Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

15 Neutral

About kmrg

  • Rank

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Hi I am presuming that you will be doing shift work so may not have to worry to much about rush hour traffic. You will be going against the traffic out of town anyway so may not be too bad. I lived in Kensington which is just west of centre of Melbourne, some areas in the west which I think are nice are Williamstown, Yarraville, Newport, Seddon. It is depend on your budget.
  2. Sorry just realised if one parent is Australian then you won't need the citizenship certificate.
  3. I have just completed the process for both Australian and UK passport for a child. The UK one was very straight forward and all completed online, you can take your own photograph and upload which was very helpful when trying to take a photo of a baby! The only part which maybe tricky is finding a person in the UK to verify your ID as they need to be one of the occupations on the list eg teacher, doctor. The whole process only took about 3 weeks. Australian one is a bit more tricky as you need to request the citizenship certificate first before applying for the passport. On the website it says it can take up to 60 days for the application to be processed for the citizenship certificate but mine arrived within 2 weeks. Australian passport photos have stricter rules, and I had the photo taken professionally to ensure it was correct. The post office will check through the application and photos before sending off to check that it is all correct. Again once application sent off, the passport arrived within 2-3 weeks.
  4. Thanks for your repky. Ok so does that mean on the form the justice of the peace writes they have known the applicant for 0 months?
  5. Hi all, I have recently had a baby, who will be an Australian citizen as born in Australia to myself and my husband who are permanent residents. We will be travelling to the UK in September and I am about to apply for UK and Australian passports for him. The UK passport application looks fairly straightforward and allows the baby to have their eyes closed in the photograph which is great! However the Australian passport application appears a bit more complicated and I was wondering if their is anyone who has recently been through this process who could offer advice? My understanding is that in order to prove the baby's citizenship, I will need to apply for an Australian citizenship certificate before applying for the Australian passport? This is due to the fact that we are not Australian citizens ourselves. The application for the Australian Citizenship certificate requires form 1195 to be completed and identity confirmed through a photograph of the baby signed by someone who has known him for 12 months (or I presume from birth) However there is a list of people who can confirm the identity and I do not know anyone in Australia who has one of these occupations eg teacher, psychologist, justice of peace. I presume I can't just go to a Justice of the Peace and get them to sign the form and photo as they don't know me? Not sure what to do and I know if we just travel with UK passport for baby that this will cause problems when returning to Australia. Thanks in advance.
  6. kmrg

    Timeline Social Worker 189 visa grant

    Hi triciamce8, Yes I had to redo the writing component of the IELTS as I got 7.5 on the first go. I just did all the online practice papers and did quite a lot of study in the few weeks before to make sure I was prepared. I also found the listening difficult at first as you really have to concentrate to hear what is being said, but got used to it after a few practice goes. Yes, I got the 189 visa. When I arrived in 2017 I already had 4 years post qualifying experience and also had relevant experience from before I qualified so haven't found it difficult to find work at all. However it depends what type of work you would like to do, and I have found that most work is for 12 month contracts rather than permanent positions. It would probably be best if you could get a years post qualifying work experience first in the UK before coming over. My experience is in adults social work, I have worked three temporary contracts since I arrived as both hospital social worker and also as an NDIS support coordinator. Some of the adults roles here in Australia don't require a social work degree, particularly in the disability sector. However I have found even for roles which don't require a social work degree I am being paid more than I was in the UK for qualified Social Worker roles.
  7. Very interested in this, as we are planning on flying back to Uk in September with what will then be a 3 month old baby. We were not planning on travelling so soon but a wedding has come up which we don't want to miss. Friends have advised that it's better to fly when baby less than 6 months as they will sleep more. Hoping this is the reality!
  8. kmrg

    Living in NZ on Oz PR

    I was just looking this up today. It stated if you are a permanent resident in Australia you have the right to live and work in New Zealand. What is not clear to me is if you move to NZ before you become an Australian citizen, could you return to Australia at a later date or would you need to apply for a resident return visa??
  9. kmrg

    Almost a year! Skills assessment

    Hi sorry I have realised my information may be out of date as I have been here 18 months now, they must have changed the process. That is a very long wait, even with the 32 weeks it is still delayed. I have been living in Melbourne, but recently moved up to mid north NSW coast. I am a social worker for adults, the system here is very different. Let me know if you have any questions.
  10. kmrg

    Almost a year! Skills assessment

    That seems unusual, mine took 12 weeks. Have you tried to call and check up on why there is a delay?
  11. kmrg

    3 months back in the UK

    Hi Tricky, out of interest what is your profession?
  12. kmrg

    Any practicing Social Workers out there?

    Hi I am a Social Worker working in hospital SW in Victoria, but about to move to NSW. I would say that the majority of jobs are advertised on SEEK and you can also look directly on the local health authority / hospital websites. I just set up alerts to email me when jobs came up. In my experience there are quite a lot of jobs out there you just may need to go in on a lower level job to get experience, eg. if you are currently supervising staff in UK it maybe easier to just go for a standard SW role here whilst you build up your local knowledge. The only issue I am aware of is that as well as having the AASW assessment for migration purposes I also needed another assessment by AASW stating I was eligible for membership before I could start in my role. Good luck
  13. kmrg

    Timeline Social Worker 189 visa grant

    Sorry I meant 12 months from Police check!
  14. kmrg

    Timeline Social Worker 189 visa grant

    Hi You have 12 months from the date of the visa grant. I went over for a holiday to activate the visa at end of 2016 and then moved over here fully in July 2017. 70 points is a high score so hopefully you won't need to wait too long for an invitation to apply.
  15. kmrg

    remarking ielts

    Hi wahid, Yes it took the full 6 weeks that they stated it might take. So if you are on a tight time frame it might be worth booking another test as well.