Quality of life for kids

MissMissingEurope

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 04:30, MissMissingEurope said:

The thing is, whenever I mention this plan to anyone (family included), I get really negative reactions and people telling me that it would be a terrible mistake to move our kids away from this place that apparently is "the best place in the world to raise kids". 

They also comment on how awful the UK weather and act like we would be crazy to go back to it but honestly, i''m bored of the Perth weather.. 

I guess i'm just looking for some reassurance from someone.. did you move with young kids and find that it was actually ok? Do your kids have a good quality of life in the UK? Has anyone had similar negative reactions from people?

Hi there - we got the same negative thing too but we  ignored it.  Mostly from bitter frustrated folk caught in a rut, stuck in the rat race living month to month as you do out there. Most with no brains to question it, no guts to openly admit it, just grinning and bearing it and telling themselves it would get better but it never does.  Looking back, most of them would secretly have given anything to get back home to Britain.   As for the weather,  the dry suffocating desert heat and going almost the whole year hardly seeing rain is depressing.  Kids have a good quality of life here. Once they get to teenage years the teen culture they have in UK is so much more happening for them than living an existence on a suburb....I would not wish that on anybody over the age of 13 years old.  Life is for living. 

Edited by Home and Happy
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Home and Happy said:

bitter frustrated folk caught in a rut, stuck in the rat race living month to month as you do out there. Most with no brains to question it, no guts to openly admit it, just grinning and bearing it and telling themselves it would get better but it never does.  

I can't help feeling you're describing yourself there.  It's fairly obvious you hated Australia for most of the time you were there, yet for some stupid reason - pride?  not wanting to admit you'd made a mistake?  - you stayed for years, steadily getting more and more bitter towards Australia.  Why did you put yourselves through so much misery? 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 7

I have never been to Perth.  But your version of Australia is nothing like the Australia where I live.   I have NEVER  experienced 

dry suffocating desert heat and going almost the whole year hardly seeing rain 

So please refer to Perth, not Australia, when you bang on. incessantly   I have many UK friends  some of them go back  for holidays but return saying..".it was nice to see family/friends but I wouldn't want to live there again".  The others are not interested even in returning for holidays any more.

• Like 2

Just now, Skani said:

I have never been to Perth.  But your version of Australia is nothing like the Australia where I live.   I have NEVER  experienced 

So please refer to Perth, not Australia, when you bang on. incessantly   I have many UK friends  some of them go back  for holidays but return saying..".it was nice to see family/friends but I wouldn't want to live there again".  The others are not interested even in returning for holidays any more.

Skani ... a lot of the comments aren't  the Perth I recognise either.  Perth isn't perfect by any means and doesn't suit everyone (bit like the rest of the world in that respect), but there are a lot of gross generalisations   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ali said:

Skani ... a lot of the comments aren't  the Perth I recognise either.  Perth isn't perfect by any means and doesn't suit everyone (bit like the rest of the world in that respect), but there are a lot of gross generalisations   

You know how those of us living happily in the UK feel when we read the silly comments on here then. I'm not saying it's right in either direction but people feel the need to 'retaliate' for want of a better word. 

4 hours ago, Home and Happy said:

.I would not wish that on anybody over the age of 13 years old.  Life is for living. 

I think it's a very subjective thing.  My two now 23 and 18 have thrived here and my daughter has said she's glad to have had her teenage years in Australia.  They  haven't been disadvantaged living here, nor would they have been disadvantaged living in the UK.  The only major difference for us personally was that my daughter accessed a GATE programme here which hadn't been available throughout her schooling in the UK.    As has often been said - they're two first world countries and if children are happy and secure within their recognised family unit then they'll do ok.

6 minutes ago, bristolman said:

You know how those of us living happily in the UK feel when we read the silly comments on here then. I'm not saying it's right in either direction but people feel the need to 'retaliate' for want of a better word. 

Yes I do, although I think there's a lot more Perth bashing and gross generalisations of the people who like it here than there is about the UK.  ... But back on topic before I have to give myself an infraction lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, ali said:

Skani ... a lot of the comments aren't  the Perth I recognise either. 

Yes, I realise that ali.  It's my pet peeve about PIO - people who refer to "Australia" based on their experience of one place only.

