Snap General Election Called

VERYSTORMY

1 hour ago, Johndoe said:

The biggest obstacle for the DUP to align will be the question of a soft, or hard border between the Republic. The general consensus is that the Brexit vote was carried mainly on the strength of tightening border control. The DUP want a soft border, the Brexit vote is generally considered as wanting a hard border. So do the tories concede a soft border to the DUP in return for their support, and thereby allow "immigration by the back door"?

Interesting point, apparently the DUP want a hard Brexit but soft border, not sure how that's supposed to work, whatever happens they would never do anything to topple the Tories while Corbyn is Lab leader.

Edited by amibovered
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Collie said:

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Tories To Make Deal With DUP After Satan Pulls Out

June 9, 2017 - BREAKING NEWS, POLITICS, WORLD NEWS

She4.5KSHARES

BRITISH PM THERESA May is set to confirm to the Queen that she has struck a deal with Northern Ireland’s DUP party, following the sad news Satan pulled his support for the Conservatives after having ‘second thoughts’, WWN can confirm.

It is believed May, driven by a strong and stable desire to cling to power in an act of naked self-preservation, no matter the consequences for the British public, struck a deal with a party known for its misogynist and bigoted views.

“Don’t forget they hate science and seem happy enough not to condemn terror groups like the UDA/UVF,” Satan explained to WWN, speaking exclusively from the fiery pits of hell.

“Look, we all have to draw the line somewhere, I was looking forward to helping Theresa carve out the worst possible vision for Britain with policies that would punish the most vulnerable in society, but **** me, have you seen the DUP? That was my call to exit stage left,” added the fallen angel.

Hailed as a triumphant political masterstroke by leading Tory idiots; enlisting the help of the DUP party, made up of level headed politicians with a similar number of ongoing scandals and corruption allegations as the Tories, is seen as great start to moving Britain forward.

“We had considerable bother finding the ruddy place on the map, but turns out it’s just left up by Scotland and across the sea,” confirmed a Tory spokesperson, outlining the location of Northern Ireland.

“Having a bunch of lunatics constantly threatening to the pull the plug on this government as we negotiate with the EU, I can’t think of a better way to govern, can you?” added the spokesperson.

The first part of the proposed deal between the two parties will see the DUP receive a shipment of over 300,000 miniature Union Jack flags.

Bloody brilliant. 

29 minutes ago, amibovered said:

Interesting point, apparently the DUP want a hard Brexit but soft border, not sure how that's supposed to work, whatever happens they would never do anything to topple the Tories while Corbyn is Lab leader.

And that will last for about 6 weeks until all the Tory grandees and right wingers find their strings being pulled by Arlene Foster and the rest of the DUP, who have never exhibited any real smarts, now have they.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

And that will last for about 6 weeks until all the Tory grandees and right wingers find their strings being pulled by Arlene Foster and the rest of the DUP, who have never exhibited any real smarts, now have they.

And what do you think is likely to happen, the DUP to let Corbyn have a sniff of power, never,never,never.

• Like 1

As an Australian I'm a bit confused. The UK was governed by the EU which UKip didn't like so they had a referendum to leave the EU, and in doing so managed to become the EU's bitch and became governed by a group of Irish people who think they are British? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, newjez said:

As an Australian I'm a bit confused. The UK was governed by the EU which UKip didn't like so they had a referendum to leave the EU, and in doing so managed to become the EU's bitch and became governed by a group of Irish people who think they are British? 

Very confused, clearly you don't have a clue, who the hell are you to tell someone they are not British.

Edited by amibovered
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, amibovered said:

Very confused, clearly you don't have a clue, who the hell are you to tell someone they are not British.

Well I guess Ireland is part of the British isles, so all Irish are British I guess. Maybe they think they are English?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, amibovered said:

Confused, who's confused, it is only the remains of the Protestant colonial power who did the English landlords dirty work that see themselves as British and they are in a minority.  

• Like 2

How can anyone defend this anything other than the most phyrric of phyrric victories for the Conservatives? It is a total disaster. May has not a hope of governing effectively - it will essentially be on a bill by bill basis. She can forget about a 'hard' Brexit:

- She has 0 - ZERO credibility in Brussels & will have her eurosceptic wing gunning for her

- The DUP will not tolerate a hard Irish border

- Can she even muster enough support with the DUP anyway? Ken Clarke, Anna Soubry et al will be the kingmakers

Jeremy Corbyn has solidified his credibility within his PLP and demonstrated that he is a viable leader of the opposition. They are now united and a far more dangerous opponent for the Conservatives than 6 weeks ago. 

