Where to start? Perth and Perth living.

Jamieliverpool

Hi everyone,

Not sure where to start really. My girlfriend and I have 2 young kids (4 and 9months). I have lived a few places around the world, New Zealand for 18 months(on a 18-30 visa) and then the middle east for a couple of years with work.

Its always been my dream to move our family to New Zealand but my misses has never really fancied moving away until now. We are looking at Perth WA as there seems a lot more jobs available and the housing is cheaper than NZ.

I am a coded Welder and im currently working through a health and safety diploma. My misses is a hairdressing teacher for wella so therefore is qualified in hairdressing and has a teaching degree. We are aged 31 and 29.

Im just wondering how everyone went about the visa application process. Should we be sorting this first or applying for jobs in the hope they will assist our visa application? 

We have found houses in spearwood and beelair that look really nice and seem to be in a more rural setting, which is what we are looking for . Has anyone got any other recommendations for areas suitable for a young family?

The one thing weve noticed in our research is the cost of living increase from here in the UK. Obviously the salaries are better in Oz but im just wondering how people have found this as we don't want to come out and struggle. Although I know everything depends on work and lifestyle.

And finally I feel my misses has finally realised the opportunities for ourselves and our young kids are far better in Oz than here in the UK. The work situation here is getting worse and worse and I genuinely fear for my kids prospects when they are older . This is a massive move for us as it is for everyone who has had the courage to improve the their lives and prospects by moving to Oz. Any advice you can offer us is hugely appreciated.

Im really sorry for waffling on .

Thanks for your time ,

Jamie (Liverpool, UK)

3 hours ago, Jamieliverpool said:

Hi everyone,

Not sure where to start really. My girlfriend and I have 2 young kids (4 and 9months). I have lived a few places around the world, New Zealand for 18 months(on a 18-30 visa) and then the middle east for a couple of years with work.

Its always been my dream to move our family to New Zealand but my misses has never really fancied moving away until now. We are looking at Perth WA as there seems a lot more jobs available and the housing is cheaper than NZ.

I am a coded Welder and im currently working through a health and safety diploma. My misses is a hairdressing teacher for wella so therefore is qualified in hairdressing and has a teaching degree. We are aged 31 and 29.

Im just wondering how everyone went about the visa application process. Should we be sorting this first or applying for jobs in the hope they will assist our visa application? 

We have found houses in spearwood and beelair that look really nice and seem to be in a more rural setting, which is what we are looking for . Has anyone got any other recommendations for areas suitable for a young family?

The one thing weve noticed in our research is the cost of living increase from here in the UK. Obviously the salaries are better in Oz but im just wondering how people have found this as we don't want to come out and struggle. Although I know everything depends on work and lifestyle.

And finally I feel my misses has finally realised the opportunities for ourselves and our young kids are far better in Oz than here in the UK. The work situation here is getting worse and worse and I genuinely fear for my kids prospects when they are older . This is a massive move for us as it is for everyone who has had the courage to improve the their lives and prospects by moving to Oz. Any advice you can offer us is hugely appreciated.

Thanks for your time ,

Jamie (Liverpool, UK)

The UK does have historically low unemployment rates at the moment. Lower than Perth, which is not in recession, but is in a bit of a slow down.

You could look at the hills areas if you wanted a bit of rural, or maybe even one of the towns near Perth.

Many on here will be worried at your quote

“my misses has finally realised the opportunities for ourselves and our young kids are far better in Oz than here in the UK” 

what has she seen that has made her realise that? They are not better, both countries are first world countries with so much opportunity. Nothing wrong with wanting to live in one rather than the other but it’s a worry when people who’ve never been there assume it will be far better. Different yes, better? For lots yes, for lots no and return home. There are not ‘a lot of jobs’ in Perth right now. It is definitely in a downtime re jobs and it’s a fact people have left there and moved to another state or even returned to the UK because they cannot get work. If there’s a lot more jobs available in Perth than in New Zealand then NZ isn’t doing very well. Of course I’m sure in certain industries the works there but the unemployment rate there is far higher then the UK. Also it’s noticable that shops/restaurants are struggling, people either haven’t got the money or are worried about spending it. I’m not putting Perth down, I actually love Perth but I’m just saying it as it is to give you an idea. The housing is cheaper these days, if you look at what the prices were 2 years ago you’d be surprised how much they’ve gone down. House markets everywhere fluctuate from time to time but it’s never a great sign when prices have dropped by huge amounts. No it’s not in recession but it’s certainly not booming right now. As for the visa process, I think most sort out a skilled visa themselves. You can get sponsored by a company out there but this isn’t easy. It costs them time and money and they have to prove they cannot find someone in Oz that can take the position.  Not sure about areas for you. I’d pick one that seems nice, rent and take sometime to look about everywhere.  I wish you the best of luck and hope it all works out great for you 

• Like 4

Thank for your reply’s and advice .

