Kev

Kevo

5 hours ago, Bulya said:

About 50% of Australia has four seasons.  Again, you seem to have made a poor choice of location.  

We have seasons in Perth mate. We just miss the horrible winter one out.

The pictures above could have been Chittering Valley or one of the many wineries in the Swan Valley. Everywhere is pretty green and lush out that way.

Plenty of breweries to go at too if you're not a wine fan.

Kevs probably never been though if he just drives between home and the shopping centre. 

I'll try a lol (must be an English thing).

Lol Paul would say ,you are the one who opens the electric ⚡️ carport and then go straight to the shop centre ,in between going to the liquor shop to top up his little fridge, chittering valley wineries swan valley ,you can only do these a certain few times and if you would be highly traveled ,in which I doubt you have been ,there’s not that much lush as you would say in these places maybe ,travel to old blighty google that up, and maybe tread your self to a Europe holiday ,then come back and make a small narrow remark on this ,until then let u injoy the shopping 🛍 centres lol

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

We have seasons in Perth mate. We just miss the horrible winter one out.

The pictures above could have been Chittering Valley or one of the many wineries in the Swan Valley. Everywhere is pretty green and lush out that way.

Plenty of breweries to go at too if you're not a wine fan.

Kevs probably never been though if he just drives between home and the shopping centre. 

I'll try a lol (must be an English thing).

I have noticed poms are loathe to travel.  A bit of a problem that, if you move to Australia 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kevo said:

Lol Paul would say ,you are the one who opens the electric ⚡️ carport and then go straight to the shop centre ,in between going to the liquor shop to top up his little fridge, chittering valley wineries swan valley ,you can only do these a certain few times and if you would be highly traveled ,in which I doubt you have been ,there’s not that much lush as you would say in these places maybe ,travel to old blighty google that up, and maybe tread your self to a Europe holiday ,then come back and make a small narrow remark on this ,until then let u injoy the shopping 🛍 centres lol

I think you'll find Paul1Perth is from the UK and has probably had several European holidays like most of us here. It's possible to like both Australia and Europe you know, it's not a competition.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Kevo said:

I'm from Chesterfield in Derbyshire originally mate. Lived near Stockport for a few years before we emigrated in 92.

Spent years going on European holidays and used to have a timeshare on the Algarve. In fact we loved Portugal, Spain, Greek Islands etc so much that we were always depressed when we flew back into Manchester airport, through the clouds and used to say to each other that's it for another year. 

Eventually we came to the conclusion we would come and live in a place with weather we liked, close to a great beach and not have to save up for the next time we could escape. We have a blast every weekend.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Drumbeat said:

I think you'll find Paul1Perth is from the UK and has probably had several European holidays like most of us here. It's possible to like both Australia and Europe you know, it's not a competition.

Och come on Drumbeat!  So much on here ends up being some sort of weird competition   ..............  especially amongst the blokes.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/05/2019 at 13:43, Jennifer C said:

Hi 

I’m moving in a couple of months to Perth as my husband is already there and has started his new job.

its very worrying to hear such negative comments like there is nothing to do?

we are only staying for 4 years so want to make the most of being able to to travel around when we can.

i am looking into different schools aswell as I have a 8 yr old and a 12 yr old and having very mixed reviews about areas and schools.

is rockingham a really bad area? 

There must be more things to do for kids than the uk? 

Any help please 

As no-one else has mentioned it, I will --- your plan to do 4 years is a difficult one for your 12 year old. That will put their return squarely into GCSE year territory.

The UK and AUS curriculum are very different; both are excellent in terms in preparation for later life but neither is good in terms of preparing to take the others school leaver examinations.

You might want to consider one of the following

1. Staying on in AUS until the 16 year old is able to go straight into UK sixth form (but you might need some additional tutoring to get them up to UK equivalent depending on the things studied - for instance Maths is pretty much the same world round, where as history is massively different depending on the country or study)

2. Come home a year earlier so that they have the full run at the GCSE years

3. Go to an AUS private school that offers iGCSE or Euro Baccalaureate

4. Come back as planned but make sure they have been immersed in the UK curriculum (either through text books or tutors)

5. Stay in AUS longer then it's not an issue 😉

6. Wing it and hope for the best 😉 

5 hours ago, Bulya said:

