What makes Britain GREAT.

bristolman

30 minutes ago, ramot said:

I often wonder when posters who knock Australia say they miss "culture " what they actually miss? Do they now go regularly to the theatre, art galleries, concerts?  because I have news for them we have them here and they are well attended. 

I don't think it is necessarily about art galleries and the theatre.  For what it's worth, culture wasn't one of our reasons for returning to the UK, but now we're here I kind of understand what people might mean.

I know that Australia is home to the most ancient civilisation on earth, but being a nomadic civilisation, the marks it has left on the landscape are very subtle and hard to find (and I say that as someone who studied some Australian archaeology at university level), so the history and culture of Australia isn't as obvious, if that makes sense.  It has also been very stable over the last 50,000 or so years, with very little outside influence until the last few hundred years.  The UK is different.  Civilisation here has built upon itself, layer upon layer, upon layer, with different cultures and influences coming and going, meaning that the material culture we have here (material culture being the stuff that people leave behind, the things that archaeologists and historians study) is far more plentiful and very easy to see.  I wonder if that is what people mean?  The ancient hedgerows, roman roads, castles, medieval houses, old churchyards, just the stuff that you see here every day.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, LKC said:

I don't think it is necessarily about art galleries and the theatre.  For what it's worth, culture wasn't one of our reasons for returning to the UK, but now we're here I kind of understand what people might mean.

I know that Australia is home to the most ancient civilisation on earth, but being a nomadic civilisation, the marks it has left on the landscape are very subtle and hard to find (and I say that as someone who studied some Australian archaeology at university level), so the history and culture of Australia isn't as obvious, if that makes sense.  It has also been very stable over the last 50,000 or so years, with very little outside influence until the last few hundred years.  The UK is different.  Civilisation here has built upon itself, layer upon layer, upon layer, with different cultures and influences coming and going, meaning that the material culture we have here (material culture being the stuff that people leave behind, the things that archaeologists and historians study) is far more plentiful and very easy to see.  I wonder if that is what people mean?  The ancient hedgerows, roman roads, castles, medieval houses, old churchyards, just the stuff that you see here every day.

I think wherever you live in the UK you will be surrounded by most of these things.  I totally took them for granted when living there.  There was an ancient military road which ran right through the farm where I was brought up, grave yards from 17th century and numerous nearby castles and abbeys and also many old mansion houses which have been turned into apartments or hotels.   I look at them through different eyes now and appreciate them much more than I did when I was a lot younger.

Have you been to Edinburgh yet LKC?  Steeped in history.  Great city.  

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, LKC said:

I do agree, my post was slightly tongue in cheek, as Australia is a fairly new country as regards the above. However it does have its own history which can't be compared to UK's history, but there are interesting places to visit, and I have visited every state. I would love to know just what culture many actually mean, and how many actually take advantage on their return of what's on offer, and whether many explored Australia while they were here.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ramot said:

I do agree, my post was slightly tongue in cheek, as Australia is a fairly new country as regards the above. However it does have its own history which can't be compared to UK's history, but there are interesting places to visit, and I have visited every state. I would love to know just what culture many actually mean, and how many actually take advantage on their return of what's on offer, and whether many explored Australia while they were here.

The vast majority of the people in England have little contact with UK specific cultural activities.  However there is a different ‘culture’ in the UK, particularly if you are outside of the larger cities.  If you loved meeting up with friends down your local pub in the village, town or suburb there is no real equivalent here for example.

I am interested in cricket, for example, and you would think that this is an obvious culture similarity but the whole cricket set up here is different to the UK.  It is much more difficult - and expensive - to join a club/team and the social aspect is different here.  Just one example I have personally noticed.  It isn’t bothering me at all but I have been interested to observe it.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Toots said:

I think wherever you live in the UK you will be surrounded by most of these things.  I totally took them for granted when living there.  There was an ancient military road which ran right through the farm where I was brought up, grave yards from 17th century and numerous nearby castles and abbeys and also many old mansion houses which have been turned into apartments or hotels.   I look at them through different eyes now and appreciate them much more than I did when I was a lot younger.

Have you been to Edinburgh yet LKC?  Steeped in history.  Great city.  

Yes, we've been a few times.  We love it there!  We're in York at the moment, having a couple of days stop on our way down to visit family in Birmingham.  Went to Etal Castle and Alnwick Castle yesterday on the way here, going to the Jorvik Viking centre, The Shambles, York Minster, the City Walls and York Castle Museum today.  Down to Birmingham tomorrow (via Leeds to have a look for a couple of family gravestones for information).  Will be visiting family in Birmingham, plus The Black Country Museum, Avoncroft Museum plus a couple of others, and a Silurian fossil bed (if I can find it).

