal with; risk assessments for everything, forms for every excursion, dealing with parents who can be pretty obnoxious. Your home is not your own and becomes a workplace, and you have to take into consideration nuisance complaints (especially in a rental unit!)