Has anyway delayed or postponed their move to in light of the corona pandemic ?

North to South

19 hours ago, ali said:

21 cases related to one flight from Doha

Oh that's a worry!  Havent the passengers had there temperatures checked before boarding the flight?? I thought that was what had to be done anyway?  This will have serious consequences for future arrivals into Australia. 😔😔😔

2 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

Oh that's a worry!  Havent the passengers had there temperatures checked before boarding the flight?? I thought that was what had to be done anyway?  This will have serious consequences for future arrivals into Australia. 😔😔😔

They never checked temperatures when we flew.

This is the reason they are all doing qaurantine though so it should be expected. We where all treated as if we had it all the way through our qaurantine.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

You could still by asymptomatic when boarding a flight, I think Lavers said there is multiple testing whilst in quarantine 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RosieH11 said:

I hope you get to retire in 10 years 🙂 your wife will love Australia im sure 

The line, "the husband/wife is reluctant to move, but I'm sure he/she'll just love Australia" has been responsible for untold misery.   If there's one thing this forum has taught me, it's that for the majority of people, the sense of "belonging" that comes from living in your own country is far more important than the superficial trappings of "the good life" in Australia.  To be a truly happy migrant, you need to be a nomad (like me) - otherwise, no matter how good life is, there will always be a lurking sense of "something missing" which taints everything.   It's broken up a lot of relationships!  

I'm sure it doesn't apply to Wanderer Returns, though.  Provided there's a community from his wife's home country where they're going, she'll no doubt be fine. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:
1 hour ago, rammygirl said:
People in the UK are travelling abroad for holidays now. My Nephew and his family are holidaying in Turkey at the moment. 

Great to hear. Folks back home have had it tough. They deserve a break - literally!

I think they're mad.  Time will tell

• Like 6

1 hour ago, rammygirl said:

People in the UK are travelling abroad for holidays now. My Nephew and his family are holidaying in Turkey at the moment. 

Risky. Wouldn't be doing it myself. My nephew is going to Ibiza in August. My Sister is worried but he's in his mid 20's so she'll just have to hope he's OK. Might even get cancelled if things carry on getting worse in Spain.

• Like 1

I think people flying out on holiday right now are crazy. Lots of Spain is back in lockdown. There’s been problems along the strip in Magaluf. Lots of young Brits there as usual and no social distancing. All the usual drinking all day/night and no doubt sleeping with as many people as you possibly can. Nothing wrong with that in normal times if it’s your thing but it’s going to lead to disaster. They’ve got more than STI’s to worry about catching this year. My friends daughter is going to Berlin with her boyfriend just because they fancy it. I guess they’re not doing anything wrong as they’re allowed to travel now but it’s madness in my eyes. I wouldn’t right now. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I think people flying out on holiday right now are crazy. Lots of Spain is back in lockdown. There’s been problems along the strip in Magaluf. Lots of young Brits there as usual and no social distancing. All the usual drinking all day/night and no doubt sleeping with as many people as you possibly can. Nothing wrong with that in normal times if it’s your thing but it’s going to lead to disaster. They’ve got more than STI’s to worry about catching this year. My friends daughter is going to Berlin with her boyfriend just because they fancy it. I guess they’re not doing anything wrong as they’re allowed to travel now but it’s madness in my eyes. I wouldn’t right now. 

Still, hardly anyone in their age group is haveing anything other than minor symptoms, so you can't expect them to stay isolated for ever.

• Like 1

On 17/04/2020 at 17:07, Sunseeker20 said:

Due to move in July...the idea was to let the kids finish their school year.  I have a job in Oz to start 1st Aug.  Sold our U.K. home and currently in rental.  Partner resigned and will likely be on furlough for rest of notice period until end of June.  I’m a key worker so still working.  2 removal firms we got quote from now closed, the third has upped their quote by nearly £1000!!  We need to book flights that tie in with removals.  As it currently stands will have to do 2w quarantine on arrival in Melbourne then another 2w in Hobart (we are migrating to tas).  Currently thinking we will need to leave end of June to make my job start deadline but it’s really scary with 2 kids as well not knowing what the situation will be when we get there.  If they relax quarantine where do we stay if hotels all closed?  Airbnb’s shut so can only get a proper rental so how do we managed in an unfurnished apartment for weeks until our stuff arrives if shops are shut??

no point staying in U.K. now house sold and jobs resigned.......

