Has anyway delayed or postponed their move to in light of the corona pandemic ?

North to South

4 minutes ago, JInOz said:

Hi @AliQ; have you heard any further news on your flight status to Brisbane with Singapore Airlines ?

Our agent says the flight is going. The flight is now showing on Singapore Airlines website, and is taking bookings for this date and route.

But, Singapore Airlines have not released their flight schedule for August yet, it still only shows the schedule for July, so I'm not getting too excited, just yet !

41 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Yes there were quite a few announcements, i think they started early March when the' poop started to hit the fan'.

Cal x

Yes, there were, and we actually had flights booked for March BUT the UK then stopped !

No removalist's were working and all car sales rooms were all closed.

We could not just walk out of a house and leave all our belongings, and a car, behind in the UK !

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AliQ said:

Yes, there were, and we actually had flights booked for March BUT the UK then stopped !

No removalist's were working and all car sales rooms were all closed.

We could not just walk out of a house and leave all our belongings, and a car, behind in the UK !

What a nightmare, i really do feel for you

Cal x

3 minutes ago, calNgary said:

What a nightmare, i really do feel for you

Cal x

Thanks calNgary, yes, it's been awful.

We just want to get home but we seem to take one step forward and two steps back.

• Like 1

@AliQ, @Brizzie, @JInOz and anyone who is planning to fly out in the next month or so, I'd seriously be looking at Plan B right now. If they can't get Victoria under control then expect a lot more knee-jerk reactions from the government. Most of the Premiers have already stated that they want a cap on incoming international passenger numbers. Flights into Sydney are limited to 50 passengers at the moment. Your flight may not have been cancelled yet, but you could turn up at the airport only to be told there's no seat on the plane for you - a far worse scenario! I'm a member of an 'Australians in quarantine' group in Facebook, and this is already happening. They are also changing the rules on quarantine on a daily basis - it's a complete nightmare. If you need to get here before your visa(s) expires then you'll have to chance it, but if you can move your relocation back until all this settles down without too much hassle then it's really worth considering.

Edited by Wanderer Returns
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lavers said:

I agree we are all just glad that we have made it over here.

Otherwise it could possibly have been another 12months in the UK.

Hi Lavers, I hope you're surviving in there! If my wife couldn't have got out before her RRV expired then I'd have returned to the UK. That was probably one of the few advantages of not having sold the house - at least we'd still have had an (empty!) roof over our heads!

17 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Hi Lavers, I hope you're surviving in there! If my wife couldn't have got out before her RRV expired then I'd have returned to the UK. That was probably one of the few advantages of not having sold the house - at least we'd still have had an (empty!) roof over our heads!

All good here mate and time has gone fairly fast to be fair.

We would have had to rent as we sold our house the week before lockdown In the UK and had sold our belongings.

Flights are more than double what we paid, a good chance qaurantine will be chargeable and God knows what state everything will be in in a few months time.

Definitely worth doing 4 weeks qaurantine for I think.

Hows your wife holding up?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

@AliQ, @Brizzie, @JInOz and anyone who is planning to fly out in the next month or so, I'd seriously be looking at Plan B right now. If they can't get Victoria under control then expect a lot more knee-jerk reactions from the government. Most of the Premiers have already stated that they want a cap on incoming international passenger numbers. Flights into Sydney are limited to 50 passengers at the moment. Your flight may not have been cancelled yet, but you could turn up at the airport only to be told there's no seat on the plane for you - a far worse scenario! I'm a member of an 'Australians in quarantine' group in Facebook, and this is already happening. They are also changing the rules on quarantine on a daily basis - it's a complete nightmare. If you need to get here before your visa(s) expires then you'll have to chance it, but if you can move your relocation back until all this settles down without too much hassle then it's really worth considering.

Hi Wanderer Returns, thank you for the update, but now I'm extra stressed !

NO way can we change our plans to return home, our house has already been let to new tenants, sale of furniture and car organised and booked, it's impossible to reverse what's been done. 

How on earth are they going to manage who can and who can not fly on set days ? they can't split numbers across three or four airlines surely, as then one airline may choose not to fly at all, leaving more people stranded and leaving the quota short ! which is un fair on those trying to fly back.

I've been watching the news & updates constantly, and I'll be very interested to see how they aim to implement and manage this "quota" of  passengers.

IF we could on a plane today, we would, but we can't.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

One more point, I think Australian Citizens should get priority, sorry, I know many will not agree, and yes I do understand the stress of those who worked hard to get a visa etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AliQ said:

One more point, I think Australian Citizens should get priority, sorry, I know many will not agree, and yes I do understand the stress of those who worked hard to get a visa etc.

I would agree with that, it seems fair to me 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AliQ said:

Hi Wanderer Returns, thank you for the update, but now I'm extra stressed !

NO way can we change our plans to return home, our house has already been let to new tenants, sale of furniture and car organised and booked, it's impossible to reverse what's been done. 

