Kev

Kevo

5 hours ago, Jennifer C said:

Hi 

I’m moving in a couple of months to Perth as my husband is already there and has started his new job.

its very worrying to hear such negative comments like there is nothing to do?

we are only staying for 4 years so want to make the most of being able to to travel around when we can.

i am looking into different schools aswell as I have a 8 yr old and a 12 yr old and having very mixed reviews about areas and schools.

is rockingham a really bad area? 

There must be more things to do for kids than the uk? 

Any help please 

I can’t help with areas as I don’t know Perth, but don’t worry about the comments on here. You are going for 4 years with younger children, it’ll be an adventure and there are just as many people on here who love Perth as who hate it. It seems to be a bit marmite. Most agree that for young families it’s fab. 

Once you have been somewhere a while it can grind you down and a forum is a great place for a rant. If I was of a mind to I could probably write something similar about Melbourne, but it would just be symptomatic of my falling out of love being there than a rational statement on Melbourne itself.

Go with an open mind, throw yourself into it, have fun! Good luck!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jennifer C said:

Hi 

I’m moving in a couple of months to Perth as my husband is already there and has started his new job.

we are only staying for 4 years so want to make the most of being able to to travel around when we can.

i am looking into different schools aswell as I have a 8 yr old and a 12 yr old and having very mixed reviews about areas and schools.

Any help please 

You'll find on this forum that there is a lot of Perth bashing … some of us love living here and don't find it boring, isolated or find that our children have had nothing to do.  The suburbs mentioned up north have a lot of Brits which can either be a good or bad thing depending on your view point.  

Your time here will be what you make it, look at the negative posts and ask yourself does it apply to me?  Remember that Australia is a different country and not England with sunshine .. so it's bound to be different.

Enjoy your adventure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 18:37, Toots said:

Well move back to the UK or somewhere else.  Bit pointless coming here yapping on about how bored you are.  Do something about it.  😎  The more you go on about it makes you sound a bit of a boring person yourself.

Spot on. If you or the family can't find something to do in Perth that's down to you, not where you live.

You could move back to England, go to the same pub every night, go to Blackpool on a bank holiday weekend if the weathers good and sit in a traffic jam for 2 hours. Then when you get there another hour to find somewhere to park. Pay a fortune for parking, buy yourself a kiss me quick hat so you fit in.

Anywhere can be boring if you try hard enough.

Living the dream in Perth myself.

• Like 1

On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 08:24, ali said:

Is this at the centre of your dissatisfaction? Some people really do struggle with this and many return to the UK because of it.  Is that an option for you?  

I grew up living close to all my relations. It didn't make me any closer to them though. I never liked going to my grandmothers at weekends as it was boring. I didn't have much in common with my cousins and saw them at family occassions. We all got along fine when we met but didn't go out of our way to catch up. The friends I hung around with and went out with were mates from school. You find people with the same interests, sense of humour etc. Very rarely do they turn out to be family members.

15 hours ago, Jennifer C said:

Hi 

Any help please 

Do your kids like sport? If they do don't worry, you're coming to the right place. Live near the beach and join a surf club and they'll have mates galore, learn some good skills, learn to love the beach and ocean and all for free.

If they're anything like ours they'll grow up happy and content, fit, find jobs, often very well paid, and turn out just fine.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jennifer C said:

Hi 

Any help please 

Hi Jennifer,

We live in the next town along from Rockingham in a place called Mandurah, if I am honest and just my opinion, I would not personally live in Rockingham, there is literally a beach which is nice if you like beaches (but after the hundredth time they start to get boring...maybe just me)  and a shopping center (which is what they call the town center over here) and that's about it, there are shops dotted around and a few parks with swings, and loads of houses etc but not much else.

Mandurah (where we live) is a bit nicer with a bit more to do and better schools (all again my personal opinion please don't shoot 😲). There is a debate over private versus state schools here, with private schooling being judged to be about on par with average British council-run schools, I would probably agree with this we send our kids to a private school and it seems very good, although it is expensive which means we are always skint, but at least they are getting a good education.