Edited by Phenol
  • Like 2

Well that didn't turn out as people wanted 

just had a request on FB to sign a petition to stop the conservative and DUP forming a government 

what is it with people today if they don't get the right result they throw the toys out of the pram and demand another vote. 

Didnt get this last time round when labour coudnt do a deal with the lib- dems and a coalition government was formed by two parties on the opposite end of the political spectrum , people need to understand this is how Westminster works , deals are done all the time that most of us know nothing about. 

it might just work out , with Corbin getting a lot more seats than expected and being able to keep the cons on their toes and not able to rail road things through. interesting times ahead that's for sure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, newjez said:

Well I guess Ireland is part of the British isles, so all Irish are British I guess. Maybe they think they are English?

Nah! Scots/German/ Dutch with a few Chichesters thrown in from Devon and Wales for good luck :-)

How come you have all these novelty candidates in the UK like Elmo, Mr Fish Finger, and other joke candidates ?

It was a bit weird seeing Theresa May give her acceptance speech standing alongside Elmo from Sesame Street.

We don't have that in Australia.

3 hours ago, Parley said:

A few people feeling a bit embarrassed today after their wild predictions yesterday.

As you were everyone.

The only predictions I heard were either a Tory majority or a hung Parliament.  Surely nobody expected a Labour win.  They were over 20 points behind in the polls when the election was called.

Or do you mean the predictions that Labour would be wiped off the political map?  Those predictions are really embarrassing I agree.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

How come you have all these novelty candidates in the UK like Elmo, Mr Fish Finger, and other joke candidates ?

It was a bit weird seeing Theresa May give her acceptance speech standing alongside Elmo from Sesame Street.

We don't have that in Australia.

I think that's why.

4 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Well that didn't turn out as people wanted 

just had a request on FB to sign a petition to stop the conservative and DUP forming a government 

what is it with people today if they don't get the right result they throw the toys out of the pram and demand another vote. 

Didnt get this last time round when labour coudnt do a deal with the lib- dems and a coalition government was formed by two parties on the opposite end of the political spectrum , people need to understand this is how Westminster works , deals are done all the time that most of us know nothing about. 

it might just work out , with Corbin getting a lot more seats than expected and being able to keep the cons on their toes and not able to rail road things through. interesting times ahead that's for sure.

In some ways the lib dems are closer to the Tories than they are labour. At least in their members take home pay. You could call the lib dems wet Tories. I think you would struggle to call them blairite.

But it would be hard for them to identify with the dup. Likewise if labour went in with sinn fein people would have something to say. 

Likewise people who voted to stay in the single market object to a hard brexit.

I guess that's what happens when you have an election and it's not clear what you are voting for.

Much more simple in Australia.

Edited by newjez

5 hours ago, Phenol said:

How can anyone defend this anything other than the most phyrric of phyrric victories for the Conservatives? It is a total disaster. May has not a hope of governing effectively - it will essentially be on a bill by bill basis. She can forget about a 'hard' Brexit:

- She has 0 - ZERO credibility in Brussels & will have her eurosceptic wing gunning for her

- The DUP will not tolerate a hard Irish border

- Can she even muster enough support with the DUP anyway? Ken Clarke, Anna Soubry et al will be the kingmakers

Jeremy Corbyn has solidified his credibility within his PLP and demonstrated that he is a viable leader of the opposition. They are now united and a far more dangerous opponent for the Conservatives than 6 weeks ago. 

Can't wait for question time. Do you think she will turn up?

May will be gone by Oct. and election by Xmas (at the latest)

Do some research on the DUP, they are extreme social conservatives and very religious.

Didn't want to run by Brussels but happy to be run by Belfast (well East Belfast).

2 hours ago, Collie said:

May will be gone by Oct. and election by Xmas (at the latest)

Do some research on the DUP, they are extreme social conservatives and very religious.

Didn't want to run by Brussels but happy to be run by Belfast (well East Belfast).

Belfast isn't a foreign country last time I looked

Its been well reported how bad Teresa Mays campaign was and it is fair to say she cocked up on a couple of issues......dementia tax and failing to attend the leaders debate etc etc......JC on the other hand had a blinding campaign........he started slow but was like a steam train towards the end........he has the backing of the unions and an independent group (momentum) mobilising students across the country.....utilising social media to band together voters even driving them to the polling stations so they can vote.....but with all that assistance and help he still finished 50 odd seats behind a poor, some might say pathetic conservative party......how on earth is he going to win......things can't really get much better for him.....can they?