Changes to pathway to Citizenship

Beffers

19 minutes ago, n1ck said:

NXT did express their view that the changes shouldn't be back dated and only put in place from when this becomes law.. So does this then mean people who meet the CURRENT requirements and lodge before it becomes law will be approved ? Eg: in my case where I have had PR for 2 years and will have been in the country for 4 years at the end of the year.

I would love to know that also wife been here since june 2013,will have 4 yrs pr in july 2018 but could have applied june this year but never did due to the changes.

We are looking into the application now as hopefully it go either way they back date or anyone already applied is ok.

Maybe wife needs to get this done soon incase its all sorted out.

I have a friend who got PR in July 2016, had been here for 7 years on 457s before that.  Under the old rules, he would have been eligible in July 2017.  Under the new rules, it will 2020 and only if he stays in Australia.

His company closed down last year and he has been out of work for quite a while (Perth market), he could have left for Europe but he stayed as he wanted to secure his citizenship so even if he went to Europe for a few years he could come back (post 2021).  Then they moved the goalposts on him.

He got advice from a good migration agent here to apply as soon as he was eligible under the old rules and see how it plays out which is what he did.  Worst case scenario he loses the application fee (c.$300).

This was good advice IMO.  If you are eligible (under the old rules) apply.  In Perth it is taking about 12 months to process after application anyway.

Edited by Collie
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Roberta2 said:

The Senate Committee report in itself doesn't mean too much.  The responses of the ALP and the Greens were entirely predictable. What probably matters most  is the expressed view of the Xenophon team in its Dissenting Report.    It says nothing about the proposed requirement for PRs to be here for four years before being granted citizenship.  

Backdating,  English level and Dutton superpower seem to be the main issues for the committee but I do not see anything against the 4 years PR requirement. Labor (and the Greens ?) is the only party expressing concerns around the 4 years waiting period.
I agree with Xenophon when he says that the government is trying "“to fix problems that don't exist”
There are so many things that need to be worked on in Australia, it is really disappointing and annoying to see the current government constantly doing political maneuvers in attempt to keep their power instead of just governing... As a taxpayer who does not have the right to vote, it really gets on my nerves.
Anyways, my hope is to see the next election happen before this bill gets to pass.

Edited by jess6

26 minutes ago, Collie said:

I have a friend who got PR in July 2016, had been here for 7 years on 457s before that.  Under the old rules, he would have been eligible in July 2017.  Under the new rules, it will 2020 and only if he stays in Australia.

His company closed down last year and he has been out of work for quite a while (Perth market), he could have left for Europe but he stayed as he wanted to secure his citizenship so even if he went to Europe for a few years he could come back (post 2021).  Then they moved the goalposts on him.

He got advice from a good migration agent here to apply as soon as he was eligible under the old rules and see how it plays out which is what he did.  Worst case scenario he loses the application fee (c.$300).

This was good advice IMO.  If you are eligible (under the old rules) apply.  In Perth it is taking about 12 months to process after application anyway.

I agree with that, people who are eligible - or are becoming eligible during the negociations - should definitely apply.

I just obtained my PR early last month (after over 5 years 457 in Australia) so I cannot apply but if I were eligible under the "old rules", I would apply.

By the way, the "old rules" are actually the current rules...

Edited by jess6

Hi,

Could someone tell us what could be next steps in senate. I believe liberals has to go for voting now or aggree for amendments recommended by crossbench, make the changes to the bill and then go for voting. How long the overall process could take?. even after it become law, who long DIBP could take to resume the applications processing? since already more than 50000 applications are lodged from april 20 and waiting in queue, it looks like waiting periods will be anywhere between 1-2 years.. Thanks dutton... we got a strong reason for not to vote  to liberals after we get citizenship...

20 minutes ago, seeker said:

Hi,

Could someone tell us what could be next steps in senate. I believe liberals has to go for voting now or aggree for amendments recommended by crossbench, make the changes to the bill and then go for voting. How long the overall process could take?. even after it become law, who long DIBP could take to resume the applications processing? since already more than 50000 applications are lodged from april 20 and waiting in queue, it looks like waiting periods will be anywhere between 1-2 years.. Thanks dutton... we got a strong reason for not to vote  to liberals after we get citizenship...

Horse trading basically.  The government needs to get the support of ten of the twelve crossbenchers because Labor and the Greens oppose the Bill in its entirety.  I assume the government wants the Bill to go through (in whatever form finally emerges) within the current session of parliament.  

