Changes to pathway to Citizenship

Beffers

I will also apply for citizenship under the old rules by next week, hoping we will no longer be affected of the decision after October 18.

My only concern is we're going overseas next year for 4 weeks, but I am assuming my application will not be looked after by that time considering the number of backlogs.

The same thing is also happening to Malcolm Roberts from one nation. If nick Xenophon goes then Malcolm Roberts definitely will. This makes the same numbers as before which is still in our favour.

Even if Xenophon resigns, he gets replaced by a NXT candidate so Not to worry, he said.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ali369829 said:

The same thing is also happening to Malcolm Roberts from one nation. If nick Xenophon goes then Malcolm Roberts definitely will. This makes the same numbers as before which is still in our favour.

Even if Xenophon resigns, he gets replaced by a NXT candidate so Not to worry, he said.

That’s good news ?

thanks Ali

The Bill will be thrown out unless it passes the Senate by 18 October.   The High Court will not have resolved any of the citizenship cases by then.  Senator Xenophon has not given a date for his resignation.  Senator Sinadinos is on leave for health reasons; he will be given a pair.   So nothing material has changed.

Not sure below inf useful or not.
People who become citizens recently got E-mails from DIBP like below...

dear...
you might aware that government recently announced changes to Australia citizenship process etc etc...

like 4 years PR. and other major rules mentioned 
We want conduct new sample citizenship tests survey will be held at  .... location, will be held in last week of October and first week of November... if you are interested to participate, let us know....we will reimburses your expenses. 

Thank you....

First of all bill it self is in dilemma and now DIBP is wasting the people money again on Surveys and sample tests. Cannot they wait for another one week to see weather bill can be passed or not?

2 hours ago, seeker said:

Not sure below inf useful or not.
People who become citizens recently got E-mails from DIBP like below...

dear...
you might aware that government recently announced changes to Australia citizenship process etc etc...

like 4 years PR. and other major rules mentioned 
We want conduct new sample citizenship tests survey will be held at  .... location, will be held in last week of October and first week of November... if you are interested to participate, let us know....we will reimburses your expenses. 

Thank you....

First of all bill it self is in dilemma and now DIBP is wasting the people money again on Surveys and sample tests. Cannot they wait for another one week to see weather bill can be passed or not?

Mate this is def a scam, you can tell by the language. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, crunchy said:

Question is after October 18 will they speed up the citizenship app process and add more resources to compensate for the time wasted chasing this ridiculous bill? Or is everyone after April 20 still looking at a total of almost 2 year wait?

Seeing the attitude of immigration minister so far is discouraging, I don't think he really cares.

5 hours ago, wombatinabox said:

Question is after October 18 will they speed up the citizenship app process and add more resources to compensate for the time wasted chasing this ridiculous bill? Or is everyone after April 20 still looking at a total of almost 2 year wait?

Seeing the attitude of immigration minister so far is discouraging, I don't think he really cares.

I hope so they speed up the frozen apps, it would be very long wait otherwise! I am waiting since May, has been very stressful experience for me and everyone affected!

Edited by peterson

Well they could well put all the existing applications in one pile and assign a team to do the backlog, then new applications would be sent to another team who would start processing to the standard timescales.

This happened to us when a hold was put on visa applications, once they started processing again to meet the standards new applications went to a different team and the backlog was processed separately.  This meant people applying well after us actually got grants before we did.

not saying this will happen but I have decided to wait to apply.  We meet the new rules in Jan 2018 anyway.  Son finalised his application on the 20th, before any info was on the site at all.  So it is in the old pile, hopefully near the top!  We only met the old rules in June as we had been out of Australia for longer in total than he had.

As there was no warning on the site, nothing appeared till later in the day, when he applied I will expect a refund if they reject the application as not meeting the new rules.  He has had no communication at all since applying.  I do not find that acceptable at all.

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 21:02, ozpursuit said:

If this bill is about greater integration and contribution to the society, the 4 year wait is harsh. Someone said there is no difference between people who came here on direct PR visa vs the temporary visa. But there is.

• 5 years on 457 and one year PR. This person has contributed taxes for 5 years and had spent his hard earned money in the Australian economy. He has likely made his life here, enjoyed the company of his colleagues and friends.
  • 10 years on student visa and one year PR. This person, just the same, spent and invested her money to gain an Australian qualification which must have been very expensive for an international student. She's likely working on the side and would've paid taxes. As with person one, she's made a life here, enjoyed the company of her Australian and international friends and had celebrated every occasion that is Australian.

If the bases of the bill are greater social integration and proven contribution to the society, why do those years that person A and B spent on temporary visa are overlooked by the citizenship changes?

I would even argue that those who came in as a direct RP would NOT compare to the contribution and degree of integration that person A and B would've demonstrated.

It is not the citizenship that must be changed, it is the permanent residency program that should be reviewed.

This statement is not just stupid and an insult to all tax paying and contributing PR's. The point is: it's completely wrong and PR bashing of an obviously envious person who is unable to apply for PR in the first instance.  Ozpursuit doesn't obviously know that students are only allowed to work 20 hours per week. Well, if the student he knows contributed more tax in 1 year as a PR I request proof how that works out! Many international students and domestic students pay a heck of student fees etc and the aim is to gain a reputable Australian University Degree therefore student visas are for students only not for migrants. Well, if somebody uses it as a back door for migration that's another story. I know many students abroad including myself who never had the intention to settle there. The purpose was simply to obtain an International recognised degree to enhance professional reputation.

