Quality of life for kids

MissMissingEurope

To this I just reply, we wanted to come home! [emoji6]

I have the same feedback from others here in Australia and at home about moving back (we move back in August this year); I reply Australia has been good to us but it isn't home. I try and be positive in my response as people may think we are just winging poms which we see not...
  • Like 1

We moved back to the UK in September, and I can honestly say it is absolutely the best thing we have ever done!

We lived in Sydney for almost nine years.  We went over there originally because OH was offered a job, we'd always talked about living overseas, and our kids were little (1 and 2) so easy to move.  We had a fantastic time there.  Saw things that we'd never dreamed of, lived the dream with the big house with a pool in Sydney.  However, although none of us were ever homesick, as time went on OH and I felt more isolated, less settled and less happy.  I reckon for the last three or so years I was living in a kind of twilight.  Existence rather than living.  It wasn't home and we didn't belong.

We went for a holiday to the UK in September/October 2016.  Mostly we were visiting family, but for a week of that we were on holiday as a family in Scotland.  Whilst on holiday it hit me that we were in the wrong place.  I confided in my husband who agreed that whilst he wasn't unhappy in Australia he would be quite happy to move back to the UK.  We consulted the children, and whilst they were upset initially, they soon started to look forwards to our new adventure.

We lived in Suffolk before we moved to Aus, but we lived there because we ended up there, and whilst it was a nice place to live, it wasn't somewhere we would have chosen.  So, when moving back to the UK we were very careful to pick the perfect place, through hundreds of hours of research.  We looked at Bath/Bristol, Yorkshire, Northumbria and Scotland.  OH was offered a job in Scotland, so I concentrated my search within commuting areas of work and found the most perfect place for us.

Don't give up on the dream.  We are in Scotland, where apparently it is cold and it rains permanently (it doesn't, today we had blue sky and sunshine all day, as we have had more often than not).  Our kids are incredibly happy at school. Eldest (who has Asperger's) has had loads of help/support, with a learning support teacher at school and the involvement of an occupational therapist.  Politics is a bit crap at the moment, and I've no idea what is going to happen with Brexit, but the UK is the most glorious place to live, and I am absolutely sure that moving back is the right thing for us to have done.

The kids are obsessed with Blue Peter, eldest earned a badge recently...the UK is great!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 04:30, MissMissingEurope said:

Hi everyone, i'm a new member on here but a long-time reader of the MBTTUK forum! I've been in Perth for 8 years now with my husband and have 2 kids who are 4 and 1. We are all dual UK/Aus citizens. We have been considering moving back for years now and have pretty much decided that we will do it, but it will take us a couple of years to organise everything and save up enough money to do it. We have already ping-ponged once over 10 years ago so we are aware that both places have their pros and cons and we aren't looking at the UK through rose-tinted glasses/with a grass is greener outlook. 

Reasons for moving back: wanting to be closer to friends and family, boredom with Perth, not liking the isolation, hating suburbia, bored of the samey weather and lack of distinct seasons, missing Europe (oh so much! I have NEVER stopped missing Europe since we arrived here) and the ability to travel cheaply, wanting our kids to grow up being able to experience all the Europe has to offer instead of living in the insular bubble that is Perth. 

We aren't sure where in the UK we will move back to yet. I feel that if we are going to move back, we need to do it soon because if we stay here too long we will get "stuck" here.. our kids will become proper aussies, they will attend high school then probably uni in oz, may settle and have kids here and then it will be so hard to move back! At least if we move soon and it doesn't work out, we can always come back before the kids start high school (though i doubt we would do that). I have met elderly British people here who long to go back to the UK but are stuck here because they have kids and grandkids here. I just cannot see myself living here into old age. 

The thing is, whenever I mention this plan to anyone (family included), I get really negative reactions and people telling me that it would be a terrible mistake to move our kids away from this place that apparently is "the best place in the world to raise kids". They make out like the UK is some third world country that's a terrible place for families and it really makes me worry that they are right and we are going to make a terrible mistake. They also comment on how awful the UK weather and act like we would be crazy to go back to it but honestly, i''m bored of the Perth weather.. i'm sure i'll miss the heat but weather is not everything. 

Because of the negative reactions, sometimes I feel like giving up on the dream of going back and just accepting that the best thing for our kids is just to stay here, even if we don't want to. Then again, I don't want to look back in 10 or 20 years and think "what if?"

I guess i'm just looking for some reassurance from someone.. did you move with young kids and find that it was actually ok? Do your kids have a good quality of life in the UK? Has anyone had similar negative reactions from people?