During a public hearing in late August, DIPB reps said they are clearing all applications made prior to April 20th, and this will take them up to the end of the year (November-December). At that time, they will ask the Minister about how to proceed with the applications lodged after the announcement. 

The Bill is dead in its current form, after NXT announced its position.

Dutton will need to amend it, at least watering down the English requirements and granting a transitional period.

The Bill was supposed to be debated yesterday in the Senate, but it wasn't.  Let's see how the government will decide to proceed.

• Like 1

Draft legislation programme in the Senate for next week is now available:

https://www.pmc.gov.au/sites/default/files/publications/senate-week4-spring.pdf

There are 8 Bills on the table, so it's not guaranteed that the highly contentious on Citizenship will be dealt with on Monday.

Dutton in an interview this morning said he is confident the Bill will get through with minor changes. He may ignore the recommendations from the Senate Committee and the dissenting reports by Labors and Greens, but he will have to make more than 'minor' changes to get the three NXT votes. 

Whatever will be I don't know but NXT will no consider with Dutton specially with...

1. Retrospective ( submitted application will be process) 

2. English test ( may be negotiate less mark or oppose)

#people who is still waiting for final result and don't want to  spent application cost they will suffer for sure ( my previous experience with immigration matters )

#coz dutton knows very well if applicants start going high court , we will win coz before law he hold all files, that's why possibly he will consider retrospective matters.

On 7/9/2017 at 15:58, dredg97 said:

During a public hearing in late August, DIPB reps said they are clearing all applications made prior to April 20th, and this will take them up to the end of the year (November-December). 

dredg97 I did the test the 1st June and my wife the 29th June and no approval arrived yet. We need to travel and we can not leave before Approval letter is issued. Just don't understand if they are going to give approval all in ones in November/December for all applications (if they meet requirements). Is this what they meant in the Public Hearing you mentioned? 

On 7/9/2017 at 15:58, dredg97 said:

7 hours ago, andyscary said:

dredg97 I did the test the 1st June and my wife the 29th June and no approval arrived yet. We need to travel and we can not leave before Approval letter is issued. Just don't understand if they are going to give approval all in ones in November/December for all applications (if they meet requirements). Is this what they meant in the Public Hearing you mentioned? 

Of course you can travel.  If your 5 year travel part of your visa is up all you need is an RRV.  You are not actually a citizen until after the ceremony and that can take months yet, it is only then that you need an Australian Passport.

Edited by AJ

The only amendments tabled so far in the Senate are to increase the time needed to be PR before gaining citizenship.  Senator Leyonhjelm has proposed eight years rather than four, and Senator Hanson has proposed ten years.  Signing ALP petitions is pointless - both the ALP and the Greens oppose the bill in toto.  You would be better off targeting the NXT Senators, who seem to hold the keys to the kingdom. 

The Bill wasn't debated yesterday in the Senate, but it is listed as number 3 in the Order of the day for today.

There are no amendments from the Government, the only three amendments are coming from One Nation, Liberal Democratics and Conversatives, requesting a further extension of the residency requirements (not 4 years as PR but 8 or 10).

Labors, Greens and NXT are opposing the Bill in its current form, last night Lucy Gichuhi for the first time has shown concerns on the English test requirement.

The Bill might be voted today, let's see what happens.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 09:51, dredg97 said:

The Bill wasn't debated yesterday in the Senate, but it is listed as number 3 in the Order of the day for today.

There are no amendments from the Government, the only three amendments are coming from One Nation, Liberal Democratics and Conversatives, requesting a further extension of the residency requirements (not 4 years as PR but 8 or 10).

Labors, Greens and NXT are opposing the Bill in its current form, last night Lucy Gichuhi for the first time has shown concerns on the English test requirement.

The Bill might be voted today, let's see what happens.

That's insane... four years is bad enough and now we have someone suggesting 8 or 10 years... how likely this will happen ? 

32 minutes ago, Roberta2 said:

Not likely.  These are extreme views.  However, I don't think the current one year PR requirement will stay either - two years seems more likely.  But just guessing like everyone else.

The media need to stop reporting it as 1 year PR - this is ONLY if you have been here on a temp visa for 3 and then gained PR, you can then apply after having PR for 1 year.  people coming on PR from the start have had to do 4 years residency as PR before applying for citizenship. since I came which was 8 years ago.  Before that it used to be 2.

• Like 1