Why am i reading so many "moving back to the UK posts??

EmmaGiggles85

4 hours ago, Toots said:

We went out for an Indian meal last night.  I chose from the vegetarian menu.  OH had the lamb korma.  Very tasty indeed and I think reasonably priced.

http://indiancurrydevonport.com/  and click on the menu.

I only buy smaller portions of cheese from the dairy farm not blocks from a supermarket but really your cheese should not have gone mouldy after a week.

Darn right it shouldn't. Same supermarket has down sized the mature vintage cheese that I like. Was $11 now down to $9 but far less of it.

Indian food is very hit and miss here. A British Indian chow shop opened just down the road from me. Called " Brick Lane". I think it lasted eighteen months, just wasn't up to it. I do have a favourite Indian in North Perth  and another down in Albany.

Eating out is something of a chore here though in our experience, A chore in finding something that suits the price asked, with so much similar on the menu. Whatever happened to diversity? We eat far better at home. Of course dinning out should not just be about price, but ambiance also.

We looked down at Elizabeth Quay and surrounds and found nowhere we liked. The Lucky Shag has declined in my view. Not many pubs even with a vibe at the time of day in the centre either.

8 hours ago, Pura Vida said:

Quite so. I recall an Australian election, using the cheapness of OZ in an advertising piece, (in West Australian, noted in Australia House in London)  to promote how much cheaper life was compared to UK/Europe.  It would have been the eighties...... Not long after Time Magazine had a cover story reading, "End of the Easy Life Down Under" which I picked up in Asia.

The writing was on the wall then.......but no comparison from then and now. Sad thing is the decline looks to be halting no time soon.

our house and land cost 72,000 dollars in 1990 ...4 x 2 ...i was on good money as well ...certainly living the dream ....our block was 16,000 dollars

I know a bloke who bought 3 blocks with part ocean views in the s.w for 8,000 a piece in 1990 ...they couldn't give them away

Australia was very good to us ...i have had to battle a lot harder in the u.k

4 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

our house and land cost 72,000 dollars in 1990 ...4 x 2 ...i was on good money as well ...certainly living the dream ....our block was 16,000 dollars

I know a bloke who bought 3 blocks with part ocean views in the s.w for 8,000 a piece in 1990 ...they couldn't give them away

Australia was very good to us ...i have had to battle a lot harder in the u.k

Australia was something of the clichéd, land of milk and honey, in those days. Now gone I'm afraid. Now one of the most over priced, poorly governed, countries of the western world.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

It’s all relative yes it’s expensive but generally people earn more money here

Oh and it isn’t in the West

Oh it isn't in the West what? Are you attempting to say Australia is not a western country? While the government is attempting to make Sydney and Melbourne carbon copies of Hong Kong, we remain still for the moment a very much western nation.

Relative. Probably is to people from poor back grounds as it will lift them out of poverty conditions, but reduces the living standards of people living here. Far harder now for migrants than in times when Australia ran a sensible migration policy numerically.

Oh it isn't in the West what? Are you attempting to say Australia is not a western country? While the government is attempting to make Sydney and Melbourne carbon copies of Hong Kong, we remain still for the moment a very much western nation.
Relative. Probably is to people from poor back grounds as it will lift them out of poverty conditions, but reduces the living standards of people living here. Far harder now for migrants than in times when Australia ran a sensible migration policy numerically.

It’s a developed country it’s not a western country

Having noticed some of your posts on other threads once again your agenda shines through

You attempt to blame migrants for all of Australia’s ills your no different from may trump and all other bigoted leaders of developed countries

9 minutes ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

It’s a developed country it’s not a western country

Having noticed some of your posts on other threads once again your agenda shines through

You attempt to blame migrants for all of Australia’s ills your no different from may trump and all other bigoted leaders of developed countries

I just love to cross swords with you. Partly because you are wrong with your accusations but mostly for the pure fun of it.

So in your view Australia is not a Western Country???? Do you consider it an Eastern Country then???? Would love to read your view on that.

Do you have an understanding as to the concept of belonging to the western world means?

You accused ne previously of having an agenda, I believe. Just what that agenda might be I ask myself?  I think witnessing the decline Australia before one's eyes, constitutes something a little bit deeper than an agenda.