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 04:30, MissMissingEurope said:

Hi everyone, i'm a new member on here but a long-time reader of the MBTTUK forum! I've been in Perth for 8 years now with my husband and have 2 kids who are 4 and 1. We are all dual UK/Aus citizens. We have been considering moving back for years now and have pretty much decided that we will do it, but it will take us a couple of years to organise everything and save up enough money to do it. We have already ping-ponged once over 10 years ago so we are aware that both places have their pros and cons and we aren't looking at the UK through rose-tinted glasses/with a grass is greener outlook. 

Reasons for moving back: wanting to be closer to friends and family, boredom with Perth, not liking the isolation, hating suburbia, bored of the samey weather and lack of distinct seasons, missing Europe (oh so much! I have NEVER stopped missing Europe since we arrived here) and the ability to travel cheaply, wanting our kids to grow up being able to experience all the Europe has to offer instead of living in the insular bubble that is Perth. 

We aren't sure where in the UK we will move back to yet. I feel that if we are going to move back, we need to do it soon because if we stay here too long we will get "stuck" here.. our kids will become proper aussies, they will attend high school then probably uni in oz, may settle and have kids here and then it will be so hard to move back! At least if we move soon and it doesn't work out, we can always come back before the kids start high school (though i doubt we would do that). I have met elderly British people here who long to go back to the UK but are stuck here because they have kids and grandkids here. I just cannot see myself living here into old age. 

The thing is, whenever I mention this plan to anyone (family included), I get really negative reactions and people telling me that it would be a terrible mistake to move our kids away from this place that apparently is "the best place in the world to raise kids". They make out like the UK is some third world country that's a terrible place for families and it really makes me worry that they are right and we are going to make a terrible mistake. They also comment on how awful the UK weather and act like we would be crazy to go back to it but honestly, i''m bored of the Perth weather.. i'm sure i'll miss the heat but weather is not everything. 

Because of the negative reactions, sometimes I feel like giving up on the dream of going back and just accepting that the best thing for our kids is just to stay here, even if we don't want to. Then again, I don't want to look back in 10 or 20 years and think "what if?"

I guess i'm just looking for some reassurance from someone.. did you move with young kids and find that it was actually ok? Do your kids have a good quality of life in the UK? Has anyone had similar negative reactions from people?

the only advice I will give you ,and I have said it many times .....it depends where you move back to .

my children , now grown up ,have had a great life , the youngest ,18 is in the canary islands right now .....god help us ???.

you lose in one hand here , and gain on the other .

the winter is long ,but hasn't been particularly cold , and now April - Oct is around the corner, and the u.k in the spring , summer ,autumn , if the weather is half decent ,with a few quid in your pocket ,there is nowhere better , and the choice is massive

just choose wisely where you move back to ....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

the only advice I will give you ,and I have said it many times .....it depends where you move back to .

my children , now grown up ,have had a great life , the youngest ,18 is in the canary islands right now .....god help us ???.

the winter is long ,but hasn't been particularly cold , and now April - Oct is around the corner, and the u.k in the spring , summer ,autumn , if the weather is half decent ,with a few quid in your pocket ,there is nowhere better , and the choice is massive

I will have to disagree with you on this, the winter is anything but long, it really only kicks off in November and we start seeing the end of it in March. I know you don't like the winter but it really isn't long nowadays. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

what do I mean by choose wisely

take Wolverhampton as an example ....it has its problems like anywhere else ...parts of the inner city are rough as arseholes ...but within 20 miles are the likes of kinver,arley and bridgnorth.....a different world .

like going back 50 years .....safe environment for the kids .....loads of open space ....days by the river .....some beautiful shops and eateries .....lovely

15 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

what do I mean by choose wisely

take Wolverhampton as an example ....it has its problems like anywhere else ...parts of the inner city are rough as arseholes ...but within 20 miles are the likes of kinver,arley and bridgnorth.....a different world .

like going back 50 years .....safe environment for the kids .....loads of open space ....days by the river .....some beautiful shops and eateries .....lovely

You are actually asking yourself questions now lol ;) It's as I always say you have to choose wisely wherever you are in the world. We were talking about this yesterday, there was an area called Woodridge, just 10 minutes drive from us in Brisbane but an area you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. 

The variables are limitless, so it does depend on your individual situation. For many the pull back to the UK is due to family and for those of us that bring up children over here in the absence of grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles etc the dynamics and challenges are quite different. 

I also think that money is important, if you can afford to live well in either country that helps, however for instance in my occupation the salaries and conditions are considerably higher in Australia than the UK which of course means we can live a better quality of life with our children. 

