What makes Britain GREAT.

bristolman

3 hours ago, Toots said:

Do you see much of the sulphur-crested cockatoos?  

They visit occasionally...but only in summer.  There were a few flying around a few weeks ago.  I have no idea where their wintering place is -  in the northern midlands, perhaps?  I seem to recall farmers around that way complaining about them.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 14:44, simmo said:

I had my eyes tested a couple of years ago and the optician (yes optician) said I had severe UV damage.  Also rarely wore sunnies.  She said good sunnies are as important as a good sun lotion.  I think she really cared for me..  lots of body contact.

sure it weren't a bloke simmo ...." Should have gone to Specsavers " ?

• Haha 2

On 10/03/2018 at 14:44, simmo said:

I had my eyes tested a couple of years ago and the optician (yes optician) said I had severe UV damage.  Also rarely wore sunnies.  She said good sunnies are as important as a good sun lotion.  I think she really cared for me..  lots of body contact.

Did she say, 'oh you poor dear' alot?

13 minutes ago, Parley said:

Funny how everyone on here who says Britain is great, didn't used to think so because they moved to Australia in search of a much better life.

No, not everyone moved for a better life.  We had a great life in the UK before we moved.  Lived in a glorious part of the country, no money worries, owned our own home almost outright, great social life etc.  We moved to Australia for an adventure.  OH had a great job opportunity that came up, and we were in the right time in our lives to move, so we did.  We did it to experience something different, to broaden our horizons, and to see a bit of the planet that we hadn't been to before.  We didn't move back because we 'failed' or because our life wasn't better either.  We had a fab time in Sydney and financially we were much better off, but it was time to move on.  So we moved to Scotland, another adventure in a place we've not lived before.

BTW Simmo, I'm a female optometrist.  Any body contact is purely accidental, and simply because we have to get close in order to examine your eyes properly (to make sure you don't have a brain tumour and stuff).  I kept a little list of male patients who made me feel uncomfortable, and those patients would be booked in with a male optometrist for the next appointment.

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, Parley said:

Funny how everyone on here who says Britain is great, didn't used to think so because they moved to Australia in search of a much better life.

.....................  and many of us who were perfectly happy in the UK married Australians.  I did.  We lived happily in the UK for nearly 6 years - both in full time jobs - had a house but it was time for a change.  We didn't move for a better life.  Luckily everything worked out for us and we have many an adventure along the way.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Toots said:

.....................  and many of us who were perfectly happy in the UK married Australians.  I did.  We lived happily in the UK for nearly 6 years - both in full time jobs - had a house but it was time for a change.  We didn't move for a better life.  Luckily everything worked out for us and we have many an adventure along the way.

That's pretty much our story too. My wife missed Australia so we decided to come out here to address that. Life's good, but it's pretty much the same life that we lived back home. As public sector workers we earn more here than in the UK which obviously eases some of the financial pressures of having kids, mortgate etc, but our weekly routine is essentially the same as it was in London - work, commute, school run, chores, kids' after-school and weekend activities, family time, fall in an exhausted heap, rinse and repeat! :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

That's pretty much our story too. My wife missed Australia so we decided to come out here to address that. Life's good, but it's pretty much the same life that we lived back home. As public sector workers we earn more here than in the UK which obviously eases some of the financial pressures of having kids, mortgate etc, but our weekly routine is essentially the same as it was in London - work, commute, school run, chores, kids' after-school and weekend activities, family time, fall in an exhausted heap, rinse and repeat! :)

Nice to hear you are better off here anyway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Home and Happy said:

Several years of that overbearing suffocating dry heat in Perth and slapping on greasy sticky sunblock all the time makes me really appreciate the UK's seasons.

You've mentioned that before. 

Here in Tassie (north west coast) we've had a lovely, long, warm summer.  Crisper days now that autumn has arrived.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Home and Happy said:

Several years of that overbearing suffocating dry heat in Perth and slapping on greasy sticky sunblock all the time makes me really appreciate the UK's seasons.

So a complete lack of research on your part (Perth a dry heat SMNW!!)  lead your migration being unsuccessful and you heading back bitter and twisted..............fair play to you if your man enough to admit it.

3 minutes ago, Sandgroper said:

So a complete lack of research on your part (Perth a dry heat SMNW!!)  lead your migration being unsuccessful and you heading back bitter and twisted..............fair play to you if your man enough to admit it.

I'm just surprised s/he lasted several years.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Toots said:

You've mentioned that before. 

Here in Tassie (north west coast) we've had a lovely, long, warm summer.  Crisper days now that autumn has arrived.

It's also crisper mornings here in Perth had to put a jumper on this morning to walk the dog.......got a bit of a sweat on but had to put it on initially.

Lovely out there now though mid 20's and a clear blue sky.

Good list that. I think I appreciate the UK more now I'm here. I've really enjoyed Great British Train journeys series with Michael Portillo. Didn't like him at all as a politician but he's a clever and interesting guy on a program like that.