I have noticed poms are loathe to travel.  A bit of a problem that, if you move to Australia 

sorry Bulya, I have to disagree there, its not a competition or anything but far more brits, in my experience travel than Australians, its only really the recent generations of Australians that travel anywhere,  for example, the second job I had here in Australia I worked in an engineering shop, most of those working there (i was the only brit) had never been out of the state, let alone the country and the thought of getting on a plane to fly to the other side of the world was simply a crazy idea

22 minutes ago, bug family said:

sorry Bulya, I have to disagree there, its not a competition or anything but far more brits, in my experience travel than Australians, its only really the recent generations of Australians that travel anywhere,  for example, the second job I had here in Australia I worked in an engineering shop, most of those working there (i was the only brit) had never been out of the state, let alone the country and the thought of getting on a plane to fly to the other side of the world was simply a crazy idea

I have to disagree with you.   One of the reasons I found it hard to settle back in the UK was that most people had never lived outside the UK.  Oh, they had travelled plenty - to Benidorm or Tenerife for their holidays - but they had never really experienced another culture.  And they'd never done a "gap year" either before or after university - something that was very, very common for Australians of my generation.  

It does depends where you are in Australia, I think.  Australians are not the same all over the country, any more than a Cockney is the same as a Glaswegian.  It's less obvious because the accent doesn't change as much, but it's still there.    When I visit Perth, I always get the impression that people there are less adventurous than in the Eastern states.

Edited by Marisawright

6 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I have to disagree with you.   One of the reasons I found it hard to settle back in the UK was that most people had never lived outside the UK.  Oh, they had travelled plenty - to Benidorm or Tenerife for their holidays - but they had never really experienced another culture.  And they'd never done a "gap year" either before or after university - something that was very, very common for Australians of my generation.  

It does depends where you are in Australia, I think.  Australians are not the same all over the country, any more than a Cockney is the same as a Glaswegian.  It's less obvious because the accent doesn't change as much, but it's still there.    When I visit Perth, I always get the impression that people there are less adventurous than in the Eastern states.

Got to agree with you.  Most of the Aussies I know/worked with had travelled overseas.  Loads to Europe and the USA.  There will always be stay-at- home types who have no interest in travelling.  My Dad was once of those.  He very rarely left Scotland.  A couple of times to the north of England and that was it.  😶

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Blimey go to the UK now , they are off all over the place Anywhere Easy jet or Ryan Air fly to , not just  Spain or Greece it’s all Poland Hungary Iceland ect ect , but I have to say I don’t know to what extent they experience the culture 

mind you have you seen Aussie’s in Bali , 

Edited by shaunfreo

2 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

sorry, but you are talking about living elsewhere, which is totally different to traveling elsewhere, Bulya and I are talking about traveling, as for not experiencing a culture, I again disagree, Britain is one of the most multicultural countries on the planet! (far more so than Australia in my opinion) and not everyone goes to university Marisa either here or in the UK, most people just go on holiday as they cannot afford to take a year off to busy holding down a job and trying to survive, nothing wrong with Benidorm or Tenerife I have been to both along with many other places around this great planet of ours, every country has its uniqueness and something to offer, Benidorm and Tenerife included, maybe you don't like to mingle with us common people 😂

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, bug family said:

sorry, but you are talking about living elsewhere, which is totally different to traveling elsewhere, Bulya and I are talking about traveling, as for not experiencing a culture, I again disagree, Britain is one of the most multicultural countries on the planet! (far more so than Australia in my opinion) and not everyone goes to university Marisa either here or in the UK, most people just go on holiday as they cannot afford to take a year off to busy holding down a job and trying to survive, nothing wrong with Benidorm or Tenerife I have been to both along with many other places around this great planet of ours, every country has its uniqueness and something to offer, Benidorm and Tenerife included, maybe you don't like to mingle with us common people 😂

I agree nothing wrong with Benidorm or Tenerife, i have had some great holidays in both , and mingled with locals, tried a bit of basic Spanish eaten in Tapas bars where nobody spoke English 

Just as an adit i recently drove from Cairns to Perth in a camper, and do you know the most number plates I saw en route were from WA so Marisawright we do travel and are quite adventurous 

Edited by shaunfreo
Move
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bug family said:

Now that’s rubbish.  A large percentage of Australians have passports and use them regularly.  I remember one Xmas I was the only one from the entire office that didn’t venture o’seas (horse ownership curtails many things).