The uk does have record low unemployment at the moment. It also has nearly a million people on zero hour working contracts and nearly 4 million people in working poverty .  The work prospects In my region are not great at all. I’m a coded welder who’s worked all over the Middle East, Canada and America . I was laid off 3 years ago and it took me 5 months to get employment. It’s worse than that now . I was recently called by an employment agency to see what my work situation was and was told of an “excellent opportunity” they had which was paying £8.50 an hour . Which obviously I would take if I had no work just to feed my family but it’s far from ideal . I want to better myself and my family’s prospects, not just get by . 

Im not saying Perth or Australia has streets paved with gold but a simple job search puts the uk to shame. You would know better as your there I understand that. All I’m doing is looking for a better life for us all. It’s certainly an eye opener as maybe i have looked into Perth as a cure all for everything I want for us. I will definitely take this into account .

again thank you for your time and advice .

jamie

• Like 1

I would certainly (if you can afford it) come out for a holiday, whilst it's not the same as living here, it will give you a taste and you can see the suburbs first hand.  Beeliar and Spearwood aren't rural.

I don't know what the job markets are like for your specific jobs - you will need to explore if you need to get any licences/tickets for your particular job when you arrive.  It has taken people several months to find work (whilst some get it more quickly), and the former can use up a lot of savings, so you have to keep that in mind.  The minimum wage is almost $19 per hour.

Firstly, you need to decide whose skills you're going to apply on and get the skills assessments done so that you can apply for the visa.  If your partner hasn't been keen until now, then I would certainly think about budgeting for a holiday so she can see the lifestyle.

It's a long process - but certainly worth it (in my opinion).

Mate, you'd need to come here and get a holiday rental for a good while, scope out the suburbs. Spearwood and Beeliar wouldn't be high up anyone's list to be honest, not bagging them, just the way it is. The suggestion about the Hills is a good one, try suburbs around Mundaring and Kalamunda as a search option.

I know a bloke who is a welder, big contracts but he is away working all the time; usually in crap conditions. On the other hand, hairdressers and beauticians, you can't move for them over here.

They don't like to advertise the fact but the place is in a bit of a downturn at the moment, the whole country that is. Perth is suffering as well. And Perth will be the place that comes out of it last. It is a good place for little uns though, the kids will love it, they're defo the right age for it.

• Like 1

When we first decided to move, I went to an immigration fair and booked a free appointment with a migration agent.  They looked at my particulars and gave me some valuable top line info such as what visas I would qualify for.  Once you know what visa you can get, you can then answer the question about needing a job or not before applying.  

I can't help with suburbs in WA, I'm living in Melbourne and haven't been here very long. 

The cost of living varies based on a number of things.  Our rent here is more than in the UK, but then we chose to live near the beach and CBD, and our house, whilst having the same number of bedrooms, has 50% more square footage.  If we lived 20 min further away from the city, our rent would drop about $250 per week for a similar sized house but with a bigger garden. Gas and electricity are definitely more expensive here, and some grocery items are more, some are less.  We've found though we spend far less on entertainment as we spend our weekends at the beach or parks.  

We moved for related reasons to yours - moving for the kids. My wife and I grew up in South Africa and wanted our kids to the outdoors lifestyle that we did.  I think work opportunities are  similar in both UK and Oz, but our kids prefer it here to the UK. Their school is bigger with more facilities, and they love being able to play outside and that it doesn't rain all the time. I've also found that the work/life balance (at least for me) is better here.

7 hours ago, s713 said:

Mate, you'd need to come here and get a holiday rental for a good while, scope out the suburbs. Spearwood and Beeliar wouldn't be high up anyone's list to be honest, not bagging them, just the way it is. The suggestion about the Hills is a good one, try suburbs around Mundaring and Kalamunda as a search option.

