Things you miss about Britain

HappyHeart

4 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Sounds great. Never able to afford it though.

Not sure why. There is free camping a number of countries for starters. Norway and Scotland for example. Have camped for free in coastal and inland areas of Portugal. Same for Greece, but may not be allowed these days. There are countless road side stop overs where easy enough to get a kip without being bothered through out France and Germany. Obviously far harder to keep travel costs down to the levels of ease of forty years ago, but found it easily enough doable. There are some great camping sites as well to put up a tent in many Euro countries. 

20 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

You can certainly buy Scotch Eggs over here. I haven't bought one in many years, but did on a fairly regular basis back in time. Saying that while haven't been searching them out , I can't say I've noticed them over recent years. Lack of interest? Or just not noticing? No idea. 

I guess your teaching one of the smarter classes , being able to string a sentence together as such?

Yes, and hopefully they all know the difference between your and you're 😄 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Not sure why. There is free camping a number of countries for starters. Norway and Scotland for example. Have camped for free in coastal and inland areas of Portugal. Same for Greece, but may not be allowed these days. There are countless road side stop overs where easy enough to get a kip without being bothered through out France and Germany. Obviously far harder to keep travel costs down to the levels of ease of forty years ago, but found it easily enough doable. There are some great camping sites as well to put up a tent in many Euro countries. 

Would have meant quiting work for a kickoff, no work no income, never really an option when we were young.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toots said:

Husband and I did all that before leaving the UK to come to Australia.  I showed him where I had worked for the 2.5 years (3 different countries) then we went to Finland and all the way down to Morocco and Tunisia.  Our trusty old VW bus never let us down.  I'm glad we did it then as I have no inclination to do any of that anymore.  

Never been to Finland but must be a great country for rough camping or parking a van free anywhere in the forest or around there numerous lakes. I recall the days when it was an Aussie/Kiwi rite of passage to purchase a van outside Australia House later moved elsewhere due to traffic congestion. 

The annoying thing with Euro driving in countries like France and Portugal is the traffic. (besides some of the driving) It takes so long to get anywhere at least to popular destinations. Easy to forget the negatives . 

38 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Would have meant quiting work for a kickoff, no work no income, never really an option when we were young.

Always made time somehow for travel. But in the day, it was easy to pack in a job and pick up another on return.  What was always hard in London was the finding of a flat . That and suitable flat mates. 

4 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Never been to Finland but must be a great country for rough camping or parking a van free anywhere in the forest or around there numerous lakes. I recall the days when it was an Aussie/Kiwi rite of passage to purchase a van outside Australia House later moved elsewhere due to traffic congestion. 

The annoying thing with Euro driving in countries like France and Portugal is the traffic. (besides some of the driving) It takes so long to get anywhere at least to popular destinations. Easy to forget the negatives . 

I drove in France a couple of years ago. Picked the car up from the Eurostar station and were staying in Avignon. What a nightmare finding parking to get into the walled City there, we were staying at a hotel inside. Apart from that we stayed in a gite near L'isle sur la surge and the roads weren't too bad round there, none of us spoke French, that would have been a help.

15 hours ago, newjez said:

The NHS ones look identical to the ones my father paid a fortune for with his hbf private medical insurance.

Perhaps things have improved over the last few years.  The nhs one was quite small but the one she paid her was smaller and nicer.  If they’re the same then good but if not treat yourself if it’s important. 

Edited by Tulip1

6 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I went to Benidorm with 3 friends I'd been at school with when I was 16. None of us had been abroad before. Thought we'd landed in heaven, first night sat there with a litre pot of beer, cheaper than a pint in the UK, girls galore, getting about in skimpy gear, topless bathing, no closing times. A 16 year olds idea of Utopia. Learnt to waterski that holiday too.

Those days I was living at home with Mum and Dad and giving my Mum about 5 bob board and went abroad with mates every holiday I had. Think we went to Scarborough once, or Skeggy, didn't quite have the same vibe.😁

Just been watching the comedy series Benidorm, it’s funny in parts and also cringe worthy in parts, not my idea of a holiday to be honest even at 18, I was 32 before going abroad for a weeks holiday in skiathos

• Like 1

13 hours ago, newjez said:

My mum used to do that. It's really not quite the same as mint sauce. 

