Things you miss about Britain

HappyHeart

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Ah, let's not go there!   Living in Italy was my first suggestion when we thought of going overseas, because that is his favourite country.  However, my husband was very worried about getting stuck in an expat enclave--whether pretentious arty-farty types in somewhere like Florence, or English bogans (chavs?) in Spain.  He didn't see any way of escaping an expat lifestyle and living like a local, because he has never been good at languages (I've always suspected he is slightly deaf or has some other kind of hearing impediment, which he wont admit). 

I guess it comes down to "finding your tribe" which you allude to in your other post.  He didn't think we'd stand much chance of finding our tribe in a European city due to the language barrier. 

And I should mention, it would've had to be a city.    One thing I learned from our stay in the UK is that we are happiest in a large, bustling metropolis.  That's something that is slowly starting to change as we approach 70, though.

I'm slightly deaf in my left ear. I've lost a specific part of the hearing range. My wife often accuses me of not listening. I point out I'm slightly deaf and she counters with "no your not, you just don't listen".

She does it with colours too. Now I just say, "shall I explain colour blindness to you again?"

Passes the time I guess.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

I honestly don't think I could.cope with the cold in the UK again..It's another level. I certainly don't miss it and the last trip back at Christmas 2014  put pay to any nostalgic yearnings for the chill and snow. It was nice as a novelty. We're extremely cold here at 13d and that's a decent Spring day there. Ive developed Reynauds in Winter over the last few years so heaven knows how bad it'd be over there. 

No I don’t think I could cope with it now ( been here in Oz 11 years now) nothing beats the sun on your back , far easier to cool down in work than get warm when chilled to the bone.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

I guess it depends on the time of life we are talking about. When younger what I missed after a year back in Australia, was for want of another word the tribalism clearly on display in UK. Well England anyway. It wasn't as I suppose individual and easier to find 'your tribe' be that in music, sport , hobbies and so on. Just an observation on my part anyway from the eyes of an early twenties something. 

These days it would be more choice. Easier access. More to do. As for individual items besides some pubs with an atmosphere , especially on a summers day, not too much. 

Certainly the chocolate is on another level.  I occasionally miss a simple greasy spoon cafe for a Full English with mugs of hot steaming tea and a copy of The Observer . The differing sound of English voices and accents. The walkability of cities like London combined with a great, though expensive public transport system, the ability to live at least in London, without a car. The wonderful opportunities to ramble long distances , rather like the English seaside , the friendliness of the people in places like Newcastle and their ability to chat readily with a stranger. Obviously the train with the ability to be in Paris in a few hours. National Express coaches for operating a wonderful net work across the British Isles/Europe at very reasonable prices. 

Obviously The NHS. Still up there and holding its own (just) even with countless government austerity measures. English sense of homour. It just can't be beaten once understood. Obviously there are a few things that don't miss. But that isn't the question posed.

I actually hate walking around London. To cross every road you have to go through multiple sets of pedestrian lights, it takes twice as long to get anywhere. But I would like to take a double decker bus around London. I've been in a double decker, but never in London. I always use the tube.

9 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Really? 
nice not having the inconvenience of a wall ruined with a radiator. 

Column radiators are pretty common as they take up less space, but I would love underfloor heating. It is a pain planning a room around radiators. And so many people stick them under Windows, which doesn't seem logical to me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Ah, let's not go there!   Living in Italy was my first suggestion when we thought of going overseas, because that is his favourite country.  However, my husband was very worried about getting stuck in an expat enclave--whether pretentious arty-farty types in somewhere like Florence, or English bogans (chavs?) in Spain.  He didn't see any way of escaping an expat lifestyle and living like a local, because he has never been good at languages (I've always suspected he is slightly deaf or has some other kind of hearing impediment, which he wont admit). 

I guess it comes down to "finding your tribe" which you allude to in your other post.  He didn't think we'd stand much chance of finding our tribe in a European city due to the language barrier. 

And I should mention, it would've had to be a city.    One thing I learned from our stay in the UK is that we are happiest in a large, bustling metropolis.  That's something that is slowly starting to change as we approach 70, though.

A shame that you didn't give it at least a try. There are ex pat enclaves and areas where just enough ex pats live to oil the Integration process without diving into the deep end unable to swim. But remember expat enclaves are made up of other nationalities other than English as well. Loads of Germans, Dutch, Norwegians and Swedish who most all speak English. My partner favours Italy as well. I'm more Portugal/parts of Spain, but Malta was one place we initially both could agree on, at least at the initial stage of research through visiting. Three trips later that does not remain a feasible option. But Europe  will remain an option never the less. 