I know a bloke who is a welder, big contracts but he is away working all the time; usually in crap conditions. On the other hand, hairdressers and beauticians, you can't move for them over here.

They don't like to advertise the fact but the place is in a bit of a downturn at the moment, the whole country that is. Perth is suffering as well. And Perth will be the place that comes out of it last. It is a good place for little uns though, the kids will love it, they're defo the right age for it.

Must admit, the only welders I have known have all had to work away when they get a contract. Away 3 months on a contract, that sort of thing.

Hi Jamie

Perth is a great place to raise kids by all accounts, my wife is from there are we are moving back with our kids later this year.

I wouldn't worry too much about Suburbs at this stage, as it all depends on where you are working really.  There are lots of nice places on all kinds of budgets, however the two you have mentioned aren't brilliant, and aren't even vaguely rural, just more suburbia - there is quite a lot of that.  You will find of course nice houses in any suburb, but as they say you don't buy the nicest house on a crappy street.  You need to look at Primary and Secondary schools.  The best ones are in more expensive areas, but none appear to be bad as such.

Can’t offer any advice re Perth as I’m over in Victoria. Cost of living is higher but then so are the wages, it depends what you want and where you live, we moved to a country town so we could get a cheap mortgage but our wages remain the same as if we still lived in the city therefore more disposable income.

If your job is on the skills list I would definitely look into getting your skills assessment done and applying for a 189 visa, if granted this gets you and your family permanent residency so when you do move over you don’t have to worry about getting sponsored to work.

Re opportunities in Australia vs the UK. Some people on this forum are very quick to shoot this phrase down as you have seen. Australia is not the land of milk and honey as perceived by many however there are many benefits to raising kids here, the weather brings a different lifestyle, kids are more interested in sport, there are a lot of good schools here and it’s not just the elite or the genius working class kids who get the opportunity to get a really good education, I come from a very deprived area in the west of Scotland so I can appreciate what your wife means by “better opportunities” not everyone on this forum will know what she means.

Are you close to your family? It can be hard raising kids on the other side of the world and it’s a big reason many ex pats move home, you have to weigh up the benefits of living here (of which there are many) over not having your children grow up amongst family and close friends.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for your replies. A lot of good points for us to consider and think about . 

Ballaratburd I’m glad you can see where I’m coming from I was a little surprised at the comeback of me saying about the better opportunities in Oz. Like yourself I’m working class lad from Merseyside, from a very very deprived area. We’ve done ok for ourselves but I really feel hampered by the lack of opportunities in my region now. It does worry me that it’s definitely getting worse and what effects that will have on my kids.I have a decent job now that pays well for the area but it’s also a job that has laid off 20 people in the last 2 years. If I lose this job we could be in serious trouble as the work just isn’t out there. I understand Australia isn’t the answer for everybody and I have definitely looked at Oz as a cure all for us when that isn’t the reality.  I really worry about my kids prospects when the time comes to think about careers. It’s a long way off I know, but I would hate for my lad to get into welding like I did because there was literally nothing else available at the time. Welding has served me fairly well but as everyone knows it’s a dirty, unhealthy trade at times.

As regards to family I don’t have any parents but have 2 younger sisters who would be over visiting at every opportunity. I’m not a home bird the only thing I would miss is my Liverpool season ticket!! My misses has a small family also who would visit.

A few people have suggested visiting and this is definetly a good idea although it’s expensive it’s really something we are going to consider. Seems I have been looking in the wrong areas also. So thanks for pointing that out . 

Again thank you everyone for taking the time to reply your help has massive for us . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jamieliverpool said:

Thanks everyone for your replies. A lot of good points for us to consider and think about . 

Ballaratburd I’m glad you can see where I’m coming from I was a little surprised at the comeback of me saying about the better opportunities in Oz. Like yourself I’m working class lad from Merseyside, from a very very deprived area. We’ve done ok for ourselves but I really feel hampered by the lack of opportunities in my region now. It does worry me that it’s definitely getting worse and what effects that will have on my kids.I have a decent job now that pays well for the area but it’s also a job that has laid off 20 people in the last 2 years. If I lose this job we could be in serious trouble as the work just isn’t out there. I understand Australia isn’t the answer for everybody and I have definitely looked at Oz as a cure all for us when that isn’t the reality.  I really worry about my kids prospects when the time comes to think about careers. It’s a long way off I know, but I would hate for my lad to get into welding like I did because there was literally nothing else available at the time. Welding has served me fairly well but as everyone knows it’s a dirty, unhealthy trade at times.