When we went back on holiday a few years ago it was nice to see how Manchester has improved. Both me and the wife used to work in Salford. Didn't recognise it, much better.

Always appreciated the countryside as I'm from Chesterfield originally and we used to bike to Chatsworth Park and Hardwick Hall. Pubs were a big part of growing up and I had great times. 

I even liked school but that was mostly because I was decent at sport and life revolved around football breaks, lunchtimes and after school. Had a great bunch of friends and I wouldn't change a thing about my childhood, teens and early adulthood.

As we got older though, married, had kids, mortgage the general greyness and lack of warm sunny weather affected us more. We had been used to having 3 or 4 weeks at least in Greece, Spain, Portugal for our dose of sun. Got married, mortgage, kids and couldn't afford it. The summer was crap and we got sick of taking the youngster to the local crappy park with wet weather gear on.

My wife started looking at schools where our youngster would have ended up and that was another factor in moving.

Wouldn't move back now but it's still a great place to live if you can put up with the weather and live in a nice part of the country.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

[Edit].......

Wouldn't move back now but it's still a great place to live if you can put up with the weather and live in a nice part of the country.

I agree that the UK is a great place to live and we do live in a nice part of the country which helps, but it's not always a case of putting up with the weather tbh as I like the seasons and temperate climate. The older I get the more I seem to prefer it - the sky may never be quite as wide and bright as the one in Aus, but a softer shade of blue and  gently changing clouds can still put a spring in your step! The climate is responsible for much of what we take for granted in terms of the coastline and national parks, but you only need to take  a short trip from most city centres to discover pretty villages, fields and hedgerows. Our wildlife too is supported by the weather the country experiences.

I do get why  bright sunshine and wide blue skies are probably high on the agenda for many Aus migrants but, in the same way, unpredictable, generally mild, short lived extremes of weather can be a bonus for some UK residents too. T x

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, tea4too said:

I agree that the UK is a great place to live and we do live in a nice part of the country which helps, but it's not always a case of putting up with the weather tbh as I like the seasons and temperate climate. The older I get the more I seem to prefer it - the sky may never be quite as wide and bright as the one in Aus, but a softer shade of blue and  gently changing clouds can still put a spring in your step! The climate is responsible for much of what we take for granted in terms of the coastline and national parks, but you only need to take  a short trip from most city centres to discover pretty villages, fields and hedgerows. Our wildlife too is supported by the weather the country experiences.

I do get why  bright sunshine and wide blue skies are probably high on the agenda for many Aus migrants but, in the same way, unpredictable, generally mild, short lived extremes of weather can be a bonus for some UK residents too. T x

Where in Australia did you live?

1 hour ago, tea4too said:

As much as I love Oz, the above I do miss. The Lakes or Skye, and their hamlets, at any time of the year is wonderful, but looking from a (designated) viewpoint anywhere in Qld, (that I have visited) at any time of the year, just doesn't cut it with me. Out of order here (possibly) but deforestation can lead to wonderful views but unfortunately, whenever I follow a "designated viewpoint" sign in Oz, all I see is growth in front of that viewpoint...........lack of maintenance or pandering to greenies I have no idea, but it's been like that since first I set foot in Oz. I sometimes wonder how disappointed tourists must be following the "beaten track" as designated by tourist board and google?

I have to admit, that to experience Oz you have to ignore "viewpoints" and find your own, no matter what the weather.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Good list that. I think I appreciate the UK more now I'm here. I've really enjoyed Great British Train journeys series with Michael Portillo. Didn't like him at all as a politician but he's a clever and interesting guy on a program like that.

When we went back on holiday a few years ago it was nice to see how Manchester has improved. Both me and the wife used to work in Salford. Didn't recognise it, much better.

Always appreciated the countryside as I'm from Chesterfield originally and we used to bike to Chatsworth Park and Hardwick Hall. Pubs were a big part of growing up and I had great times. 

I even liked school but that was mostly because I was decent at sport and life revolved around football breaks, lunchtimes and after school. Had a great bunch of friends and I wouldn't change a thing about my childhood, teens and early adulthood.

As we got older though, married, had kids, mortgage the general greyness and lack of warm sunny weather affected us more. We had been used to having 3 or 4 weeks at least in Greece, Spain, Portugal for our dose of sun. Got married, mortgage, kids and couldn't afford it. The summer was crap and we got sick of taking the youngster to the local crappy park with wet weather gear on.

My wife started looking at schools where our youngster would have ended up and that was another factor in moving.

good post Paul - and I see the best and worst ....sometimes all in one day ?

rural Warwickshire and Malvern yesterday .....west brom and Wolverhampton today

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Home and Happy said:

It's strange but I've lived in Perth for 28 years and don't spend the summer 'slapping on greasy sticky sunblock'. Obviously I'm doing something wrong :P

• Haha 1