Why am i reading so many "moving back to the UK posts??

EmmaGiggles85

7 hours ago, Quoll said:

You’ve never visited but you feel like you belong there? I think I would be a bit concerned too! When I was about 12 I was certain that I belonged in Australia too. I’d seen Robert Mitchum (my heart throb of the day) in The Sundowners and just knew it was for me. That’s about as ridiculous as someone watching WDU and H&A these days and “falling in love” with the place. But in my defenceI was only a kid. On my first holiday to Aus as a student I met and fell in love with the Aussie chap I married 44 years ago and though we lived in PNG and UK at first we ended up in Australia in the longer term (32 years). Our family is now split - one son UK (better opportunities, love of his life, good career, own home), other son Australia (series of disasters for him but he says he’s happy enough) we are currently in UK caring for elderly relatives. My grandkids will never live on the same continent.

I have no idea what, exactly, you think is going to make Australia the place of your dreams but, bottom line, it’s just another first world country with all those first world country problems, too many immigrants, crap government, limited opportunities, overcrowded cities, soulless suburbs, rife drug use, homelessness, too high taxation, rampant consumerism etc etc that all other first world countries have. You don’t become miraculously wealthy overnight, your kids don’t magically acquire IQ points or good looks on the flight over, you still have to work (with fewer holidays), pay the bills, clean the bathroom. You’ll do it on your own, isolated from your folk, it’ll take “just” a 24 hour flight to get back to them but in reality that’s actually going to be at least 4 day’s by the time you’ve organised and got going so hope you never need to get back in a hurry and it’ll cost you thousands for the pleasure.

Im not saying don’t go. If you have a yen for adventure then by all means give it a crack. But don’t expect it to be a squeaky clean “new life” with everything looking like it does on the telly. Expect to have to be fiercely independent, expect it to split your family (once you give your kids a taste of adventure they do tend to scatter to the 4 winds), expect not to have those close friendships with lifelong mates, don’t expect the House with pool overlooking to beach unless you’re well minted, don’t be surprised if you feel colder than you ever did in winter or hotter than you’ve ever been in summer. Don’t be surprised if you can’t get a job for months, don’t be surprised if the locals couldn’t give a toss that you’re British, you’ll just be another bloody immigrant to them. The friends that say they’ll visit rarely do.

I tend to think that if you’re of an adventurous frame of mind then there’s nothing wrong with a good adventure. If you like it, you win. If you hate it you move on, the trick is to realise if it’s working for you and it’s the best thing since sliced bread you’re home free but if it isn’t working then don’t keep on bashing your head against the brick wall but move on before you get stuck and you drift past the point of no return (financially, emotionally, family ties etc). Nothing has to be forever just don’t burn your bridges in the process of trying - don’t quit your jobs, take a career break, don’t sell your home, etc

It’ll either work or it won’t but it’ll be an adventure. You don’t have to stay there forever

So well written as always. Totally agree re the friends visiting. The odd ones may do once but unless you have very wealthy friends who want to spend much of their annual holidays visiting you at the cost of thousands it just doesn't happen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

I lived in Sydney for 20 years and  loved the place but 20 years ago I didn't think too hard about how my elderly mother would cope on her own. For starters my dad was still around. Circumstances change. 

And as pomqueen says the exchange rate hadxa big effect.  Thanks to a soaring Sydney  housing market and a big fall in the pound I can afford to move back without worrying about the money side of things. It is a lousy time to sell up and leave the UK conversely it's a grest time to go the other way. Hence the imbalance of people going back. Many who were thinking about it are now putting plans into action

The exchange rate and the property market in Sydney definitely helped us make our decision, and it has put us in a very comfortable position.

We didn't decide to move back for any reason in particular, and we loved Australia and Sydney when we lived there, it was more that the cons of living there started to outweigh the pros.  We never said it would be forever, just as we haven't said our move to Scotland is forever.  Whilst the pros outweigh the cons we stay, once it tips over we move.  Nothing has to be permanent.

• Like 6

I have browsed the forum over different periods and have noticed shifts like The pom queen says. I have also noticed recently that the UK Chat section seems to be the most frequently updated. This will often be very pro UK as this is the choice people have made. Whatever decision people make in life they will seek confirmation that it is the right one. Somewhat ironically, it is also where I have heard for the first time about recent large scale terror attacks in the UK. Those who dislike the UK may comment on how these attacks affect our everyday lives for the worse over here, whereas in reality life is no different and I found out via an Australian forum.
We have a great life here, some aspects may be less desirable in Australia if we go ie. we live opposite a beach here but are looking at an area about 5km inland in Australia. other aspects we hope may be preferable for us (not so cold winters as we are looking at sunshine coast). Here we can surf without threat of sharks but have to contend with ice cream headaches in colder months. pros and cons to each. 
Once we have our visas we will only go if I have a job in advance. We will rent our house out here and aim for 5 years in Australia in which we hope can get citizenship. It is an itch I have always wanted to scratch. I wouldn't move to a lot of areas in Australia however, as I prefer where we are now in the uk. It is a vast place and likes or dislikes for an entire country  can't really be based on one place. 
I feel sometimes that we as a family have gone too far in looking for the negatives in Australia so that we don't have an unrealistic view. It is a confusing time and I know if we do make the move I will have night terrors of 'what have we done'. On the other hand the thought of doing my same job day in day out for the next 30 years fills me with dread - and I love my job! Nothing is forever. If we go we will go with the thought of giving it 5 years. our children are young enough to come back and pick up where we left off. if we love it we will stay.
sorry that was long and rambling and probably no help. your doubts are quite normal. 'It will all come out in the wash'