Also I think its about comparing like for like. It's very easy to stereotype Australia based on one city (Perth for instance), and yet the climate, lifestyle and culture varies considerably between of all the states and major cities. Life can be very different depending on where you live and even within the same city depending on what area you settle on. I think in the UK it's even more important to choose carefully where you live and if we were ever to go back we would focus on schooling and quality of life and would live where it best suited the children. I come from South Yorkshire, so pretty much anywhere in Australia is better than that, even a remote station in the outback... However, living in wealthier towns and the nicer parts of major cities will provide a completely different life to some of the dying towns in the UK. 

Ultimately, I would say make a logical decision based on the pros and cons, but I'm sure if you live in the right area within a good school catchment life could be amazing. 

The sad part is when people make a decision based on the emotions on one selfish parent who 'is lonely/misses family' without putting their children's wellbeing at the forefront. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, CaptainR said:

The variables are limitless, so it does depend on your individual situation. For many the pull back to the UK is due to family and for those of us that bring up children over here in the absence of grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles etc the dynamics and challenges are quite different. 

I also think that money is important, if you can afford to live well in either country that helps, however for instance in my occupation the salaries and conditions are considerably higher in Australia than the UK which of course means we can live a better quality of life with our children. 

Also I think its about comparing like for like. It's very easy to stereotype Australia based on one city (Perth for instance), and yet the climate, lifestyle and culture varies considerably between of all the states and major cities. Life can be very different depending on where you live and even within the same city depending on what area you settle on. I think in the UK it's even more important to choose carefully where you live and if we were ever to go back we would focus on schooling and quality of life and would live where it best suited the children. I come from South Yorkshire, so pretty much anywhere in Australia is better than that, even a remote station in the outback... However, living in wealthier towns and the nicer parts of major cities will provide a completely different life to some of the dying towns in the UK. 

Ultimately, I would say make a logical decision based on the pros and cons, but I'm sure if you live in the right area within a good school catchment life could be amazing. 

The sad part is when people make a decision based on the emotions on one selfish parent who 'is lonely/misses family' without putting their children's wellbeing at the forefront. 

It's a pleasure to read your posts Captain R.  A good open minded point of view so unlike the pro Aussie and pro UK brigade.  I get so tired of reading the same old same old cr@p.  "The UK is rubbish" then it has to be retaliated with "Australia is rubbish".  How old are these people?  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Parley said:

It is the bitter cold and the biting wind that is the main problem, not the constant drizzle.

Does the UK really get weather like that anymore?  When I was a lad back in the 70's and 80's, the winters were much fiercer than they are now. I can remember playing cricket on the Leeds-Liverpool Canal when it froze one winter, huge numbers of sporting events being postponed because of frozen pitches and race-tracks, and schools being closed due to heavy snow or freezing fog. Nowadays my family back home say that the winter weather is well, just a bit bland really. Chilly, rainy, often overcast, but nothing too severe. Maybe that's why we seem to struggle so much with snow when it falls, because it's a bit of a novelty now?

One thing I guess that will never change about a UK winter is the darkness. It never bothered me, but it must be horrific for people who suffer from S.A.D.

• Like 1

Before Perth we lived in London for 15 years, i went to college and University in London and you wont believe it. Not once did i ever say... this weather is bad.. 

You wrap up warm and comfortable and feel fresh and alive and just get out. It was lovely coming back to a warm cosy home with the radiators on enjoying winter dishes.

Cant wait to get back to the UK. Will be there beginning of April.

Dont mind that stuff falling from the sky !

:-)

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

Does the UK really get weather like that anymore?  When I was a lad back in the 70's and 80's, the winters were much fiercer than they are now. I can remember playing cricket on the Leeds-Liverpool Canal when it froze one winter, huge numbers of sporting events being postponed because of frozen pitches and race-tracks, and schools being closed due to heavy snow or freezing fog. Nowadays my family back home say that the winter weather is well, just a bit bland really. Chilly, rainy, often overcast, but nothing too severe. Maybe that's why we seem to struggle so much with snow when it falls, because it's a bit of a novelty now?

One thing I guess that will never change about a UK winter is the darkness. It never bothered me, but it must be horrific for people who suffer from S.A.D.

I did that too (as well as many other things) on the Leeds Liverpool canal, the Kirkstall and Burley section in Leeds, where was your section?

28 minutes ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

No you don't get weather like that here anymore, winters are generally mild, don't start until December and are usually over by the start of March. Even the really short days just don't seem to last long, we commented just today driving home from Cheltenham how it was 6.45 and not totally dark. I suffer a little bit from SAD but nothing major. 

• Like 1