Changes to pathway to Citizenship

Beffers

14 minutes ago, bwatt99 said:

About time, now they need to sort out the mess they left. Wished wife had applied 1st june when she was eligible under old rules to get ahead of the game., but we never knew where this would go but glad now she apply start of sept.

I also wished we did the same thing as we were eligible since May. We just applied last Friday, 5 months was wasted. But I am still happy and ecstatic that I do not need to wait for 3 long years to apply for citizenship. Happy days! Can't wait to receive the test date notice. I know it's a long wait because of the backlog, but it's way way better than being left in the dark. :)

Edited by Zet01

1 hour ago, Felix123 said:

I wonder if Malcolm realises the effect of this situation. I’m now a citizen got my passport and on the electoral roll. I never thought I’d say this but my first vote in Australia is likely to be Labour. 

I wonder how many also think the same.

B382C493-D6D6-4087-9BBA-420240F71206.jpeg

Mal and his not so clever pal have lost a sh*t-ton of votes but before you jump on the labor bandwagon consider their stance on other issues which are less desirable! Surely there has to be someone other than the two majors worth voting for?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spinny_Drift said:

Mal and his not so clever pal have lost a sh*t-ton of votes but before you jump on the labor bandwagon consider their stance on other issues which are less desirable! Surely there has to be someone other than the two majors worth voting for?

Very true. I’m sure there will be lots of change before the next election! How many Prime Ministers have we had since I’ve lived in Australia? One for each year! 

On 10/17/2017 at 15:50, Lou8670 said:

I'm frustrated because we became eligible to apply on Friday. If this bill is thrown out then they'll be another flood of applications. I'm trying to get mine in today and can't get past page 6 on the online application as it's saying I'm not
Eligible but they haven't asked me any info about our permanent residency yet! I'm 120th in the queue on the phone grrr!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are eligible to apply this Friday, the online system would not let you go further with your application before this date. It is not an error, nor related to the bill. It is just how the system works to make sure people apply only when they become eligible. There is information of the date of arrival and date of PR grant (at least that was my case) and the system automatically stops you from applying before you become eligible. So no worries, wait until Friday and you will be able to access the whole form.

15 hours ago, jodipodi said:

One year!!! Omg.

Weve been here since May 1st.

I thought old bill was 2 years wonder where i got that from?...

Thats amazing hope it stays that way until at least May next year...!!

You still have to have lived here a total of 4 years though.

1 hour ago, captain_hoomi said:

The website still insists on the new rules!!

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/am-i-eligible

16 hours ago, coker said:

It may take a few days to update the DIBP site, but it is been removed from the page we used to see when you login to your immi account. 
Now DIBP will be flooded with applications,

people  living here for years on PR and did not take citizenship for various reasons may apply now, this number could we be high I believe..
people completed one year on PR and completed 4 years recently will apply

people completed 4 years recently on PR will apply.

coming 2-3 months.. real tough time for DIBP..

Good news. I have seen on here mentioned that people have received a letter acknowledging receipt of their application. I have only seen the debit of the citizenship application fee from my account but no acknowledgement letter or email. Can anyone shed some light on this? Did everyone receive an acknowledgment ? I applied  End May 2017, debited my account Early June 2017 but no communication from Immi at all. They were quick to take my money. 

1 minute ago, Rorz said:

Good news. I have seen on here mentioned that people have received a letter acknowledging receipt of their application. I have only seen the debit of the citizenship application fee from my account but no acknowledgement letter or email. Can anyone shed some light on this? Did everyone receive an acknowledgment ? I applied  End May 2017, debited my account Early June 2017 but no communication from Immi at all. They were quick to take my money. 

I received acknowledgement letter email 2 days after i applied in May, pretty sure most people did even if app was frozen. It's nothing special. 

1 hour ago, seeker said:

The website will probably be behind in updating for awhile. I was still able to download a paper application form at end of May from their website that had the old (current) rules regarding 1 year PR before applying for citizenship. 

2 minutes ago, Rorz said:

Did you apply online? If yes, the acknowledgement should have come straight after payment was received. Not sure about paper, from others I know it might take a week or a couple of weeks. My suggestion is to call DIBP, they would have acknowledged receipt as of now.

5 minutes ago, Rorz said:

Hi

when you sign in on your online acct go to view mailbox. It should be in there.

Eddie

4 minutes ago, AnneOz said:

Did you apply online? If yes, the acknowledgement should have come straight after payment was received. Not sure about paper, from others I know it might take a week or a couple of weeks. My suggestion is to call DIBP, they would have acknowledged receipt as of now.

Thank you for the response, no I applied by mail paper based application. Reason i choose paper rather than online is that i was unable to apply online due to the 20th April rule changes but their paper application form still had the old rules of 1 year PR. 

8 minutes ago, peterson said:

Just spoke to DIBP, they said applications are still on hold they didn't receive any instructions yet except what they heard from news media. You'd think and order would go out right away. 

My wife has just told that on Skynews website it says that DIBP have been told that they have to clear the backlog by Christmas. We'll see as I don't think that they can. 

11 minutes ago, peterson said:

Just spoke to DIBP, they said applications are still on hold they didn't receive any instructions yet except what they heard from news media. You'd think and order would go out right away. 

Lol they're clearly not communicating well :) 

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/10/19/dutton-offers-easier-english-test-defeated-citizenship-bill-set-be-revised