I repeat as I did before. I do not blame all migrants. I blame the government and related rent seekers for creating a situation, we now find ourselves in this country.

Obviously migration is far too high. I'm afraid too high a price to pay even to maintain high prices ..........and supress wages.

• Like 1

I just love to cross swords with you. Partly because you are wrong with your accusations but mostly for the pure fun of it.
So in your view Australia is not a Western Country???? Do you consider it an Eastern Country then???? Would love to read your view on that.
Do you have an understanding as to the concept of belonging to the western world means?
You accused ne previously of having an agenda, I believe. Just what that agenda might be I ask myself?  I think witnessing the decline Australia before one's eyes, constitutes something a little bit deeper than an agenda.
I repeat as I did before. I do not blame all migrants. I blame the government and related rent seekers for creating a situation, we now find ourselves in this country.
Obviously migration is far too high. I'm afraid too high a price to pay even to maintain high prices ..........and supress wages.

Why is migration too high? I presume you yourself are a migrant btw

I feel your following a spoon fed ill informed agenda which is being repeated in the uk the us and Europe

So I would like to hear your rational

4 minutes ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

It’s all relative yes it’s expensive but generally people earn more money here

Oh and it isn’t in the West

not geographically ...but it is part of the west .

if someone invades oz tomorrow , who will step in ....the u.s and Britain ....it wont be the e.u , Russia or china

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

Why is migration too high? I presume you yourself are a migrant btw

I feel your following a spoon fed ill informed agenda which is being repeated in the uk the us and Europe

So I would like to hear your rational

Best never make presumptions by the way. I follow my own knowledge on the matter  and do know in what I am referring to. Best not confuse the European situation with what is happening in Australia.

I only suspect you are in the line of business profiteering from the insanity of record mas migration into this country. Interesting to note even Conservative commentators, like the dreaded Sloan writer for The Australian, has come out about the negatives migration numbers in a piece in The Australian, the other day.

While the concept of ever falling living conditions may not bother you, it certainly does an increasing number people. The Big Australia concept , of bulking up the population in record numbers plays well into the   desires of a selected group, whom I'm sure you are aware of will profit, but few others, note how few can afford to live in the big cities these days as well as stagnant and falling wages.

The rational is clear. Population at record levels is unwanted, not required and ever lowering living conditions of ever more people.

44 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

not geographically ...but it is part of the west .

if someone invades oz tomorrow , who will step in ....the u.s and Britain ....it wont be the e.u , Russia or china

Australia is a western nation. The author of the piece, sadly has no idea to what they refer. It is not a question of who steps in. It is a question of institutions , people and political system.

To suggest otherwise is labouring under a false hood, that likely does not end there.

Best never make presumptions by the way. I follow my own knowledge on the matter  and do know in what I am referring to. Best not confuse the European situation with what is happening in Australia.
I only suspect you are in the line of business profiteering from the insanity of record mas migration into this country. Interesting to note even Conservative commentators, like the dreaded Sloan writer for The Australian, has come out about the negatives migration numbers in a piece in The Australian, the other day.
While the concept of ever falling living conditions may not bother you, it certainly does an increasing number people. The Big Australia concept , of bulking up the population in record numbers plays well into the   desires of a selected group, whom I'm sure you are aware of will profit, but few others, note how few can afford to live in the big cities these days as well as stagnant and falling wages.
The rational is clear. Population at record levels is unwanted, not required and ever lowering living conditions of ever more people.

You know nothing about me so don’t make presumptions

You never answered my question where I asked if you yourself were a migrant

The bottom line is that people who are unsettled in Australia and/or have returned home are "whingers" who hate to see other migrants (the majority) who love their lives here.

Do Australians love their sport? Of course?. More than British people? What? Brits don't like going to the races? Brits aren't obsessed with football especially the Premier League, the most popular in the world. And some sport loving Brits are not willing to embrace AFL and rugby league the favoured Aussie footie codes, which I think is blinkered. Why have only one football code when you can have four? (Including rugby union). 