• Like 3

I went back to England for a holiday in 1996 and stayed for twelve years  so I''d never knock anybody for doing, or wanting to do, the same thing but it can be a difficult experience. For one thing, however much you think you dislike Australia, it has a habit of "growing" on you which you don't realize until you are back in the UK. Then there is the difference between going back on holiday, often in spring and summer when it looks particularly wonderful, and going back to "live" especially during the winter.

My experience of going back to England, and coming back to Australia is that it was like emigrating all over again so this time around I am loathe to uproot myself again. Having said that I had such a good holiday in Perth I am tempted to move over there.

Another possible problem is finding out that friends, and sometimes even family have somehow "changed" - they have moved on, you have moved on. At the very least, before you make the move, wait until you have Permanent Residence or preferably Australian citizenship.

3 hours ago, bristolman said:

Yes, but it's the same both ways. We should probably have a ban on people expressing an opinion on AUSTRALIA or BRITAIN.  No one can really do that, unless they've lived in every state/county.  All we can really do is talk about the areas we've actually lived in, or spent substantial time in, whichever country we're talking about.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bristolman said:

You would think they could just let go their angst.  Talk about bitter and twisted.  You are right though, it goes both ways.  I've read comments from folk raving on about how crap the UK is but it just isn't.  As my old granny used to say "there's nowt as queer as folk".  I know exactly what she meant.  :cute:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Toots said:

You would think they could just let go their angst.  Talk about bitter and twisted.  You are right though, it goes both ways.  I've read comments from folk raving on about how crap the UK is but it just isn't.  As my old granny used to say "there's nowt as queer as folk".  I know exactly what she meant.  :cute:

.....................  Oh and by the way what my granny said specifically refers to a certain poster whose name I won't mention because I would risk getting an infraction or even worse - banned.  :P

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I went back to England for a holiday in 1996 and stayed for twelve years  so I''d never knock anybody for doing, or wanting to do, the same thing but it can be a difficult experience. For one thing, however much you think you dislike Australia, it has a habit of "growing" on you which you don't realize until you are back in the UK. Then there is the difference between going back on holiday, often in spring and summer when it looks particularly wonderful, and going back to "live" especially during the winter.

My experience of going back to England, and coming back to Australia is that it was like emigrating all over again so this time around I am loathe to uproot myself again. Having said that I had such a good holiday in Perth I am tempted to move over there.

Another possible problem is finding out that friends, and sometimes even family have somehow "changed" - they have moved on, you have moved on. At the very least, before you make the move, wait until you have Permanent Residence or preferably Australian citizenship.

Are you sure about that statement Mary? You haven't previously referred to unsettled British people or those who've returned to live in the UK as 'whingers?' 

Just checking! :biggrin:

I do agree though that the transition between countries is a tough one, and maybe one that gets tougher with age as we run out of energy to uproot ourselves again? That said, I'm aiming to do just that upon retirement! Unlike yourself, for me, Australia has never felt like home, and so has never 'grown' on me. I find it a perfectly pleasant place and as a family we've been very happy here, but once our kids have flown the nest and the in-laws have passed there won't be anything to keep us here. :)

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

Are you sure about that statement Mary? You haven't previously referred to unsettled British people or those who've returned to live in the UK as 'whingers?' 

Just checking! :biggrin:

I do agree though that the transition between countries is a tough one, and maybe one that gets tougher with age as we run out of energy to uproot ourselves again? That said, I'm aiming to do just that upon retirement! Unlike yourself, for me, Australia has never felt like home, and so has never 'grown' on me. I find it a perfectly pleasant place and as a family we've been very happy here, but once our kids have flown the nest and the in-laws have passed there won't be anything to keep us here. :)

......................  and best wishes to you.  :)  I don't think you will be the type to moan constantly about your awful experiences in Australia.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, but it's the same both ways. We should probably have a ban on people expressing an opinion on AUSTRALIA or BRITAIN.  No one can really do that, unless they've lived in every state/county.  All we can really do is talk about the areas we've actually lived in, or spent substantial time in, whichever country we're talking about.  

Yes but that's what I was saying, it works both ways. When someone talks about the UK and says the weather is crap for most of the year or there is rubbish everywhere or my favourite that everyone is miserable they get people liking their comments even though it's absurd. People say they are sick of comments about Perth, thats fair enough but I bet those same people make no objection to ridiculous comments about the UK as a whole. 