10 minutes ago, Bulya said:

Now that’s rubbish.  A large percentage of Australians have passports and use them regularly.  I remember one Xmas I was the only one from the entire office that didn’t venture o’seas (horse ownership curtails many things).

nope...not in my experience Bulya, prior to coming to Australia some 8yrs ago,  I had literally only met one Aussie abroad in a brilliant bar on the Greek island of Rhodes in the port town of Ixia and that's having previously traveled through Europe, South Africa, and the middle east, however I had met loads of Brits abroad all over the place, we must both have had different experiences of life I suppose, anyhow make sure you get a passport for your horse and take it away with you next time you go away ....I hear Benidorm is nice at this time of year 😉

10 minutes ago, bug family said:

nope...not in my experience Bulya, prior to coming to Australia some 8yrs ago,  I had literally only met one Aussie abroad in a brilliant bar on the Greek island of Rhodes in the port town of Ixia and that's having previously traveled through Europe, South Africa, and the middle east, however I had met loads of Brits abroad all over the place, we must both have had different experiences of life I suppose, anyhow make sure you get a passport for your horse and take it away with you next time you go away ....I hear Benidorm is nice at this time of year 😉

You've got to be kidding.  I met loads of Aussies on working visas in the UK.  London was teeming with them.  Met my husband - an Aussie - in London.  

Let's put an and to this Aussie V UK travellers cr@p and say that both of them manage to get out and see the world.  Not all of them mind you but a fair old percentage of them.  My Aussie born sons have travelled outside Australia on holiday and at the moment one of them is working in Ireland and the other in New York.  Most of their friends have been overseas.

• Like 3

sorry Bulya, I have to disagree there, its not a competition or anything but far more brits, in my experience travel than Australians, its only really the recent generations of Australians that travel anywhere,  

Now I’ve heard it all!! I am in my 70’s, and we plus loads of my Australian friends of a similar age or older, are having adventure after adventure.

We and our Australian friends  have between us have travelled over the last five years, to the following China, Brunei, Cambodia, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Norway, India, South America, sailed round Greece. 2 friends about to travel round Europe for 6 weeks. Need I go on.

As well as having visited several of the above, have to add in Africa, we also go to UK for 3 months most years, and travel from there. 

I am wracking my brains to think where my UK friends go, oh yes very occasionally to the continent. Unless you are of a similar age to me I question your comments.

Several people I know took advantage of travelling to Uk on the ships that bought the 10 pound poms here, and spent a year travelling and working UK and Europe.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, bug family said:

You couldn’t pay us to go there.  Back to India or the Phillipines would do

Britain is one of the most multicultural countries on the planet! (far more so than Australia in my opinion)

I'm sorry you're unhappy in Australia.  Some people can leave their homeland and never look back - it sounds like your wife and her family are like that.  But an awful lot of people - maybe the majority? - can never be truly settled and happy unless they're on home soil.  If that's you, you don't have to justify it to us,  we see it all the time.  It's a normal and natural reaction to being uprooted from where you truly belong.    Australia could be a paradise and you still wouldn't be able to settle.

It's a pity your wife is so unsympathetic - but for people who don't feel that way, it's an awfully hard thing to explain.  But the trouble is, you only make it worse by picking holes in the place, because she's only going to think you're exaggerating or making a fuss about nothing or not trying or some such - and then she's even less likely to take you seriously.  And people like us, who would otherwise sympathise with you, get offended because you're slagging off a country that we like living in.

Britain is certainly multicultural, but so is Australia.   Melbourne has the largest Greek population outside Greece   I have coffee in Lygon Street most days, Brunetti's is like being in Italy.  I used to live in Sydney and places like Campsie and Cabramatta are like being in Korea and Vietnam. I used to live near Hurstville, where most of the Chinese restaurants didn't even have menus written in English. If you feel like some Turkish Delight, head for Auburn - all the Middle Eastern food you could want there.  Different parts of Australia are different.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Well this thread has gone off on one hasn't it!

I love Perth and I am looking forward to it, but I am definitely planning on doing to travel as well.

I guess you have to appreciate that until relatively recently, travel was very expensive in Australia, whereas it has been pretty cheap in the UK for the last thirty odd years.

12 hours ago, bug family said:

Britain is one of the most multicultural countries on the planet! (far more so than Australia in my opinion) 

Your opinion is not supported by the statistics.  The 2011 UK census showed 12% of the population born abroad  ( estimated to be 14% in 2017).

The 2016 Australian census showed 26% born overseas - and half the total population  either born overseas or had at least one parent who was.

61% of those born overseas live in either NSW or Victoria - so the multicultural aspect of Australia may not be so evident to someone living in W.A.

• Like 2