You say you are only coming for 4 years, does this mean you are returning to the UK after this period?

On the question of more to do for the kids, look the sun shines more here so you can get outdoors more I suppose, but in the hight of summer it is like the hight of winter back home, only the opposite way round, as in it is to hot to stay outdoors all day, there are activities if you look, but it is mainly sport and not much else, my kids are not sporty so it leaves them very little to do.

I am biased I suppose, as I am looking to return to the UK in the next few years,  as I miss home and do not enjoy it here (I find it very, very boring), however somepeople love it and would never return to the UK, we are all different Jennifer you may love it!, whatever happens I wish you good luck

Bugfamily 😀

Bottom line is it’s horses for courses,if you want a sleepy life and do the same stuff over and over and over again , and not to mention skin damage with a fly on your Sunday roast lol yep Perth is Great 👍 but if you want to drive though a beautiful green English countryside,and have a lovely pub lunch with moneyleft in your wallet and diversity and change of seasons the Uk 🇬🇧 would be the place to me,,,,I know were I would rather spend my pounds 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kevo said:

Bottom line is it’s horses for courses,if you want a sleepy life and do the same stuff over and over and over again , and not to mention skin damage with a fly on your Sunday roast lol yep Perth is Great 👍 but if you want to drive though a beautiful green English countryside,and have a lovely pub lunch with moneyleft in your wallet and diversity and change of seasons the Uk 🇬🇧 would be the place to me,,,,I know were I would rather spend my pounds 

I agree with horses for courses .. but  My life isn't a sleepy one, nor do we do the same stuff over and over again.  I absolutely respect that you find it that way - but please don't generalise that everyone does or will find it the same.  

• Like 1

O not to mention ,everything in Perth is over priced ,no  one gives way,and if you are walking .be prepared to get stared at and mocked ,walking over here is not the in thing it’s car out of carport in to shopping centre, lol and be prepared to wait at a crossing if you are walking 🚶‍♂️ as no one lets you though thay blank you out ,lol

• Haha 1

Just now, Kevo said:

Just saying the truth  please don’t take it  the wrong way people 

For you yes.  I have to say though, that I do feel a bit sorry for you being so unhappy here, I wouldn't be able to stand that.  Serious question - are you moving back to the UK?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kevo said:

Well you're hardly going to find beautiful green English countryside in Australia are you? Did you do any research on Perth before you moved here?? 😕

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kevo said:

About 50% of Australia has four seasons.  Again, you seem to have made a poor choice of location.  

• Like 1

CF478635-48E6-4D8B-ABCF-8AD45A8E2EBB.thumb.jpeg.240529b910201f165ff5659e705a24c9.jpeg8E818725-27D8-4892-A019-1995EADA533C.thumb.jpeg.dcd85b8673bcda01e5d9815687ea2c21.jpeg

Deffo for four seasons here in the Adelaide Hills. Lovely autumn colours and the paddocks stay green most of the year, even when not irrigated. 

Both pics taken on walks from my home. 

I drive through buts of SA that are just acres of brown in summer though and I wouldn’t like to live there. 

Mind it is chilly this morning, about 5 degrees, but the sun is up!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Kevo said:

Four seasons and plenty of green countryside in Tassie.

cygnet.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Kevo said:

O not to mention ,everything in Perth is over priced ,no  one gives way,and if you are walking .be prepared to get stared at and mocked ,walking over here is not the in thing it’s car out of carport in to shopping centre, lol and be prepared to wait at a crossing if you are walking 🚶‍♂️ as no one lets you though thay blank you out ,lol

Where do you live and try to walk mate? Get down the coast on a weekend. There's thousands of people out walking, running, riding on the excellent shared paths. Don't have to be near a road. Then usually going in one of the hundreds of coffee and cake shops up and down the coast for a chat with friends.

Give Burns Beach a go Sunday morning, fantastic views from that walk to Ocean Reef, parks galore too. Never know mate you might enjoy it.