Snap General Election Called

VERYSTORMY

She called an election with the expectation of a large increased majority (c. 100 seats).  She made a a balls of the campaign, lost the existing majority.  It has been a personal political failure of huge proportions.

All the momentum is with Labour, if she doesn't resign she will be knifed by one of her own.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, BritChickx said:

Does DUP have at least 12 seats? Must admit I forget about NI! 

Most people in Britain do.  Something the unionists up there can't get their head around.

Sinn Fein generally do not take their seats in Westminister (as they refuse to swear an oath of allegience to the Queen) which reduces the number required for a majority to 322 (SF got 7)

It's either a deal with the DUP or LDs, a new election or a minority Govt

Edited by Collie

1 minute ago, Collie said:

Most people in Britain do.  Something the unionists up there can't get their head around.

Sinn Fein generally do not take their seats in Westminister (as they refuse to swear an oath of allegience to the Queen) which reduces the number required for a majority probably to 323.

So if they have not sworn the oath of allegiance does  that mean they can't vote in parliament? 

2 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

So if they have not sworn the oath of allegiance does  that mean they can't vote in parliament? 

Correct - they do not take their seats.  They still get paid and receive the various perks though.

4 minutes ago, Collie said:

Sinn Fein generally do not take their seats in Westminister (as they refuse to swear an oath of allegience to the Queen) which reduces the number required for a majority probably to 323.

I guess we just never hear anything about NI politics within the news/ media. Honestly i could have assumed they have their own government. Bit ignorant on my part though. 

Just now, BritChickx said:

I guess we just never hear anything about NI politics within the news/ media. Honestly i could have assumed they have their own government. Bit ignorant on my part though. 

It gets well covered in the Irish media.  You're not missing a lot.  NI politics are far from the usual left right divide, they are based on the Nationalist and Unionist communities.  Not as bad as in the past but still quite sectarian.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritChickx said:

I need to look up the whole NI thing? They dont take their seats? How would that work lol

Sinn Fein represent the Nationalist community in NI.  Their whole philosophy is that NI should be part of the republic and that the Britain has no place being there.  They do not recognise the Queen as the head of their state.

There is a devolved NI assembly and they do sit in that and have been in forced coalition governmnet since the peace process with the DUP.  Indeed the NI peace process is used as a model of how to peacefully resolve conflict all over the world. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

Wow, great gig if you can get it.  Paid to do bu99er all.

Well they still represent their constituencies and do constituency work.  My understanding is that in Sinn Fein, all MPs and TDs (Irish MPs) are paid the average industrial wage with the balance going to the party.

1 minute ago, Collie said:

Sinn Fein represent the Nationalist community in NI.  Their whole philosophy is that NI should be part of the republic and that the Britain has no place being there.  They do not recognise the Queen as the head of their state.

There is a devolved NI assembly and they do sit in that and have been in forced coalition governmnet since the peace process with the DUP.  Indeed the NI peace process is used as a model of how to peacefully resolve conflict all over the world. 

So if they dont take their seats in parliament how do they fight for their policies and pass legislation? Or is NI left to sort their own affairs out (to some degree) like Scotland?

Just now, BritChickx said:

So if they dont take their seats in parliament how do they fight for their policies and pass legislation? Or is NI left to sort their own affairs out (to some degree) like Scotland?

Correct the NI assembly is the equivalent of the Scottish Parliment with a formula to ensure that both communities are fairly represented in government (ie it is not simply majority rules). The DUP and Sinn Fein have been in coalition since the GF agreement.

Ian Paisley Senior (Staunch Unionist) and Martin McGuinness (former IRA member) became good friends after serving as First Minister and Deputy First Minister.  Nevr thought I'd see the day.

The real heros in Northern Irish politics were John Hume (SDLP) and David Trimble (UUP) who cimmitted political suicide for the greater good of the peace of the Island (& Britain)

• Like 3

Taxation policy is set in London, with a block grant given to the NI assembly who then decide on spending.

Funnily enough the DUP and SF join together to argue the size of the block grant with Westminister.  Guess they have some extra leverage now.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Collie said:

Correct the NI assembly is the equivalent of the Scottish Parliment with a formula to ensure that both communities are fairly represented in government (ie it is not simply majority rules). The DUP and Sinn Fein have been in coalition since the GF agreement.

Ian Paisley Senior (Staunch Unionist) and Martin McGuinness (former IRA member) became good friends after serving as First Minister and Deputy First Minister.  Nevr thought I'd see the day.

The real heros in Northern Irish politics were John Hume (SDLP) and David Trimble (UUP) who cimmitted political suicide for the greater good of the peace of the Island (& Britain)

Thanks for explaining. Makes sense now :P i will look into it further myself too. Just good to know these things really. 

11 minutes ago, Johndoe said:

They won't do it. They always campaign on not taking their seats

Correct, not that it makes any difference, the DUP are the Kingmakers

Sinn Fein maintains abstentionist stance as DUP puts out feelers to Tories

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/sinn-fein-maintains-abstentionist-stance-as-dup-puts-out-feelers-to-tories-35805638.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Collie said:

Sinn Fein generally do not take their seats in Westminister (as they refuse to swear an oath of allegience to the Queen) which reduces the number required for a majority to 322 (SF got 7)

It's either a deal with the DUP or LDs, a new election or a minority Govt

Interesting comment that the DUP may not align with the Tories views on A number of issues, most notably brexit, so May could face a lack of partners because of their own obduracy.