I think this is a great attitude to have! Nothing is forever anyway so there's no need to close the door on anything. If nothing more it's experiencing life in a different country. Don't let anyone put you off your story, if this is what you want to do then do it, no one can tell you 'I told you so', this is your experience not theirs.
We love where we live at the moment but to be quite honest Great Britain has lost a lot of its greatness for us recently and so we're off on an adventure. If we come back in a year or five years and decided actually the UK is amazing after all, then great! We're all winners; we'll carry on living in our family home, go back to the jobs we've been doing for the last however many years and our kids will continue to grow up here plus they will have had one hell of an adventure to tell their friends about [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz
  • Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
3 hours ago, TeacherClem said:

I think this is a great attitude to have! Nothing is forever anyway so there's no need to close the door on anything. If nothing more it's experiencing life in a different country. Don't let anyone put you off your story, if this is what you want to do then do it, no one can tell you 'I told you so', this is your experience not theirs.
We love where we live at the moment but to be quite honest Great Britain has lost a lot of its greatness for us recently and so we're off on an adventure. If we come back in a year or five years and decided actually the UK is amazing after all, then great! We're all winners; we'll carry on living in our family home, go back to the jobs we've been doing for the last however many years and our kids will continue to grow up here plus they will have had one hell of an adventure to tell their friends about emoji16.png

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

@TeacherClemand that's what it is, an adventure. So what if it doesnt work out, you have at least got the get up and go to give it a try. People also need to realise that Australia is such a vast area, one Suburb may be a dump but the next may be your dream place. 

Guest The Pom Queen

Just look at what you are missing out on. There are some beautiful areas in Australia, in fact from the travelling I've done I would say I have loved 98% of it.

IMG_2308.JPG

IMG_2224.JPG

IMG_2225.JPG

IMG_2226.JPG

IMG_2227.JPG

IMG_2228.JPG

IMG_2229.JPG

IMG_2231.JPG

IMG_2232.JPG

IMG_2235.JPG

IMG_2237.JPG

IMG_2291.JPG

IMG_2293.JPG

IMG_2294.JPG

IMG_2296.JPG

IMG_2298.JPG

IMG_2299.JPG

IMG_2379.JPG

IMG_2569.JPG

B2732FD6-10BC-4CC0-968E-7967D6B3711E.JPG

IMG_2571.JPG

35C55B90-A3DB-4390-8987-08691BF3A726.JPG

IMG_2553.JPG

IMG_2138.JPG

IMG_2132.JPG

IMG_2141.JPG

IMG_2308.JPG

IMG_2139.JPG

IMG_2140.JPG

IMG_2234.JPG

IMG_2307.JPG

IMG_2343.JPG

IMG_2380.JPG

D963CEBA-1255-4DED-9102-AFFBEEEE265A.JPG

Stunning photos PQ. We love the vastness of Australia, the variety and the places you come across while travelling, we have visited every state, seen the outback covered in spring flowers, sad ruined outlines of places pioneers tried to make a life, the list goes on and on.

So many places to explore if you take the chance to live here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Oops I keep forgetting about Tassie, I really do want to visit there.

We were only talking about our trip to Tassie and how much we liked it ... although, part of the enjoyment was just being a couple and being able to do as we pleased lol

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
Stunning photos PQ. We love the vastness of Australia, the variety and the places you come across while travelling, we have visited every state, seen the outback covered in spring flowers, sad ruined outlines of places pioneers tried to make a life, the list goes on and on.
So many places to explore if you take the chance to live here.

There is something for everyone and a climate to match, for those who like the heat then you have FNQ and NT, for those who like seasons you have Victoria and Tasmania

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

21 hours ago, Rob-oz said:

We’re in the same boat.

Early in the visa process, never been to Aus.

I have a relative there who I’m in regular contact with, but that’s it.

