Why am i reading so many "moving back to the UK posts??

EmmaGiggles85

6 hours ago, tea4too said:

If weather is a key reason for migrating it may pay to do a bit of careful research before finally deciding where to settle. Aus is huge and as a result there is not one single weather system or climate that defines the country.   T x

http://www.australia.gov.au/about-australia/australian-story/austn-weather-and-the-seasons

Yes!  Just the other day Tink was by the pool with a cold drink in 34C and here I was muffled up in sweaters in 12C.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rob-oz said:

your exactly right there! 

I've read many posts from Aussies who feel so isolated from the world, and being able to travel so easily around Europe is a dream for them, I had never really considered how easy it is for us here until I had read that. We have had the opportunity to travel to various ares of Europe, America, Canada, Mexico and Africa, relatively cheap over the last 20 years or so, so I completely get that now, there are other areas,  NZ, fiji, Indonesia, Thailand, China etc that we have never visited, perhaps in another 20 years after exploring Aus we'll get to visit those places too :)

All in all, the whole idea of moving to Aus is super exciting and scary at the same time, I personally try not to worry about others stories, I love reading the posts about happy endings and all, but I stay realistic that our journey will be different, much like the unfortunate stories for those who had come home after not enjoying it, thats their journey, not ours.

Positive thinking, lots of hard work, and some luck - fingers crossed it all works out :) 

with your attitude i am sure you will make a good go of it...have a great time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Parley said:

As you saw I was responding to Flavourshakers post which I highlighted in Bold.

No doubt the people who go back have their own reasons.

You and others may have your own mercenary reasons and that is your preroragtive too.

But sweeping generalisations that people are going back because Australia isn't better isn't borne out by the majority who stay in Australia.

But Oz is not better is it...its just different and some people prefer oz and some people prefer the UK, you have to remember that the ones who go to Oz are the ones with a burning desire to live in Oz and many stay but many return home, if you took a 1000 brits who had never even thought of living in oz and just transplanted them in Oz I bet the vast majority would return to the UK.

Edited by Perthbum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

But Oz is not better is it...its just different and some people prefer oz and some people prefer the UK, you have to remember that the ones who go to Oz are the ones with a burning desire to live in Oz and many stay but many return home, if you took a 1000 brits who had never even thought of living in oz and just transplanted them in Oz I bet the vast majority would return to the UK.

Definitely  ........................  some people really should never leave home and close family.

• Like 1

I think there are some people who are cut out for settling in Aus sucessfully and others from the UK who won't. 

We came out never having been before, no jobs to come to, 2 year old, sold the UK house to be able to afford it. We were a bit like you a felt we would like the climate and lifestyle. We are in Perth though, so totally different from what you will experience in Melbourne.

If it feels right do it.

• Like 3

We keep hearing of those that came out in times past. Those days are long gone. Regardless if interest rates were 17% for awhile, house prices were cheap. Wages in many areas were always better than low paid UK so providing one could cope with the distance from those left behind, the loneliness experienced by many, the crudeness often expressed by those with a slightly more sensitive nature, the heat and drinking barns as pubs ,one may well succeed.

In more modern times, unless fairly well minted , it is far from easy to arrive at the same level of material comfort  than previous migrant generations. It will likely take far longer and be harder. Australia is growing in population among the fastest in the developed world. A lot of competition.

Some things are better. There is by and large a greater tolerance. Some of the rough edges once possessed by a large number of Aussies, has been polished to some degree. Not shining but certainly not as raw.

If only we could get costs down though. Prices remain far too high. We were house hunting in a medium WA city (town by other standards) are prices more akin to inner Perth we found wanting. Eating out was darn expensive as well. This wasn't the case fifteen years back. No where near it.

21 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

Ha ha! Lived in Sydney for 20 years saw a live kangaroo outside of a wildlife park once.... don't  count on the marsupials. 

Maybe not if living in deepest darkest Sydney...though the surburban fringes would be different.  However, If he moved to my Hobart suburb he could witness wallabies and possums devouring my garden every night :arghh:....much like thousands of other locations around the country.

7 hours ago, Toots said:

Yes!  Just the other day Tink was by the pool with a cold drink in 34C and here I was muffled up in sweaters in 12C.  

And I had light snow falling at my place that same morning.  Then the next day...it was 20C.  ;)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Skani said:

Maybe not if living in deepest darkest Sydney...though the surburban fringes would be different.  However, If he moved to my Hobart suburb he could witness wallabies and possums devouring my garden every night :arghh:....much like thousands of other locations around the country.