ETA:  We are a family who actively go out and about to see things, whether here or in Australia though, which is maybe why culture wasn't one of our reasons to return.  

• Like 5

On 3/6/2018 at 09:23, maidensarah said:

I think it is grey most of the time. It was the thing I noticed most after coming back from a year in Australia. It must be grey as whenever it’s a sunny day it’s always a bit ’ooh what a lovely sunny day we’ve had’ kind of reaction. 

Saying that, one of the things that does put me off moving to Aus is how hot the weather could be in the future. I could cope with it now but what’s it going to be like for our children’s children etc.  

As a south african I dint find it grey at all, we have had the coldest winter for a decade, before that it was mild and sunny winters and long summers, I much prefer it to the blistering heat of Oz that will only get worse due to climate change.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

As a south african I dint find it grey at all, we have had the coldest winter for a decade, before that it was mild and sunny winters and long summers, I much prefer it to the blistering heat of Oz that will only get worse due to climate change.

I've lived in Perth and Sydney and I am an outdoors type of person.  I have never been sunburned - not even turned the slightest bit pink AND I don't cover myself in suncream either.  Anyway I'm in Tassie now - here on the north west coast it rarely reaches 30C on the hottest summer day.

Love York @LKC, so much to see and do, and have been to the Black Country Museum many times. South Wales is only a couple of hours from Birmingham so if looking to go a little further afield next time maybe consider a visit to the Museum of Welsh life, a great day out with free admission. Castell Coch is worth a look too, and perhaps Cardiff with its Victorian arcades, the Castle, Bute Park and the Water Bus, the Bay - lots to see and do (whatever the weather ;)).

But coming back the OP, it isn’t about what is wrong with Aus and right with the UK, or vice versa. They are different countries with different climates, history and focus. Where you feel most at home is down to what matters to you most as an individual and a family, and it’s only a problem if you find yourself in the ‘wrong’ place at the wrong time. Knowing that the sun shines more brightly in Aus doesn’t detract from a wet summer day in the UK – not if you are where you want to be,, doing stuff you like doing with people you care about. It's perhaps not that different to life anywhere in that respect. T x

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Perthbum said:

And climate change is not going to affect the uk ? 

5 hours ago, tea4too said:

Love York @LKC, so much to see and do, and have been to the Black Country Museum many times. South Wales is only a couple of hours from Birmingham so if looking to go a little further afield next time maybe consider a visit to the Museum of Welsh life, a great day out with free admission. Castell Coch is worth a look too, and perhaps Cardiff with its Victorian arcades, the Castle, Bute Park and the Water Bus, the Bay - lots to see and do (whatever the weather ;)).

But coming back the OP, it isn’t about what is wrong with Aus and right with the UK, or vice versa. They are different countries with different climates, history and focus. Where you feel most at home is down to what matters to you most as an individual and a family, and it’s only a problem if you find yourself in the ‘wrong’ place at the wrong time. Knowing that the sun shines more brightly in Aus doesn’t detract from a wet summer day in the UK – not if you are where you want to be,, doing stuff you like doing with people you care about. It's perhaps not that different to life anywhere in that respect. T x

We got soaked through to our undies today in York, despite wearing waterproofs, because we spent the whole day walking in and around a rain soaked York.  Despite the inconvenience of having to dry our clothing and walking boots on the radiators when we got back, we have had an absolutely fantastic day!  The kids have gone to bed tired and sore from the walking we did, and full of dreams of vikings and romans, and I will no doubt sleep well tonight too.  My face is glowing with happiness, although to be fair that could be down to the icy cold wind and rain!

Tomorrow we are off to Birmingham to see my 91 year old grandma.  It is her birthday tomorrow, so we are going to take her out for lunch.

• Like 7

On 02/04/2018 at 17:59, Gbye grey sky said:

The vast majority of the people in England have little contact with UK specific cultural activities.  However there is a different ‘culture’ in the UK, particularly if you are outside of the larger cities.  If you loved meeting up with friends down your local pub in the village, town or suburb there is no real equivalent here for example.

I am interested in cricket, for example, and you would think that this is an obvious culture similarity but the whole cricket set up here is different to the UK.  It is much more difficult - and expensive - to join a club/team and the social aspect is different here.  Just one example I have personally noticed.  It isn’t bothering me at all but I have been interested to observe it.

Im exactly the same with fishing. 

I loved my uk fishing,winding narrow rivers, lakes and ponds that are over grown and idyllic etc..people here say to me 'best fishing in the world here, you can catch a shark'......to me its not the same. Being in a certain tranquil place makes the experience for me...probably more than what fish I catch.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wattsy1982 said:

Im exactly the same with fishing. 