As a family we are very self sufficient, rely on nobody but ourselves, we do have family near by, but we certainly don’t live in each other’s pockets, Skype calls will help stay in touch.

we have no illusions, moving to Aus won’t change us, we love the outdoors, we work bloody hard. We only have a small circle of friends who we see now and then, drinks with work colleagues etc.

we will be selling our home before moving, no intentions of returning. If for whatever reason we decide it isn’t for us, we plan to stick it out to at least get the children citizenship, if nothing it will open doors for them.

some of my friends say we’re mad, moving somewhere we’ve never been, but then they realise, this is exactly who we are and it’s not out of the ordinary for us to do something a little crazy / risky.

we’re only on this planet once, id hate to be laying on my death bed saying I wish I’d done it, instead I’ll be saying, well that was an adventure! 

You have to ask yourself why? why am I moving from a first world country to another first world country? why do you think Oz is better than the UK, it cant be because of the weather because that would be plain silly to be honest...there must be something that is driving you...if you can come up with some good ones then try it.

31 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

You have to ask yourself why? why am I moving from a first world country to another first world country? why do you think Oz is better than the UK, it cant be because of the weather because that would be plain silly to be honest...there must be something that is driving you...if you can come up with some good ones then try it.

Some people just fancy a change or an adventure.  Let's face it if people hadn't had a spirit of adventure in days gone by nobody would have moved to Canada/USA/Australia and New Zealand.  There's a big world out there just for the taking if you fancy it.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

Why not? 

Ive lived in the uk for nearly 40 years, I fancy something new.

my children having duel nationality would have more options for the rest of their lives.

I cannot claim Aus is better than the uk, I’ve never been, but it’s a change of scenery I’ll welcome with open arms and I’ve dreamed for many years of living somewhere other than the uk, and specifically Aus or NZ, just because I was born here, doesn’t mean I have to stay.

We love outdoor activities, many of those effected by the weather, of course having better weather (our opinion of it) is also a deciding factor, we live outside all summer.

In no particular order, here’s a small list.

the challenge, weather, cultural changes, the reefs and beaches, the accent, opportunities for the kids, kangaroos, bbq on Christmas Day, tonnes of exploring, new friends, koala bears.

ill still go to work (I’ll have to work harder than I do now) the kids will still go to school, there will be bills to pay, but I will have managed something I set out to do. 

There are plenty of Australians moving to the uk, I could ask why oh why would you want to come here? I expect they just fancy a change...and why not?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rob-oz said:

Why not? 

Ive lived in the uk for nearly 40 years, I fancy something new.

my children having duel nationality would have more options for the rest of their lives.

I cannot claim Aus is better than the uk, I’ve never been, but it’s a change of scenery I’ll welcome with open arms and I’ve dreamed for many years of living somewhere other than the uk, and specifically Aus or NZ, just because I was born here, doesn’t mean I have to stay.

We love outdoor activities, many of those effected by the weather, of course having better weather (our opinion of it) is also a deciding factor, we live outside all summer.

In no particular order, here’s a small list.

the challenge, weather, cultural changes, the reefs and beaches, the accent, opportunities for the kids, kangaroos, bbq on Christmas Day, tonnes of exploring, new friends, koala bears.

ill still go to work (I’ll have to work harder than I do now) the kids will still go to school, there will be bills to pay, but I will have managed something I set out to do. 

There are plenty of Australians moving to the uk, I could ask why oh why would you want to come here? I expect they just fancy a change...and why not?

Fair answer, yes many Aussies move to the  UK permanent because of believe it or the weather, cultural changes, snow on Xmas day, exploring the uk AND EUROPE etc etc   ( I have met plenty in my job)....SO YES, if you want a change of scenery go for it, you only live once and if You dont like it you can always return to the UK.

31 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

Fair answer, yes many Aussies move to the  UK permanent because of believe it or the weather, cultural changes, snow on Xmas day, exploring the uk AND EUROPE etc etc   ( I have met plenty in my job)....SO YES, if you want a change of scenery go for it, you only live once and if You dont like it you can always return to the UK.

your exactly right there! 

I've read many posts from Aussies who feel so isolated from the world, and being able to travel so easily around Europe is a dream for them, I had never really considered how easy it is for us here until I had read that. We have had the opportunity to travel to various ares of Europe, America, Canada, Mexico and Africa, relatively cheap over the last 20 years or so, so I completely get that now, there are other areas,  NZ, fiji, Indonesia, Thailand, China etc that we have never visited, perhaps in another 20 years after exploring Aus we'll get to visit those places too :)

All in all, the whole idea of moving to Aus is super exciting and scary at the same time, I personally try not to worry about others stories, I love reading the posts about happy endings and all, but I stay realistic that our journey will be different, much like the unfortunate stories for those who had come home after not enjoying it, thats their journey, not ours.

Positive thinking, lots of hard work, and some luck - fingers crossed it all works out :) 

• Like 2

Guest The Pom Queen
39 minutes ago, Rob-oz said:

@The Pom Queen Thanks for sharing the pics, Amazing! I'd love to see a thread dedicated to peoples photos, the real photos, rather than the magazine covers we always see, is there something like this?