How on earth are they going to manage who can and who can not fly on set days ? they can't split numbers across three or four airlines surely, as then one airline may choose not to fly at all, leaving more people stranded and leaving the quota short ! which is un fair on those trying to fly back.

I've been watching the news & updates constantly, and I'll be very interested to see how they aim to implement and manage this "quota" of  passengers.

IF we could on a plane today, we would, but we can't.  

Sorry @AliQ, I didn't mean to stress you out but at the same time forewarned is forearmed. I don't think those in the UK will have a feel for the 'borderline hysteria' that's going on here, which is why I posted.

I reckon it will depend heavily on how well the Melbourne outbreak is managed. If it's quickly brought under control then international flights to Melbourne will hopefully resume before you fly, taking pressure off other destinations. However, if it goes the other way and there are outbreaks in other states, then we might see a suspension of all international flights for the time being. It's difficult to call, but the approach at the moment seems to be very heavy-handed - Victoria has been totally locked down for 6 weeks!

You're also flying into Brisbane and quarantine here is no longer free, so less people will be wanting to book flights to Brissie for that reason. At least you have flights already booked as we're talking silly money at the moment. If there are only 50 passengers allowed on each flight then I imagine first and business class passengers will get priority, and after that it'll be a lottery. If I was in your situation I'd be hoping for the best and preparing for the worst, and perhaps seeing who could put a roof over your head if it's the latter.

2 hours ago, AliQ said:

It's the airline who decides who flies. Citizens and permanent residents have equal rights to enter Australia, and if you are willing to pay 4 grand for a seat then they probably don't care which you are.

qatar.png

4 hours ago, Lavers said:

All good here mate and time has gone fairly fast to be fair.

Definitely worth doing 4 weeks qaurantine for I think.

Hows your wife holding up?

Good to hear all's well with you and the family, Lavers - I'd be bored out of my mind!

Fortunately my wife is a homebody so she doesn't mind being inside, and is doing fine. She's in the Sheraton on the Park and has taken a liking to the bathroom. I've told her not to get any ideas! 😉 

I don't think you'll need to do another 2 weeks' quarantine in South Australia because you've already been in hotel quarantine, and not just out and about in Melbourne.

1 hour ago, Wanderer Returns said:

It's the airline who decides who flies. Citizens and permanent residents have equal rights to enter Australia, and if you are willing to pay 4 grand for a seat then they probably don't care which you are.

qatar.png

Well, if that is the case we should be first on. We've paid a lot ++ for premium economy with Singapore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Be careful on this - it might only be granted if you are going directly from the quarantine, not if you spend a couple fo weeks in Victoria.

I will ask the question though.

If it means going straight there then that's what I'd rather do.

• Like 2

The direction stipulates that all passengers arriving after 12.01 am on 29 March 2020 will be directed to accommodation nominated by South Australia Health and remain in quarantine at that location or 14 days from the date of arrival in Australia.

Each state and territory is implementing similar directions and any South Australian coming into another state or territory from overseas will be required to remain in quarantine in that state or territory before returning to South Australia. Upon returning to South Australia, following a period of quarantine in another State or Territory, a further 14 days of self-quarantine will apply in South Australia.

Looks like I will have to do the 14days extra

• Sad 3

53 minutes ago, Lavers said:

The direction stipulates that all passengers arriving after 12.01 am on 29 March 2020 will be directed to accommodation nominated by South Australia Health and remain in quarantine at that location or 14 days from the date of arrival in Australia.

Each state and territory is implementing similar directions and any South Australian coming into another state or territory from overseas will be required to remain in quarantine in that state or territory before returning to South Australia. Upon returning to South Australia, following a period of quarantine in another State or Territory, a further 14 days of self-quarantine will apply in South Australia.

In that case I would spend some time in Melbourne as you planned!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Lavers said:

Jeez! Well that's pretty clear, isn't it? At least it's 14 days iso, and not hotel quarantine at your own expense. I assume that there were no flights directly into Adelaide then, Lavers? @Jon the Hat, they could spend sometime in Melbourne although there's not much point as everything is shut, and currently you're not permitted to visit anyone.

Edited by Wanderer Returns

13 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

In that case I would spend some time in Melbourne as you planned!

I would probably lean the other way and just go straight to SA to play it safe. This covid world is a fast changing and unpredictable place. I'd be worried that as cases increase in Melbourne, it could get harder or impossible to get into SA for a while. Of course it could go the other way but why take the risk in the current climate. Melbourne will always be nearby for visits in future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

I would probably lean the other way and just go straight to SA to play it safe. This covid world is a fast changing and unpredictable place. I'd be worried that as cases increase in Melbourne, it could get harder or impossible to get into SA for a while. Of course it could go the other way but why take the risk in the current climate. Melbourne will always be nearby for visits in future.

I'm starting to sway this way, my head says ho straight to SA but my heart says have a week of freedom......decisions decisions.

• Like 1