Can you have a life free from sport in Australia? Of course. Waiting for the Spurs v WBA game to start at the Surry Hills hotel I chatted to two ladies from Canberra who had come to Sydney for the weekend to watch two musicals -Muriel and the Carole King Story - on successive nights. Yes, you can embrace "culture" on Australia, but again the whingers are blinkered. I went to see see an excellent Aussie production of My Fair Lady recently with a friend who unsuccessfully tried to persuade me to see Carmen with him.

What was the other whinge I saw? Oh, the Aussie working culture, allegedly different from the UK. Rubbish! But, again, if you have not settled you don't notice the good. I work in a wonderful office. We work hard just like in Britain. We enjoy the same conditions. We have a good social side to it too, pay week lunches, people bringing in food, etc. But I'd hate to have any of the whingers in my office. 

Personally, I've enjoyed life on both countries, adapting to local conditions with ease, as do most of us.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

The bottom line is that people who are unsettled in Australia and/or have returned home are "whingers" who hate to see other migrants (the majority) who love their lives here.

Do Australians love their sport? Of course?. More than British people? What? Brits don't like going to the races? Brits aren't obsessed with football especially the Premier League, the most popular in the world. And some sport loving Brits are not willing to embrace AFL and rugby league the favoured Aussie footie codes, which I think is blinkered. Why have only one football code when you can have four? (Including rugby union). 

Can you have a life free from sport in Australia? Of course. Waiting for the Spurs v WBA game to start at the Surry Hills hotel I chatted to two ladies from Canberra who had come to Sydney for the weekend to watch two musicals -Muriel and the Carole King Story - on successive nights. Yes, you can embrace "culture" on Australia, but again the whingers are blinkered. I went to see see an excellent Aussie production of My Fair Lady recently with a friend who unsuccessfully tried to persuade me to see Carmen with him.

What was the other whinge I saw? Oh, the Aussie working culture, allegedly different from the UK. Rubbish! But, again, if you have not settled you don't notice the good. I work in a wonderful office. We work hard just like in Britain. We enjoy the same conditions. We have a good social side to it too, pay week lunches, people bringing in food, etc. But I'd hate to have any of the whingers in my office. 

Personally, I've enjoyed life on both countries, adapting to local conditions with ease, as do most of us.

I agree with you about the work culture.  Also worked hard - had deadlines to meet no matter what so often worked extra hours but we were paid well and knew we were appreciated.  It was a busy office and I made some good friends there but in the end a new CEO arrived and things started to change so I decided to retire.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2017 at 00:17, bunbury61 said:

I have no axe to grind with either country ...its bits of love/hate with both of them

BUT we had a young family leave our area of the u.k for Sydney about two years ago .

he was management in the car industry , and they took themselves over for a better future for the kids ...understandable .

we have since moved about 2 miles away , and I obviously hadn't seen them ...until yesterday .

They were back after 8 months .....she absolutely loved it for the kids ...the weather ...

he was on good money , but they just couldn't afford to live there .....she said it was so expensive ....they could not gain any traction ...she gave me a few examples which were mind boggling .

I remember oz when it was cheap to live there

so they weighed it all up , she was missing her parents .....luckily he got his job back ...and so they returned , and have now moved to a better area , locally .

How do you imagine that the millions of people who do live there afford it then ?

It is a city of 4 million people.

This is BS to say people can't afford to live there.

37 minutes ago, Parley said:

How do you imagine that the millions of people who do live there afford it then ?

these were new arrivals ....not people wo have been living there for a period of time .

they felt even on his good wage that they couldn't make the sums add up .....there thoughts not mine

1 hour ago, Toots said:

I agree with you about the work culture.  Also worked hard - had deadlines to meet no matter what so often worked extra hours but we were paid well and knew we were appreciated.  It was a busy office and I made some good friends there but in the end a new CEO arrived and things started to change so I decided to retire.

that sounds very similar to here toots ...happy and contented people work harder ....and they are bloody destroying that ....ultimately for greed and profit .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

You know nothing about me so don’t make presumptions

You never answered my question where I asked if you yourself were a migrant

I'm neither interested nor do I need to know more about you. You did not ask if I was a migrant, you presumed. It matters not if I am or am not. What matters more is that you are wrong in your statement with regards to Australia and back peddled. A simple "I was wrong," would have covered that.