We do have a number of threads like this and I think each state has one. I will try and find them later

Errrrm this is very judgemental and lacks incite! Being in a hot climate IS A VALID AND MAJOR reason to want to move to another country. All things being equal in two 'first world' countries then of course climate can play a major role in the decision. It's these kind of statements that have raised some fireworks on this forum. Just because it may be a minor factor in your life doesn't mean it has to be for everyone. I say to OP just have a look at the pros and cons like already said and if HOT WEATHER IS part of your main reasons then yeah you have a good enough reason to try it out. It's good to hear both sides of the coin but some people here are hell bent on trying to point the bleakest picture of Oz. If it's another first world then it will be hard to settle but it's no Basra. Phew!

minus b plus/minus the square root of b squared minus four A C all over two A.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Apollo said:

Errrrm this is very judgemental and lacks incite! Being in a hot climate IS A VALID AND MAJOR reason to want to move to another country. All things being equal in two 'first world' countries then of course climate can play a major role in the decision. It's these kind of statements that have raised some fireworks on this forum. Just because it may be a minor factor in your life doesn't mean it has to be for everyone. I say to OP just have a look at the pros and cons like already said and if HOT WEATHER IS part of your main reasons then yeah you have a good enough reason to try it out. It's good to hear both sides of the coin but some people here are hell bent on trying to point the bleakest picture of Oz. If it's another first world then it will be hard to settle but it's no Basra. Phew!

minus b plus/minus the square root of b squared minus four A C all over two A.

If weather is a key reason for migrating it may pay to do a bit of careful research before finally deciding where to settle. Aus is huge and as a result there is not one single weather system or climate that defines the country.   T x

http://www.australia.gov.au/about-australia/australian-story/austn-weather-and-the-seasons

• Like 2

Probably the main reason why you see so many people moving back to the UK is because Australia isn't actually "better" than the UK.

A someone mentioned earlier your moving from a 1st world country to another and so once you've gotten over the 'wonders' of a new place its the same old . . day after day . . just everything is more difficult as your unfamiliar with the system and everything else plus you don't have family or friends there to rely on.

Yeah emigration is different for those coming from some 3rd world pit to live in the UK or Australia. They had awful lives. Is yours really that bad??

Having nearly 6 months in Australia temporarily was the best choice I ever made at least now I know its not worth moving there for a "better life"

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Flavourshaker said:

Probably the main reason why you see so many people moving back to the UK is because Australia isn't actually "better" than the UK.

A someone mentioned earlier your moving from a 1st world country to another and so once you've gotten over the 'wonders' of a new place its the same old . . day after day . . just everything is more difficult as your unfamiliar with the system and everything else plus you don't have family or friends there to rely on.

Yeah emigration is different for those coming from some 3rd world pit to live in the UK or Australia. They had awful lives. Is yours really that bad??

Having nearly 6 months in Australia temporarily was the best choice I ever made at least now I know its not worth moving there for a "better life"

but the stats show the vast majority do not move back.

So doesn't that prove that Australia is actually better for them at least ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parley said:

but the stats show the vast majority do not move back.

So doesn't that prove that Australia is actually better for them at least ?

But the OP isn't talking about the majority she is talking about the current forum posters of which I am one. A few of us have  recently taken advantage of the soaring property prices and sinking pound. 

Edited by ScottieGirl

26 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

But the OP isn't talking about the majority she is talking about the current forum posters of which I am one. A few of us have  recently taken advantage of the soaring property prices and sinking pound. 

As you saw I was responding to Flavourshakers post which I highlighted in Bold.

No doubt the people who go back have their own reasons.

You and others may have your own mercenary reasons and that is your preroragtive too.

But sweeping generalisations that people are going back because Australia isn't better isn't borne out by the majority who stay in Australia.

• Like 2

Guest The Pom Queen

I am getting worried as I am finding myself agreeing with@parley too often at the moment. The majority of forum members are still here and enjoying their life, unfortunately they are too busy enjoying their new life to post. I would say from the members I know who may not currently be active 90% are enjoying life here in Australia

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

13 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

Ha ha! Lived in Sydney for 20 years saw a live kangaroo outside of a wildlife park once. Never saw a koala in the wild. Christmas day lunch was cold turkey and salads, most people like to do something a bit special. I hope you enjoy it, I did but don't  count on the marsupials. 

Well you'd hardly expect to see a kangaroo wandering around in the city.  :P  I got out of the city as much as I possibly could.  Stayed with friends who lived between Bathurst and Mudgee.  She was a volunteer with WIRES so was a carer for many orphaned kangaroos and wombats.  Here on my walks I come across scores of wallabies.  I only saw koalas a few times in the wild near Port Stephens.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1