Well,  temporary residents on 457 can apply anytime for PR if they qualify. Yes, I know that's the point and this forum is full of warnings and sad stories in regards to this visa and its associated pitfalls! Again, no proof how they pay more tax then PR's. How about evidence anyway? All stupid, unsustainable claims, actually not worth to discuss.

Edited by silencio
mistake
  • Like 2

The thing I don't understand is the argument I am seeing on here about who pays the most tax. I was unaware that worthiness to citizenship was based on how much tax people pay. Surely there has to be more to a person's eligibility than how much tax they pay or have paid? My memory is a little hazy about the PR rules now as I originally got my PR back in 2003. I remember I got in due to my teaching qualifications and experience, I was fluent in English and I was under 30 years old. I remember they had a list of jobs and skills they needed, and if you had any of those skills, the right amount of experience, could speak English and were a certain age, then you were in and could apply.

To my knowledge, being a student does not equate to the skills needed for PR, but possibly the end product would be (ie... you become an engineer or doctor etc). To try to make out that a student has been paying more taxes and is therefore more worthy seems to be missing the point. Surely it is about skills and what you as an individual can bring to Australia as a whole? If you have what they need and/or want then you have a good chance of success. 

1 hour ago, silencio said:

This statement is not just stupid and an insult to all tax paying and contributing PR's. The point is: it's completely wrong and PR bashing of an obviously envious person who is unable to apply for PR in the first instance.  Ozpursuit doesn't obviously know that students are only allowed to work 20 hours per week. Well, if the student he knows contributed more tax in 1 year as a PR I request proof how that works out! Many international students and domestic students pay a heck of student fees etc and the aim is to gain a reputable Australian University Degree therefore student visas are for students only not for migrants. Well, if somebody uses it as a back door for migration that's another story. I know many students abroad including myself who never had the intention to settle there. The purpose was simply to obtain an International recognised degree to enhance professional reputation.

Well,  temporary residents on 457 can apply anytime for PR if they qualify. Yes, I know that's the point and this forum is full of warnings and sad stories in regards to this visa and its associated pitfalls! Again, no proof how they pay more tax then PR's. How about evidence anyway? All stupid, unsustainable claims, actually not worth to discuss.

I forgive the myopic view of this person (and the other person who came before, and those who will come after) and I rise above those who use deprecating words. They are uncalled for, non-constructive, does not invite nor contribute to a meaningful discussion.

Supposed the bill was founded on greater integration and contribution, 4 years on PR is harsh to those who were on temporary visa and has become PR for a year and qualified for citizenship. Their contribution will not compare to the contribution and degree of integration just because as much as there may be minute similarities, they are different. They do not compare does not mean the other has greater or lesser contribution or degree of integration. Although tax paid is quantifiable, it's hard to quantify integration. Hence the conundrum in some provisions of the bill. I concede that the post could have been clearer to include other aspects of contribution such as contribution to innovative research (for PhD students), community volunteer work, cultural exchange and a whole lot more. The point you raise is so true ian360 (The thing I don't understand is the argument I am seeing on here about who pays the most tax). Those advertising the obscene amount of tax money they pay to the government seem to want to justify that they are worthy of citizenship when what I was hoping was the discussion of the issues of A and B or those who have been on provisional visa before PR, or those who have been partners, or those who were in special circumstances. 

Fact check:

students are only allowed to work 20 hours per week - depends if you're undergraduate or graduate student, could be full time hours on term breaks

But then again, given the misgivings of my post, I think just because tax money is very quantifiable some people are fixated to zoom in on that.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2017 at 08:51, Parley said:

Any applicant for Australian citizenship from TODAY must have been resident in Australia for 4 years with no more than 12 months out of Australia during that time.

ok, im really confused in relation to the new rules, I have lived here continuously since 2012. .. I was advised they are not processing any new application? I have put of applying because of this. 

Edited by Chris N Lora

37 minutes ago, ozpursuit said:

I forgive the myopic view of this person (and the other person who came before, and those who will come after) and I rise above those who use deprecating words. They are uncalled for, non-constructive, does not invite nor contribute to a meaningful discussion.

Supposed the bill was founded on greater integration and contribution, 4 years on PR is harsh to those who were on temporary visa and has become PR for a year and qualified for citizenship. Their contribution will not compare to the contribution and degree of integration just because as much as there may be minute similarities, they are different. They do not compare does not mean the other has greater or lesser contribution or degree of integration. Although tax paid is quantifiable, it's hard to quantify integration. Hence the conundrum in some provisions of the bill. I concede that the post could have been clearer to include other aspects of contribution such as contribution to innovative research (for PhD students), community volunteer work, cultural exchange and a whole lot more. The point you raise is so true ian360 (The thing I don't understand is the argument I am seeing on here about who pays the most tax). Those advertising the obscene amount of tax money they pay to the government seem to want to justify that they are worthy of citizenship when what I was hoping was the discussion of the issues of A and B or those who have been on provisional visa before PR, or those who have been partners, or those who were in special circumstances. 

Fact check:

students are only allowed to work 20 hours per week - depends if you're undergraduate or graduate student, could be full time hours on term breaks

But then again, given the misgivings of my post, I think just because tax money is very quantifiable some people are fixated to zoom in on that.

Well to be fair, this kinda clears up your points for me. Thank you for the update, ozpursuit.

20 minutes ago, Chris N Lora said:

ok, im really confused in relation to the new rules, I have lived here continuously since 2012. .. I was advised they are not processing any new application? I have put of applying because of this. 

you're really late, did you even bother reading the first pages?? they explain everything, try to google "new citizenship law" and read.

Edited by peterson