Now unless you are a rent seeker I think that the fact that Australia is running record immigration levels at a time of stagnant wages, increasingly unaffordable, infrastructure challenged, (that means roads, hospitals, schools, and the like) largely to support the housing bubble but also big business, should be amply clear to yourself the reasons why immigration at such huge numbers is a very bad thing.

As I have repeatedly mentioned, it dangers the entire immigration programme as the back lash builds.  

I'm neither interested nor do I need to know more about you. You did not ask if I was a migrant, you presumed. It matters not if I am or am not. What matters more is that you are wrong in your statement with regards to Australia and back peddled. A simple "I was wrong," would have covered that.
Now unless you are a rent seeker I think that the fact that Australia is running record immigration levels at a time of stagnant wages, increasingly unaffordable, infrastructure challenged, (that means roads, hospitals, schools, and the like) largely to support the housing bubble but also big business, should be amply clear to yourself the reasons why immigration at such huge numbers is a very bad thing.
As I have repeatedly mentioned, it dangers the entire immigration programme as the back lash builds.  

I’m sorry but at no point did I backtrack on anything

As for whether or not you are a migrant I’m interested to know

Is migration running at record levels? Really?
I’ve seen you on other threads berating skilled migration when in actual fact if it wasn’t in place this country would grind to a halt

1 hour ago, Parley said:

By increasingly lowering living standards, some may suggest is not an ideal way to go about it. Living should be more than survival, which results when too many people compete over a narrow area. Have you ever been to a crowded city of some magnitude? Of course people adapt to survive.

Do you seriously consider Melbourne at 4.6 million today, will be the same city, even desirable at the predicted 6 million at the end of the next decade?

The BS lays with the ever declining services and lifestyle available for the vast majority outside of the elite.

Will the increasing Mumbai or Hong Kong style living of dog box apartments really enhance living in that city?

1 minute ago, Pura Vida said:

By increasingly lowering living standards, some may suggest is not an ideal way to go about it. Living should be more than survival, which results when too many people compete over a narrow area. Have you ever been to a crowded city of some magnitude? Of course people adapt to survive.

Do you seriously consider Melbourne at 4.6 million today, will be the same city, even desirable at the predicted 6 million at the end of the next decade?

The BS lays with the ever declining services and lifestyle available for the vast majority outside of the elite.

Will the increasing Mumbai or Hong Kong style living of dog box apartments really enhance living in that city?

Every city in the world is growing isn't it as is the world population.?

Not much we can do about it if the world population keeps growing.

Whinging won't help. How big is Greater London probably a good 12 million or so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

I’m sorry but at no point did I backtrack on anything

As for whether or not you are a migrant I’m interested to know

Is migration running at record levels? Really?
I’ve seen you on other threads berating skilled migration when in actual fact if it wasn’t in place this country would grind to a halt

This country would not grind to a halt. The property market would be impacted. Business would be required to train those already here ..

YES. Really migration is running at record levels with a multitude of visa's in place allowing entry. Australia has close to the fastest developed world growth in population in the world. Mostly through high immigration. And to what end? Country getting any better?

I trust you have at least discovered Australia is a western country. No worries here to help.  

This country would not grind to a halt. The property market would be impacted. Business would be required to train those already here ..
YES. Really migration is running at record levels with a multitude of visa's in place allowing entry. Australia has close to the fastest developed world growth in population in the world. Mostly through high immigration. And to what end? Country getting any better?
I trust you have at least discovered Australia is a western country. No worries here to help.  

You really are deluded if you don’t think the country would grind to a halt

It’s not about training it’s about experience you can’t just train someone to the job of a skilled experienced migrant.

It really isn’t difficult to understand

I would like to see figures which detail which percentage of population growth is due to migration but as on other threads I’m certain you can’t provide facts to back up your argument

11 minutes ago, Parley said:

Every city in the world is growing isn't it as is the world population.?

Not much we can do about it if the world population keeps growing.

Whinging won't help. How big is Greater London probably a good 12 million or so.

.........and so many want to settle in Australia!

......Australia has nearly three ......times the population growth .......of the average of developed countries.

........just in my local area the increase in high density housing

.......has put a strain on schools

.......even though more have been built

........roads once easy to get from A to B .....now congested

........and jobs as the son has found.....harder to get

........it’s a sign of the times

........not just here ....

........it’s the world we live in...

• Like 1