Changes to pathway to Citizenship

Beffers

Can we not fight over who pays more tax and who doesn't and instead focus on the real subject at hand? No point in judging each other, everyone has unique life circumstances and I'm certain 99% of people on this thread just want this nightmare imposed upon us since April 20 to be over soon.

My App is frozen since May, I've been lurking for a while and found comments by Roberta and Wombat to be very useful, lets keep discussion relevant.

Maybe we all party after October 18th!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, peterson said:

Can we not fight over who pays more tax and who doesn't and instead focus on the real subject at hand? No point in judging each other, everyone has unique life circumstances and I'm certain 99% of people on this thread just want this nightmare imposed upon us since April 20 to be over soon.

My App is frozen since May, I've been lurking for a while and found comments by Roberta and Wombat to be very useful, lets keep discussion relevant.

Maybe we all party after October 18th!

I agree, it seems we will be ok, as we have lived her since 2012 with no break we will meet the criteria , I was not aware we could of applied in 2013, however, I hope the rules do not come in. 

Roberta is signing out for a while.  Off soon to the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Beersheba.  Grandfather was in the famous Charge, with the Fourth Light Horse Regiment.  Turnbull will be there of course.  They all love to wrap themselves in the flag.

On 03/10/2017 at 08:19, seeker said:

Hi,

It is difficult to Answer, I did check with help desk the update I got is, we should inform them about our travel plans, so that they can put a hold on application till you come back and they said don't take longer vacation. After the case is approved( which mean you take the test and got confirmation that you citizenship application is approved) ,you are allowed to travel without any restrictions. but travelling before case is approved is not recommended. 

Ok cheers. 

Seems thr answer to my question may be a yes. 

Superb 

15 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Well they could well put all the existing applications in one pile and assign a team to do the backlog, then new applications would be sent to another team who would start processing to the standard timescales.

This happened to us when a hold was put on visa applications, once they started processing again to meet the standards new applications went to a different team and the backlog was processed separately.  This meant people applying well after us actually got grants before we did.

not saying this will happen but I have decided to wait to apply.  We meet the new rules in Jan 2018 anyway.  Son finalised his application on the 20th, before any info was on the site at all.  So it is in the old pile, hopefully near the top!  We only met the old rules in June as we had been out of Australia for longer in total than he had.

As there was no warning on the site, nothing appeared till later in the day, when he applied I will expect a refund if they reject the application as not meeting the new rules.  He has had no communication at all since applying.  I do not find that acceptable at all.

Same case may not be applied for Citizenship as each applicant has to go through Citizenship exam in first phase, which should be allocated in order based on your location and then ceremony dates needs to be given based on councils. so I think Department has to process the applications in order. They may speed up the process to clear the backlog. I know many people yet to apply and are waiting for bill status. once bills is officially doomed, DIBP will receive massive number of applications to process again.

Latest News

Citizenship, unis on parliament agenda

Members of parliament will return from a four-week break on Monday to deal with issues ranging from citizenship to university funding.
Source:
AAP
1 HOUR AGO 

The federal government is pushing ahead with two controversial bills, to overhaul citizenship and university funding, despite both facing a tough path through parliament.

Parliament resumes in Canberra on Monday for a four-day sitting after a month-long break.

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton is keen to secure Senate passage of his bill, listed for debate on Tuesday, to tighten English language requirements for citizenship applicants and make migrants wait longer to apply.

However, Labor, the Greens and Nick Xenophon Team say the changes are unfair and the government has failed to show why they are needed.

Even government senators who scrutinised the bill in an inquiry said the tougher English language standard should be reconsidered, as well as the proposed two-year ban on applications following three failed attempts of the citizenship test.

And that there should be some form of transitional arrangement for people who held permanent residency visas on or before April 20 so the current residency requirements apply to this cohort of citizenship applicants.

If the bill is rejected, Labor says the immigration department must start processing every citizenship application immediately under the existing law.

The government has listed its university reforms for debate in the Senate on Wednesday.

Greens MP Adam Bandt said he feared the Nick Xenophon Team and One Nation could back the measures, which would cut funding and put students into more debt.

"It's a bad reform and the Greens will be voting it down," he told AAP on Wednesday.