As regards to family I don’t have any parents but have 2 younger sisters who would be over visiting at every opportunity. I’m not a home bird the only thing I would miss is my Liverpool season ticket!! My misses has a small family also who would visit.

A few people have suggested visiting and this is definetly a good idea although it’s expensive it’s really something we are going to consider. Seems I have been looking in the wrong areas also. So thanks for pointing that out . 

Again thank you everyone for taking the time to reply your help has massive for us . 

Well if Liverpool finally put you out of your misery this season it will be the perfect time to leave on a high!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Jamieliverpool said:

I moved 13 years ago. In the UK I was living on a sink estate as a single parent on the outskirts of London. Yes, Australia was better and still is better than that. Imoved back to a different part of the Uk last year. Now, if someone had said the only place I could move to in the UK was the place I had left then I would categorically still be in Australia and I have very much fallen out of love with Australia! But as far as I am concerned even the shabier parts of Melbourne were better than where I left.

So for me, it depends where you are movingfrom and where you are moving to that decides what is “better”. Better is time, placeand person dependent. 

I am working in Knowsley at the moment and some of the places there,Australia would definitely be better! 😬

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jamieliverpool said:

Thank for your reply’s and advice .

The uk does have record low unemployment at the moment. It also has nearly a million people on zero hour working contracts and nearly 4 million people in working poverty .  The work prospects In my region are not great at all. I’m a coded welder who’s worked all over the Middle East, Canada and America . I was laid off 3 years ago and it took me 5 months to get employment. It’s worse than that now . I was recently called by an employment agency to see what my work situation was and was told of an “excellent opportunity” they had which was paying £8.50 an hour . Which obviously I would take if I had no work just to feed my family but it’s far from ideal . I want to better myself and my family’s prospects, not just get by . 

Im not saying Perth or Australia has streets paved with gold but a simple job search puts the uk to shame. You would know better as your there I understand that. All I’m doing is looking for a better life for us all. It’s certainly an eye opener as maybe i have looked into Perth as a cure all for everything I want for us. I will definitely take this into account .

again thank you for your time and advice .

jamie

I love that you have mentioned this - ' It also has nearly a million people on zero hour working contracts and nearly 4 million people in working poverty'  absolute spot on 👏

I have friends with uni degrees and some who are experienced professionals who are working in entry level call centres and general admin jobs. Lots of number fudging going on to make it look like the employment levels are good when in fact, as you mention, there's so many zero hour contracts with people getting next to no hours each week or 20 hours split over 5 days resulting in additional outlay costs such a travel/parking expenses just to go to work... which makes it a pointless task. 

Sounds like you have considered your options and want to take the plunge, I agree with others, maybe a holiday first to make sure it's the right move for you and to scope out your living costs/area and job opportunities. Decide who will be the main visa applicant and speak to a migration expert to find out your most viable route.

Good luck! 

• Like 2

On 03/02/2019 at 16:12, Jamieliverpool said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your time ,

Jamie (Liverpool, UK)

We are due to to move to Brisbane on the 2nd of April, we live in St Helens, Merseyside. James is a electrical engineer and i'm a hairdresser, i trained and worked with Toni & Guy for couple years and i have already been offered a job and a couple of interviews so your girlfriend wont have problem finding work. We went back in 2016 and we went to Perth very family orientated and we don't have any kids yet but we said if we did it would be a great place to settle down. We chose Brisbane because it pretty much had everything and i have family there. We used a company in Chester called The Emigration group you can book a consultation with them first to get all the advice before you make a start on the process. We started the application back in 2017 finally received 189visa in december. 

• Like 2

Would think twice about leaving any family to move to Perth where the economy is in bad shape. We have friends who have been forced to leave there due to lack of work after the mining boom ended and have a house in negative equity they can't afford to sell.

Its the most isolate place on earth. Even the penguins in Antarctica have more places to visit 😉

• Like 3

2 hours ago, can1983 said:

Would think twice about leaving any family to move to Perth where the economy is in bad shape. We have friends who have been forced to leave there due to lack of work after the mining boom ended and have a house in negative equity they can't afford to sell.