1 hour ago, Rallyman said:

No chance in uk it would freeze up 

We have an invented water cylinder in the garage. I'm not sure how it works but you can have the washing machine on, water the garden and have both showers running without loss of pressure or heat.

Much better than my last house. We had three showers but you could only run one at a time, and if anyone turned on a tap when you were in the shower you got a shot of cold or hot water.

All the pipes in the garage are fully lagged, and I can turn a heater on in there if  it gets silly cold.

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

This resonates with me because it's what we've found in Melbourne.  Not a greasy spoon (thank God!) but an Italian café, lingering over an English breakfast with delicious coffee and the newspaper.  Having a wide choice of ways to take a leisurely walk home through leafy streets full of Georgian and Victorian architecture, their gardens bursting with olives and lemons and pomegranates thanks to the Italian and Greek migrants of the fifties. We've been here for five years and felt no need for a car - where we live, we have the choice of two tram lines and three bus services within minutes, and two train lines within fifteen minutes' walk.  Although we have bought a car this year because of the lockdowns.  I've also found Melburnians to be very friendly, something I worried about before I arrived (after the frosty reception I got in Hampshire, I was beginning to think I was the problem not everyone else, and feared I'd make no friends in Melbourne either!).

I used to ramble but that was because of my first husband's enthusiasm.  I have a horror of mud and creepy-crawlies so I am much happier rambling cityscapes and civilised parks!  The one thing I do miss is long walks by the sea.

I guess Melbourne remains in many measurements the most desirable city in Australia. But in the English context, I always found it difficult to select a city outside of London to live. Brighton came closet , but places like Norwich found very hard to break the ice. I guess similar to your Southampton experience. Since leaving England took the opportunity to stay a time in Newcastle and what a difference. I've heard same said about Sheffield as well but not yet been. They would likely be my choices if lived in England that could easily afford. 

What I miss is how things are close in England. Don't think I mentioned that. A day to Oxford or Canterbury or Brighton or Portsmouth. Same applies for much of Europe as well. Quite possibly we tend to feel it more living in Perth. 

2 hours ago, Rallyman said:

It gets cool at night here in the Hunter with the odd frost but always warms up to around 17/18 in winter , I certainly don’t miss working in 1-2 degrees all day or sleet and rain. 

Yes worked outdoors for a few years in the UK.  Fine at any time of the year except winter.  Lots of sleet and snow during winter when I worked in the Lake District and lots of cold rain too.  Also worked a winter in Norfolk.  Wasn't quite as bad as the Lake District - much drier but lots of snow.  Had a  lovely white Christmas that year.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

I guess Melbourne remains in many measurements the most desirable city in Australia. But in the English context, I always found it difficult to select a city outside of London to live. Brighton came closet , but places like Norwich found very hard to break the ice. I guess similar to your Southampton experience. Since leaving England took the opportunity to stay a time in Newcastle and what a difference. I've heard same said about Sheffield as well but not yet been. They would likely be my choices if lived in England that could easily afford. 

What I miss is how things are close in England. Don't think I mentioned that. A day to Oxford or Canterbury or Brighton or Portsmouth. Same applies for much of Europe as well. Quite possibly we tend to feel it more living in Perth. 

You would.  Here there are so many villages and small towns not to mention places of interest within 2 hours.  

8 hours ago, newjez said:

I'm slightly deaf in my left ear. I've lost a specific part of the hearing range. My wife often accuses me of not listening. I point out I'm slightly deaf and she counters with "no your not, you just don't listen".

She does it with colours too. Now I just say, "shall I explain colour blindness to you again?"

Passes the time I guess.

Actually, I tell a lie! It's my right ear.

I should probably see if I can get hearing aids. They are free on the NHS. I don't normally notice it, but if I'm in a pub or similar environment I can't understand what anyone is saying.

On 29/05/2021 at 19:20, HappyHeart said:

Oooh good one, Australian radio is complete trash. I relate fully to your description..I often scroll through all available stations in vain hope of something, anything. Often I resort to classic fm.  We stream local UK stations sometimes. Very refreshing. The Australian SOH is not very 'evolved' as a rule...

Has UK radio improved dramatically then? I remember tuning into radio caroline and Luxembourg because UK radio was so crap. What I find here is they try and cater for different tastes. Mostly I have the MMM rock station on in the car, they have a country station, soft rock and then all the crap stations where the DJ's love the sound of their own voice.

Luckily we have  sonos system at home so stream anything we want. I've found some excellent American blues and rock stations and Sonos have a live rock channel. Funnily enough they have a German DJ but he doesn't speak very much.