Although to be honest I'm a bit of a horseradish man.

I got it off my mum , not sure what you mean it’s not the same as mint sauce, sorry confused.

23 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Why is a place where there's nothing to do but play golf or go to the beach always clasified as "the ideal retirement spot"?  My idea of utter boredom.

Each to their own , I live on a golf course but don’t play have no intention of either , just enjoy the quality of landscape the local wildlife and club facilities here. 
oh and the cellar doors 2 min away 🍷

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Just been watching the comedy series Benidorm, it’s funny in parts and also cringe worthy in parts, not my idea of a holiday to be honest even at 18, I was 32 before going abroad for a weeks holiday in skiathos

Brilliant place Benidorm it's got everything. Shows at night for the kids and €1 a pint in places 🤪.

Old Town for the older lot then the new town for all the young ones.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

So you pop beer or win in your trolley in Coles or Woolies?  When I was in Perth 17 years ago now it was a separate bottle shop next door to the Supermarket.

I was thinking Aldi and our local Coles had alcohol on the shelves but now separate. Service station in the CBD used to sell alcohol until demolished for ‘development’.  Every corner shop sells alcohol, doubt they’d survive if they didn’t. 

What I miss most about Britain are the friends and family I have there....   oh and the history of everything.  I lived in Sussex in a small town and was surrounded by historical buildings and gardens, and just history.   I do miss that and when I wemt back for a visit, it was the first thing I needed to connect with, along with the family and friends I miss.  Those family and friends have all come and visited me in Oz many times over the years though.  Any food I loved I create for myself... I never was a beer lover, so that wasn't on the cards.    Being in my mid 70's and with covid being what it is, I guess I will never go back to Britain again, but that is OK as I actually don't want to visit there again and want to remember it as it was the last time I visited in 2015.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

So you pop beer or win in your trolley in Coles or Woolies?  When I was in Perth 17 years ago now it was a separate bottle shop next door to the Supermarket.

Still is seperate shop.

Edited by Rallyman

8 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I went to Benidorm with 3 friends I'd been at school with when I was 16. None of us had been abroad before. Thought we'd landed in heaven, first night sat there with a litre pot of beer, cheaper than a pint in the UK, girls galore, getting about in skimpy gear, topless bathing, no closing times. A 16 year olds idea of Utopia. Learnt to waterski that holiday too.

Those days I was living at home with Mum and Dad and giving my Mum about 5 bob board and went abroad with mates every holiday I had. Think we went to Scarborough once, or Skeggy, didn't quite have the same vibe.😁

Nice😀. That takes me back.

My mates and I did ( and saw) all those things. Oh to be 16 again. Five of us, all school friends, would go into the city, as the eldest mate had a drivers license and a Holden Premier V8 with a carton of beer in the backseat. Though there were girls galore we were too young to be coming on to them but were happy to be asking them how they went in their Year Ten exams! 😍.         

10 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I hear that so often but in reality, when you live there, it's just a place to live with pretty average weather and too many people.

How many times does your average working class person go to Europe? Maybe once a year for a guaranteed sunshine and beach holiday for a couple of weeks. Either that or a couple of weeks snow skiing if you like that.

Then start saving up for the next year. I had nearly 40 years living there and oonce I started going abroad, about 16, I spent the rest of my working life saving up for the next holiday.

I think this was true up until 25 years or so ago, but the opening of the Eurotunnel along with the introduction of regular cheap flights to Europe has made a difference and as fares became relatively cheaper the choice of destination expanded considerably. It's not unusual now for people to book a few days in Europe to celebrate birthdays anniversaries or just as a short break. And without breaking the bank most of our friends seem to have a main overseas holiday as well as several long weekends away either in Europe or the UK. Not so much in recent months of course but UK cottages and holiday lets are currently experiencing a boom in bookings which, in view of the consequences of the global pandemic, is a bonus for the local economy and possibly our health too. I appreciate however that not everyone is able to find the joy in a wet and cold weekend in the middle of a UK winter, or summer for that matter! T x