I loved my uk fishing,winding narrow rivers, lakes and ponds that are over grown and idyllic etc..people here say to me 'best fishing in the world here, you can catch a shark'......to me its not the same. Being in a certain tranquil place makes the experience for me...probably more than what fish I catch.

I admire anglers. I have mates that go fishing all over England, France, Spain and the pics look amazing.  I wish I could turn off and relax.  Unfortunately I have a very short attention span and get fidgety.  

8 minutes ago, simmo said:

I admire anglers. I have mates that go fishing all over England, France, Spain and the pics look amazing.  I wish I could turn off and relax.  Unfortunately I have a very short attention span and get fidgety.  

I am usually the most fidgety, foot tapping person and yet I can sit for hours, days fishing...I used to go fishing in France every year, was great!

• Like 1

On 2/4/2018 at 08:59, Gbye grey sky said:

Its strange isn't it, I used to be involved in target  rifle shooting in the UK and Australia has quite an active scene modelled on the UK but it seemed a million miles from the club scene in the UK, and the social scene I felt was very different,  Australia seemed to be dominated by a few strong personalities who seemed to be in competition with each other and people seemed to be much more competitive with each other,  maybe it's about how isolated organisations were in only the recent past.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2018 at 01:54, tea4too said:

This should be made a featured post somewhere on PomsinOz.  It sums it all up.

• Like 1

On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 13:27, simmo said:

The used to make me laugh in oz,  the beaches would have loads of tents scattered about and now and then humans would emerge covered from head to toe in sun suits, sun screen, sun hats, sun glasses.....  they would dip a toe in the  small section of water that wasn't flagged off as dangerous (rip tides, jellyfish, stone fish, sharks,....).

Oh what fun..

Where did you live mate? That's not the aussie beach culture I see nearly every day. Our local beach has a patrolled area but it's not restricted. You can go in anywhere you like for a swim. I've been over to Queensland and Sydney and there are some beaches there, when it's big surf that are strict about being in the flagged areas. It makes sense though as a lot of people can't swim very well.

People are down the beach every day, even in winter and swim kms. Sure there are sharks but you stand more chance of being injured in a car accident driving to the beach. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Where did you live mate? That's not the aussie beach culture I see nearly every day. Our local beach has a patrolled area but it's not restricted. You can go in anywhere you like for a swim. I've been over to Queensland and Sydney and there are some beaches there, when it's big surf that are strict about being in the flagged areas. It makes sense though as a lot of people can't swim very well.

People are down the beach every day, even in winter and swim kms. Sure there are sharks but you stand more chance of being injured in a car accident driving to the beach. 

doesnt sound like any place in oz ive ever seen & i saw a lot of beaches all round oz when i were backpacking. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

In parts of Queensland, at certain times of year, you can't go in the water because of stingers.  Of course, you could go in if you wanted, but you'd be pretty stupid!   

On the East Coast beaches in NSW, you are allowed to swim outside the flags but again, you'd be pretty stupid to do so - the rips are vicious, that's why the flags are there.   

As for the tents though - not something I've ever seen on Australian beaches.  In fact, it's one of the first things I noticed about Australian beaches.   Coming from Scotland, I'm used to long stretches of sandy beach - but when I was growing up, the beaches were always dotted with windbreaks (not tents) as families tried to have a day at the seaside in Scottish weather.  so the sight of a beach with no windbreaks, just people lying on towels in the open, was a novelty for me!   

Now that parents are more worried about exposing kids to the sun, maybe tents are getting more common.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

In parts of Queensland, at certain times of year, you can't go in the water because of stingers.  Of course, you could go in if you wanted, but you'd be pretty stupid!   

On the East Coast beaches in NSW, you are allowed to swim outside the flags but again, you'd be pretty stupid to do so - the rips are vicious, that's why the flags are there.   

As for the tents though - not something I've ever seen on Australian beaches.  In fact, it's one of the first things I noticed about Australian beaches.   Coming from Scotland, I'm used to long stretches of sandy beach - but when I was growing up, the beaches were always dotted with windbreaks (not tents) as families tried to have a day at the seaside in Scottish weather.  so the sight of a beach with no windbreaks, just people lying on towels in the open, was a novelty for me!   

Now that parents are more worried about exposing kids to the sun, maybe tents are getting more common.  

The good old wind breaks - everyone seemed to put one up before settling down at the beach when I was growing up.  The little shade tent things are handy for young children here.  If there is no shade from trees they are a good idea.

beach shelter.jpg