10 hours ago, newjez said:

I should probably see if I can get hearing aids. They are free on the NHS. I don't normally notice it, but if I'm in a pub or similar environment I can't understand what anyone is saying.

My wife got hearing aids a couple of years back. They are pretty high tech (should be, they cost about 4 grand) TBH she hardly uses them. I think they make work a bit better but when we're in a crowd she says the background noise just gets amplified.

On 30/05/2021 at 09:26, HappyHeart said:

In WA there’s no booze in the supermarket. It’s a separate bottle shop. 
British chocolate tastes better. Lower melting point. My personal preference. 
No hundreds of years old pubs in my neck of the woods. 
PS: it’s not a competition. 

It's always a competition HH , you know that😄

On 30/05/2021 at 10:01, Marisawright said:

We had a timeshare on the Algarve for years and went there a lot in summer. Loved it and thought we could have settled there. Obviously language barrier, getting a job put us off. When we thought about coming here and read that the coastline and climate here is close to the Algarve that swung it for us😎

On 30/05/2021 at 10:13, Marisawright said:

It's funny how often this comes up, and I can't let it pass.  Brits are NOT friendlier than Aussies, and Aussies are NOT friendlier than Brits.  It depends on what part of the country you are in.   I found Hampshire people very unfriendly (unless they were Polish).

I'm from Chesterfield originally, where you seemed to know and chat to 80% of people when you went out, specially Friday nights.

Then lived in Manchester, nearer Stockport where people were still very friendly and loved a chat.

Then had a job in London where hardly anyone spoke and everyone seemed to be in a rush. Luckily I was staying in Teddington which had a nice pyb by the River Thames. Go out into London and I didn't like it one bit. Too busy, unfriendly. Glad to get back to Manchester at weekends. Stuck it for about a year as the money was good and I got a company car.

14 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Why can you not buy Scotch Eggs over here?? To quote one of my students, "It's just sooooooo retarded!"

You can certainly buy Scotch Eggs over here. I haven't bought one in many years, but did on a fairly regular basis back in time. Saying that while haven't been searching them out , I can't say I've noticed them over recent years. Lack of interest? Or just not noticing? No idea. 

I guess your teaching one of the smarter classes , being able to string a sentence together as such?.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

We had a timeshare on the Algarve for years and went there a lot in summer. Loved it and thought we could have settled there. Obviously language barrier, getting a job put us off. When we thought about coming here and read that the coastline and climate here is close to the Algarve that swung it for us😎

I used to spend a lot of time in Portugal and thought it as an ideal retirement spot. Work wise not great as checked that out. Not a big fan of The Algarve but so many places in the regions very affordable at the time and most Portuguese learn English, especially these days to allow plenty of time to learn the basics of the language, which is not easy to speak. Hard to compare the coastline really. Portugal has some wonderful coastal locations with lots of charm and coves and beaches. One of the best surf beaches in Europe is in Nazare I place often stayed. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

It's always a competition HH , you know that😄

I suspect it isn't so much a competition, but what one does better. Australia for climate (unless disliking heat) beaches, water sports, open roads, UK for inside things around culture and history. Probable location although not too much wriggle room in that unless a Europhile , is cheaper for foods and clothes and better selection, but wages often lower outside of financial industry.  

I think what is hard to beat with the UK is our proximity to things. It feels like we are a global hub, in the middle of everything. The biggest draw card as others have mentioned is Europe, which cannot be beaten anywhere in the world for diversity, history or culture. If you love Africa, that's not far away. If you love New York that's, what, about 7 hours. That's why so many Aussies come to London (which in itself is a world in one city), and don't want to leave because they are suddenly on the cusp of everything. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

You can certainly buy Scotch Eggs over here. I haven't bought one in many years, but did on a fairly regular basis back in time. Saying that while haven't been searching them out , I can't say I've noticed them over recent years. Lack of interest? Or just not noticing? No idea. 

I guess your teaching one of the smarter classes , being able to string a sentence together as such?.  

I've never seen them here. Maybe in the specialty British bakery? I was a bit obsessed  with them in the uk and those little mini ones with chopped up egg mayo inside. Yes- the variety of ready and convenience food/meals and snack foods is far superior in the UK...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, newjez said:

The nhs ones are a bit chunky although nothing like they used to be.  Actually they’ve come on a lot but still nhs I guess. If you want the tiny ones that are barely noticeable then you’ll have to pay for them.  I only know that because about 4 years ago my mum got some. She didn’t like the look of the nhs ones and even at almost 80 it bothered her that they could be seen. She paid £1600 for these tiny ones.  They ended up gathering dust as she never remembered to put them in and even when reminded to she said they were fiddly. I think she wore them twice.