Changes to pathway to Citizenship

Beffers

I'm frustrated because we became eligible to apply on Friday. If this bill is thrown out then they'll be another flood of applications. I'm trying to get mine in today and can't get past page 6 on the online application as it's saying I'm not
Eligible but they haven't asked me any info about our permanent residency yet! I'm 120th in the queue on the phone grrr!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Lou8670 said:

I'm frustrated because we became eligible to apply on Friday. If this bill is thrown out then they'll be another flood of applications. I'm trying to get mine in today and can't get past page 6 on the online application as it's saying I'm not
Eligible but they haven't asked me any info about our permanent residency yet! I'm 120th in the queue on the phone grrr!

Take a screenshots of the errors and save them for reference.. it could be system error, I applied last month without any issues. 

36 minutes ago, Lou8670 said:

Lou8670

Please see attached

A496023B-349A-44F4-9615-EB670EF9ACE5.png

It looks like nothing going to happen today.

The Minister might not bring the bill at all for voting. He doesn`t like to be told what he needs to do. And that will put all of us or any prospective applicant in a bad position again.

If that happens, the legislation will be removed from the Senate notice paper, requiring the government to win a motion to restore it at a later stage. A later stage without a date it means longer waiting again. 

And knowing that the current Citizenship Regulations and Citizenship Policy hasn`t changed as yet, it is not fair to continue and block the processing of the applications until further notice.

Not Fair Game from any point of view.

• Like 2

I think a Paper Application is more secure. It might take somewhere a week to two months to receive the Acknowledgment Letter. And the official application date acknowledged by DIBP is the date you have signed your citizenship application. 

Edited by Ari An
adding more info.

1 minute ago, Forces said:

Dutton has to be the most arrogant guy roaming this world. He has a deadline but he doesn’t seem to be in any hurry. had he not been given this deadline, he would have sat on this bill for years.

Needless to say, when I eventually get my citizenship, I will not be voting for Liberal.

• Like 1

Potato head probably won't bring the bill to a vote, that way in his limited mind he wouldn't have lost! The bill will simply be iced! If nothing happens by tomorrow he'll have little choice but to process frozen apps in accordance with current legislation!

That's what I think too which is why I want my application in asap. I know it'll take them an age to process the backlog but I don't want my application behind a bubble of people who may be able to apply who were told not to after 20

April or delayed any further than necessary because I delayed submitting it [emoji20]

If you are interested in following what is currently happening in the senate follow the red dynamic.

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Dynamic_Red

For the moment the bill is still on schedule, but in fact I have some doubt that this will be debated. But it doesn't mean either that our situation is all resolved.

Gosh, when I think about it, since I landed in australia, i went throught a real marathon in getting  visas, making sacrifices and fivkng a lot to this country etc... and off course the last leg of the run had to be tricky and full of doubt. Gosh my application was ready on the monday but I couldn't upload my photo. So i said, No worries, will do it over the week end. They changed the rules on the thursday... damned!

Perhaps one day we will remember this period and will smile at it...

Well perhaps.

Let's hope, we are almost there.

• Like 2

Fellows .... This is my first post in this forum and on this thread. 

Have read through the excruciating details of the pain and heart ache this controversial bill has caused everyone involved. 

So i thought i should sign up and give in my 2 cents worth and share a bit of good news with you guys. 

I think the victory is in sight !!! 

Government has bowed down and introduced amendments of their own and one of the major ones is retrospective 20th April 2017 changes. 

http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/download/legislation/amend/r5914_amend_36be708a-a92a-4230-b764-e97b3d91311d/upload_pdf/B17GJ148.pdf;fileType=application%2Fpdf#search="legislation/amend/r5914_amend_36be708a-a92a-4230-b764-e97b3d91311d"

Lets hope we get to pledge allegiance to Australia soon. 

Have a great day :) 

18 minutes ago, Praneet Singh Purewal said:

Fellows .... This is my first post in this forum and on this thread. 

Have read through the excruciating details of the pain and heart ache this controversial bill has caused everyone involved. 

So i thought i should sign up and give in my 2 cents worth and share a bit of good news with you guys. 

I think the victory is in sight !!! 

Government has bowed down and introduced amendments of their own and one of the major ones is retrospective 20th April 2017 changes. 

http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/download/legislation/amend/r5914_amend_36be708a-a92a-4230-b764-e97b3d91311d/upload_pdf/B17GJ148.pdf;fileType=application%2Fpdf#search="legislation/amend/r5914_amend_36be708a-a92a-4230-b764-e97b3d91311d"

Lets hope we get to pledge allegiance to Australia soon. 

Have a great day :) 

Thanks for the info.

It seems to be for required level of English only. Is there any update on waiting period as well?

I am going to be eligible next month on November 28th 2017. This amendment means only the applicants which have already applied are going to be eligible under the old rules . I though the amendment was to give relief to all the people who were already permanent residents on 20th of april. 3 more years wait is so painful.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elliotkan said:

Assume this does not mean the bill can therefore be passed ?

We will see tonight but unlikely it will pass, the amendments only address 2 issues, it only lowers the IELTS level to 5 which won't be sufficient to convince NXT  and removes the "retrospective" aspect of the bill. 

NXT asked Dutton to revise the entire bill not just those 2 issues

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ali369829 said:

If this amendment bill pass....commencement from 1 July 2018...so everyone safe coz nothing deal with 20th April.

(so from 1july 2018, waiting period total 4years with permanent residency)

but need to pass ? tonight 

I will be eligible to apply in May 2018 under the current rules - does this mean I will still be able to apply in next May if the amended one passed ?