18 minutes ago, bristolman said:

Yes but that's what I was saying, it works both ways. When someone talks about the UK and says the weather is crap for most of the year or there is rubbish everywhere or my favourite that everyone is miserable they get people liking their comments even though it's absurd. People say they are sick of comments about Perth, thats fair enough but I bet those same people make no objection to ridiculous comments about the UK as a whole. 

Well, I for one (being sick of the Perth comments), equally object to the never ending Aus V UK .. mine is bigger/better than yours type of posts and how it mars a lot of the threads that are on PIO.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ali said:

Well, I for one (being sick of the Perth comments), equally object to the never ending Aus V UK .. mine is bigger/better than yours type of posts and how it mars a lot of the threads that are on PIO.

My very thoughts too.

• Like 1

Just now, ali said:

You object to the UK v OZ debates and rightly so but you yourself often 'like' very inaccurate comments about the UK. Looking from a personal point of view lots of very personal comments seem to be tolerated which is also wrong. If I am in shorts and t-shirt it is made out that I am clearly lying. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bristolman said:

You object to the UK v OZ debates and rightly so but you yourself often 'like' very inaccurate comments about the UK. Looking from a personal point of view lots of very personal comments seem to be tolerated which is also wrong. If I am in shorts and t-shirt it is made out that I am clearly lying. 

I might not be liking the inaccurate comment .. it may be that the post has made me laugh/smile (if you want to PM me to check out my reasons please feel free)  .. but I do find it a little sad  that you spend time taking note of what other members are liking .. I don't have the time or inclination to do that.

ETA - the thread needs to get back on track .. please do PM me if you wish to continue the conversation.

• Like 3

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 06:13, Quoll said:

Yup. Marisa has hit the nail on the head. Do not let yourself drift past the point of no return - it’s all too easy to paddle along then you find yourself up the proverbial creek and your paddle has disintegrated.  There is absolutely nothing that makes Australia “better” than anywhere else. It’s another first world country and as long as you’re not planning on moving back to Mogadishu there’s nothing to say things are going to be worse for the kids - there may even be other benefits which (heaven forbid) make it better than what they now have.

Kids generally appreciate the extended family contact, having grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins around, it’s a kind of security blanket for them. However, never imagine that you are going back to exactly what you had - if you’re one of the lucky ones, you might slot straight back in, but as a lot of folk have found, the holes left in other peoples’ lives by their departure have healed over, often with scar tissue, and there isn’t the space there any more.  Move forwards to your next adventure!

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 06:13, Quoll said:

Yup. Marisa has hit the nail on the head. Do not let yourself drift past the point of no return - it’s all too easy to paddle along then you find yourself up the proverbial creek and your paddle has disintegrated.  There is absolutely nothing that makes Australia “better” than anywhere else. It’s another first world country and as long as you’re not planning on moving back to Mogadishu there’s nothing to say things are going to be worse for the kids - there may even be other benefits which (heaven forbid) make it better than what they now have.

Kids generally appreciate the extended family contact, having grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins around, it’s a kind of security blanket for them. However, never imagine that you are going back to exactly what you had - if you’re one of the lucky ones, you might slot straight back in, but as a lot of folk have found, the holes left in other peoples’ lives by their departure have healed over, often with scar tissue, and there isn’t the space there any more.  Move forwards to your next adventure!

agree with all of that quoll...especially about how perceive how life will be

my mates that iam close to ,are from all the way back to infants and juniors ?

best man ....havent seen him for 15 years

some of my best mates pre oz ....it wasn't the same when I got back ...because I had changed

and I steer clear of a lot of people now .

iam very secure in my own skin

• Like 1

people can't come on this thread with its clear forum title and get annoyed when people say good things about the UK and bad about AUS.

Its like going to a concert of a musician you hate and moaning about their music and getting annoyed that the rest of the fans like it and have positive things to say about it....baffles me!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, wattsy1982 said:

people can't come on this thread with its clear forum title and get annoyed when people say good things about the UK and bad about AUS.

Its like going to a concert of a musician you hate and moaning about their music and getting annoyed that the rest of the fans like it and have positive things to say about it....baffles me!

Yes I realise that wattsy but I'm just a nosey and I admit I do get a bit peeved at the moaning.  I'm off to take a chill  pill.  :laugh:

How are your plans going for your move back?

• Like 1

On 3/5/2018 at 10:54, wattsy1982 said:

No, we get annoyed when people exaggerate or distort the truth.  I have no problem with people saying good things or bad things about either country, IF they are accurate

• Like 5