Never saw a live possum until about 12 years in, think the dogs scared them off. But as I said to a friend who was wondering whether to get roo bars if you live in the burbs you are as likely to encounter a roo in Sydney as you are to encounter a sheep wandering down Birmingham New St ?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

Never saw a live possum until about 12 years in, think the dogs scared them off. But as I said to a friend who was wondering whether to get roo bars if you live in the burbs you are as likely to encounter a roo in Sydney as you are to encounter a sheep wandering down Birmingham New St ?

I've seen more possums here than I ever did in Sydney.  There are a few tame possums who come out when it's dark in Hyde Park, Sydney.  Huntsman spiders never bothered me at all but thank goodness I've never seen a snake as I am very fearful of them.  I walk for miles here and haven't encountered one yet.  

1 hour ago, ScottieGirl said:

What a nasrty thing to say. Going back to care for my elderly mother is  not mercenary.

In your post you stated your reason for going back as "A few of us have  recently taken advantage of the soaring property prices and sinking pound".

First of all, thank you so much for all of the replies, good and bad too! I appreciate them all. I think maybe my late night post needed to be more clear on reasons etc. So apologies!

We are both early thirties with three boys, 13, 9 and 6. Myself and OH have done research for well over a year together (myself longer as its me whos spurred the idea on) i dont watch any aussie soaps (or TV in general actually) yes ive watched the odd Wanted down under, but it was just to get a more realistic view of the day to day living costs and the areas in the background [emoji23][emoji23].

We dont expect it to be better than the UK at all, infact i presume it is going to be quite similar weather wise, but the fact the sky will be bluer most days of the year and the fact we will have 3/4 months nicer weather as opposed to a couple of weeks (spread out over the "summer") will be amazing for us as our boys are very outdoorsy (if thats even a word [emoji23])

We expect to word hard and we are not going in with any "well back in the UK" attitude as we are looking forward to embracing the Aussie lifestyle. Melbourne appeals to us because of the artsy scene. Geelong looks most appealing to suit our family at the moment. We dont expect a 5 bed house overlooking the beach with a pool at first, but we are hard working and that is going to be a goal in the future for sure. I mean, why not??

As for careers etc, OH is a newly qualified teacher, so not in a job that is going to have us feeling like theres been a huge wage cut etc. As for myself, i am currently a psychology student and will qualify just before we jet out (if plans go accordingly) so i will be looking to start on the first rung of the career ladder as we step foot there.

Again, thanks ever so much for the feedback! Xx

Thanks, Emma x

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh, p.s. our main thought is that we are not minted over here and even if we get to Oz and have similar financial circumstances, id rather it be somewhere with a blue sky and fantastic scenery in a ever so slightly warmer climate than overlooking a house that looks identical to mine with pouring rain and a dull sky 90% of the year xx

Thanks, Emma x

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Guest The Pom Queen
On 01/10/2017 at 19:25, ScottieGirl said:

Ha ha! Lived in Sydney for 20 years saw a live kangaroo outside of a wildlife park once. Never saw a koala in the wild. Christmas day lunch was cold turkey and salads, most people like to do something a bit special. I hope you enjoy it, I did but don't  count on the marsupials. 

Unfortunately we saw plenty last week on our road trip all road kill, must have been well over 200.  :sad:

Koalas are quite a common occurrence in NSW but like @Toots says you have to get out in to the country. Here is a map you may find helpful.

IMG_3591.PNG

Kangaroos you won't see the reds near the coast but the greys are most certainly around. Dusk or Dawn is the time to see them.

South Coast

A popular spot for reliably seeing kangaroos in the wild is at Depot Beach in Murramarang National Park, 10 km north of Batemans Bay on the south coast. They graze around the campsite and grassy verges of the beach.

Sydney and surrounds

Closer to Sydney, sometimes wallabies can be spotted in the late afternoon in The Basin, Pittwater. It is reached by ferry from Palm Beach (Pittwater side). Large herds of kangaroos are often seen grazing in the grounds of the hospital at Morisset. It is on the western shores of Lake Macquarie about 1.5 hour's drive from Sydney. Gates open 6 am to 6.30 pm. In the Blue Mountains National Park , Euroka Clearing just past the campsite near the Glenbrook entrance is home to about 30 kangaroos between September and March.

North Coast

Around Coffs Harbour there are some good kangaroo sites. They include Safety Beach Golf Course (near Woolgoolga), Look At Me Now Headland (Emerald Beach), Hungry Head (near Urunga) and Dorrigo and Bellingen Valley national parks. Bindarri National Park is home to parma and swamp wallabies.

You can also find them in the  national parks including Menindee Lakes (Kinchega National Park), Mungo and Sturt.