You are probably paying for storage as there is a backlog at the ports...We just found out we need to pay 2 weeks storage... 

We were due to leave end of April but are hoping end of August now. It's so worrying with no direct flights, quarantine and kids!

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Still, hardly anyone in their age group is haveing anything other than minor symptoms, so you can't expect them to stay isolated for ever.

That’s very true if we are only talking about the individuals. The problem is those young people will have family, friends and work colleagues that may not fair so well. They may feel just fine getting it but when they pass it onto their favourite granny who then dies they will suddenly feel far from fine.  They’re not doing anything they’re not allowed to do, I’ve made a point of saying that. We cannot pretend though that by acting in a way that makes you more likely to get it, you are putting others at risk. If everyone did that we’d be in a far worse state than we currently are.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

...so they come back infected and infect everyone else.    And it's not just the elderly they should be worrying about.  There's more and more evidence that even if you have only mild symptoms, there's hidden damage that will come back to bite you later on - and that's at any age. I'm not going to quote statistics because the studies are ongoing so the numbers change, but it's getting more and more worrying.

On 20/07/2020 at 00:12, RosieH11 said:

Thank you I hope so too! My partner and I are defiantly the you never know until you try types, i know the grass is greener on the other side 😄 or at least it was 3 years ago.... maybe its not anymore!! I have no clue what FOMO means 😄 i'm not that young unfortunately!!

I hope you get to retire in 10 years 🙂 your wife will love Australia im sure 

Thank you @RosieH11. As a matter of interest (and general nosiness), why did you return to the UK? Joining the dots, I'm guessing that you'd had your PR a couple of years before you went back. Wouldn't it've been worth hanging on to get your citizenship first, before going back to the UK?

Oh, FOMO... Fear Of Missing Out! 😄 

On 20/07/2020 at 06:02, Aussiebird said:

It depends on the airline, but my wife said she had her temperature checked before she flew with Qatar. It's been reported widely (by the less-sensational media outlets) that 8 out of 10 people who test positive have no symptoms whatsoever. Temperature checking is a fairly unreliable screening process, and the reason the government have been relying on quarantine on arrival.

I think this post has gone a bit off-topic, but as we're on the subject, there's been a lot of hysteria generated by the media which we should probably take with a pinch of salt.

Hi im jumping into the topic, I have my SC189 visa on which travel facility ends in Nov 2020 and therefore need to get into Aus by the due date. Planning to fly in Oct mid. However, have been following updates that now the Govt is putting restrictions on number of incoming passengers as well as we need to bear the cost of quarantine althought we can request for waiver. 

Will be interested to know if anyone has planned flights in next few days / weeks

• Like 1

If 'planning to fly' means you haven't booked yet, then I'd planned to fly a lot earlier than a couple of weeks before my visa ran out. Based on what is currently happening down in Victoria there's unlikely to be lifting of restrictions any time soon, and seats on planes could possibly become even scarcer. I say 'seats on planes' rather than flights because having a confirmed reservation is no guarantee that you'll get on a plane at the moment. If you are serious about getting here before your visa runs out, then try and get here as soon as you can - and good luck!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

If 'planning to fly' means you haven't booked yet, then I'd planned to fly a lot earlier than a couple of weeks before my visa ran out. Based on what is currently happening down in Victoria there's unlikely to be lifting of restrictions any time soon, and seats on planes could possibly become even scarcer. I say 'seats on planes' rather than flights because having a confirmed reservation is no guarantee that you'll get on a plane at the moment. If you are serious about getting here before your visa runs out, then try and get here as soon as you can - and good luck!

Thank you - i have booked and had to cancel twice in April and May due to cancellation of flight and closure of airport. Very much agree to you on seats on the plane. 

Emirates advised me that i need to wait until 15 Aug. Me and my family are almost set to fly. So hopefully not wait until Oct.

• Like 1

On 27/06/2020 at 23:02, Sunseeker20 said:

We are on the last few days’ countdown now; depart London on Thursday, arrive Melbourne on Friday.

I should feel excited but it’s stressful!  We are 3 citizens plus a 309/100 visa holder.  I think we’ve got our plans sorted but the goalposts keep moving and the rules are confusing.  However no going back now as we will be homeless once we’ve returned the keys to our rental.

fingers crossed x

Hi Sunseeker,

Did you all have to apply for G2G passes to be able to fly to Australia?

Hope your settling in well!