However the coalition says the measures will enable the university sector to remain world-class and provide for no upfront fees, while easing pressure on the federal budget.

The government has also prioritised draft laws to abolish "limited merits review", in a move designed to take pressure off electricity prices.

A Senate committee report into the proposal is due to be tabled before debate starts on the bill.

Inquiry reports are also due on the protection of personal Medicare information, laws to set up the Australian Financial Complaints Authority, road safety, the rail industry and online poker.

1 hour ago, Ari An said:

Purely cynical, but the last paragraph of the article says they are also considering " protection of personal Medicare information, laws to set up the Australian Financial Complaints Authority, road safety, the rail industry and online poker."

Many years of living in oz lead me to think that the last one will be the priority......

• Haha 1

• I am trying to fill out the Citizenship application and there was a question there about your travel outside Australia since you turn 18. Will these include travels overseas while you are still in your country of origin? Or I only need to provide the travels outside Australia since I came here in 2013? Thanks a lot.

17 minutes ago, Zet01 said:
  • I am trying to fill out the Citizenship application and there was a question there about your travel outside Australia since you turn 18. Will these include travels overseas while you are still in your country of origin? Or I only need to provide the travels outside Australia since I came here in 2013? Thanks a lot.

on the application, you do not need to disclose travel unless you have been out of Australia for more than 90 days since arrival. 

• Like 1

On 05/07/2017 at 20:15, wombatinabox said:

Thats correct under the new proposed rules. 

If you don't like these rules, then follow the instructions posted above to email reps and senators to fight this bill and throw it out. 

Thank you and sorry for delayed reply.

I got granted PR yesterday. If the bill doesn't get passed, what were the old/original rules of applying for citizenship after PR?

1 hour ago, peterson said:

This whole thing has been such a huge waste of time, 7 months waiting on hold and in the end its all just BS.

Was this even legal for Peter Dutton to freeze applications without a law being in place.

It's not over for Dutton - his pride will likely prevent him from admitting defeat even at the expense of future votes!

Anyway, it's not over until it is and the fat lady has yet to sing!

Edited by Spinny_Drift

18 minutes ago, Spinny_Drift said:

It's not over for Dutton - his pride will likely prevent him from admitting defeat even at the expense of future votes!

Anyway, it's not over until it is and the fat lady has yet to sing!

If after October 18 applications are still on hold, it will be further proof that this whole Application freeze is purely political and Dutton's personal quest.

Nothing to do with "reforms" and all the other BS we are fed.

19 minutes ago, Forces said:

Just wondering assuming the  Bill get defeated, does the government / Dutton has the power to continue the freeze of applications from the April ?

Not sure if he had the power to freeze apps in the first place with no law in place, clearly he is not in a hurry to resume the applications so lets see what happens. Maybe Senate will have to force him if he still keeps them frozen or lawsuits will start to come out.

Here is the Proposed Amendment from Independent Senator: GICHUHI, Lucy

http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/download/legislation/amend/r5914_amend_8a2b6010-ca96-4aff-9919-adf917f5604e/upload_pdf/8226revised CW Aus Citizenship Leg Amdt (Strengthening Requirements) Bill 2017 Gichuhi.pdf;fileType=application%2Fpdf

2016-2017

The Parliament of the Commonwealth of Australia

THE SENATE

Australian Citizenship Legislation Amendment (Strengthening the Requirements for Australian Citizenship and Other Measures) Bill 2017

(Amendments to be moved by Senator Gichuhi in committee of the whole)
(1) Schedule 1, item 8, page 4 (lines 22 to 25), omit the item, substitute:
8  Section 3 Insert:
basic English: a person has basic English in the circumstances determined under paragraph 21(9)(a). [definition of language requirements]
(2) Schedule 1, item 41, page 16 (line 19), omit “competent”, substitute “basic”. [language requirements]
(3) Schedule 1, item 46, page 17 (line 9), omit “competent”, substitute “basic”. [language requirements]
(4) Schedule 1, item 51, page 18 (line 6), omit “competent”, substitute: “basic”. [language requirements]
(5) Schedule 1, item 53, page 18 (line 16), omit “competent”, substitute: “basic”. [language requirements]
(6) Schedule 1, item 53, page 18 (line 20), omit “competent”, substitute: “basic”. [language requirements]