Its the most isolate place on earth. Even the penguins in Antarctica have more places to visit 😉

Not entirely true, some industries have picked up considerably in the last 12 months. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, can1983 said:

Well I should add they had jobs related to mining and construction (as did/do many)

Which are the industries with new projects starting.

The resources industry in Perth is known for its boom and bust cycles. Reducing your debt during the boom times is the trick to managing the bust times. Unfortunately a lot of people didn't realise it would end.

Edited by Drumbeat
  • Like 3

On 04/02/2019 at 03:12, Jamieliverpool said:

There is no point in applying for jobs.  Having a job will not assist your application for a skilled visa.

It can take a year or more to get a skilled visa so not many employers will be willing to wait that long anyway.  The great majority of migrants arrive without a job and start looking when they arrive.  Current advice is to have enough savings to see you through for about six months, as it can take about that long to find employment.

There are employer-sponsored visas, where an employer offers you a job and you get a visa on the strength of that job. However, they are only temporary contracts, and you're only allowed to stay in Australia as long as the contract lasts.   Be cautious if people who tell you to take one of these temp visas, then apply for a permanent visa once you're in the country - it's true in theory, but very difficult and stressful in practice.   It used to be easier with the old temp visas but it's more difficult with the new ones, and getting harder all the time.   You don't want to uproot your family for the sake of 2 years and then find you have to go home again.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

HI Jamie and family

I find a lot of people who haven't lived in the UK for many years have no real understanding of the sheer poverty and deprivation in many parts particularly in the large cities.  I lived in Australia almost 20 years ago and have Aussie citizenship howe6my 3 kids have never lived here. We decided to come out for good last year the manchester arena bombing and undertaking terrorist training as part of my role as a midwife was the final straw . We arrived in perth 5 weeks ago for us it is like utopia. We live walking distance to the beach the pace of life is much slower and relaxed. I  have found people friendly and generous. My kids have joined youth clubs soccer tennis and we've been to free outdoor movies complete with free hot dogs and popcorn . Lots of free concerts. I found everthing so expensive in UK with 3 kids. The youth club my teenage girls attend have even offered emotional support and counselling if they want it to help with the transition.  I haven't looked for work yet as planning 6 months off so can't comment. I truly believe perth is still an awesome place to raise a family.  Much luck to you all x

• Like 12

The one thing that pleasantly shocked me yesterday is we went to s museum . There was no bag inspections no security to walk through. I have noticed a massive change for the better in my e children's emotional  wellbeing. The sheer lack of busyness and generally having peace and quiet  and no traffic jams on the m62 everyday is bliss.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, tab said:

The one thing that pleasantly shocked me yesterday is we went to s museum . There was no bag inspections no security to walk through. I have noticed a massive change for the better in my e children's emotional  wellbeing. The sheer lack of busyness and generally having peace and quiet  and no traffic jams on the m62 everyday is bliss.

Ah yes, the M62 in rush hour.......🤬

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your replies.

ash we are just down the road from you then . My misses was a teacher for Toni and guy An now works for wella so we are hoping for a teaching job over there for her. These are hard to come by both in the uk and Oz it seems but we ll see. Good luck with your move. Thanks for the recommendation of the emigration group we’ve contacted them and got the ball rolling. 

Captian_tor - “I have friends with uni degrees and some who are experienced professionals who are working in entry level call centres and general admin jobs. Lots of number fudging going on to make it look like the employment levels are good when in fact, as you mention, there's so many zero hour contracts with people getting next to no hours each week or 20 hours split over 5 days resulting in additional outlay costs such a travel/parking expensesjust to go to work... which makes it a pointless task. “ 

this has absolutely hit the nail on the head of the point I’m trying to make. I was surprised that some people seemed to think the UK is in good shape. It really isn’t. I know a lot of people in the same situation as you have described. We both have decent jobs but like I said in an earlier post if I was to be laid off or anything like that we would be in serious trouble. The work just isn’t there. I’m not trying to point score or be political I’m just being honest in the way I see the situation here . 

Tab- yeah I totally agree and it’s for similar reasons we have decided enough is enough. My misses works in Manchester so she knows exactly about the m62 traffic! Sounds like you and your family are having a fantastic time and it’s really encouraging to hear. 

Thanks again everyone for replying and for the advice . The way Liverpool are throwing this league away I might pack up an leave tomorrow 😭

• Like 2