Guest The Pom Queen
10 hours ago, Toots said:

Pmsl yesterday I was scorching and today I'm rugged up

Guest The Pom Queen
2 hours ago, EmmaGiggles85 said:

Oh, p.s. our main thought is that we are not minted over here and even if we get to Oz and have similar financial circumstances, id rather it be somewhere with a blue sky and fantastic scenery in a ever so slightly warmer climate than overlooking a house that looks identical to mine with pouring rain and a dull sky 90% of the year xx

Thanks, Emma x

It sounds to me like you will be absolutely fine. 

You keep mentioning the blue sky. . .

Seriously leaving everything behind for a "blue sky" is a very superficial way of looking at things.

You'd be better putting the £x0000's it will cost for visas, flights, time out of work, housing, gap training, cash lost on a cack exchange rate etc towards multiple holidays to Spain every year and get your blue sky that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EmmaGiggles85 said:

First of all, thank you so much for all of the replies, good and bad too! I appreciate them all. I think maybe my late night post needed to be more clear on reasons etc. So apologies!

We are both early thirties with three boys, 13, 9 and 6. Myself and OH have done research for well over a year together (myself longer as its me whos spurred the idea on) i dont watch any aussie soaps (or TV in general actually) yes ive watched the odd Wanted down under, but it was just to get a more realistic view of the day to day living costs and the areas in the background emoji23.pngemoji23.png.

We dont expect it to be better than the UK at all, infact i presume it is going to be quite similar weather wise, but the fact the sky will be bluer most days of the year and the fact we will have 3/4 months nicer weather as opposed to a couple of weeks (spread out over the "summer") will be amazing for us as our boys are very outdoorsy (if thats even a word emoji23.png)

We expect to word hard and we are not going in with any "well back in the UK" attitude as we are looking forward to embracing the Aussie lifestyle. Melbourne appeals to us because of the artsy scene. Geelong looks most appealing to suit our family at the moment. We dont expect a 5 bed house overlooking the beach with a pool at first, but we are hard working and that is going to be a goal in the future for sure. I mean, why not??

As for careers etc, OH is a newly qualified teacher, so not in a job that is going to have us feeling like theres been a huge wage cut etc. As for myself, i am currently a psychology student and will qualify just before we jet out (if plans go accordingly) so i will be looking to start on the first rung of the career ladder as we step foot there.

Again, thanks ever so much for the feedback! Xx

Thanks, Emma x

Don't wish to put a dampener on anything here but a couple of things to bear in mind - is your DH a 4 year secondary trained teacher expecting to work as a teacher?  If so, you do realise that getting a permanent job in a place that people actually want to live in can be a tad fraught. If he's Maths/Science he should be OK but other things - don't hold your breath.

Secondly, you say Psychology student.  Does that mean you are just doing honours or are you finishing up a doctorate?  If the latter you should be OK but read up on the trials and tribulations of negotiating AHPRA registration for international arrivals and the problems associated with being a provisional psych.  If the former, then you have a long way to go to becoming a psychologist and that can be expensive to achieve.  Psychologists are ten a penny in Australia, it's the degree of choice for many and it isn't easy to get your feet on any rung of any ladder unless you've got all the qualifications.

You've got a year or so up your sleeve with respect to your eldest - if it isn't going according to plan then you will need to get him back to get on the GCSE merry go round otherwise it gets a tad tricky.

Good luck with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottieGirl said:

Spent 4 hours driving to a beach  near Batesman bay that was supposed to be a popular spot for roos. Not one sodding roo was seen ? So drove 4 hours back...

We have them in our garden in Canberra - dead scary they are too when you pop out for the paper early in the morning and they bounce past you.  We also had a very determined possum who thought that our wood stove was "home" and we had to take him out a couple of times before he got the message (with a big wire cage on the chimney) that he wasn't going down there any more! Bloody nuisance he was too.  We also have several that like to launch themselves off the tree onto our tin roof - sounds like the end of the world!

Guest The Pom Queen
37 minutes ago, Flavourshaker said:

Seriously leaving everything behind for a "blue sky" is a very superficial way of looking at things.

You'd be better putting the £x0000's it will cost for visas, flights, time out of work, housing, gap training, cash lost on a cack exchange rate etc towards multiple holidays to Spain every year and get your blue sky that way.

I suppose we are all different, we came here for the weather and it has been wonderful. In fact we have gone 3 months with no rain and were praying for some which we got today. Maybe it's me but I think everything looks so much nicer when the suns out.

I think you’ve completely missed the OPs point

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz
  • Like 2